As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Juicers, worth it?

stixs4321stixs4321 Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been thinking about buying a juicer and well juicing. I have some questions from people who've personally used one and those are;
Did it improve your immune system?
Did it improve your digestion?
Did it improve your skin tone?
Did it improve energy levels?
Did it improve certain medical conditions of yours?

To those that juice, what do you juice on a regular basis? Are all models the same or is there enough difference to justify $100 price differences.

stixs4321 on

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    No, on all 5 counts. Tastes good, though.

The better models are indeed better overall. You can press harder without them jamming, they get more juice out of each half, they're easier to clean. However, it's the overall power you're looking for, not swoopy metal lines. Cheaper models use plastic for the gears, leading to burned out machines if you work them too hard. As the entire point of a juicer is to work hard, it, uh, kind of seems to defeat the point.

My dad's also tried out one, but he got it through work (didn't research it much) and he says he'd rather have a manual lever one. You know, the kind you see at festivals at the lemonade stands.

There's no reason that fresh juice should do any of the 5 things you mention, though, unless you're deficient in certain vitamins and never consume fruits otherwise.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2007
    I totally thought this was going to be about steroids.

Tube on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Or the RIFTS rpg

Panda4You on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    EggyToast wrote: »
    No, on all 5 counts. Tastes good, though.

The better models are indeed better overall. You can press harder without them jamming, they get more juice out of each half, they're easier to clean. However, it's the overall power you're looking for, not swoopy metal lines. Cheaper models use plastic for the gears, leading to burned out machines if you work them too hard. As the entire point of a juicer is to work hard, it, uh, kind of seems to defeat the point.

My dad's also tried out one, but he got it through work (didn't research it much) and he says he'd rather have a manual lever one. You know, the kind you see at festivals at the lemonade stands.

There's no reason that fresh juice should do any of the 5 things you mention, though, unless you're deficient in certain vitamins and never consume fruits otherwise.
    I've always been hearing about all these amazing claims that juicing has but figured it was over exagerated.
    I figured some people would and thats why I didn't name it "Juicing, is it worth it?".

stixs4321 on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Even after the first post too, man was I confused

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    At that point, wouldn't it just make sense to, uh, eat the fruit? You get fiber then, too.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think the idea is that you can throw a couple of potatoes and a mango in the juicer and chug them down way faster then you could eat them

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I think the idea is that you can throw a couple of potatoes and a mango in the juicer and chug them down way faster then you could eat them
    I love potatoe juice.... I eat plenty of fruits and veggies already. I was just looking at a way to get a little bit of an extra bang for my buck you could say. I think I'll stick with eating my fruits/veggies for now.

Thanks for the replies guys.

stixs4321 on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've never actually tried straight pototo juice

doesn't it turn that horrible brown color that rusted potatos turn?

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The only benefit you get from juicing is that you have something you can carry around in a cup, instead of eating the whole actual whatever. Some people seem to forget that in the case of fruit juice, yeah it's all natural, but it's still got a lot of sugar in it and drinking lots of fruit juice will cause those calories to add up.

Gabriel_Pitt on