As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW]More dots, more dots.... okay stop dots (Warlock thread)

1798081828385»

• Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    fuck dude, I don't even know what "the antithesis of design" means.

Sounds cool, though: <Antithesis of Design>

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The loss of siphon life and the nerf of soul siphon suck, but they aren't in my 'lock arsenal at the moment so they don't make me cry nerf bat tears.

Basically Blizzard made the three trees use different sets of damage now. Affliction is just pure shadow damage, with shadow bolt as its spam and dots as the majority. Demo is the weaver between the two. With lots of output by the pet and having to use both of our base damage spell sets, curse, immo, corruption and a filler nuke which is probably incin thanks to having molten core and soul fire executes. Destruction is pure fire damage now. It focuses on having one dot up, immolate, and spamming your dds. With conflag and chaos bolts hitting like train wrecks and incins in between hitting like car wrecks. Also this one is based on management of cooldowns instead of dots.

Changed the play style a bit but at least all three trees play pretty uniquely which is actually kind of a neat thing. I tried to catch up on the theorycrafting with 3.1 yesterday in ej but wasn't having a lot of luck digging through all the post. So not sure how much the dps overall has changed between the three specs. But at least all three seem theoretically with in 200 dps of each other in my head and with my dummy test which are not perfect at all since I suck at affliction a bit now.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The loss of siphon life isn't a big deal, aside from maybe for PvP. In PvE you'll probably wind up getting more healing out of 40% of your corruption, and they seem to be taking steps to make the overall damage even out.

The soul siphon change is only a nerf in raid situations where there are multiple affliction warlocks. In solo, group and single-aff raids it'll be about the same, and might even be a slight buff.

The doomguard change is good, in that it is a step toward making it useable for something other than /flexing on attempts you know will be kills.

The immolate/ua change is too bad, especially for pvp, but it's pretty easy to understand why it has to be done. It's really hard to bring immolate's damage down to a point where aff doesn't want to use it, without substantially nerfing destro/demo. This is a ham-handed solution, but probably the only one that works.

I'm disappointed they reverted eradication, but maybe it's internal mechanics have changed to make it less retarded, or they're going to trial some new versions of it in subsequent PTR builds.

The voidwalker change is a no brainer. Enjoy tanking sarth while you can, I suppose.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The loss of siphon life isn't a big deal, aside from maybe for PvP. In PvE you'll probably wind up getting more healing out of 40% of your corruption, and they seem to be taking steps to make the overall damage even out.

The soul siphon change is only a nerf in raid situations where there are multiple affliction warlocks. In solo, group and single-aff raids it'll be about the same, and might even be a slight buff.

On these poitns, we agree. It steamlines the class and the whole "class stacking" part of Soul Siphon was a little lame.
    The doomguard change is good, in that it is a step toward making it useable for something other than /flexing on attempts you know will be kills.

I disagree just because the role of Doomguard (and Infernal) is supposed to be a situational pet. It's not something you should be using all the time. It's nice that it's actually useable in Wrath but its superiority to every other pet in every situation is poor balance.

The problem stems from pets being mutually exclusive. If you could have one permanent pet and one temporary pet (infernal/DG) up at the same time it wouldn't be an issue, but that's sort of a huge can of worms. And also probably impossible.

I expect that the DG will get nerfed into uselessness in future patches because as long as it's better than other pets nobody's going to use other pets in raids.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Situational is fine, but I prefer the event to happen more often. If it's a problem, I'd say doomguard's duration should perhaps be cut, but not the cooldown. I hate ridiculously long cooldowns on principle.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm disappointed they reverted eradication, but maybe it's internal mechanics have changed to make it less retarded, or they're going to trial some new versions of it in subsequent PTR builds.

They changed it so instead of increasing the chance to haste per talent point, it increases the amount of haste per talent point (with a set chance). It doesn't have huge diminishing returns anymore.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    X Equals LoserX Equals Loser Wilford Brimley Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, we really need a new topic. Who wants to do it?

p.s: Where's my warlock lover in Dalaran?

X Equals Loser on
    xequalsloser.gif
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My raid just ended. And I'd write an OP if I weren't so busy (and by busy I mean lazy).

I vote Dyscord does it, because he knows stuff and did the current OP.

(Oh wow, you're in a decent guild now...)

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I agree with End. Dyscord should do the new op. I vote it has something about Doomguards and compensation in the title.

I will miss this title, so many memories.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    X Equals LoserX Equals Loser Wilford Brimley Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Third'd. Should be something about balancing warlocks based on their hour cooldown.

Sorry, End. Had to go show up a priest from my old guild. BiPolar's fun to be in, since they actually do achievements and stuff now that they have all the endgame cleared up.

X Equals Loser on
    xequalsloser.gif
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    oh, fine, I'll do it in a minute.

I actually brain dumped into this thread's op a while ago, so I'll probably just mostly copy that over.

feed me a new thread title

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just do what they do in the 40k threads make it and then if you find or think of a better title then edit it

Brainleech on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    oh, fine, I'll do it in a minute.

I actually brain dumped into this thread's op a while ago, so I'll probably just mostly copy that over.

feed me a new thread title

Well, it's a warlock thread so...

[WoW] Stop Fucking Nerfing the (Warlock Thread)

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    new thread

:arrow:

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg