As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WH40K: They made a minature game for Starcraft 2!

• Options
    AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    any tips for taking out battlewagons? do/can they ever count as open topped?

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Battlewagons are normally open-topped, I do believe. As for taking them out, just pretend it's a Land Raider. Which is to say, lascannons and meltas. Or assault, seeing as it's Rear AV is 10.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ugh, yet more IG stuff, but I swear the next thing I'm buying from Forgeworld will be two of the Grenadier Centaurs. Then I could have one of my Death Korps grenadier squads broken in half and buming around in the little tanks while the other squad follows in their Chimera.

It would be a tiny, very heavily armed, mechanized squadron.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fluff Q: do the Eldar and Tau have a particularly good reason to shoot the crap out of each other?

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Not especially. Also, it is readily apparent that the Eldar have been interfering in the Tau's evolution and social development, though the precise extent remains unclear.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    delroland wrote: »
    Fluff Q: do the Eldar and Tau have a particularly good reason to shoot the crap out of each other?
    As good as anyone else.

And it's 'readily apparent' _some_ Eldar have been mucking around like that, but it's probably not something they're all in on, and talk about over tea and wraith-scones.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So even though I'm just first on the waiting list (waited too long to sign up) I played two games today with the list I think I'm bringing to Astromoni-con next month. Both games were against lists designed for the same tournament.

First was against a marine player, he took two medium sized squads of sternguard, a 10 man tactical squad, 2 scout squads, 2 razorbacks with lascannons, a rhino and a dread with lascannon.

First shot of the game with my boomgun took 4 of 6 sternguard held up in a bunker.

One of the units of scouts infiltrated behind my lines first turn, but my Shoota boyz took care of them with two rounds of shooting and getting the charge.

Top of turn 2 I managed to get in combat with my nobs and zagstruck/stormboyz. They took out a unit of 5 sternguard, the dread and a razorback.

At the end of the 3rd turn he conceded. :)

Second game was against another large Ork army. I think his list had 2 squads of 20 choppa boyz, 1 unit of 12 shoota boyz in a trukk, a unit of 10 burnaboyz and a big mek with KFF and Burna in a battlewagon, a unit of 5 nob bikers, kitted out with everything and a warboss on a bike, also kitted out and 2 independent Coptas with rockets.

First turn had me posistioning my deployed line carefully with my a wall made in front made of my battle wagon (nobs/warboos inside) and my dread lined up acrros his biker nobs and warboss.

Right behind my wall I had my Kff protecting with my unit of choppa boyz. Shoota boys held my flank.

He started his first turn with his nob bikes w/ Warboss smashing against my Battlewagon/Dreadnought wall. Dread took down 2 biker nobs before going down and he blew up the wagon.

I started the second turn with with my Warboss and his Nobs screaming out of the wreckage and destroying his Warboss and remaining nobs. This ended with about 3/4s of my Nobs standing (the Warbosses killed eachother!).

On the other side of the table my 25 Shoota boyz traded 2 turns of shooting with a 20 man unit of his choppa boyz before I got off the charge and took him out.

The third turn had my remaining nobs take a drive by flaming that resulted in 55 hits I was lucky and most of my nobs lived. My Nobs felt indestructible as his 20 man boyz mobs crashed into them and ended in a drawn combat.

My following turn had my unit of 25 boyz and big mek charging in to help the remaining nobs. This resulted with 7 of his orks fleeing off the table. My remaining boyz/nobs/mek then were able to turn around and took out the annoying mounted units. He used his trukk and battle wagon as bunkers for his shootas and burnas the entire game.

My looted wagon spent 3 of 6 turns driving at full speed ramming over barricades even through my dead Deff Dread.

I managed to have alive at the end of the game (approximately):
    18/25 shoota boyz
    13/25 choppa boyz
    Big Mek w/ 1 wound
    4 nobs

It was a bloody game. I came out on top with a score of 8-3.

Shit was epic.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    drama_drama_ Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    just say no to ork on ork hate

drama_ on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    drama_ wrote: »
    just say WAAAGH! to ork on ork hate

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Not especially. Also, it is readily apparent that the Eldar have been interfering in the Tau's evolution and social development, though the precise extent remains unclear.

How so?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

How so?

They made them a mix tape.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

How so?
    It's much more expressly talked about in Xenology, where one of the specimens is a xeno-form from a species controlled by queens with pheromone organs. Other research notes state that they had a serious conflict with the Eldar, when the Eldar kidnapped one of their queens. Later on in the book during the autopsy of an ethereal, its noted that there's a something of a similarity between that species pheromone organ, and the 'diamond' growth on the ethereal's forehead.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So two xenos are similar. I don't see how that relates to the Eldar.

A lot of the wh40k background books, and even some of the codexs, seem to be written from the perspective of someone in wh40k's reality-- they are not objective at all. It is fun, but kind of annoying. An example being the thing with Inquisitor guy not being able to believe the Orkz can make anything, because they are filthy savage brutish Xenos scum, and coming up with some bullshit about things working because the Orkz believe they work or something. Meanwhile, in other books, you have human characters hijacking Ork trukkz and using ork guns.

The inquisitor was obviously wrong, but I see his theory being presented by people as an objective statement on various messageboards.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So two xenos are similar. I don't see how that relates to the Eldar.
    Because the guy doing the autopsy is puzzled by how two aliens from different sides of the galaxy have such remarkably similar, remarkably uncommon organs, while we, the readers go 'aha, that IS interesting,' being more familiar with the hints that've been dropped about the Eldar having performed some sort of intervention in the Tau's development.

We know _something_ had a hand in things. In the current codex, the story of the Ethereals' first appearance talks about how the night sky was full of strange lights the evening before the first two ethereals mysteriously appeared in the middle of a mountain warzone.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    As a model I recomend just paying a kid $5 to stand on the table the whole game.

I suggested to a friend once that he should proxy his son as an Imperator. He laughed and suggested that he just tell his son that each turn he needed to destroy as many models as he could in 30 seconds. Noone would have anything left by turn 2.

@Gabriel: My thread title totally had more support :P

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So the Assault on Black Reach box seems like an incredibly good deal, it's $95 AUD and you get fistfuls of models. Thinking of splitting it with a friend, he'd probably end up with the SM and I'd have the Orks. Seems like a good way to get into 40k, we;\'ve played the LotR tabletop game and we're in the middle of a Necromunda campaign but I've never actually tried 40k.

I guess I have a few questions, then:

- what's the quality of the AoBR models like?

- is it fun to be Orks, are they a solid, fun choice for an army?

- if yes, then based on what's in the AoBR box, what are the first (two or three?) things I should buy to round out my Ork army list?

Thanks. :)

W2 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    W2 wrote: »
    - what's the quality of the AoBR models like?

- is it fun to be Orks, are they a solid, fun choice for an army?

- if yes, then based on what's in the AoBR box, what are the first (two or three?) things I should buy to round out my Ork army list?

-While they're almost completely unposeable, the models are still very well-detailed and can fit easily among other models of the same army.

-Orks are definitely one of the more "fun" armies, especially their story. Close-combat armies usually feature a wave of green slowly crashing upon the field, while shooty armies have an element of randomness to them.

-First thing you'll want to pick up is a box or two of Boyz (and the Codex while you're at it). After that, maybe a Trukk or two. After that, it's all up to you!

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I should have mentioned that I did try and get started with 40k back in 2000, didn't get too heavily into it and never ended up having a game. So for someone who never played but did read the 3E rulebook cover to cover a bunch of times, what's changed?

W2 on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Morskittar wrote: »

How so?

They made them a mix tape.
    Eldrad made some dirty phone calls to Shadowsun.
    He also got farsight drunk and that's why he went rogue.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Do we have any estimate on when the second wave Marine stuff is dropping? The Crimson Fist army I'm looking at building has two Landspeeder Storms in it, and I'd really like to forgo buying models to proxy them only to buy the proper model later.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    W2 wrote: »
    I should have mentioned that I did try and get started with 40k back in 2000, didn't get too heavily into it and never ended up having a game. So for someone who never played but did read the 3E rulebook cover to cover a bunch of times, what's changed?

Oh, lord. Lots.

Big ones:
    • Line of Sight is now "true line of sight." If you can't draw a line from one model to another through cover, you can't see the other model.
    • Every single infantry and Walker model is now effectively Fleet of Foot. However, only models with the actual Fleet rule can assault after running in the shooting phase.
    • Area cover no longer exists.
    • Vehicle damage tables significantly reworked, with the net result that vehicles are far more difficult to kill.
    • You can no longer assault out of a transport that moved in the Movement phase (some units or vehicles have abilities that allow them to do so, however.)
    • You no longer have to deepstrike under a large blast template.
    • Blast weapons no longer roll to hit - instead, place the blast marker, then scatter d6-(firer's BS) inches.
    • Necrons are no longer hax.
    • Close combat resolution basically works as in WHFB - at the end of a round, whoever took more casualties takes a leadership test with a negative modifier equal to the number of casualties taken. Fearless units don't test, but take additional (saveable) wounds. Sweeping Advance completely wipes out an enemy caught by it. You cannot consolidate into a new enemy unit after close combat. Crossfire is gone. Basically, combat is a hell of a lot quicker and deadlier, but once you messily slaughter the unit you were fighting you're going to be left out in the open, and a canny player can use that to utterly push your shit in with shooting.
    • Flamers and Meltaguns are worth taking.
    • Picture three units in the following formation: A
      B--C. A belongs to Player 1, B/C belong to Player 2. If Player 1 chooses to have Unit A fire at Unit C, Unit C receives a 4+ cover save due to B screening. If Player 2 has Unit C fire at Unit A, Unit A receives the same 4+ cover save. Shooting between units A and B do not grant cover saves, as there's no screen.
    • Wounds are now allocated to individual models, and armor saves are rolled per type of wound inflicted. Say a ten-man Tac Squad including a Sarg w/Power Fist, a Missile Launcher, and a Flamer is wounded four times by a bolter, twice by a plasma gun, and once by a Lascannon. The controlling player allocates the two plasma wounds and a Lascannon wound to standard bolter marines, two bolter wounds to another bolter marine, and one bolter wound each to the flamer marine and missile launcher marine. The two bolter marines who are elligible for saves can roll them together, and the flamer and missile launcher marines roll theirs seperately. This makes it far more likely that upgraded squad members will die.

That's all the really big ones, off the top of my head.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SJ wrote: »
    Ianator wrote: »

The supa-gatler stats are wrong.

Anyone else just completely UNDER-whelmed by this Stompa? Launch a Kopta, and you can re-roll to hit a one-shot S8 weapon that hits on a 2+ anyway. If this ability wasn't just limited to Rokkits it would be a cool concept, but as-is it's definitely meh.

Now a Stompa Mob of 3 Klaw Stompas... that's something I'm building enough close combat arms to swap out and try. All those 'D' results from the Stompede and added attacks to toss around even more tanks...

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So, I'm almost done with the first Gaunt's Ghost Omnibus... I purchased the new Omnibus in the series yesterday to be prepared. These books are amazing. My IG regiment is now totally going to be the Tanith First and Only.

Lead by Colonel-Commisar Ibram Gaunt and Colonel Colm Corbec. Major Rawne is a douche and will therefore be killed off in my regiment :P

Edit: Regarding the new Apoc data sheets: The BA one is wrong somewhere... The tactical squads in the formation have 11 marines shown. This, of course, is too many marines. Each tactical squad has to take a land raider of any variant. Now, if for some reason, the 11 marines in a squad is correct, then they'd be forced to take a Land Raider Crusader, since BA standard LRs can only carry 10 men. Its screwed up somewhere... I'm sure its at the 11 men per squad... but who knows.

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have heard good things about the Gaunt series, but have you ever tried the Ciaphas Cain series? Also staring a renowned Commisar of the Imperium, but this is his memoirs, with an Inquisitor acting as the editor. It's quite amusing, and about as close as you can get to comedy in 40k novels.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Nax wrote: »
    So, I'm almost done with the first Gaunt's Ghost Omnibus... I purchased the new Omnibus in the series yesterday to be prepared. These books are amazing. My IG regiment is now totally going to be the Tanith First and Only.

Lead by Colonel-Commisar Ibram Gaunt and Colonel Colm Corbec. Major Rawne is a douche and will therefore be killed off in my regiment :P

Edit: Regarding the new Apoc data sheets: The BA one is wrong somewhere... The tactical squads in the formation have 11 marines shown. This, of course, is too many marines. Each tactical squad has to take a land raider of any variant. Now, if for some reason, the 11 marines in a squad is correct, then they'd be forced to take a Land Raider Crusader, since BA standard LRs can only carry 10 men. Its screwed up somewhere... I'm sure its at the 11 men per squad... but who knows.

Actually Rawne turns out to be pretty awesome in later books.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited March 2009
    @Dragonpup: Its what I will be reading after I'm done with the Gaunt series, actually :P

@Tim: Shut up! I hate him right now and I hope he dies :P Do not ruin the series for me!

Nax on
  • Options
    UnarmedOracleUnarmedOracle Evolution's Finest Hour Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The Gaunt's Ghosts novels are really well-written and quite a lot of fun. They're formulaic, but formulaic in the way that Sharpe or Captain Jack Aubrey novels are formulaic -- "how are Gaunt and the boys going to save the Imperium today?" It's characters aren't terribly deep, but they are consistent and entertaining. I find they're far more interesting for Abnett's vision of 40k, which is always engaging always kind of makes sense. He's got a great talent for imagining reasons for things working the way they do.

I found that the first Cain novel was entertaining, and the subsequent ones were more or less tributes to it. Kind of like how U2 keeps putting out albums that are essentially covers of Joshua Tree.

UnarmedOracle on
    signature.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    @Dragonpup: Its what I will be reading after I'm done with the Gaunt series, actually :P

@Tim: Shut up! I hate him right now and I hope he dies :P Do not ruin the series for me!
    Man, then are you ever going to hate it when Milo goes rogue psyker, and the named characters that don't follow him to chaos, he kills. D:

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I now own a Shadowsword. :winky: I'm going to try and make all the variants interchangeable.

Also I stopped at another place on the way home and picked up some of those 8 spot movement trays for the Lord of the Rings games. My IG now look kick ass in their orderly lines. They work great for my infantry squads with the large based heavy weapon teams, but for the heavy weapons that are on small bases I'm putting all the grunts on the tray and placing the Sgt and Voxman behind.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited March 2009

Man, then are you ever going to hate it when Milo goes rogue psyker, and the named characters that don't follow him to chaos, he kills. D:

please, please, please tell me you're just fucking with me.

And Tim: Pics of IG in movement trays, prz

Nax on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    No, no. One of the chaos ogryn designs is directly based off of Bragg's appearance in the later books. Let me go see if I can dig it up on Forge World's website.

See, what happened was around the time Abnett went to work on the X-men comics he let the series kind of go on hiatus so that he could focus on the comics. The Ghosts series was still selling really hot, so Black Library didn't want there to be an extended break and put pressure on Abnett to churn out the next one. Finally, editorial mandate came down that to keep things lively, the series needed to be taken 'in a bold, new direction,' with apparent decision by committee being that that new direction would focus solely on Gaunt, dodging the Inquisition on one side, with Chaos on the other, as he tracked down and took revenge on those who betrayed him.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    If you ruin anything else in these series for me, so help me... :(

Nax on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm sorry, it's been a while since I've had a good opportunity to sell anyone a particularly warm and fragrant pile of bullshit, and I just couldn't let an opportunity so well situated to my particular brand of prevarication pass me by.:?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    just be glad he hasn't told you about the clown shoes yet

edit:beat'd

Alpharius on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Dude, no talking about the clown shoes.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So, more ruminating on that armylist
    I'm thinking of dropping a defiler, and putting in 2 oblits for some more flexibility with heavy weapons
    this also reduces the need for a reaper on the termies, so I could put in that heavy flamer as suggested
    and that change gives me a few more points to throw on some wargear

previous Chaos Marines 2000pts vs Orkses
    HQ
    Sorceror, Mark of Slaanesh, Lash of Submission, Personal Icon 130
    Greater Daemon 100

Elite
    10 Chosen, Champion, 4 Flamers, Icon Khorne, Rhino (outflank) 275
    5 Terminators, combi flamer, Reaper autocannon 180

Troops
    9 Noise Marines, 7 sonic blasters, rhino w/combi plasma 260
    10 CSM, autocannon, champion, icon Glory 185
    10 CSM, 2 meltaguns, icon Khorne, champion w/powerfist, rhino 275
    6 Lesser Daemons

Fast attack
    5 Raptors 100

Heavy
    Defiler, autocannon, extra CCW
    Predator, autocannon, Heavy bolters, Havoc launcer, 115

Alpharius on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No, no. One of the chaos ogryn designs is directly based off of Bragg's appearance in the later books. Let me go see if I can dig it up on Forge World's website.

See, what happened was around the time Abnett went to work on the X-men comics he let the series kind of go on hiatus so that he could focus on the comics.
    You were close, perhaps, until you said X-Men instead of Nova. :P

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

please, please, please tell me you're just fucking with me.

And Tim: Pics of IG in movement trays, prz

I tried but my camera died right when I tried to take photo.

I can also confirm that it is ridiculously easy to make the different variants in the Shadowsword box interchangeable. The only modification required is to glue some spare pieces of sprue inside to hold up the front hull/rear gun deck. (The part is flipped over depending if you have the gun housing forward on the hull or to the rear.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ' wrote:
    -[arlequin;9277071']So, more ruminating on that armylist
    I'm thinking of dropping a defiler, and putting in 2 oblits for some more flexibility with heavy weapons
    this also reduces the need for a reaper on the termies, so I could put in that heavy flamer as suggested
    and that change gives me a few more points to throw on some wargear

previous Chaos Marines 2000pts vs Orkses
    HQ
    Sorceror, Mark of Slaanesh, Lash of Submission, Personal Icon 130
    Greater Daemon 100

Elite
    10 Chosen, Champion, 4 Flamers, Icon Khorne, Rhino (outflank) 275
    5 Terminators, combi flamer, Reaper autocannon 180

Troops
    9 Noise Marines, 7 sonic blasters, rhino w/combi plasma 260
    10 CSM, autocannon, champion, icon Glory 185
    10 CSM, 2 meltaguns, icon Khorne, champion w/powerfist, rhino 275
    6 Lesser Daemons

Fast attack
    5 Raptors 100

Heavy
    Predator, autocannon, Heavy bolters, Havoc launcer, 115
    Do you know if you'll be facing nobz? Slaanesh lord with demon weapon (so, power attacks with instant death) would mess up their day, and might be worth considering.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't know why you wouldn't take a lord with demon weapon if you are playing Slaanesh. That thing is just ridiculous.

Foolish Chaos on
This discussion has been closed.