As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 03-04-09 Wherein we discuss why Kingpin is a badass

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Graphic Violence
Daredevil #116. Read it. New arc starts this week.

Lucascraft on

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    All of War of Kings. Damn it was so good. The end of Secret Warriors had an awesome resurrection as well. Oh and a personal MotW is picking up the complete Invincible omnibus for less than $90.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Spoiler for DD this week:
    2 Katanas in the back and he lives. Kingpin is seriously the toughest, heartiest bastard ever. Oh, and I'm pretty sure Lady Bullseye is retarded. She screws over Murdock to get him to join the hand, and now she tries the same tactic again on Fisk. Why does she think that fucking up people's lives will make them want to join her ninja club?

Lucascraft on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Picked up Ultimatum 2 today. More of a moment of the weak, for me.
    What the fuck, man. Really? Someone really thought it was okay to have the Blob chewing open Wasp's stomach and eating her intestines?

That was just disgusting. This shit shouldn't happen outside of Marvel zombies. Blob's implied cannibalism was supposed to be like Wanda and Pietro's implied incest - it was implied. Not strewn out in front of us in gory detail.

Ugh. Gonna just ignore this crap and stick with USM.

Nova was good, though.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Haven't read all my pull-list this week, but X-Men First Class Finals #2 was fun as always, and the Coover back up strip was even better (scan below the spoiler)

XMFC2.jpg

Scout's Honor!

TexiKen on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My moment of the week was getting USM #131 and being really moved by JJJ's speech about how he was wrong about Spidey. The rest of the issue was great, but that part was really awesome. Plus the visual looking outside of the office was really well done.

EDIT: Also the death in the issue. D:

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    who died? spoil it for me because I will never read Ultimate Spider-Man

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

And why the hell not Bastard? Btw, the death was...
    Daredevil

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Daredevil

My MotW so far is from Superman: World of New Krypton:
    supermannewkrypton1comm.jpg

Kneel before Kal-El!

KVW on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't know who the guy was at the end of Secret Warriors, can someone tell me his name or link the wiki article on him

smokmnky on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    KVW wrote: »
    Daredevil

My MotW so far is from Superman: World of New Krypton:
    supermannewkrypton1comm.jpg

Kneel before Kal-El!
    Is it just me, or does Zod totally look like a glamboyantly gay artiste in that beret?

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited March 2009
    smokmnky wrote: »
    I don't know who the guy was at the end of Secret Warriors, can someone tell me his name or link the wiki article on him

Havent read it yet (save best for last), but if it's the guy on the cover, it's:

KVW on
    edited March 2009
    Is it just me, or does Zod totally look like a glamboyantly gay artiste in that beret?

The Negative Zone, it changes people.

Also, War of Kings was very good. Pelletier is a great sci-fi artist.
    It would be so great if Black Bolt just screams right in front of Gladiator's head at the end of the story and kills him (and a planet), I'm so sick of the loyalty-bound thing being an excuse for killing innocent people on a wedding day just because some half-breed mutie freak has father issues.

TexiKen on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    What the fuck, man. Really? Someone really thought it was okay to have the Blob chewing open Wasp's stomach and eating her intestines?

That was just disgusting. This shit shouldn't happen outside of Marvel zombies. Blob's implied cannibalism was supposed to be like Wanda and Pietro's implied incest - it was implied. Not strewn out in front of us in gory detail.

Nova was good, though.

ahahahahaha oh jesus fucking christ

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    In regards to WoK,
    Did Ronan die?

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i was actually wondering that myself. they certainly left it ambiguous enough

Diablo Fett on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Also, more of a comment than a question in regards to WoK,
    I realize it's Blackbolt's nature to hold back, but I kind of wish he would've gone "Fuck you, bitch!" to Gladiator before he could punk him. I'm sure they're saving the good fights for the later issues, but still.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited March 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    In regards to WoK,
    Did Ronan die?
    No, he was just beat up a lot. Gang banged, as it were. It looks to be setting up the plot where Crystal will grow feelings for him, as women love that whole "I'll protect you" thing.

Also, holy hell Secret Six #7 was good
    Deadshot was actually keeping the card to get the horde of D-listers away from the team, and results in a fight on the Gotham Bridge, where everyone fights, Bane takes Poison and breaks everyone's back, Alex cuts Ragdoll's fingers off with scissors, and Alex and Tarantula get destroyed by all the powers the villains have thinking they have the card when it was Scandal who had the card....it was awesome

Simone's work on Secret Six is so much better than Wonder Woman.

TexiKen on
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Faynor wrote: »
    In regards to WoK,
    Did Ronan die?
    No, he was just beat up a lot. Gang banged, as it were. It looks to be setting up the plot where Crystal will grow feelings for him, as women love that whole "I'll protect you" thing.
    Yeah I sincerely doubt the scene beforehand with Crystal and Lorna talking about the marriage would be a throw away.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009

Havent read it yet (save best for last), but if it's the guy on the cover, it's:

Just read it. Here's who it actually is:
    Gorgon from Mark Millar's Wolverine run. It's actually the run where Wolverine is brainwashed and becomes part of Hydra. Gorgon was kind of a plot device for that story and was super strong, a genius from birth, healing factor, pyschic and could turn people to stone (hence the name). Wolverine reflected his shit back at him and shattered him in that arc. Also, Gorgon hates Nick Fury since Fury killed the woman he loves.

KVW on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Just read it. Here's who it actually is:
    Gorgon from Mark Millar's Wolverine run. It's actually the run where Wolverine is brainwashed and becomes part of Hydra. Gorgon was kind of a plot device for that story and was super strong, a genius from birth, healing factor, pyschic and could turn people to stone (hence the name). Wolverine reflected his shit back at him and shattered him in that arc. Also, Gorgon hates Nick Fury since Fury killed the woman he loves.

Ugh, that character sounds terrible!

Robos A Go Go on
    edited March 2009
    Re Secret Warriors:

Death apparently has no purpose in comics anymore at the rate the companies are going these days.

TexiKen on
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No Hero #4. It has been a very long time since a comic book disturbed me. D:

muninn on
    edited March 2009
    Re Secret Warriors:

Death apparently has no purpose in comics anymore at the rate the companies are going these days.
    Of course, because every character's death is poignant and deserves to be respected, right?

I don't buy it.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    Iroh wrote: »
    Re Secret Warriors:

Of course, because every character's death is poignant and deserves to be respected, right?

I don't buy it.

no it's just that
    Gorgon died a pretty good death.

And for that matter, I thought Strucker was dead at the end of that Wolverine arc.

It doesn't matter how they die really, but can you at least go a few years before bringing them back? At least try to make it seem like you aren't taking the piss as a publisher?

TexiKen on
    edited March 2009
    Iroh wrote: »
    Re Secret Warriors:

I don't buy it.

no it's just that
    Gorgon died a pretty good death.

And for that matter, I thought Strucker was dead at the end of that Wolverine arc.

It doesn't matter how they die really, but can you at least go a few years before bringing them back? At least try to make it seem like you aren't taking the piss as a publisher?
    Strucker was brought back in New Thunderbolts. Seeing as Millar basically took Strucker away from the Tbolts team when they were using him to fund Mach-1's team and their own plotpoints, I didnt mind them fucking over Millar's story by bringing him back to life / revealing it wasnt the real Strucker that died.

KVW on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Nova was good, though.

Well its not like the internet hasn't given everybody fair warning about ultimatum.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You know, I was thinking about Blob's cannibalism and whether it's a new thing. Back in U.X-Men, when the Brotherhood was rescuing the X-Men from Weapon X, Blob talked about eating people and no one seemed to respond. I don't know if it was just to scare people then, or serious, or what.

mattharvest on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You know, I was thinking about Blob's cannibalism and whether it's a new thing. Back in U.X-Men, when the Brotherhood was rescuing the X-Men from Weapon X, Blob talked about eating people and no one seemed to respond. I don't know if it was just to scare people then, or serious, or what.

I took it as an idle threat, as nothing in Ultimate X-Men ever suggested he was crazy enough to engage in cannibalism.

Robos A Go Go on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I took it as an idle threat, as nothing in Ultimate X-Men ever suggested he was crazy enough to engage in cannibalism.

I love that Jeph Loeb has managed to ignore really important bits of the Ultimates characters, while still going overboard with references in the stupidest ways.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, this is unexpected. I assumed that Sub Mariner #5 was going to cruise right through the finish line and then do a lazy victory lap amidst confetti for my MOTW award. I almost posted it yesterday before reading it, in fact, because I was that confident.

Instead, there's been a tie. I do not feel I was properly warned about how great, well-drawn and lively Spider-man/Human Torch was going to be. The texture of water in the initial opening shot of the people on the boats in the bay, the full page spreads of the villain, Spider-man eating pizza and playing "Rock Hero," pretty much everything from start to finish was much, much better than I expected. I picked it up on a whim and am really glad I did. I almost walked right by it. Now I'm just sad that this is a one-shot issue, because I want to read something exactly like this every month. What else has Juan Doe drawn? All I see online is another FF story from last year, which I must get.

And then there's Sub-Mariner #5. I only know one other person who is reading this, which surprises me. Are people really just not into this? The art is is perfectly balanced between cartoonishness, realism and painterliness. The closeups of peoples' faces as they struggle to keep from just losing their minds tells half the story. Namor himself is terrifying, and my usual summary of the character would be, "Pushy jerk, rules an 'empire' which has no importance at all within Marvel's fiction, ankle wings, wants to fuck Sue Storm." Any use the character after this is doomed to seem lame to me. The whole miniseries has been a wonderful nod to a lot of non-superhero horror comics from mid-century. Now I don't even want to read the Namor/Doom thing in Dark Reign after reading this. It will sully Namor's new awesomeness.

So I guess Spidey/Torch is my light-hearted MOTW and Ankle Wings #5 is my weighty thriller MOTW.

desc on
  • mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Re Secret Warriors:

Have you been paying attention to the past 75 years of the medium? I don't mean to be snarky, but the only purpose that death serves in comics is the story. Just like the only purpose that coming back from the dead serves is the story.

mightyspacepope on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Because making a character death a meaningless occurrence makes for a terrible story.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Because making a character death a meaningless occurrence makes for a terrible story.

I'm tempted to say "all meaningless occurrences make for bad stories", but that's of course not true (see, e.g., the Graduate).

Instead, I'll say this: not every death has to be meaningful, any more than any other occurrence in these stories. I mean, let's face it: Death is an anthropomorphic being in both universes, and many of the primary characters have dealt with Her directly (see, e.g. Infinity Crusade, etc.). The very nature of death as a concept has diminished impact in a world like Marvel/D.C. where not only is there a verified afterlife, but death has been shown to be a revolving door for some.

So, for current writers - decades after these conventions were put in place - to keep writing them just isn't a valid source of criticism. Don't get me wrong, it'd be better if they wrote death more strongly, but they're not being bad writers for doing it.

mattharvest on
    edited March 2009
    The revival of a character that died previously in continuity in no way invalidates the story they died in, or even makes it less meaningful.

The only way that argument flies is if another character is solely defined by his constant grief over that dead person, which is just lazy writing. People get over death, and what one writer chooses to do shouldn't take options off the table for those who come along later.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I would venture that is not so much the 'revolving door' nature of death in these universes that causes difficulties for some readers, rather the facts that some characters seem to be getting frequent flier miles for the journey and some series seem to off characters on an almost timetabled basis.

Wildcat on
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Deadpool was awesome as usual.

I liked the scene in Secret Warriors #2 where Alex is giving everybody a preview of what there furture is going to be like.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    New Avengers: The Reunion was pretty good. Great comedy from Hawkeye but that's always a given. I'm definitely liking Mockingbird's costume redesign.

kfrooster on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    muninn wrote: »

But he's a hero!

Synthetic Orange on
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    muninn wrote: »

But he's a hero!

D:

D:D:D:

muninn on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »

And why the hell not Bastard?

mostly because I am far too lazy to catch up to a story this far along.

but also because, though I like Spider-Man, I never really cared enough to read stuff with him in it that is not Marvel Adventures or Spidey Super Stories.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg