As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Mages: the worst part comes AFTER you're sheeped

1575859606163»

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    nah because they would increase the mana cost on it.

Ice lance needs functionality other than on frozen targets. It does.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »
    nah because they would increase the mana cost on it.

Ice lance needs functionality other than on frozen targets. It does.

It would have to be a seriously large increase to make it not worth spamming. 1.5 sec cooldown on a spell that can cause itself to do a ton more damage? Not to mention being a pretty passable snare on top of that?

And no, it doesn't. I can see an argument based on the premise that Frost needs stronger PvP skills, but the reality is that Ice Lance itself doesn't need anything. As a part of a strategy to strengthen Frost, some additional utility might be a part of that, but the reality is that Ice Lance is perfectly suited to the niche it occupies. There is nothing deficient about Ice Lance that doesn't have it's base in the fact that Frost in general is deficient.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    L|ama wrote: »
    Yeah if you're at 35% health, chances are you're doing to be dead before you even realize you are at 35% health.

fixed!
    Yeah Mage below 60% is pretty much 0%. Especially considering the current numbers flying around from Rogues, Hunters, Warriors, DKs etc.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I was being generous. I mean you might get a blink or ice block off.

L|ama on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    L|ama wrote: »
    Yeah if you're at 35% health, chances are you're doing to be dead before you even realize you are at 35% health.

fixed!
    Yeah Mage below 60% is pretty much 0%. Especially considering the current numbers flying around from Rogues, Hunters, Warriors, DKs etc.

Wow. No, not really. Not really at all.

A mage at 0% mana is a dead mage. A mage with 35% health and 90% mana is still a very dangerous customer. Mana shield? Ever heard of it? Yeah, I know. You're used to it sucking. Try it out with 2k+ spellpower and 20k mana. I've killed every class under the sun that's gotten the jump on me, usually with less than 35% health to start.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SUprisingly with my current gear, FFB does less DPS than Arcane, is there a reason I'm pulling only 1.3k DPS with FFB with my gear, when I do Arcane, it's a bit more respectable 1.6kish? Especially considering my Crit is a lot higher than my Haste?

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SUprisingly with my current gear, FFB does less DPS than Arcane, is there a reason I'm pulling only 1.3k DPS with FFB with my gear, when I do Arcane, it's a bit more respectable 1.6kish? Especially considering my Crit is a lot higher than my Haste?
    Do you have a rotation? 1.3 is pretty awful for a level 80 Mage.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I got that much on last boss of UK as arcane at 70 just now. 8-)

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Those are terrible numbers for any spec. Even aside from that, a few things-

You have too much hit rating. Do you have a boomkin or spriest in your group? If so, you have WAY too much hit-rating.

You need 17% without talents to hit a boss. With arcane specc and both hit talents, you need 11%. (17-6). If you have a boomkin/spriest you get 3% extra hit, so you only need 8% (17-6-3).

I see you've gemmed for hit. If you really want to go arcane spec, get rid of that. I also see you've gemmed fro straight haste. Get rid of that as well and get the +9/+8 gems if you're trying to hit bonuses.

Derrick on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Do you have a rotation? 1.3 is pretty awful for a level 80.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah I would be expecting at least 2k with that gear.

L|ama on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

I'd be more worried about the reason you're doing sub 2k DPS.

That reason is that 90% of your gear is completely and disgustingly unenchanted.

You're Kirin Tor revered. Why isn't your helm enchanted?

You're Honored with Scryers. At least throw the shitty shoulder enchant on there. Or, since you're only a single day's dailies away from Honored with Sons of Hodir, just wait until you get the Honored Hodir one as its better.

Enchant your: Chest, Bracers, Gloves, Boots.

Doing all that will see you gain a good 100-150 spellpower, and a bit of crit too.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just wondering how you guys think my mage's spec is looking so far. Still leveling. 51 atm.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Destromath&n=Talderas

Zerokku on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    personally I'd drop the points out of Permafrost and pick up Piercing Ice. 6% more damage is going to be a bit more help than a bigger snare effect..the base snare effect combined with Frostbite is more than enough.

But thats a personal preference, either is fine.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'd drop Winter's Chill, too, and put one point in Improved Blizzard. It came up more often than I thought it would that I could AOE down quest mobs four or five at a time rather than single target them, and having the snaring blizzard helps that out drastically.

Winter's Chill shouldn't have enough uptime to be useful while leveling.

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ledneh wrote: »
    I'd drop Winter's Chill, too, and put one point in Improved Blizzard. It came up more often than I thought it would that I could AOE down quest mobs four or five at a time rather than single target them, and having the snaring blizzard helps that out drastically.

Winter's Chill shouldn't have enough uptime to be useful while leveling.

the only problem i found with improved blizzard is that with frostbite, mobs randomly get frozen, and the nice neat little pack of mobs gets split up and its quite a hassle to form them back up again

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    actually, if you're leveling, you WANT them to get frozen.

here's how you powerlevel as frost - maximize improved blizzard. when you want to kill mobs, throw up ice barrier and just fucking aggro them all. get them all stacked up, frost nova, blink away, blizzard them down. they should refreeze themselves due to how many waves you slap down, and after 2-3 blizzards the entire group will be dead due to every wave critting off of shatter.

also, 1.6 DPS is terrible. you have very little haste, which arcane needs a lot of... i dunno, check your rotation man, because my DPS hovers around 2.6 and i'm about as geared as you are.

EDIT: if you want Arcane 101, you could do worse than the elitist jerks Arcane thread.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey so I don't know why I didn't check in on this 'til now, but the Fiery Payback disarm is 10% with 2 points.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Dhalphir wrote: »

I'd be more worried about the reason you're doing sub 2k DPS.

That reason is that 90% of your gear is completely and disgustingly unenchanted.

You're Kirin Tor revered. Why isn't your helm enchanted?

You're Honored with Scryers. At least throw the shitty shoulder enchant on there. Or, since you're only a single day's dailies away from Honored with Sons of Hodir, just wait until you get the Honored Hodir one as its better.

Enchant your: Chest, Bracers, Gloves, Boots.

Doing all that will see you gain a good 100-150 spellpower, and a bit of crit too.

You can also just use 40 stone keeper's shards to get the shoulder enchant. It's not bad.

Derrick on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    A question, would taking the two points out of the 6yd range talent in this Arcane spec and putting one point in the hit talent, the other in the pushback talent, be that bad of an idea? Having to gear for a little less hit sounds nice and I don't want to have to rely on the presence of a Paladin with conc aura to prevent pushback, but I can't find anywhere else to get those talent points from.

Ledneh on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Henroid on
This discussion has been closed.