As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(Solved) Sharp, stabbing pain in oesophagus? [Yo dawg we herd u like coughing...]

Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her|Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So we installed moar coughs...
So H/A: I'm recovering from what I thought was an ordinary case of the Flu/Cold/Dry Cough I've had since last Friday, that was accompanied by a rather unusual level of heartburn. Swallowing anything other than water feels like ingesting rusty Shurikens from about halfway down my oesophagus. :(:cry:

I can't get to the Doctor's until Wednesday...

Haaaylp? :|

Zilla360 on

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Take sudafed in case the sore throat is being caused by post nasal drip from the cold. Tylenol as an analgesic that won't exacerbate the heartburn, and if it doesn't hurt to drink water, then keep drinking lots of water. You will not starve to death between now and Wednesday if you have to skip meals due to throat pain. See if you can choke down a milkshake or a slurpee or something cold and liquidish.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Doctor. Now.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    milk?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Doctor. Now.

A really shitty sore throat is not an emergency. "Stabbing pain" from a sore throat does not mean he swallowed a fish bone (you didn't swallow anything that could perforate your esophagus did you? No? Good.)

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've heard of people with fairly bad cases of acid reflux who felt a stabbing pain like they had a chicken/fish bone stuck in their throat. Given the heartburn, I'd say this is a possibility. Obviously, the correct answer is "see a doctor ASAP", but it couldn't hurt to eliminate foods that are known to aggravate reflux: coffee, chocolate, spicy foods, fatty foods, caffeine, carbonated beverages, and overly acidic foods, to name some of the big ones.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Doctor. Now.

A really shitty sore throat is not an emergency. "Stabbing pain" from a sore throat does not mean he swallowed a fish bone (you didn't swallow anything that could perforate your esophagus did you? No? Good.)

sorry, I read this as "stabbing pain in stomach"

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Also, an over the counter antacid might help (and to the best of my knowledge will not hurt) if you have acid reflux.

I'm definitely not saying don't see a doctor, but I don't think you should drive to the emergency room tonight either.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    While I don't know that an ER visit is called for, if you can't get in to see your regular Doc until Wednesday, you ought to go to a drop in clinic before then IMO.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    when I have a sore throat I take Ibuprofen. Cold medicine doesn't help me deal with the pain nearly as much as painkillers do (surprise!). Don't go crazy, though.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Have you thoroughly checked you are not being stabbed in the oesophagus

(Lemon tea and honey works wonders)

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    *....checks* *is not being stabbed*

Anyhow, just got off the phone with a nurse (I was on hold for half an hour!) at my local surgery and she thinks it might be this. :(

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Doctor. Now.

sorry, I read this as "stabbing pain in stomach"

The only thing worse than this is.

"I had a horrible sharp pain near my stomach, felt like i was being stabbed. But just like that, it went away."

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    milk?

No, if he is coughing or anything like that milk makes your phelgm (sp?) thicker and its harder to cough to break up what is in there. Doctor ASAP.

Laonar on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just sounds like a bad sore throat to me. Go to the doctor and get a strep throat test when you get the chance.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    *....checks* *is not being stabbed*

Anyhow, just got off the phone with a nurse (I was on hold for half an hour!) at my local surgery and she thinks it might be this. :(

It has a name. That means we can treat it.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    do yu have swollen lymph nodes? (jaw meets neck area) i am thinking strep. does tea help?

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I had exactly this happen about 8 years ago. Sudden, unexplained pain in my esophagus when attempting to swallow, right after a week or so of a mild cold. It was entirely unlike strep pain - a constant dull burn that crept up my chest into my throat and increased in intensity as it went whenever I swallowed. Even the strongest antacids did essentially nothing. I scheduled a doctor visit, but ended up waiting an agonizing week - by the end of which, it had gone away. I ended up not visiting the doctor, as it had been completely gone for a day or two by the time the appointment was set to come up (I know, I still should've gone - I was young and stupid). I've never had anything similar at all.

So go to the doctor and get it diagnosed - do what they say. Just thought I'd throw in a happier possibility than GRD.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Reflux could have burned your throat.

Could be thrush. That makes you feel utterly aware of everything you swallow as it drags painfully down your oesophagus. You intimately learn exactly where in your chest your foodtube finishes and your stomach begins.

You didn't take antibiotics for the throat did you? They can help thrush to get going.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dark Moon wrote: »
    I had exactly this happen about 8 years ago. Sudden, unexplained pain in my esophagus when attempting to swallow, right after a week or so of a mild cold. It was entirely unlike strep pain - a constant dull burn that crept up my chest into my throat and increased in intensity as it went whenever I swallowed. Even the strongest antacids did essentially nothing. I scheduled a doctor visit, but ended up waiting an agonizing week - by the end of which, it had gone away. I ended up not visiting the doctor, as it had been completely gone for a day or two by the time the appointment was set to come up (I know, I still should've gone - I was young and stupid). I've never had anything similar at all.

So go to the doctor and get it diagnosed - do what they say. Just thought I'd throw in a happier possibility than GRD.
    Thankyou! This post helped me so much! PA forums rock! :D:D

Mods can lock this now if they like. :)

Zilla360 on
This discussion has been closed.