As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's Vin Diesel Week! Wheelman / Dark Athena demos for 360 and PS3

darleysamdarleysam On my way toUKRegistered User regular
edited March 2009 in Games and Technology

I know we've got both a thread for Dark Athena (looks awesome, get excited) and a Let's Play for Butcher Bay, so I guess this can focus more on The Wheelman, which has a demo available to download right now on Xbox Live.

Sure it looks like it might be rubbish, but who doesn't love Vin Diesel either shooting or stabbing dudes, and then driving really fast and pulling some car acrobatics?

Get The Wheelman!

Get Dark Athena!

forumsig.png
darleysam on

• PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Edit title to reflect the Live-Only-ness of the Riddick offer please? :P

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Edit title to reflect the Live-Only-ness of the Riddick offer please? :P
    Yeah, I got all excited till I figured out it's only for XBL and my 360 is sent for repairs.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    There we go, you ugly people.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, G&T has some serious crotchheat for Vinny D.

I've finally come home.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You know what I miss about Riddick in these games? He's no longer a character. He's a stereotype. In Pitch Black he was a character. He got angry, he got amused.. hell he even broke out laughing at one point when it started raining out of the blue (black?) on the desert planet when they only had fire as a light source left. He was less of a character in Chronicles, and he's pretty much a 1-dimension badass in Butcher Bay (and from what I can tell, dark athena too).

All he does is run around and speak threateningly in his a low, gravely voice. Even when he's saying something funny, it's in the same damn voice without any inflection or hint of emotion.

Undead Scottsman on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wheelman gets an automatic 15% score reduction if they do not put in an achievement called "Diesel Engine" or similar.

Seriously, if that's not in there, it's considered a bug.

subedii on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You know what I miss about Riddick in these games? He's no longer a character. He's a stereotype. In Pitch Black he was a character. He got angry, he got amused.. hell he even broke out laughing at one point when it started raining out of the blue (black?) on the desert planet when they only had fire as a light source left. He was less of a character in Chronicles, and he's pretty much a 1-dimension badass in Butcher Bay (and from what I can tell, dark athena too).

All he does is run around and speak threateningly in his a low, gravely voice. Even when he's saying something funny, it's in the same damn voice without any inflection or hint of emotion.

I have to agree with you there. As much as I like Riddick, he's a pretty flat character now. Hell, in Pitch Black, he is quite obviously disturbed when what's-her-name gets eaten. Not in a stereotypical "I will kill anything" way, but in a "that just isn't right" way. He actually liked the chick and then BAM, she's gone and he's all screwed up over how he feels about it.

Also, Dark Athena demo! Hell yes!

Ninja Snarl P on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I played the Riddick Demo last night. Had some fun but I think it could've used more improvements. Maybe it's nostalgia speaking but the game looks pretty much the same as the Xbox version but in a higher resolution.

Riddick's character model for example doesn't look anymore detailed than he was on Xbox. You can clearly see the low poly count when you see how blocky (compared to today's better looking games) his shoulders are.

And the enemy AIs seemed pretty dumb for the most part: They easily forget where you are if you move back a little bit, and you can often see them staring stupidly at walls in the corner of a room for multiple seconds.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    edited March 2009

I have to agree with you there. As much as I like Riddick, he's a pretty flat character now. Hell, in Pitch Black, he is quite obviously disturbed when what's-her-name gets eaten. Not in a stereotypical "I will kill anything" way, but in a "that just isn't right" way. He actually liked the chick and then BAM, she's gone and he's all screwed up over how he feels about it.

This is one of the better parts of the movie, as Fry had just said "I said I'd die for them Riddick, not you!" and then she gets killed, and Riddick is stuck with the fact that she died trying to SAVE him, and neither she nor he felt that was how things should have gone. She wasn't supposed to die for him.

Made him frying the critters with the ships exhaust all the more awesome.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Wheelman gets an automatic 15% score reduction if they do not put in an achievement called "Diesel Engine" or similar.

:lol:

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Since this is the G&T VD Fan thread, I figure I'd post this here:

New Riddick Movies?

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
    edited March 2009
    One of the rumors I've heard is that they got they'll only get the green light if they accept a much smaller budget. Luckily, Pitch Black (IMO, the better film) was made on a budget of 23-million, so they should be able to make due.

If anyone is wondering, Pitch Black cost 23 million to make, and made 39 million in the US (53 million worldwide), while Chronicles cost 105 million to make and made less than 58 million in the US (though it made 115 million worldwide)

Undead Scottsman on
    edited March 2009
    subedii wrote: »

On a related note, I need to add something to the OP.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wheelman is pretty bad. It's an interesting concept but the execution/polish just isn't there.

tofu on
  • StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

This is one of the better parts of the movie, as Fry had just said "I said I'd die for them Riddick, not you!" and then she gets killed, and Riddick is stuck with the fact that she died trying to SAVE him, and neither she nor he felt that was how things should have gone. She wasn't supposed to die for him.

Made him frying the critters with the ships exhaust all the more awesome.

This is why Pitch Black is one of my favorite movies, and not Chronicles. They literally took his humanity away. Making him this last survivor of a warrior race, like he's genetically disposed to be cold and badass, ruined the character.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wheelman is so hilariously and ridiculously over the top I want more, or in the very least, I want to be able to air jack in other games.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • SanguineAngelSanguineAngel Lord Centre of the UniverseRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I like all the Riddick products. But Pitch Black is deffinitely my favourite.

The part y'all are chatting about is deffinitely the best bit too.
    For me it's because the way they shoot it, the initial implication is that Riddick stabbed her. AND IT IS BELIEVABLE THAT HE WOULD!

You are all correct that he lost a lot of character. I would have prefered that he remained a murderer and not some "Missunderstood sole survivor of an ancient race". Still, Chronicles diffinitely had it's own personailty.

Butchers Bay though, deffinitely had a TON of personality. Riddick was more of a straight man in it, but he still had ISSUES and the presentation really drew you in. and it was still vrey dark. (Especially if you were like me and did some of the less scrupulous things!)

SanguineAngel on
    steam_sig.png
  • StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I saw Chronicles twice in the theaters and bought the DVD the week it came out. The feeling I got leaving the theater each time was I just watched a D&D movie. Like it was a well written D&D adventure, fantasy through and through. Pitch Black gives me the sci-fi, horror, thriller, drama feeling; just a well rounded great fucking film.

Butcher Bay was fun, but the end doesn't fit at all. Not in the slighest. The rest of the game, crawling around in the dark, dragging bodies into corners to avoid detection, tons of fun.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Did anyone else not like the parts where you control the drones in the demo? I liked stabbing people way more but they force you to shoot quite a few people and its annoying to control

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is there any word on us ugly PS3 owners getting these demos?

UnbreakableVow on
    edited March 2009
    Is there any word on us ugly PS3 owners getting these demos?

I believe Dark Athena is coming later in the month, not heard about Wheelman yet.
    Which I probably won't play until monday or tuesday, since I've got a busy weekend and don't know when abouts I'll be able to download it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Wheelman is so hilariously and ridiculously over the top I want more, or in the very least, I want to be able to air jack in other games.

Oh god yes. I was sad that it didn't really let me roam around.

Air Jacking is the next bullettime. I wish.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Air Jacking is a terrible name, also.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    There is also the Wanted demo where you play on an airplane available on XBL.

Here's a surprise for you. It doesn't suck ass.

Shooting is fun, moving from cover works well, and melees are pretty cool. Bullettime has been done before but its pretty cool how you can switch to cover and everything slows down if you have enough adrenaline. Really helps you out, not like most games where you spam it the whole level. Also, the "Easy" difficulty is called "Pussy." That is reason enough.

On the downside, the levels look like ass. And curving the bullet is weird considering you can't get out of it once you start the animation. Also, making it a little more powerful would be nice. As it stands, only a shot to the head counts as a one-hit kill. You would think they would make the main move a little more powerful, but I guess they tried to keep it so that people didn't spam it. Still, nothing quite as satisfying as curving a bullet into a fire extinguisher and having the door of the plane blow up and the enemy get flung out.

liquidlogan on
  • xboxxerxboxxer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, so haven't d/l'ed the Riddick demo, but the screenshots do not impress.

I feel badly for Starbreeze/Tigon. The first Riddick game was awesome -- it was innovative with the fading HUD, the true FPS camera, the amazing normal mapped graphics. Shame it wasn't a blockbuster hit.

And then ... everyone else in the industry caught up and passed them.

The Darkness was OK fun, but the graphics seemed very weird, and not impressive at all. They didn't ramp up enough with the 360. It was _definitely_ not the leap that Butcher Bay was over everything else on the oXbox.

Ditto this. The graphics seem on par with other contemporary games.

And then, to have the game be largely a rehash of a game I already played? Not excited, sorry. (though I understand that they're adding a bunch of NEW content, I'm not sure why they didn't just do a whole new game). Not sure why they're doing this -- Killzone 1 didn't do that well on the PS2, but you don't see Sony rereleasing a ramped up version on the PS3 -- they went ahead and made a full on sequel. If you didn't play K1, too bad.

xboxxer on
    PSN: Entair / XBLive: White Seraph
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So how are the games? Any good?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    what happened to vin diesel's carreer? is it like something out of entourage where he pissed off the wrong people by refusing to do XXX 2 (I remember how everyone was convinced they had an American James Bond series...only for the real James Bond to go and take inspiration from Bourne)

Sam on
    edited March 2009
    xboxxer wrote: »

I feel badly for Starbreeze/Tigon. The first Riddick game was awesome -- it was innovative with the fading HUD, the true FPS camera, the amazing normal mapped graphics. Shame it wasn't a blockbuster hit.

And then ... everyone else in the industry caught up and passed them.

The Darkness was OK fun, but the graphics seemed very weird, and not impressive at all. They didn't ramp up enough with the 360. It was _definitely_ not the leap that Butcher Bay was over everything else on the oXbox.

Ditto this. The graphics seem on par with other contemporary games.

And then, to have the game be largely a rehash of a game I already played? Not excited, sorry. (though I understand that they're adding a bunch of NEW content, I'm not sure why they didn't just do a whole new game). Not sure why they're doing this -- Killzone 1 didn't do that well on the PS2, but you don't see Sony rereleasing a ramped up version on the PS3 -- they went ahead and made a full on sequel. If you didn't play K1, too bad.

Especially given that the Riddick series isn't exactly Star Wars. No one cares about the story.

Sam on
  • liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wheelman is not bad. Its just mediocre. And the formula is tired.

Dark Athena is Butcher Bay. I think that summarizes it pretty nicely. If you liked it, you'll like this. Mostly because its the same.

And, as I've said, Wanted is cool. And you can cancel out of the curving by hitting B as you are holding RB. Definitely would give wanted a shot, even if my eyes will want me dead afterwards for playing such an ugly game.

liquidlogan on
    edited March 2009
    xboxxer wrote: »

It was really innovative, immersive and definitely looked better than basically any other FPS. That being said it wasn't the best game, it had a lot of really slow/frustrating parts, and there really isn't much motivation to play through again, except maybe through checkpoints of some parts...

I have to say that no game has ever pulled off a "release" the way Riddick did though. Getting in the fatsuit near the end and just blowing away all those enemies when you've been stuck running from them/sneaking around with a shiv/rationing ammo the entire game was one of my favorite moments of any game.

Sam on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just d/l'd Wheelman and I gotta say it was fun. It was like GTA meets Burnout. Nothing spectacular, but it was def. fun! I think it'd be a great $30-$40 game

DrunkMc on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Isn't Dark Athena a sequel that just happens to have the entire original game tied to it?

Turkey on
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sam wrote: »
    what happened to vin diesel's carreer? QUOTE]

Fast and the Furious.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    mastrius wrote: »
    what happened to vin diesel's carreer?

Fast and the Furious.

Fast and the Furious is the movie that made him.

Pacifier is what killed him, for a while.

Thankfully, he's back. :D
    Anyone who thinks this movie is going to be anything less than off the fucking hook is crazy.

The first Fast and the Furious was awesome, and it was all because of Vin Diesel.

There, I said it.

Recoil42 on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    Turkey wrote: »
    Isn't Dark Athena a sequel that just happens to have the entire original game tied to it?
    I think it's more akin to an expansion. And it has an enhanced remake of the old game attached.

Where's my PC demo?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    yay for server busy!

ghost_master2000 on
  • Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Recoil42 wrote: »

Fast and the Furious.

Anyone who thinks this movie is going to be anything less than off the fucking hook is crazy.

The first Fast and the Furious was awesome, and it was all because of Vin Diesel.

There, I said it.

I was bummed when Riddick completely bombed -- it was such a spectacle. It woulda made a cool trilogy.

Ant000 on
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ant000 wrote: »

Fast and the Furious.

There, I said it.

I was bummed when Riddick completely bombed -- it was such a spectacle. It woulda made a cool trilogy.

Vin Talks Riddick Sequel
    He said: "Maybe we've been too tight lipped about the next Chronicles of Riddick film, and I think circa the release of [Dark Athena] that's probably when you'll start hearing more about the next Riddick film."

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rakai wrote: »
    Ant000 wrote: »

Fast and the Furious.

There, I said it.

Vin Talks Riddick Sequel
    He said: "Maybe we've been too tight lipped about the next Chronicles of Riddick film, and I think circa the release of [Dark Athena] that's probably when you'll start hearing more about the next Riddick film."

The original fast and furious was fucking rad, and then Vin was not in the other two, and it made them suck balls.

I also like all the Riddick films a lot, and even though the second flick didnt do as well as the first the franchise obviously has a pretty decent following regardless.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/