As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Team Fortress 2: Sandman becomes Nerfbat, Scouts become Emos

• WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No. Sandman isn't anything more than a minor inconvenience unless there are 4 fucking scouts on each fucking team.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Re: Flaky
    Pretty much.

BlindPsychic on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ok cool.
    Also there are 4 scouts on each team so :>
    Also the scout's playstyle should never be "paralyze heavy, run up and kill in 2-3 hits "
    I'm pretty sure that's like... the opposite of how the scout is supposed to work. I mean, can't even double jump.

RubberAC on
  • DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Pffft, stun. Running up behind with the gun/bat is far more rewarding.
    I still dont have any of the weapons unlocked...

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    RubberAC wrote: »
    So is it generally accepted that the Sandman is super ridiculous and makes this game super not-fun?

I just would like to say that I called it :/

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I mean I was all
    oh man I'm gonna get back into TF2 woooooo
    now I'm all
    ewww

RubberAC on
  • FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I find the Sandman stun has a lower mortality rate and speed than being juggled by a demo or soldier, with roughly the same effort needed.

But hey, I fucking love using it so I might be biassed.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cool, I got all my scoot unlocks back.

tofu on
  • ToastmoldToastmold Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think the Sandman probably isn't too bad, but it can be frustrating to die to it.

Toastmold on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    So yeah, besides the natascha thing, this patch has a lot of stuff that sucks.

They got rid of the lock on the stickybomb gun, making the chrage go from kinda useful to totally terrible.

The broke crouchjumping completely, as the slower classes, you can no longer make the crouchjump from sign to ledge on 2-2. You can't crouchjump from the ground to point on 3-1. You can't crouchjump from ground to ledge to higher ledge on 3-2.

Gj.

It's Valve's game, if you don't like it you should stop whining or just stop playing it.

Wrong.
    So very very wrong.

You should complain about the shit you don't like on forums, as the designers read them and if enough people complain about something they will usually look into changing it.

Just rolling over and accepting things you don't like/accept is entirely the wrong response.

I was debating whether to throw [sarcasm] tags around that, but figured enough people were around for the epic failure that was the last thread that I wouldn't need them.

I was wrong, and I am sorry. :P

mcdermott on
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    They just need to make damage break the stun. That way you can't run up to an overhealed heavy with a medic attached and shoot him until he dies. You will still get most the kills as long as you aim correctly, but it will at least give a way of messing up instead of the often free kill that it is now.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rakai wrote: »
    They just need to make damage break the stun. That way you can't run up to an overhealed heavy with a medic attached and shoot him until he dies. You will still get most the kills as long as you aim correctly, but it will at least give a way of messing up instead of the often free kill that it is now.

Except that they made an entire achievement that requires you to kill dudes while stunned, which will often require at least two shots.

mcdermott on
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

They got rid of the lock on the stickybomb gun, making the chrage go from kinda useful to totally terrible.

The broke crouchjumping completely, as the slower classes, you can no longer make the crouchjump from sign to ledge on 2-2. You can't crouchjump from the ground to point on 3-1. You can't crouchjump from ground to ledge to higher ledge on 3-2.

Gj.

It's Valve's game, if you don't like it you should stop whining or just stop playing it.

Wrong.
    So very very wrong.

You should complain about the shit you don't like on forums, as the designers read them and if enough people complain about something they will usually look into changing it.

Just rolling over and accepting things you don't like/accept is entirely the wrong response.

I was debating whether to throw [sarcasm] tags around that, but figured enough people were around for the epic failure that was the last thread that I wouldn't need them.

ENTIRE TEAM IS BABIES

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009

Gj.

Wrong.
    So very very wrong.

heh I was even part of that argument.

Just not a sarcasm friendly line. :P

Morkath on
  • remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    palmer/remlap - good playing with you tonight duder, hope to see you around!

OMGZ! That was honestly some of the most fun I've had playing a MP game in so long. I actually can't even remember the last time. I don't even remember you being in there Sith but I'll take your word on it. Even though I stunk up the joint, finishing either last or 2nd last or 3rd last each round it was a blast.

I look forward to killin more mans and healin dudes with you all again!

remlap13 on
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I did this back around Christmas. Some of the posing isn't up to par, but there were a bunch of frames to do. Sorry I can't embed; Youtube got fussy about the music, and motionbox doesn't embed into forum posts.

http://www.motionbox.com/videos/0a9cdcb71912edc587

Also stats :P

statsizj.jpg
    w916.png

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think engineer isn't the best class to start with. It's a simple class to play for the most part, but they really need a small amount of understanding of the map, really. Trial and error with sentries really isn't an option, and engineers have the worst time learning the maps.

Bruce Forsyth on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Except that they made an entire achievement that requires you to kill dudes while stunned, which will often require at least two shots.

I don't understand the stun. Sometimes I'll stun a guy, be able to run up to him from 50 ft away, shoot and he'll be dead before the stun wears off.

Other times I'll stun a guy from 5 ft away, start running up to him, the stun will wear off and before I can click shoot he'll pump my face full of lead.

It seems rather inconsistent on its duration.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Aegis wrote: »

I don't understand the stun. Sometimes I'll stun a guy, be able to run up to him from 50 ft away, shoot and he'll be dead before the stun wears off.

Other times I'll stun a guy from 5 ft away, start running up to him, the stun will wear off and before I can click shoot he'll pump my face full of lead.

The further the ball travels, the longer the stun lasts.

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Exin wrote: »
    I think engineer isn't the best class to start with. It's a simple class to play for the most part, but they really need a small amount of understanding of the map, really. Trial and error with sentries really isn't an option, and engineers have the worst time learning the maps.

it comes with learning where the metal is, where the enemies are coming from, and where your vital objectives are

which you really can't understand straight off the bat, even with tf2

Nuzak on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

The factor which determines duration is the distance.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited March 2009
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

The factor which determines duration is the distance.

That's the way it's supposed to work but it bugs out sometimes.

tofu on
    edited March 2009
    Added a new comic to my Dead vs Blue gallery.

Comic probably won't make much sense if you haven't read the ones before (or at least some of the regular Iosif comics), so just clicky on poster to link to the gallery:
    Dead_Versus_Blue_by_IosifTheEngineer.jpg

If you are too lazy to browse for yourself, just say something and I will start posting them here gradually.

Knuckle Dragger on

- John Stuart Mill
  • EdgieEdgie TampaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    imthebestb.jpg

I'm just going to leave this here...

Edgie on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey

hey

guess what

bonk grants immunity to telefrag

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Oh damn. What happens then?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    fly3.jpg

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    edited March 2009
    Edgie wrote: »
    imthebestb.jpg

I'm just going to leave this here...
    too bad there's no number on there that makes a sniper useful

tofu on
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So when is next HONC night?
    I want two servers to be semi-full again instead of just one full forever.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Moar liek
    32247173.jpg

Panda4You on
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    pl_goldrush0007-1.jpg

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ouch.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    pl_goldrush0007-1.jpg
    Hell yeah 8-)

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • martymarty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    double postin' dis bitch
    They need some shakeups to the CTF format:

reverse CTF maps (football maps) where you start with the enemy flag in your base and your capture point in the enemy base (like torch2)
    semi-reverse CTF maps where you grab the flag in one part of the enemy base and capture it somewhere else in their base (like rock2)
    multiple-flag CTF where you have more than 2 flags that start out in the middle or at multiple "fighting areas" around the map and you hold & capture them for points (like flagrun)
    security CTF maps where you have to disable a power grid or break a wall to get access to the intel (like shutdown)

and other stuff that would be nice:

5-point maps where you can capture any point at any time and you get points for holding them/capping them all (like canalzone)

Tbh, CTF was only fun when the pace was matched it, as in Q3 and the original TFC. Because TF2 doesn't have that sheer blinding speed that other DM orientated games have, CTF comes off as tired. I just never have the patience to play CTF proper (ie excluding bballl lololol), because it's a chore going back and forth. Reverse CTF could work, but it's quite similar to the CP structure anyway, it's just advancing but with a flag to cap points, as opposed to feet on the ground.
    The only enjoyable CTF maps in TF2 tend to be the small ones, where the distance between caps isn't that great but the variety of terrain means that any class is viable. Reducing the distance for ctf_well made a huge difference, but not enough that people think "hmm it is ctf_well next, I shall appropriate a threshold for the joy that I am about to extol at this joyous news, for it is a good day to be me". If valve were to make it so that flag was in that area with the manhole to the water and the ladder to the upper areas, and cut out the backs of the base, or even just have the flags by the bridges outside the base, and make the base entrances respawns, I'd probably be more inclined to play it.
    Feel free to disagree with me, I enjoy dongs.

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited March 2009
    Marty's pretty much right about CTF. It's extremely fun when it's this fast paced, insta-respawn affair, but the slower pace of TF2 and the difficulty of bypassing the typical countless sentries makes it a very long and drawn out affair (if it doesn't just stalemate). It's also almost impossible to defend the intel without resorting to sentries, because the intel will lay on the ground forever and will just get moved 5 feet at a time back to the enemy base, so the only defense is to make sure they never take the intel in the first place.

P10 on
  • busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Since this thread is quite fast-moving, I think it's OK to ask my question again, since it didn't really get much attention the last time:

Would it be possible for me to buy the game (Orange box) physically here in Germany and then use the key to download the US version from Steam?

busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    pl_goldrush0007-1.jpg
    Hell yeah 8-)
    Point at ground, left click.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    edited March 2009
    pl_goldrush0007-1.jpg
    Hell yeah 8-)
    Point at ground, left click.
    You must have me confused with someone else, as I don't disdain Pyros, I disdain Snipers.

P10 on
  • martymarty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Also, can we please refrain from Jennings videos, they are neither funny nor entertaining. They are the equivalent of a gestating loa loa worm bursting forth from its warm sarcophagus more commonly known as your eye.

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Exin wrote: »
    That's the change your chose to post? The completely meaningless fix? Maybe if it affected gameplay in anyway like fake crits.

Uh yes, because everyone can just right click on the game in steam and check the full update out themselves and I pointed out something that bugs me a lot.

Fuga on
This discussion has been closed.