As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Dailyshow/Colbert Report: "Where Roe V Wade is two ways to get across a river."

• RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, I can be entertained by the persona but still think it should have a limit. Sorry, I guess I'm not one of those people in his audience that laughs OH MY GOD AT EVERY SINGLE LINE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

...ahem

Anyway, I guess Santelli got scared and cancelled on TDS? What a shame, that would have been quite the appearance methinks.

Raynaga on
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think Colbert utilizes his audience and celebrity capacity in a very unique way. Sometimes it's amazing to see what a little notoriety and a million viewers can do.

Sort of like how Tom Green gave out his side kicks phone number over live television. I love stuff like that.

ANTVGM64 on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    koalapox.jpg

Henroid on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just catching up on this week's episodes of TDS.

Holy shit Jon has been destroying Limbaugh and O'Reilly in the most hilarious fucking way using their own words. I mean I know that's what he always does, but it's just so fucking great when he can accurately attack someone by using their own bullshit two-faced opinions against them.

Nocturne on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The Doom Bunker was quite possibly the funniest segment of ANYTHING that I've watched all year. And after Baconnaise, that's saying something.

Both of these shows are CLICKING right now. Just two weeks of great material and hilarious comedy.

And people said an Obama presidency would HURT TDS and Colbert...

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    edited March 2009
    I just voted Colbert for the ISS node name. :)

Nocturne on
    edited March 2009
    Oh my god yes The Doom Bunker was the best thing ever.

Next time I will catch up on all episodes first before I twitter-post in this thread.

Nocturne on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The Doom Bunker was quite possibly the funniest segment of ANYTHING that I've watched all year. And after Baconnaise, that's saying something.

Both of these shows are CLICKING right now. Just two weeks of great material and hilarious comedy.

And people said an Obama presidency would HURT TDS and Colbert...

It's great because they take shots at Obama directly, legit shots often, but a lot of the time they're doing a play on the criticism that idiots make. Or they go after the major critical political leaders directly.

I knew the Republican party would still provide material for them, only it is indirectly with a non-Republican president.

Henroid on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just watched a couple clips on the website.

"Disgruntled diner and Republican chairman Michael Steele" made me laugh more than it should have.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Just watched a couple clips on the website.

"Disgruntled diner and Republican chairman Michael Steele" made me laugh more than it should have.
    It's a running joke. Thank the gods for Jim Henson.

Fencingsax on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, John Stewart destroying CNBC's credibility as a financial news and opinion source was glorious.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah CNBC got it's ASS handed to itself.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Man, John Stewart destroying CNBC's credibility as a financial news and opinion source was glorious.

Never cancel an appearance on Jon Stewart's show appears to be the lesson this week.

Bogart on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Bogart wrote: »

Never cancel an appearance on Jon Stewart's show appears to be the lesson this week.

Yeah, that one segment was more pointed and effective than all of Letterman's weeklong bitching about McCain not going on his show during the election.

KalTorak on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Well, never cancel an appearance on TDS while being an easily-ridiculed hypocrite, at any rate.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

Yeah, that one segment was more pointed and effective than all of Letterman's weeklong bitching about McCain not going on his show during the election.

Yeah, they were being ever so slightly sarcastic in their delivery in order to be able to say "it's a comedy show," but holy shit they just tore the entire network to ribbons.

Jragghen on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Doom Bunker + Overlord Colbernu = the best Colbert ever.

"we would never shoot nuclear weapons at Decepticons"

DanHibiki on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

It was closer to the two months between the cancellation and the election.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

You mean cuz they're a mouthpiece of the investment industry telling people BUY BUY BUY no matter what?

nexuscrawler on
  • SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Holy shit, that Doom Bunker segment had me in hysterics.

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Silver bullets are going to cost so many soybeans...

moniker on
  • ShyftedShyfted Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This was one of the best combos of TDS/Colbert.

I did not expect the extra fog to shoot out from behind Colbert and then eclipse the Colonel.

Shyfted on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Shyfted wrote: »
    This was one of the best combos of TDS/Colbert.

I did not expect the extra fog to shoot out from behind Colbert and then eclipse the Colonel.

I would have started coughing and said it didn't seem to be from Jimmy.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • MatrijsMatrijs Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The Doom Bunker is, bar none, the best thing I've ever seen on Colbert. Maybe the funniest thing I've seen on television.

Matrijs on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Matrijs wrote: »
    The Doom Bunker is, bar none, the best thing I've ever seen on Colbert. Maybe the funniest thing I've seen on television.

I also hope to see the return of the Doom Bunker... for how else will be able to prepare ourselves.

Hell, getting a Colonel to say on television that the U.S. will not fire nuclear missiles at Decepticons was just priceless.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited March 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Matrijs wrote: »

I also hope to see the return of the Doom Bunker... for how else will be able to prepare ourselves.

Hell, getting a Colonel to say on television that the U.S. will not fire nuclear missiles at Decepticons was just priceless.

There was so much awesome packed into that episode.

Nocturne on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    El Kañsas may be the best thing ever.

Gim on
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I know it's already been said many times, but it needs to be said again.
    Best Colbert Report ever.

TubularLuggage on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    They need to shoot a new scene for Transformers 2 where an army officer goes "We can't shoot nuclear weapons at the Decepticons!"

I might see it if they do that.
    No I won't.

Tomanta on
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My girlfriend, who literally watches CNBC all day for her job, is really really pissed off about that segment.

Stewart took a lot of stuff completely out of context and cherry-picked the stupidest stuff from CNBC to generalize about the legitimacy of the entire network.

For example, the woman interviewing Thain in the snow—her supposedly brown-nosing quote was very probably skeptical. Stewart's guest claims CNBC doesn't differentiate between anchors and commentators, which apparently is not true at all. The Ponzi scheme interview was played over and over again on CNBC immediately after they realized it was a Ponzi scheme.

Even Jim Cramer—who on the network is acknowledged as a kind of crackpot—actually did warn about the looming financial crisis in his famous "YOU HAVE NO IDEA" meltdown. And CNBC has plenty of rational and skeptical anchors who rebut the bogus bullshit spewed by people like Santelli and Cramer.

Now, I do not watch CNBC. But Stewart was cherry-picking, and I think it's irresponsible to dismiss an entire 24-hour network on the basis of 8 minutes of mostly out of context clips.

Qingu on
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Qingu wrote: »
    Now, I do not watch CNBC. But Stewart was cherry-picking, and I think it's irresponsible to dismiss an entire 24-hour network on the basis of 8 minutes of mostly out of context clips.

You know that TDS is a comedy show and not a real news program, right?

TubularLuggage on
  • ShyftedShyfted Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And CNBC has plenty of rational and skeptical anchors who rebut the bogus bullshit spewed by people like Santelli and Cramer.

Wait, doesn't this sort of contradict itself? They have bullshit spewing people, but it's cool because they have other people who tell the truth?

Shyfted on
    edited March 2009
    Shyfted wrote: »
    And CNBC has plenty of rational and skeptical anchors who rebut the bogus bullshit spewed by people like Santelli and Cramer.

Wait, doesn't this sort of contradict itself? They have bullshit spewing people, but it's cool because they have other people who tell the truth?

If they have anyone spewing bullshit it invalidates them as a source of investing advice for the general viewer. If they have some people that give bad advice then you should treat everyone as giving bad advice (unless you know a specific commentator that isn't spewing bullshit, but average viewers may not).

This does NOT invalidate them as a general source of business news, however. Being a 24-hour network should :).

Tomanta on
    edited March 2009
    My girlfriend, who literally watches CNBC all day for her job, is really really pissed off about that segment.

Stewart took a lot of stuff completely out of context and cherry-picked the stupidest stuff from CNBC to generalize about the legitimacy of the entire network.

For example, the woman interviewing Thain in the snow—her supposedly brown-nosing quote was very probably skeptical. Stewart's guest claims CNBC doesn't differentiate between anchors and commentators, which apparently is not true at all. The Ponzi scheme interview was played over and over again on CNBC immediately after they realized it was a Ponzi scheme.

Even Jim Cramer—who on the network is acknowledged as a kind of crackpot—actually did warn about the looming financial crisis in his famous "YOU HAVE NO IDEA" meltdown. And CNBC has plenty of rational and skeptical anchors who rebut the bogus bullshit spewed by people like Santelli and Cramer.

So, wait. Someone who watches CNBC all day every day is unhappy that TDS trashed it?

I am shocked. SHOCKED!
    I know it's already been said many times, but it needs to be said again.
    Best Colbert Report ever.

I must be losing my taste for Colbert or something. That segment got a chuckle when Koala Pox's face went skulltacular, and the first mention of El Kansas. Beyond that....meh?

Raynaga on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

I'm curious as to how long this refrain can last for both TDS and TCR. In one respect, yes they're only comedy shows whose sole purposes are to provide entertainment.

However, over the past year or two (probably longer) they seem to be getting elevated amongst the general populace of something that's more than just comedy. At some point, whether or not the shows themselves choose to recognize such, there are questions of whether or not the shows have some responsibility to live up to their new categorizations in terms of accountability for their methods.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited March 2009
    Aegis wrote: »

I'm curious as to how long this refrain can last for both TDS and TCR. In one respect, yes they're only comedy shows whose sole purposes are to provide entertainment.

However, over the past year or two (probably longer) they seem to be getting elevated amongst the general populace of something that's more than just comedy. At some point, whether or not the shows themselves choose to recognize such, there are questions of whether or not the shows have some responsibility to live up to their new categorizations.

For the love of god, we addressed this several pages ago. Rebuttals to the above type of opinion were written by several people including myself, the people espousing opinions like the above never bothered responding, and we're now rehashing it all over again.

Go back and read it when it first came up. Or, even better, here's a quote:
    Raynaga wrote: »
    I've never gotten the primary news source bit. Unless you're fairly current with the news, you'd miss half the jokes to begin with.

And overall I think what it boils down to is that Stewart is at heart a comedian, who happens to have opinions about things. He uses and views TDS as a way to make people laugh and as a springboard for his views/opinions. That doesn't make it news. At most, it makes it commentary.

And the fact that he can have a serious conversation with an O'Reiley or go on Crossfire and destroy people is more of a credit to his intellect as a person than a testimony to some aspiration for journalistic relevance.

Two things I would say to support this, the first being a quote from Colbert referring to when Jon took over TDS (paraphrased): 'One of the first things he did was tell us that he expected us to have an opinion. He didn't care what it was, but that we had to have one."

The second being when Ariana Huffington was one TDS and asked him to blog so that he could share his view/opinion on things. His response was "Why, I have a show?"

Being able to hold an opinion and express it using humor, or confronting/debating people whose view differs from his, doesn't equal playing both sides of the track. Nor does it equal what journalism is supposed (and used) to be. The fact that what is called journalism on the cable networks can sometimes seem so similar to what he does is an indictment on them for not practicing journalism at all, not an indictment against him for being or acting like a journalist and then running for cover when he's criticized.

Raynaga on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If I have to constantly actively try to sift out the bullshit when watching a program, it isn't a very good program, and it would make more sense to just get a different source.

Couscous on
    edited March 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »
    If they have anyone spewing bullshit it invalidates them as a source of investing advice for the general viewer. If they have some people that give bad advice then you should treat everyone as giving bad advice (unless you know a specific commentator that isn't spewing bullshit, but average viewers may not).

This does NOT invalidate them as a general source of business news, however. Being a 24-hour network should :).
    So by your logic, the fact that the NYT employs people like David Brooks and (periodically) William Kristol invalidates everything else their opinion page writes, if not their entire journalistic integrity?

I don't buy it. The fact that many of the anchors on the network dispute and disparage the people Stewart is disputing and disparaging means that you can't just dismiss the entire thing.

Qingu on
    edited March 2009
    Raynaga wrote: »
    So, wait. Someone who watches CNBC all day every day is unhappy that TDS trashed it?

I am shocked. SHOCKED!
    Ad hominem.

Qingu on
    edited March 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »

So by your logic, the fact that the NYT employs people like David Brooks and (periodically) William Kristol invalidates everything else their opinion page writes, if not their entire journalistic integrity?

I don't buy it. The fact that many of the anchors on the network dispute and disparage the people Stewart is disputing and disparaging means that you can't just dismiss the entire thing.

The NYT opinion page is clearly labeled as opinion (whereas 24-hour news networks there is a huge gray area). Also, the NYT opinion page isn't telling people what to do with their money.

Tomanta on
This discussion has been closed.