As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Computer Monitor

BucketmanBucketman Call meSkraggRegistered User regular
So, I've been using this 17inch Samsung SyncMaster for about 3 years now, and its still chugging along nicely, but I honestly want something a bit nicer. I use my monitor for my PC as well as my 360 (and PS3 if I ever get one) and I could use it for TV too to save some space. But its been awhile since I've bought one and I'm not sure what to look for anymore.

The two I think look pretty good are:

Samsung TOC T220 22 inch LCD
and the
Samsung TOC T220 22Inch HD

Now the only real difference I can tell between the 2 is the HD is also and HD monitor, so I assume that means I can watch things in HD on it? I'm not sure, I assume it has HDTV hookups and that mean I can watch HD DVD or Blue Ray? Hell, I don't even know if these are good monitors for around $300. Thats why I'm asking. Any help in deciding where I spend my tax money to help the economy would be greatly appricated.

Thanks in advance

Bucketman on

• OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Better price here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001273&Tpk=t220
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001278

The T220HD adds a couple HDMI inputs and a Component input, as well as an HDTV tuner (meaning you can plug into an antenna or the wall and get channels). It may also have more image format modes, I think I've heard something about that.

On the other hand, I heard that the HD models of these monitors add to the input lag, which can be a problem for gaming. I'm not sure how severe the problem is, though.

I've read they're pretty good screens (for low-end TN panels, anyway), in any case.

Price-wise, they're a little expensive for a 22". You could have a decent 24" screen for just a little more. This one is supposed to be really excellent.

Or an Acer screen for less, though I doubt it's as good as the other monitors I mentioned.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Keep in mind. Full HD (1080p) is 1920x1080 resolution. 22" monitors are only 1680x1050, so they don't do full HD.

24"s are 1920x1200 and so display 1080p without losing any pixels. Might be worth a look. You can get some good 24"s for not that much more than 22s.

JohnDoe on
  • RhakyrRhakyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have the Samsung T240 (24", 1920x1200) and I've been impressed with it so far. It has an HDMI input on it so hooking up a console shouldn't be a problem (I haven't tried yet.)

Rhakyr on
    rhakyr.png
  • exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've been itching to get a 24" monitor so bad, but I came across this recently and I am going to war against my own wallet over this: http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=1181717

I want it so bad. D:

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
    edited February 2009
    exoplasm wrote: »
    I've been itching to get a 24" monitor so bad, but I came across this recently and I am going to war against my own wallet over this: http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=1181717

I want it so bad. D:

If you can get it for around $200, this is an amazing deal. Amazing. 22" IPS panel purportedly with 0 input lag.

I'm tempted to buy one myself right now.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    exoplasm wrote: »

I want it so bad. D:

If you can get it for around $200, this is an amazing deal. Amazing. 22" IPS panel purportedly with 0 input lag.

I'm tempted to buy one myself right now.

Someone later on in the thread mentioned a 20ms input lag. I have no idea what that means. I currently game on an older dell 19" ultrasharp (which is not sharp or ultra by any means these days... 25ms refresh lol). I probably wouldn't notice any lag.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
    edited February 2009
    Ah, well, even if it's 20ms that's still pretty good. That's just how many milliseconds the display is behind the mouse/keyboard input. I think 20ms would be about a frame, maybe two behind.

OremLK on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Didn't feel like starting up a new thread for one question. Where can I get a good monitor for no more than say, 129? I would like a widescreen if those come at that low a price. I looked around on newegg but I have no idea how to tell a bad monitor from a good one.

projectmayhem on
    edited February 2009
    For $129, they're all bad. It's just a matter of degree of badness, at that point. You're probably going to wind up with an Acer or something, but you can get widescreens, so at least there's that. Here's a 20".

OremLK on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So any other opinions? I've had this thread up for a few weeks and I'm really itching to actually buy a new monitor, but I don't want to get screwed.

Bucketman on