As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

To Xbox, or not to Xbox: that is my question

QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I've been wanting an Xbox 360 for quite some time now (over a year, at least), but have never committed the funds to actually purchasing one. Now that the time for tax returns has come around, I've decided to either spend some of mine on an Xbox or save it away. If I decide to go ahead and buy one, I'm debating between a used Pro system on eBay for $200 and a new system from Dell for $225-240. The used system is the Falcon chipset, has not been registered on Live (or so they say), and is still under manufacture warranty.

So I guess I have three questions, really. First, does this seem like a good idea? Or should I just save it away and keep waiting? And second, to all you Xbox owners, do you like it? Are you glad you spent the money to buy one? How's the multiplayer experience? Finally, is it unwise to go with a used system, or is the saved money worth it?

Thanks for any input! :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
QuarterMaster on

• mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Don't buy one on ebay. Get a new one, the pro model, with the hard drive.

I use my 360 almost every day for 2-3 hours. I'm involved in an NCAA dynasty at 360arcadians.net that has been ongoing since September 2008, 10 of us just playing together all the time. MP is the best out there.

What games are you interested in? There are tons of great ones.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Its a great system with a great bunch of games for it but the reliability sucks. I've been a 360 owner for about 4 years now and I'm on my 3'rd box (first one lasted one night! D:). But if you're willing to accept that at some point it WILL break which isnt so bad thanks to the 3 years warranty it's a pretty good console.

EDIT: For the love of god just buy a new one and get the full three year warranty. The small amount of extra cash is worth it for the extra security and peace of mind.

Casual on
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you buy it used wont the warranty be void?

Also, you really want to get a new Jasper, to avoid the RROD as much as possible.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've been leaning toward the new one, for the reasons you've listed so far: Jasper, full warranty, etc. Although I was under the impression that MS would honor the warranty as long as you had proof that the system now belonged to you? I'm one of those people who has a hard time spending a large chunk of cash (especially now), but as you've said, it would probably be worth the extra money for the peace of mind.

As far as games go, I'm mostly into FPS and racing (NFS, etc.), as well as a few RPG's. Not so much the sport games. A bunch of my friends have the system as well, which is why multiplayer is so important to me. The multimedia features sound pretty cool too, though I mostly use my computer for that kind of thing.

e: It seems like some of the systems coming from Dell are the Falcon's. Seems to be hit-or-miss. Going off of the SlickDeals forums, BTW.

QuarterMaster on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you buy it used wont the warranty be void?

Also, you really want to get a new Jasper, to avoid the RROD as much as possible.

Not unless it was modded. Warranties transfer.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yes, just to clarify what was said: most 360's now in stores are much much much less likely to die on you.

Sharp101 on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    As far as games go, I'm mostly into FPS and racing (NFS, etc.), as well as a few RPG's. Not so much the sport games. A bunch of my friends have the system as well, which is why multiplayer is so important to me. The multimedia features sound pretty cool too, though I mostly use my computer for that kind of thing.

Yeah, no-brainer, pick it up and pick up Forza 2 as your first game, CoD4 or Halo 3 as your second.

Also, I wouldn't really worry too much about the failure, honestly. I've had mine since August 06, it failed once in August 07, I got a new one, it has been fine since (knock on wood). If it does fail, it is likely only a 2 week downtime.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The 360 has probably become one of the best gaming investments I have ever made. Multiplayer is great, the xbox live arcade has tons of titles, and I have bought many of them. The ability to watch movies and tv series (netflix) on it keeps me entertained for hours. I haven't found many big titles that keep me really interested but for some reason I can sit and play castle crashers for 3 or 4 hours at a time. It's freaking wonderful.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
    edited March 2009
    The reason I'm tempted to get the used system is because I might end up getting a Falcon from Dell anyway, so I might as well save $40 and put that toward a Live Gold membership. And it still has about 2 years of warranty left on it.

Or am I still being too miserly? :P

QuarterMaster on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The reason I'm tempted to get the used system is because I might end up getting a Falcon from Dell anyway, so I might as well save $40 and put that toward a Live Gold membership. And it still has about 2 years of warranty left on it.

You'd be saving $40 by running a much higher risk of spending $120 (for a repair) or full price for a new console when that one craps out.
    Also, that "two years of warranty left"? The full warranty only covers one year unless you purchase an extended warranty, the three-year guarantee is only for the RROD. That can be translated to "just out of warranty".

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Yeah do not go for the ebay one - considering how much the 360s break (or broke in the past) I wouldn't trust it.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

As others have said man for the $40 it saves you it really isnt worth the extra hassle if it does break.

Casual on
  • TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    JHunz wrote: »

You'd be saving $40 by running a much higher risk of spending $120 (for a repair) or full price for a new console when that one craps out.
    Also, that "two years of warranty left"? The full warranty only covers one year unless you purchase an extended warranty, the three-year guarantee is only for the RROD. That can be translated to "just out of warranty".

If you're buying the extended warranty from a big box store they pretty much will only cover RROD errors, as well. I would suggest against the extended warranty from a store, and stick with the Microsoft 3 year.

Topia on
  • KevdogKevdog Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The other risk you run buying used off ebay is getting a console that's been banned from Live. It really is worth the extra $40 to buy new.

Kevdog on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Not like you need another person telling you to get one, but I was in the same boat a while ago. Really wanted to get on the wagon cuz the Wii was gathering dust, but never really wanted to commit the funds. Luckily my little brother did himself, and so we have one now. Really, I wish I got on it sooner. It's sooooo worth it. And I only have two games. Seriously, do it. Get a new one though, just for the security.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You'll definitely want to get a new one, for reasons that have already been specified. As far as the console goes, I've had one for about 3 years now, and I love it. My first one died after about a year and a half, and I've had my current one since then. It's annoying to have to send them in to get fixed, but the turnaround time from MS is so fast that it's hardly noticeable unless you LIVE on your xbox.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm a Nintendo fanboy, and I bought a Wii at launch. I bought an XBox last year, and I've played it more than the Wii. I own about 10 or 15 more games for the XBox than the Wii. Random deaths aside, it is a great console, and worth buying.

AnteCantelope on
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Buying a 360 was a great choice for me. I have been using GameFly and renting only 360 games with it, and as of my 7th month of membership I still haven't run out of games I want to try. This goes along with 15 or so I've bought, and I have another 10-15 in my queue that come out over the next few months. I'm not even including genres I'm not into, like sports and sims!

Ganluan on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Let me put it to you this way: if your Falcon dies, you will NOT get a Jasper from Microsoft as a replacement. Ever. When I upgraded, I discovered the power cords are different and incompatible with each other. And since you only send in the system and not the cord, they have to send you a system that fits the cord. So essentially, you'll be stuck on the hamster wheel of repairs forever.

I can tell you that the Jasper is totally worth it. It's much, much quieter than my old model and runs cooler to boot.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Pvt JonesPvt Jones Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Buy a new one for sure. From a fanboy-agnostic viewpoint, they are awesome. Software catalogue beats all.

Pvt Jones on
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I never pictured myself buying a microsoft console, but after some time spent playing a friend's and an opportunity to pick up a Pro console for $150 I finally caved. I've got to say that I love my 360 more than I ever thought I would.

It finally broke down not too long ago and I had to undergo the process of sending it back. After getting some things sorted out it was actually surprisingly painless. They sent me a label, and turnaround time was about a week all together.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Do it, all the cool kids are.

In reality though i used to be a huge Sony fanboy, and i never would have thought i'd buy an Xbox after the giant pile of fail the original one was comapared to the PS3. But i went Xbox this gen, and i havn't looked back. I find now i have no desire to own any Sony console other than PS2.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    For what it's worth, I bought my 360 from eBay, it was already registered to some dude in Ireland (I'm in England) and I bought it from a guy in Scotland. The original receipt was included and I had no problem with MS support re-registering it to me and replacing it both times it broke down (within a week both times), as well as refunding all my MS points due to the old DRM issue and getting a code for Hexic HD because the previous owner had formatted the HDD.

It was manufactured in Feb 05, and I bought it in August 05.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited March 2009
    Alright, I'm convinced. I was teetering on the edge, but I just found out that I get severance pay on Monday, and that pushed me over. I'll probably order one tonight or tomorrow from Dell, since a new one seems like a better idea. So does $240 for a Pro sound reasonable?

e: Well, I ended up just ordering one. Should get it in the next few days! I'm super excited. :) Thanks everyone!

QuarterMaster on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I own both an Xbox 360 and an PS3 now, though I've had my Xbox 360 for more than three years now and have been immensely satisfied with it (never had to send it in, but I'm generally very cautious). It gets a lot more use than my recently-purchased PS3.

I'm sure you'll be happy with your decision. :)

Synthesis on