As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SanDiego Comic-con 2009 lodgings

jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Graphic Violence
My wife and I are making the treak down from Alaska to California for comic-con this year. We are now looking at lodgings and apparently hotels in california during the summer are expensive beasts. This is our first time attending a convention out of state, and we have no qualms in sleeping in the crappiest of crapholes. You guys have any better ideas than hotels? Are there hostels or anything?

Backlog Challenge: 0%
0/8

PS2
FF X replay

PS3
God of War 1&2 HD
Rachet and Clank Future
MGS 4
Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
Fable 3

DS
FF: 4 heroes of light
jeddy lee on

• TachTach Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You can look into some of the motels in Mission Valley- there's a train trolley shuttle that runs through there to downtown and will let you off right in front of the Convention Center, about a 20-30 minute ride. The motels will probably be cheaper than anything you'll find closer to downtown. Trolley tickets will probably be cheaper than parking in the area as well.

Tach on
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The block of hotel rooms that the convention reserves will go up on the 19th at 9:00am pst.
    Expect them to be pretty much gone around 9:15am pst.
    They tend to be a good bit cheaper than the standard rates of the hotels in the immediate area for that time frame. Still not what I'd call "cheap", but cheaper.
    Just check out the area and make a list in order of preference of what hotels you'd want to stay at before attempting it so you dont get slowed down by too many decisions when trying to make the reservation.

I'm also not sure on the time frame you can book if you plan to stay much before or after the convention.

akajaybay on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, I was just in San Diego last week. Curse you, timing!

A helpful hint, though, the trollys stop running around midnight. So be careful if you get caught out late, you might be stuck paying $40 for a taxi ride.

Mr Pink on
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Damn, if that availability meter on the site is actually accurate it's looking like there's a good chance the 4 day passes will sell out before they even do the rush to book hotels.

akajaybay on
  • JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is anyone else on the "Hang in there" page for a hotel? Jeeeesus an hour and counting!

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Damn, if that availability meter on the site is actually accurate it's looking like there's a good chance the 4 day passes will sell out before they even do the rush to book hotels.

The four day passes have been available for like ever though.

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    edited March 2009
    They were sold out as of yesterday, though.

Tach on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah... and I bought mine like, last august.

EDIT: In yo face!

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    edited March 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »
    Yeah... and I bought mine like, last august.

EDIT: In yo face!

*tear*

Tach on