As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Urban Dead] "I Looted Caiger Mall and All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt."

ColtColt .45ColoradoRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
23ucz9c.gif

In death, the city stirs. Its borders still locked down after a sudden government quarantine three years ago, Malton's trapped civilians make their way through the derelict buildings, surviving the changing seasons to rebuild their fragmented society from the rubble upwards. Military cleanup squads patrol the empty streets, stationed in the city for the long haul, while embedded scientific groups continue the experiments that brought them here.

And the dead rise up and thrive, trailing through the ruined streets of the city, milling between buildings and clawing through makeshift barricades and diversions, reclaiming the city as their own.

Urban Dead is a "low tech" MMORPG that you play in your browser. It's the best brower game ever as it only takes 10-15 minutes a day to play. It is a post-apocalyptic zombie RPG with two sides to it: Survivors and Zombies. Survivors do just that: survive. They have no other fixed objective other then to try to live to see the next day. Zombies try to what every zombie loves best: eat Survivor brains. This is the best zombie game I've ever played. It is the closest thing that get's to all those people's "dream game" of simply surviving the zombie apocalypse. It's yourself, an open town, and a whole fuckload of zombies that want to eat YOU.

Urban Dead takes place in the fictional city of Malton. Malton is located in no where specific. While it has a very American city feel, there are also places that show it could be located somewhere in Europe. The bars, for example, are all named in a European style. It has no relation to the two towns named Malton that exist in real life. Malton has been sealed off to the rest of the world due to a virus of unknown origin that has caused the dead to rise. The number of dead grew rapidly and now the remaining people in Malton are trying to survive until...well, some form of hope arrives. Until then, they need to deal with the dead that now populate the city. You are one surivor among many. When you start playing Urban Dead you can pick one of several classes of Survivor, and they all come in three catagories: Military, Scientist, and Civilian.

sging7.jpg
Military classes represent the military forces left behind during the quarentine. They also have two of the better starting classes in the game and one of the worst. Survivors with the Military character class pay 75 XP for all Military skills, 150 XP for Science skills, and 100 XP for all other skills.

Private
Private's are the basic soldier. They start with Basic Firearms Training which allows them to hit more often with all firearms, and a pistol with some ammo to start killing right away. It's a good starting class. However, one problem you'll be facing early on is that guns take ammo, and you will be spending a lot of time searching for more after you run out of your initial two clips. Like all Military classes, they also pay a hefty price for Science skills.

Medic
Medic's are healers, and the worst class to begin as in the Military tree. They only start with a pistol and a first aid kit, and there starting skill is First Aid which is a loss of EXP early on. While you heal 5hp more then everyone else, you don't get any more EXP if you do. As a Medic you will spend a lot of time searching for first aid kits and wasting actions in combat because of your poor combat skills. I started as a Medic and I'm telling you NOT to start as one.

Scout
Scout's are a very fast moving class. They start out with the amazing Free Running skill. This allows you to enter a building from other buildings, avoiding the streets all together. However, you have no combat skills. Because of your manuverability you have a better chance of surviving for a longer time then other characters tho. My reccomendation is to find a building you will have easy access to get into always and use it to get back into hiding when your done fighting zombies outside.

2qwo3ud.jpg
Scientists are characters who worked for the mysterious NecroTech company that worked out of Malton. The two Scientist classes are so-so starting classes. EXP can come easy for them, but combat will still be hard. Survivors with the Scientist character class pay 75 XP for all Science skills, 150 XP for Military skills, and 100 XP for all other skills.

NecroTech Lab Assistant
Lab Assistants are decent to start with. They get good EXP by "tagging" zombies with there DNA Extractor, which they can only use at the begining because of the skill NecroTech Employment. They have no combat skills however, and like all Scientists, Military skills are the most expensive. They will also have a hard time getting inside buildings since Free Running is also a Military skill.

Doctor
So what is the difference between a Doctor and a Medic? A Doctor starts with the Diagnosis skills, which lets him see the HP of all injured Survivors. It makes healing a lot easier since you don't have to waste actions checking everyone to see if they are injured like a Medic has to. They start with two first aid kits. They have the same weaknesses as the Lab Assistant.

25q90f4.jpg
Civilians represent the every day citizens of Malton. Some are civil servants while others are just people. Civilians have two GREAT starting classes and one TERRIBLE one. Worse then the Medic. Civilians pay 100 XP for all skills, a huge advantage in the long run.

Cop
Cop's are up there with the three best starting classes. They start with the skill Basic Firearms Training and start with a pistol, flak jacket, and a radio. They come combat ready, but suffer the same problem as the Private: they need ammo. They are more flexable then the Private, however, because all skills for them cost 100 XP.

Firefighter
The Firefighter is the best starting class in the game. Your starting skill gives you the most combat ready and easiest to use character. Firefighter's start with Axe Proficiency which makes it easter to his with his starting weapon, the fire axe, which is the best melee weapon in the game. They don't need to find ammo like a Private or a Cop, and they can level up within two days to get Hand To Hand Combat which makes them a zombie chopping machine. If you are just starting in Urban Dead, pick a Firefighter.

Consumer
Consumers are so bad I forgot to talk about them when I posted this. They have the starting skill Shopping, which lets you find things in malls easier but that is about it. They have no combat ability, a random melee weapon to start with, and a cell phone which you can't even use right away because if your new, you don't know anyone to call. Don't be a Consumer.

oje534.jpg
Zombies are the enemy. Most of the time. You can also start out as a zombie! Zombies have a completly seperate set of skills open to them. You should get to know them since, at some point, you may find yourself as one of them. Zombies have access to the zombie skills tree, and pay 100 XP for all zombie skills. Click the image above for a full read on what the starting zombie can do.

Now, you may have seen me toss around a few terms like skills and EXP. Well, now I'll explain all that to you with a screenshot of the game.

1zd0xuv.jpg

Starting with the right side of the screen on the top, you have your area description. Pretty self-explanatory. Down from there are your actions for the immediate area. Down from there is your characters inventory. Unless your a pack rat, you probably won't be carrying around that much stuff. On the left side starting on top is a grid of the city. You play on that. The top bar is the name of the suburb you are in. The building in the middle is always the building you are at. You can move to any of the buildings in that 6x6 grid and when you do the view will move and you will find more buildings. Under that if your characters status. Every character in the game starts with 50 HP and you can gain 10 more from a skill (Body Building). Your EXP is counted in this box too. The most important thing here, more then your HP, is your Action Points (AP). You have a max of 50 AP and it regenerates at one every half hour. Every time you move, shoot, heal, talk, reload, enter, exit, do something, you use at least one AP. Under that are some menu options, but the most important in the Buy Skills menu. Here you can buy more skills for EXP. Any character can use any skill, you just need the EXP for it. If you start as a Scientist, you can still buy Military skills, etc. The second most important link is the Wiki button. The Wiki has EVERYTHING. If you want information on the suburb you are in, go to the wiki. If you want info on a certain group of people, check the wiki. It's all there.

So, now that I've presented you with everyone you need to know before playing Urban Dead, what about when you first start? Well, there are some things already written about that. First Day in Malton is a good guide to check out. The Urban Dead Wiki has a guide section right on the front page. As said before, it's the best place for Urban Dead information.

I'm done talking. Click the logo at the top to get to Urban Dead. Go kill some zombies.

--

Looking for some P-A'ers? To add contacts use http://profiles.urbandead.info/ to look up their UD ID#. Enter the person's name, and click on it once the search comes up positive to get to their profile.

If you want to be added to this list of people, PM me with your in game name. If your in game name has a ? next to it, PM me and I'll correct it.

Colt - thebrassthief (1404662)
Kajusta - Neil Carslake (1486162)
Bigity - Radaster (1486219)
chasehatesbears - Chase Bearpuncher (1485913)
JamesDM - JamesDM (35759)
Pat_McRoch - Tristane (1486033)
Capuano - Capuano (270166)
Darth_Mogs - Kyle Adler (1486619)
Domhnall - Jim O'Rourke (825478)
Carcharodontosaurus - Ian Jekyll (102455)
MegaMek - Paintninja (753099)
Captain Eleven - DeForest McCoy (1486805)
Agies - Thelnin (1487274)
Shorn Scrotum Man - ShornSM (1486982)
urahonky - urahonky PA (1486520)
OSUJumpMan - Lief Mainz (1486217)
Docken - Kordin (1488371)
Septus - Fist Steelpuncher (1486745)
Amikron Devalia - Dan Blaze (1489590)
Arkans - BLU team scout (1489679)
Mr. Defecation - JuntaLemea (456488)
Fencingsax - Cold Hand (1489861)
Jaramr - Jaramrmr (1489897)
Commissar Demosthenes - Mynd (462866)
riz - Bolt Van der Huge (1486948)
PolloDiablo - PolloDiablo (64561)
Scepter - Alfred Bilton (1487793)
MoSiAc - Lomi Avono (1486606)
Kae - Token Female (1488547)
? - Arrath (1486832)
? - Kordin (1488371)
? - Remy Grimes (610343)
Caelum Militis - Kayliee (146935)
? - Grunji (1488531)
Darkewolfe - Digitalwolfe (1486294)
AJAlkaline40 - AJAcidic (130301)
Arkan - BLU Team Medic (1490321)
Mandalorian Rooster - Mandalori (1491667)
Beoulve - ShinRyaKu (190753)
Golf153 - Golf153 (972659)
Antithesis - Tony Adams (871096)
Dehumanized - Mark Antwon (1490373)
Tommy2Hands - Tommy2Hands (1491543)
Lokiamis - Abraham Weaver (1489505)
Jobastion - Jobe Bas (13559)
Kass - Zed McDougan (1490784)
Seg - Turvez (1496648)
Arthil - Williard Anderson (1495815)
PsychoCucumber - Wownerd (1487806)
Stew_Stick - SpaceStick (1492383)
Dojango - Captain Rehab (1506393)
Killer Avacado - Oliver A Cladak (1506566)
Nick Soapdish - Nick Soapdish (107775)
wet cardboard - wet cardboard - 1495266
Cheeseliker - Crazy Hobo Bob (1500515)
WhiteZinfandel - Whitezinfandel8 (1486378)

Where are we?
We've set up a group called We Are Nice Guys. To join, just go to Settings and type it into the Group box. Click on that link to find our revive point policy and radio frequency. We are set up in the Stark Building in Scarletwood.

As a reminder to everyone, the group name is We Are Nice Guys, NOT WANG.

Suburb Notes
Ledward Park, an area just South of our HQ, is a revive point. Don't kill zombies there, as a few of them may be one of us.

Luellin Tower is considered an off-limits zone in Scarletwood. Why? Because it is filled with faggoty GameFAQ retards who think they are tough shit. If you mess with the building they will BAAAAAW so loud it will bring what is imagined a legion of zombies down on the suburb. They prefer to do things this way because they have small dicks and are too gay to play the real way.

The Garrnis Building is home to a friendly group called The Garrnis Border Patrol. They are cool guys and will help you if you need it. While you can't access the building directly, one of the surrounding buildings should be open so you can free run inside.

--

How to make your game awesome if you are using Firefox:

1. Go to http://udtoolbar.mozdev.org/
2. Install udtoolbar
3. Shoot Zombies.
Screenshot1.jpg
That is an older screenshot however, and the inventory won't look like that. Credit to Nocren for the find.

There is also UDBrain, a MySQL database to keep track of the barricade status of all the buildings in Malton.
screen.jpg

steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
Colt on

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    How often do you have to log in to not get eated? Once a day? Every few hours?

Scooter on
  • ImmolationImmolation Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    I've played this before

it is neat

Immolation on
  • ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just a word of warning, while this game is pretty fun it is not for the impatient.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I pop in an make a move every now and then. I'm still low level on these accounts since my old ones got axed I think.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • ColtColt .45 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    How often do you have to log in to not get eated? Once a day? Every few hours?

I log in once, maybe twice a day and I've been alive for several weeks now, but I've also found a good hospital to hang at and call home. It's kept open so newbies can get into it as well. St Herman's Hospital in Roll Heights.
    Arkan wrote: »
    Just a word of warning, while this game is pretty fun it is not for the impatient.

Indeed. It SUCKED for me while I was trying to get my combat skills up.

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • Pat_McRochPat_McRoch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thanks for posting this, I got into web games recently via a friend and this looks awesome.

I'm heading up towards you now Colt, also found a cell phone on my first search!

Pat_McRoch on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The last time I visited Caiger Mall, I was wounded and infected. I asked for some first aid and got a bullet between my eyes.

Haven't been back since :|

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well you were infected. Zombie lover.

Bigity on
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Alright, I made a civilian firefighter and I get the overall premise, but I'm not sure the best way to gain EXP. Should I just bang on zombies with my axe?

EDIT: Read the recommended literature and answer is apparently yes.

chasehatesbears on
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Made a firefighter, name's Neil Carslake.

Should make a character list in the OP or something.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited March 2009
    I made Radaster, also a firefighter.

Bigity on
    edited March 2009
    To add contacts use http://profiles.urbandead.info/ to look up their UD ID#.

Enter the person's name, and click on it once the search comes up positive to get to their profile.

I added you, Bigity.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited March 2009
    Cool, added. I found an extra axe and radio if anybody wants one.

Bigity on
    edited March 2009
    Do we need cellphones to talk to each other?

Hmm, I think I'll hit up a mall or something once I get more AP.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited March 2009
    I dunno, radios might work if tuned, but then again they may only receive broadcasts.

Bigity on
    edited March 2009
    Wonder if I should take free-running first or pistols

Probably free-running

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited March 2009
    I was thinking that or hand-to-hand combat.

Bigity on
  • CapuanoCapuano Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey, I haven't played this in forever. Thanks for the reminder.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
    Starcraft 2: jawaka.947
  • NoCatsNoCats Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I made a zombie earlier and wandered around for bit. I ran out of AP while attacking a barricade in a junkyard, hopefully nobody will find him.

NoCats on
    edited March 2009
    Kajusta wrote: »

Probably free-running

Free running allows you to jump across the tops of buildings, right? That comes in handy.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
    edited March 2009
    I'm going to have to wait till tomorrow to do anything significant, I wasted so many AP trying to find zombies.

For a game with such minimal graphics, it's actually pretty compelling.

Oh and it's Chase Bearpuncher, Firefighter.

chasehatesbears on
    edited March 2009
    Capuano wrote: »
    Kajusta wrote: »

Probably free-running

Free running allows you to jump across the tops of buildings, right? That comes in handy.

Yeah, it allows you to only spend 1 ap to go to another location as opposed to selecting the area you want to go, then the building, which spends 2 ap. Also, it lets you get into buildings that are heavily barricaded.

Here's the list I'm putting together of everyone's names and UD IDs.
    To add contacts use http://profiles.urbandead.info/ to look up their UD ID#.

Enter the person's name, and click on it once the search comes up positive to get to their profile.

Colt- Colt (55936)
    Kajusta- Neil Carslake (1486162)
    Bigity- Radaster (1486219)
    chasehatesbears- Chase Bearpuncher (1485913)
    JamesDM- JamesDM (35759)

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited March 2009
    JamesDM- JamesDM (35759)

Old account apparently, appears to be almost 1.5 million accounts now.

*edit*
    I am currently at Herman's Hospital in Rolt Heights. You need free running to get in.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

edited March 2009
    Added you to the list, James.

Kind of wish there was more stuff to do once you run out of AP, but I guess that's why it's a text game.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited March 2009
    Finding zombies has been a huge pain in the ass thus far.

But I've already managed to kill some unlucky dude on my zombie character.

chasehatesbears on
  • ColtColt .45 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    JamesDM wrote: »
    JamesDM- JamesDM (35759)

Old account apparently, appears to be almost 1.5 million accounts now.

*edit*
    I am currently at Herman's Hospital in Rolt Heights. You need free running to get in.

You can try to get in now. Seems some moron heavily barricaded it.

And Kajusta, I added your list to the OP.

And I reccomend getting Free Running before anything else. While it may not help in combat, it keeps you alive longer to get the combat skills.

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • Pat_McRochPat_McRoch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Here's my name Colt:

Tristane - 1486033 Fireman

Might as well start a fire brigade with all the firemen we have.

Pat_McRoch on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I haven't played in over 2 years, I doubt my character is still there.
    I played a Lab Assistant, and gained most of my XP by using the DNA Extractor and operating my own revive point (I had spray painted a note at a graveyard and stopped by every day to revive whatever zombies had gathered there and then free ran back to my safe hideout).
    Then I went on a two week vacation and kind of forgot about it. I logged on once later on and saw that I was dead and my entire area was a zombie wasteland where all the barricades had been torn down and I don't think I've logged in since.

Lars on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The thing I love most about this game is that the environment is constantly changing. And area that has a functional revive-point and tons of survivors one day can be swarming in zombies the next, and then barren wasteland for weeks after, until a small group of survivors wanders by and fixes everything back up.

Of course, nothing beats loading up on shotgun shells for weeks at a mall, then running out one day and slaughtering a group of zeds.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
    edited March 2009
    So, my character from 2005 is now (obviously) a zombie. I'm thinking about just starting another human character and trying not to die.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    We're getting the old band back together? I'm up for it. I'm probably lying dead in Giddings Mall.

PolloDiablo on
    edited March 2009
    Sweet, we've got quite a few people now.

Are you able to get together and barricade your own buildings and such? Like, make a nice home-base? If so, we should do that, haha.

edit: Ffffffuck. I left Julie General Hospital in Wyke Hills and someone fucking barricaded it from it's VSB status, so I can't get back in. I basically wandered around, but I couldn't find anywhere that wasn't barricaded all the way; hope I don't die.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you're using Firefox and want to pretty up the game a little, try this add-on
    http://udtoolbar.mozdev.org/

And I'm holed up in Urban General with about 50 others. Name's Simon Kiver (1486485).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Damn it, 160 click limit? What the fuck?

Also, that addon is tits.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • ShukaroShukaro Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Nice game, but not for those people who forget to log on for days on end. Can be quite a surprise when you do.

Shukaro on
    edited March 2009
    Found a lightly barricaded hospital in Wyke that I'm going to chill at until tomorrow. Hopefully I can get a killing blow on a zombie or something so I can get some nice experience.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited March 2009
    Alright, anyone who needs a revive and feels like making the trek to Rolt Heights, I can res 3. Let me know by either PM or post and we will set up a revive point.

JamesDM on

• AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think I have about 7 maxed characters in this game, I vaguely remember paying something for extra clicks too. This was all ages ago, must be years, but I just tried logging in and they're still there. It's fun in a big group, but on your own the only way to have any fun is by annoying other players.

Edit - One of my characters is still alive somehow.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
    edited March 2009
    I might just take you up on your offer, JamesDM. My guy is right at the western edge of Ridleybank, so it may take me a little bit to get there.

Capuano - 270166

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
    edited March 2009
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    I think I have about 7 maxed characters in this game, I vaguely remember paying something for extra clicks too. This was all ages ago, must be years, but I just tried logging in and they're still there. It's fun in a big group, but on your own the only way to have any fun is by annoying other players.

Edit - One of my characters is still alive somehow.

Name?

If you are planning to play, that is.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
This discussion has been closed.