As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX PC Ideas

• VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You should have non-LAN events in the BYOC.

For instance, an on-the-spot contest to see who can sing "Never gonna give you up" most accurately to Rick Astley's voice. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You should have non-LAN events in the BYOC.

For instance, an on-the-spot contest to see who can sing "Never gonna give you up" most accurately to Rick Astley's voice. =)

Im going to stab you.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited February 2009
    Awww =) But I <3 you so much Red! =)

VThornheart on
  • BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Don't think thats going to give him a moments hesitation in still carrying through in stabbing you repeatedly in the face :P

But doing something off the pc might work as well like paper airplanes.

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
    edited February 2009
    Paper airplanes would definitely be fun. =)

Also, I'd like to avoid being stabbed. I get the feeling that this will not be possible, however. =)

VThornheart on
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited February 2009
    So I'm always trying to integrate things into the main intranet site, and I came across this:

http://dragonprimelogd.net/home.php?

The idea being that if the game is fueled by php/mysql, it would be very easy for it to send information over to the intranet page so people can see what's going on in the game to post levels and other assorted news. It also becomes very reasonable to customize certain encounters and other stuff for PAX, which may be of interest?

David Coffman on
    edited February 2009
    Ah! True! Legend of the Green Dragon could be a good substitute for Legend of the Red Dragon in this case... though the nostalgia factor of connecting through a telnet connection on the intranet can't be denied. =)

VThornheart on
    edited February 2009
    Entirely true.

David Coffman on
    edited February 2009
    What would be cool... and I can do this if I get some spare time... would be to make a web service that reads LoRD's datfiles and could be used to get realtime updates on the status of the game (who did what, what everyone's rank is etc...)

If I remember correctly from my IGN investigation days (I learned a lot about LoRD trying to make an IGN that I never completed), some of the datfiles are plaintext, and the others are well documented binary formats that we can parse and interpret to serve any purpose.

Then you could use that web service in some neat way, like pipe it through to an announcement screen or something that everyone can see. =)

VThornheart on
  • algorythymalgorythym Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ghrog wrote: »
    Hey dave, why don't you make a PAX PC Room 2009 Steam Group.

And use it.

9001x This

algorythym on
    algorythym.gif
    Someone let me algorhythm (steve_0990) into the PA Steam group
  • Raptor007Raptor007 Seattle, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It'd be awesome to have a Falcon 4.0 Allied Force server hosting a campaign throughout the event.

People could just jump in to fly missions together whenever they want, since the dynamic campaign engine keeps a constant schedule of missions for both sides. It scales really well to whatever number of people are playing at once; any spots not filled by real players before takeoff time get filled by AI pilots. And players can easily set up their own custom missions (for themselves or for the AI) so they're not forced to just do whatever missions the computer assigns.

I also don't think it'd eat up much computing power on the server, since a low-end PC can host and play in campaign mode quite smoothly. The game's pretty cheap now, too:
    http://www.amazon.com/Falcon-4-0-Allied-Force-Pc/dp/B0008GLHLW

Raptor007 on
    7nDuqUj.png
    edited February 2009
    algorythym wrote: »

And use it.

9001x This

Theres already a PAX forumer steam group out there :P

BigRed on
  • bitterfunbitterfun Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Personally, I'd love it if some other people did more casemods.

bitterfun on
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    bitterfun wrote: »
    Personally, I'd love it if some other people did more casemods.

What about a sort of junkyard wars sort of mod case building? Give us each person a box of random crap and use them to create some sort of mod?

I know it would be adding $$ for the parts, but I really would love to start modding, but I have no clue where to begin, minus the dremel I've already got.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • d20dicerollerd20diceroller Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    A lot of talk about steam and windows games and bbs's and stuff. Anything to convince us dirty linuxers to join in the BYOC fun?

d20diceroller on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    A lot of talk about steam and windows games and bbs's and stuff. Anything to convince us dirty linuxers to join in the BYOC fun?

I'll be linuxing it up in the BYOC. Thankfully my favorite game of all time, Quake 3, is very viable on linux.

redhalo on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    go go id

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2009

Dual boot for the weekend?

BigRed on
    edited February 2009
    Nah, I guess I will be putting Quake III back on my lappy. Good times, good times.:D

d20diceroller on
    edited February 2009
    Also, can you just lug your laptop around pax or do you have to leave it in the BYOC area? Because I will definitely be hitting the tabletop gaming areas and I have lots of game materials in .pdf format and would need my lappy if I ran a game or got in one.

d20diceroller on
    edited February 2009
    Also, can you just lug your laptop around pax or do you have to leave it in the BYOC area? Because I will definitely be hitting the tabletop gaming areas and I have lots of game materials in .pdf format and would need my lappy if I ran a game or got in one.

You can remove it from byoc if you please. Be sure to check it out of the room first at the front desk though.

I track all equipment going in and out of the room for security purposes.

BigRed on
    edited February 2009
    You could certainly take part in the bbs thing, assuming we move forward with it.

Any suggestions? I'm not a linux user myself, so I'm pretty clueless in that department.

David Coffman on
  • Raptor007Raptor007 Seattle, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    BigRed wrote: »
    algorythym wrote: »

And use it.

9001x This

Theres already a PAX forumer steam group out there :P

That Steam group is by invite only, which is not ideal for getting everyone at BYOC connected.
    There's another one for PAX BYOC, but it's got "2008" in the name and it's got a whopping 2 people in it...

Also, something more official would be nice. Perhaps mention it to everyone as they arrive at BYOC with their stuff? I found it way easier to find people willing to play "unusual" games in the DS area because of the great communication Pictochat provides. It'd be awesome if everyone in BYOC could be connected in a similar way.

I liked what you guys did with the chat on http://pax/ last year, but:
    • it had a lot of downtime
    • not many people used it -- it wasn't well advertised
    • it wasn't real-time -- had to refresh periodically (if I recall correctly)

One big advantage of a Steam group is that you can see what games people are playing, too (if they launched them through Steam).

Raptor007 on
    7nDuqUj.png
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Side note: Do we know the extra cost of getting into BYOC this year? Money's really really tight for me, so I'm trying to figure out exactly how much I need to save in order actually be able to goto PAX this year.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited March 2009
    Its been brought to my attention that some people dont follow the forum who will be in BYOC.
    (gasp!)
    But for some reason all those people are on twitter... wtf rite?

They were concerned that they wouldnt be alerted when BYOC reg goes live cause they dont check these but once a month. This isnt for a while but....

Follow #PAX_BYOC on twitter and ill post to it when BYOC reg is going to go live.

Just another alert method :)

BigRed on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think I can drag my computer this year Bigred. I was actually wondering if we could do a pirate FM station to announce games or prizes. Maybe stream some live music or whats going on in the main hall. Essentially adding seats to the main hall.

Viscountalpha on
    edited March 2009
    I think I can drag my computer this year Bigred. I was actually wondering if we could do a pirate FM station to announce games or prizes. Maybe stream some live music or whats going on in the main hall. Essentially adding seats to the main hall.

Im already working on a vent/shoutcast solution to get audio up to PC from the main theatre :)

BigRed on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Im already working on a vent/shoutcast solution to get audio up to PC from the main theatre :)

If we want to assume that most people will want to watch the stream, we can multicast it using VLC to save a ton of bandwidth. So, let's say we have 100 people tuned in to a 500kbps stream, that's 50Mbps of bandwidth at the server, and a lot of streams to handle. Instead, we use broadcast udp over the network, and we're only using 500kbps across the whole LAN, and anyone who is connected and using VLC can watch/listen to it.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Follow #PAX_BYOC on twitter and ill post to it when BYOC reg is going to go live.

Thanks for this, sir.

DJBreslin on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

This totally seals it for getting a BYOC slot.

I wish I could spare the space for my luggable Zorba Z-80 just to get stares from people. Fyi, the zorba runs at a fast 4 mhz with a full 64k of ram! It has 2 colors, black and green and Is still one of my favorite computers ever.

Viscountalpha on
  • ShukaoShukao Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A possible idea would be a pax-wide irc channel of some sort.

Shukao on
    edited March 2009
    Shukao wrote: »

uh....

.....really?

you know that already exists right? :P
    #paforums_pax on slashnet (since everyone there goes to pax....)

Last year I worked it out with the slashnet admins to remove the user cap from the PAX ip addy.

BigRed on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

We should also try allowing people to bring their own computers, and join them together using various wires into some sort of network, allowing us to play various games together.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited March 2009
    jonxp wrote: »

We should also try allowing people to bring their own computers, and join them together using various wires into some sort of network, allowing us to play various games together.

BRILLIANT!

BigRed on
  • heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    BRILLIANT!

BRILLIANT!

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • ShukaoShukao Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hmmm... It's all a conspiracy I tell you, you people and your computers and your wi-fi and your ethernet cables and your gaming...

Shukao on
    edited March 2009
    I know your doing impromptu tournaments but how about random 1v1 or 2v2 with certain games(like peggle) for prizes to mix it up?

Just a thought.

Viscountalpha on
  • The_FlatlineThe_Flatline Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hmm... I see where you're coming from on that Red. That is true.

Ooh, how about an "accelerated" game of Legend of the Red Dragon?

Host a Telnet BBS on a system in there, and then start a new "day" every hour, for each hour that PAX is open. The player with the most XP and/or Dragon kills wins at the end.

If you're quick with it and don't want to really "get into it", running through all your actions for a day in Legend of the Red Dragon only takes a few minutes, and can be done while playing other games... but it could still form some entertaining and interesting feuds and competition throughout the event.

I'm going to reserve up for BYOC either way this year I think (though with the cookies, I probably won't be IN there as often as one might want to be =( ), but I would gladly set up and host such a system if people wanted it =)

This is old, but I'm catching up.

I know this was posted a long time ago, but I have Legend of the Red Dragon, and about 12 other door games, including Trade Wars.

I'd be completely and utterly willing to host a Trade Wars tournament, where you have unlimited turns every day, the game would run for the length of the con, and maybe late Sunday there is a winner/winning corporation.

I'm perfectly willing to pay the money to upgrade to a 100 node server, enabling 100 simultaneous players.

Given the right resources, I could open this up to be accessible from the outside world through the miracle of DDNS.

Anyone want to throw down old school? I could probably easily set up a 100 node Door game BBS system as well. I ran a 20 node door system for a few years a while back.

The_Flatline on
    edited March 2009
    EDIT: On this subject, I was talking to some Phalla people about setting up a BBS a few months ago... but I couldn't get LoRD in because I couldn't get a hold of anyone at Metropolis (the people who currently own LoRD) to get my registration code. BUT I wouldn't mind shelling out another 15 bucks to get another one, and I have the patches that you need to make LoRD run on a modern system if you wanted one of the attendees to host it. Otherwise, if you guys would rather host it I could snag that stuff anyways and pass it over to you =)

Check out this site:

http://gamesrv.ca/

It's a *bare* bones BBS door emulator, that can run *most* of the ancient games pretty well via hyperterm or other programs. It emulates Fossil drivers and a few other BBS emulations, but it's painful to update, maintain, and configure. It's what I used to run, and I had a 10 or 12 node server at the time. It worked well, but would bog down if I did other stuff on my server.

Synchronet is open source now, which is awesome, and web based I believe. You might want to look into it too.

The_Flatline on
    edited April 2009
    So I've been on a Tribes kick lately. I know it's probably way too much to ask if people want to play Tribes 1 (plus, Garage Games has the rights to it, so you couldn't like... pass it around as it were), but would anyone be interested in maybe a Tribes 2 server running during PAX? It's free these days (tribesnext.com), and it's something that any laptop released in the last few years could run without an issue.

The_Flatline on
This discussion has been closed.