As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sketch Dump McCraw - PA Contest WIP (page 2) - NSF56K

crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited March 2009 in Artist's Corner
I suppose I've got enough drawings and sketches up here to start one of these. Anything is up for critiques, as it's been a while without any feedback, so there's probably quite a bit of fundamental work I'm ignoring (notably proportion). Paintings in the spoiler tags can't exactly be reworked as they're a few thousand miles away, but if you've got feedback for those, I would appreciate it nonetheless.

Starting with the rougher stuff:
hand.jpg

I'm not sure I'm getting the forshadowing down on the pinky, though I've looked at my own hand long enough that even in the real thing it started looking like a weird-shaped stump, which freaked me out enough to figure it was time to take a break from it.

isabel-small.jpg

This was the only usable sketch of the elementary-school kids I'm working with here in Spain; I think it will probably end up helping me that the kids move around so much (getting gesture and such down a bit quicker), though I'm not fast enough yet. And I still haven't got the hang of kids' faces. If I get any examples, I'll post them.

keychain.jpg

After enough time drawing kids, I decided to move to something a bit more...stable. Well, it was more stable until the kids started wondering what I was doing (*Pick up keychain* "¿Este estás pintando?" *Hangs head in frustration* "Well, I was...") Managed to get it mostly done, though it doesn't really convey form at all, and in that respect, it's not a particularly useful sketch, for me or you.

bottle.jpg

Not a whole lot to say about the bottle; the proportions are off (I didn't properly sight it before starting with the shading), and the tones are neither interesting nor accurate. This was one of the first drawings I did in Spain, trying to get the hang of drawing again.

Something more developed:
selfportrait.jpg

The upper part of the nose to between the eyes is off, and the left eye (my left) is a bit off, though in general I did have that creepy intense look on my face (happens when I'm trying to get things right). I need to work more on ears, too.

crawdaddio on

• crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Nothing? Well, here are a few more hand studies, in the meantime. Can't get the damn things to look right, though I suppose that's what the whole thing's for, anyway.

hand2.jpg

hand3.jpg

crawdaddio on
  • AllanAllan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Other than your hand looking way small and chubby (like a fat child's) in that first picture this is good work. Keep it up.

Allan on
    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif
    edited January 2009
    But...but I was drawing a small fat child's hand...:P

Seriously, though, thanks; that was my main frustration with that picture--the fingers were slightly bent (in the same way as the pinky, but less so), but I couldn't manage to pull off the foreshortening. I'll try to work on similar poses in the future until I get something more convincing.

crawdaddio on
    edited January 2009
    A few more sketches:

skull.jpg

A face that became a sort of quick skull study, which I abandoned before refining the right side on account of:

hand4.jpg

A quick hand study, in pen this time. I need to find some decent crosshatching tutorials, either online or in the library (online is the more feasible option right now, seeing as the libraries here tend to be in Spanish).

faces.jpg

One of the kids finally stood (reasonably) still long enough for a quick face study; I really need to study faces from the side; it's something I can't use myself to work on, and yet there's a lot I have to learn about the structures from that angle.

crawdaddio on
  • Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You should try drawing with some other types of pencils. Like a mechanical one or a really hard lead. Your current pencils have a nice softness to them, but it makes it look kind of blurry.

Arden Canelo on
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I was actually starting to think the same thing, for similar reasons. *Rambling ensues...*
    I started drawing back in the day with a 4B, and I've been generally pretty loyal to it since then. Given the amount of pressure I'm used to using, I think it works reasonably well for sketches and gestural lines. However, as you mentioned, it isn't exactly the best choice for detail work, or for extensive chiaroscuro (mostly because I'm often too lazy to take measures to keep my hand from smudging my work). At college, I had the trusty 4B, but I also had a small range of other pencils (I think I had a 2B, 6B, and an HB), in addition to a mechanical pencil, although I didn't use the mechanical pencil very much for art (though I used to use one quite extensively at one point). Coming here, though, I've kind of had to start from scratch, mainly because I procrastinated too much to root around the boxes of college stuff I had in the basement to find my pencils. I do regret that, though, because I find it really hard to justify buying luxuries like art supplies when it's not clear that I'll have enough money to eat for the rest of the month. It is on my shopping list, though, along with another sketchbook (hopefully a decent one this time), a kneaded eraser, a pencil sharpener (at least I work at a school, so I do get to sharpen my pencil three times a week), and painting supplies.

Long story short, thanks for the tip; I'll definitely look into it.

crawdaddio on
    edited January 2009
    Alright, another drawing; working on pen rendering, which I'm still pretty sure I'm not doing right, but which I got to some level of satisfaction through sheer attrition. I'm linking to the original scan size (very big) to show the hatching in more detail for those who want to see it. The reflected light on the lighter body didn't come out right, I know; I was still working out how to do that right at that point. Maybe it got better by the metal part? I got kind of tired and rushed hatching the top fold of the wallet (probably a mistake, in retrospect, to have used daylight), so it came out kind of sloppy. Anyway, if anyone, especially anyone with hatching experience (*coughnightdragoncough*) can tell me where I need to improve, or how I can make things easier, I would greatly appreciate it.

EDIT: Image would help.

medpen.jpg

ORIGINAL: http://www.artistaperegrino.com/images/artwork/penstudy.jpg

crawdaddio on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    I knew you were a pretty damn good artist from way back, but the pencil drawings didn't seem to fully confirm that. I think it's a scan quality issue or just the size that you're drawing them. The hatching is pretty well done, but you might want to try giving more attention to the direction of your strokes and the form of the object, rather than just hatching to give the object value.

Also these might be of use, from ape way back when:

cross%20hatching%201.jpgcross%20hatching%202.jpg
    Get an avatar, you bum!

bombardier on
    edited January 2009
    I guess if chico can do it, I can do it, right? Maybe? I did want crits on these (especially the second one), but I was worried about posting it twice.

chicoblue.jpg

flay.jpg

The neck on the second one is particularly bad, mostly because I got sloppy about the shading and hasty about the preliminary work. If there are any pointers for improvement on these, I would very much appreciate it.

crawdaddio on
    edited January 2009
    As long as I've got it online:

rolo.jpg

If there's anything systematically wrong with my penwork, or the drawing (proportion, shading, etc) in general, please point it out; I know bits and pieces of this one are out of position, which drives me nuts, but looking at these things for so long, I'm not sure what other aspects may be off.

crawdaddio on
  • XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Your work in pen is pretty damn sexy and a helluva lot better than the pencil stuff in your original post.
    The glasses for both of the dudes are a tad bit off - other than that they look pretty solid. Well except for the last dude's eye, which is skewed a bit with the lens (did you turn your drawing when you did that part? :P I do that all the time and then go FUUUUUUUU-- when i'm done).

I like/am better drawing in pen than in pencil...I guess it's because it forces me to think more about my strokes than I would if I was using a pencil since you can't erase pen (in most cases).

Also what pen are you using? the lines are suuuuuuuup thin, or are you just shrinking a large image?...

XAL on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I dig your portraits, man. Your rendering style is really spiffy.

On the Rolo portrait: When comparing to the original photo, the thing that is most noticeably off is the height and width of his head. It looks like someone put a hand under his chin and the other on the top of his head and squished.

His left eye looks a little crooked and his glasses do as well.

Have you tried flipping your image as you are working on it? If not, grab a mirror, and occasionally when you are working, hold the image to the mirror. It'll give you a fresh way of looking at it, and it'll probably be easier to notice crooked and out of proportion things.

ChicoBlue on
    edited January 2009
    @XAL: Yeah, I imagine it might have been something like that; I turn the sketchbook all over the place so I can hatch more comfortably in the direction I need to. As for the pen, it's a Staedtler 0.2 (mm, I'm guessing) pigment liner. The reason the lines are so thin (aside from my shrinking the images a bit) is because I'm using very little pressure, and holding the pen at enough of an angle to produce a thin, scratchy line; the result ends up looking a bit like drypoint, which definitely makes me interested in trying it, though I don't think I've got access to anything for drypoint while I'm in Spain. At the very least, I may try to find a really thin Speedball, because the technique I use with the liner pen isn't the most reliable since the angle/pressure combination is so tricky.

@ChicoBlue:
    I see what you mean by the squished look. When I was doing the pencils, I found myself needing to adjust the vertical alignment of things, but thinking back on it, I should have spent more time working out the horizontal alignment correspondingly. I remembered having problems with the glasses at the pencil stage, too, but with so many lines, it was hard tell whether or not I had overcome them. I think in the future, I'm going to have to go ahead and get a harder lead, or a mechanical pencil so that I can have cleaner lines, and an easier time erasing. I had completely forgotten about that technique; I used it with beavo's portrait, but I'd kind of neglected it with the pen ones; I think I'd probably have avoided a lot of the mess the proportion got into if I had remembered.

Thanks, both of you, for the crits.

crawdaddio on
    edited January 2009
    Well, this study was a bit more intensive than the last one, so I suppose it'd be better off here. It's funny sometimes, the things you only notice when the picture's done and scanned (or taken a picture of, in this case), like the second-rate cross-hatch job on the onion. I think the liner pens are the only things I've worked with so far that actually look better on screen. Ah well, I suppose at least I'm finally starting to get some level of control on line width. The quality of the picture will hopefully improve when I capture it with my scanner instead of my camera. Hopefully.

onion2.jpg

crawdaddio on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah I don't know dude. The branch part is easily the best I think, the rest of it seems like you are thinking too much, or too little. You need to decide whether you want to be a very organized and deliberate inker, or someone who feels the work out a bit more as they go.

rts on
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I suppose that's the main problem; I don't really know what steps to take in either direction. I suppose my...style? the way I do things, anyway--is more conducive to organized and deliberate (except for the patience), though I'd like to learn to do it both ways, since a freer approach would stretch me more. Either way, though, what I really need is some more structured guidance, methinks.

crawdaddio on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Do you have some photo reference you used for this by chance? It looks like you probably did it from life, but if you had some photo reference I could show you how I would approach it.

rts on
    edited January 2009
    I could take a photo, just let me get the angle right...

setup.jpg

Well, close enough, anyway; I can try to fix the lighting if you'd like, but I figured less fiddling is better in terms of reference. It's a bit embarrassing, though, to be honest; now you know how far off I was...

crawdaddio on
    edited February 2009
    animals.jpg

Posted these in the doodle thread, mostly because that's what they were (or were supposed to be, anyway). I suppose, though, that I've spent enough time on them, and kind of looked at a different way of using the pen, in combination with pencil, to render things. I suppose to the extent that I'm hoping for crits (seeing as I wasn't supposed to have invested a lot in these things), I'd ask if the rendering works, in its way, and whether the application of line-width variation is working effectively. In one question, I guess, are these drawings convincingly conveying form? I know there are a couple of spots that don't work, like the pig's left shoulder (still working on controlling the pen in the first place), or the top of the sheep's head (that was an error in judgement more than anything), but if there's anything else you can point out, I'd be much obliged.

EDIT: God damn you, internet connection...alright, should work now

crawdaddio on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like your rendering style, but (even though I'm hardly the one to be saying this) it could do with a bit of contrast.

Also, the pig looks a little thin and I can't see how its leg is positioned that you'd be able to see that bump along its neck.

Tam on
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, it's the scanner's fault. It's the scanner's fault I didn't catch the discrepancy before inking it. Part of the thinness I think is that it's a young pig (here's the reference); the shoulder, aside from being badly-drawn, was also too-heavily inked. 20/20 hindsight. I think, anyway; if it's something else, let me know. Anyway, I think I'm going to try to get some pencils to fill in the gap I've got right now between 4B and 3H, and a tortillon, so that I can do a better job of blending darker shades. At least for experimentation's sake. Thanks for the comments; it's pretty easy to convince myself that the contrast is fine when I've been looking at these things as long as I have been, so it's always good to get the opinion of a fresh pair of eyes or two.

crawdaddio on
    edited February 2009
    Another drawing; kind of lame that the only updates I've been making has been from the SaF thread, but work's been kind of hectic lately, so I haven't had a ton of time for drawing, except for some blatant copying of online sources to make worksheets. Anyway, once again, a portrait, this time in pencils, because why not.

sublimus.jpg

His right eye is a teeny bit higher than his left, which bugs the crap out of me, and that's without all the other discrepencies I keep noticing. I don't think I'll be working on this much more, mainly on account of the striped shirt (striped cloth has a way of either requiring spot-on fold reproduction, or very creative improvisation of same); considering the shirt is off as it is, the problems would likely amplify themselves. Anyway, didn't want my pencil skills (lack thereof?) to go completely to waste. Maybe I'll pick up some charcoal sometime, give that a go, too.

crawdaddio on
    edited February 2009
    Well, it looks like you're doing a pretty good job of finding mistakes and noting them for correction and on your own. And from my limited understanding of the subject, you're doing a good job at the reference drawings. You seem to be laying down a pretty good foundation. The only thing is, and again, I'm hardly one to be saying this, but you need more contrast in your work.

About interest:

Duder, there is a lot of empty space here. Empty white space. A lot of these are very light and don't feel quite solid- unlike the wallet and lighter you posted. This is just me talking, but that one holds my interest more than the other life/ref stuff.

I also see nothing here that you've drawn from imagination. Show us the strange beasts and terras incognita in your head!

Tam on
    edited February 2009
    Alright, well, I've certainly left this guy by the wayside for a while. Tam, first of all, a belated, but sincere thank you for your comments; I agree with the contrast comment; pencil is a hard medium to pull deep shades out of, and I could certainly have done a better job of it.

I suppose the white space is a manifestation of the contrast problem, and also of the fact that a lot of the drawings are sketches that I haven't spent enough time on, I suppose mostly because of a short attention span. Hopefully the next series of drawings I'll have coming will be better about that. The imagination bit...well, I've always been self-conscious about depicting the things that come from my imagination, and as a result, my imaginative skills have kind of languished, which is never good for an artist. I'd hoped things like the contest threads might jump-start the development of more imaginative stuff, but I've been really bad about combatting my procrastination when it comes to them. I'll try to get on that, but I've got another project that needs some attention first.

So, I'd mentioned a couple of times that I've been working in an elementary school in Spain; my title is Auxiliar de conversación (conversation assistant), but it's also my duty here to help prepare material for the school's nascent bilingual program. Here, the bilingual class is science, and this year, it's only bilingual for the third-graders. It's the first year phasing in the bilingual bit, so next year will have both third- and fourth-grade bilingual science, and my task is to help prepare the material for these future fourth-graders next year. Well, by "prepare," I mean type up. It's not much, but it does give me an opportunity to force myself to draw more, because in addition to typing up the plans, I can also draw whatever one might normally google clip-art for. Some of the stuff I've drawn I've already put up here or in the doodle thread (the plant and fish, and those farm animals up there). My self-imposed project is to get as much of the other bits that need drawings made up as well; if I've got time, I'll try to revisit the ones I've already put up, if just to get it all in a unified style. Here's a list of things that need drawings:
    • Water
    • Ice
    • Wind
    • Gold
    • Silver
    • Iron
    • Sense of smell
    • hearing.gif
    • Taste
    • Touch
    • Sight
    • Child
    • Adult
    • Elderly
    • The path of a river (which includes its source, mouth, and upper, middle, and lower courses)
    • An illustration showing the sun rising, so the kids can identify it with east (the point being to identify cardinal directions based on things like direction of the sunrise).

Part of putting all this up is to give me a bit of accountability, and a way of tracking my progress (I'll update this post with what I've got as I get it scanned. The other part is to try to work out ways to illustrate some of the tougher bits, like the last one, or figuring out how to make gold and silver reasonably distinguishable without using color (these things are printed out in black and white). If you've got any suggestions for those particular ones, I'd love to hear them; in the meantime, I'll try and get started on the easier ones. Hopefully, you'll have something to critique pretty soon.

crawdaddio on
    edited March 2009
    Alright, it seems like putting one's PA contest WIP in one's own thread is the new hip thing to do; I can be down with that, I suppose.

So, I can already tell that this thing is going to become even more of a bitch to photograph as more colors go on; I think I've got them vaguely accurately represented on my monitor, though (which probably means they're too saturated, and maybe too yellow, on your own screens).

painting1.jpg

I think I'll need to get some cadmium yellow, and maybe some viridian green, before I can go on.

EDIT: My thread actually made it to page 2! Woot!

crawdaddio on
  • Sam :)Sam :) Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    that is some very nice hatching you have there but that technical skill really deserves better subject matter and fore-thought to composition. Rule of thumb when you want to develop your skills as an artist as quickly as possible is to find that balance that gives you the most amount of practice and experience in the least amount of time and to put the extra effort into the things that really matter.

What that translates to is that you should do a lot of the things that you can do quickly, and less of the things that take a long time. However, that doesn't mean you should draw many simple things, to improve you still need to challenge yourself. Rendering fine detail is a good thing to practice, but you can save that lesson for when you actually have found an image that deserves it.

Another thing is that you need to set yourself goals. What exactly do you want to be able to draw one, five, ten years from now? If you can clearly see what it is you want to achieve it is easier for you to create a good strategy for getting there. If it is knights in epic, gritty battles with huge dragons you want to be able to draw, that means you should be doing studies of lizards (besides human anatomy etc). If clip art or assorted objects is your thing you are definitely right on track. However, as Tam said, practice your imagination and your imagination will get better and eventually and every now and then you will find that image in your head that translates to a fine piece of art.

Sam :) on
    edited March 2009
    Thank you for the comments; I agree with you; for some time now, I've really been kind of blocked in terms of finding something I felt motivated enough to draw for an extended period of time (the wallet being one of the few things here that I feel really good about in that regard), and even longer since I've actually drawn a picture (as in something with a bona fide composition, instead of all these studies and sketches)--I drew one picture not too long ago, but I didn't bother scanning it because, while I actually composed the thing, I didn't spend too much time on it because of a tight schedule for it (I had about 10 hours from start to finish), and I didn't feel it was worth asking critiques of it. This PA thing, I think (I hope) ought to help put me back in that sort of mindset.

As for goals, I haven't got too clear an idea yet of what it is I want to be able to draw; at this point, I'm mainly going for versatility until I can decide. The clip art kind of stuff I've got cluttering this thread is mainly because I'm drawing these things for worksheets for the job I've got at the moment. You're definitely right, though, in that I sorely need to practice my imagination.

crawdaddio on
    edited March 2009
    Alright, update, and I think the last one for today; I would like you all to know that I am decidedly not happy with the water, and will be looking for another paint color tomorrow.

painting2.jpg

The other colors are different as well, but that's a hue adjustment thing more than anything, and is, I think, more accurate. Maybe.

crawdaddio on
    edited March 2009
    Following the last one of yesterday, naturally, is the first one of today; Don't worry about them ribs; they'll be less...yellow. I just needed to set down one of the colors, and I'll narrow the width of the yellow bit once it dries a little. Which will probably be in a week or two. Ah, oils...

painting3.jpg

crawdaddio on
    edited March 2009
    Phthalo blue is being a lot nicer to me.

painting4.jpg

Still needs a bit of tweaking...I need to figure out how to get it to be a bit more luminous in the light part of the water (maybe glazing...), and I need to work on the way I'm rendering the darkening of it, as well. Most of the changes, however, are going to have to wait until the paint dries. Oh, the waiting game begins.

EDIT: If anyone has any comments or crits, please please please speak up.

crawdaddio on
    edited March 2009
    Water's looking good.

Only crit I have is that the composition looks a bit empty- you might try adding some bits and bobs in there.

Tam on
    edited March 2009
    Thanks; I'll try adding some flotsam, and maybe some texture to the walls/innards. In the meantime, here's where things start getting hairy...

painting5.jpg

I'm at the point where I've got to do more than general background, and while my original intent was for a more neo-impressionist kind of style, I'm hindered by the rendering of the background, which is more realist, and by my lack of skill in that particular style, at least when it comes to anything at this level of detail. I'm going to have to think a lot more about how I'm going to lay my colors down, and what they're going to look like; although I suppose I'm stuck with something closer to realism than my original intention, I do still want the colors to be vivid, even to an unnatural degree. I'd like to apply what little color theory I can remember to the piece, though I think at this stage, none of it is being reflected because of the aforementioned difficulties. Nevertheless, I suppose I can still ask for critiques, and would, as always, appreciate them greatly.

d1painting5.jpg

(Detail of the banana boat)

EDIT: I do realize that the banana boat doesn't look like it's floating in the water, but I'm not yet completely sure how to get it to do so. Aside from darkening the water around it (applying the colors of the boat?), I feel like maybe the boat would take on a cast of the water color, but I don't know.

crawdaddio on
    edited March 2009
    Still chugging away, hoping for comments and advice, especially when it comes to color, composition, form...well, pretty much anything.

painting6.jpg

crawdaddio on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Throw your color around a bit more.

I dont mean literally take from one pile of green paint and put it everywhere. Adjust the value and saturation apprpriately.

Right now you have compartmentalized everything.

Kendeathwalker on
    edited March 2009
    I'm not entire sure I know what you mean. Can you elaborate?

EDIT: Would I be close if I figured you were talking about the way that each element is its own color, and that there aren't really any unifying colors or hues?

crawdaddio on
    edited March 2009
    does this help explain?

painting6.jpg

Kendeathwalker on
    edited March 2009
    Aye, it does; thanks; I'll have to wait for the paint to dry in some spots before implementing the suggestion fully (like the water and the rib), but I'll get to work on the dry parts as soon as I get a bit more of the other ribs rendered. Thanks again.

crawdaddio on
    edited March 2009
    um.. I played wit it some more.. changed the composition to something I felt was stronger..

Kendeathwalker on
    edited March 2009
    I saw those tweaks (things like the arm and the torch, and the darkening of the scene towards the right, you mean?); those bits I hadn't gotten around to yet, since there were some things I felt I needed to work out in my head before getting started on them (for instance, I'd like the vertebra to be more...vertebral, and I wanted to make sure the torch could be painted as brightly as it needed to be (I'm not sure if I'm going to have to get brighter yellows and reds, or a cadmium orange to paint it, for instance)) The figures aren't rendered simply because I'm scared of screwing up that bit. Though I suppose it can't come out worse than the ribs, right?

crawdaddio on
    edited March 2009
    Tired of my picture yet? I kind of am, but ever onwards. At least it's finally starting to look...not shitty? Less shitty...let's go with less shitty.

painting8.jpg

Trying to incorporate more cross-coloring, a la Kendeathwalker's suggestion (I haven't forgotten about your suggestion, by the way, Tam; I'm just still thinking of details. This, by the way, is also why I don't draw more things from my head; the things from my head are half-formed, and generally uninspiring). Not finished with that task (I've still got to incorporate light from the fire to the water, and to the other parts of the scene), but everything in due time. Also fixed a misaligned waterline on the right side, but now that I've got the picture up here, it looks like I overdid it.

d1painting8.jpg

A detail of the painting. Never mind the green bit there, that was from a less-successful attempt to do the color thing. It will go away...sometime. Anyway, begging for crits, as always.

crawdaddio on