As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What to do with a yellow car?

UnknownSaintUnknownSaint KasynRegistered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've had my little Toyota Camry for a couple years now, and my parents have recently acquired a bright-ass yellow 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer, which they want to give me and take back the Camry. (We own a tow company, the Lancer owner didn't want to get her car out so it's mine now.)

Anyhow, after a bit of body work it's going to get new paint (still staying yellow) and I was asked if maybe I wanted to do something a little different with it. Honestly I don't mind the yellow, but I think it could benefit from something a little more, just to break up the canary/sunflower/your eyes are bleeding brightness of it. I'm considering something black, maybe the sideskirts and bottom of the front/rear bumpers, but I don't want anything that obnoxiously screams 'lawlriceburner', but rather something that is subtle and simply makes the car look better.

So if anyone has any ideas or has seen something that works well, kick 'em out here, I definitely need opinions on this.

UnknownSaint on

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Maybe do the door handles, wing mirrors, and roof in black? You're still going to be kind of stuck with a yellow Lancer getting ricer comments though. You could always go nuts and give it the WRC paint job:

lrg_article_11562-img_0.jpg

use black on the yellow you have in the same style as the white on red.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    are flames out of the question? the only reason i would keep a car yellow would be to paint flames on it.

you could also do a black racing stripe down the centerline of the car.

like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/califdreama/1591163375/

Dunadan019 on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Paint the hood black, pretend it's carbon fibre.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Paint the hood black, pretend it's carbon fibre.

Never, ever going to do that, but a carbon fiber hood isn't out of the question in the future, which is part of why I want to do black.

And god no, no flames.

I'm not so sure about anything down the center, I wouldn't mind something down the side, maybe on the lower part of it. Like I said, subtle is better.

UnknownSaint on
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    http://www.warehousemotors.com/store/item.asp?id=253

Some good ideas right here.

Seriously though, I think you have the right idea. If you really want to paint it, paint the sideskirts and crap, maybe the handles and a mirrors and call it done. Don't paint anything down the middle. Don't paint stripes down the side. Honestly, I would just leave it be. Either way, even if you just paint a small part of it black, the yellow is still going to be there, except now it is going to look like a bumble bee.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Autobot emblem, get one.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    honestly, unless you're doing a true full respray (i.e. panels/doors off, windows out, etc.) then it's going to look like ass wherever the yellow is left (i.e doorjambs, trunk, under hood, etc.)

illig on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Never, ever going to do that, but a carbon fiber hood isn't out of the question in the future, which is part of why I want to do black.

CF on 120hp car = no. :|

Get yourself some forged pistons and boost that fucker, stock bottom end is pretty solid on those and should be able to take 7-8psi easily. Then you can start dressing it up like a baby Evo. ;)

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • TopweaselTopweasel Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I've had my little Toyota Camry for a couple years now, and my parents have recently acquired a bright-ass yellow 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer, which they want to give me and take back the Camry. (We own a tow company, the Lancer owner didn't want to get her car out so it's mine now.)

Anyhow, after a bit of body work it's going to get new paint (still staying yellow) and I was asked if maybe I wanted to do something a little different with it. Honestly I don't mind the yellow, but I think it could benefit from something a little more, just to break up the canary/sunflower/your eyes are bleeding brightness of it. I'm considering something black, maybe the sideskirts and bottom of the front/rear bumpers, but I don't want anything that obnoxiously screams 'lawlriceburner', but rather something that is subtle and simply makes the car look better.

So if anyone has any ideas or has seen something that works well, kick 'em out here, I definitely need opinions on this.

If its anything like my yellow car I suggest getting as many spare bumpers as possible. Since it sticks out like a sore thumb people become numb to it and then its like they never see it.

Topweasel on
    edited March 2009
    illig wrote: »
    honestly, unless you're doing a true full respray (i.e. panels/doors off, windows out, etc.) then it's going to look like ass wherever the yellow is left (i.e doorjambs, trunk, under hood, etc.)

I'm not getting it repainted a new color, to avoid this kind of thing. (And the heavier cost in a full new paintjob.)

And honestly I like the looks of a carbon fiber hood and think it goes well with a yellow car, but yeah, definitely a good point PF.

UnknownSaint on
    edited March 2009
    And honestly I like the looks of a carbon fiber hood and think it goes well with a yellow car, but yeah, definitely a good point PF.

Couple here in the spoiler. Most blind-linked, so hopefully they work.
    IMG_0287.jpg
    SD530524.jpg
    img_0231-large.jpg
    pics-med-13972-335987-2002-mitsubishi-lancer-oz-rally.jpg

Different strokes and all, but I'm really not liking that on any level. Maybe something like blacking out the grille and dark wheels?

There really isn't much you can do though, it's still a yellow Lancer. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, I find most of those look awful, though that Mazda isn't bad. Lawl at the first and last.

Maybe just a blacked out grill and smoked headlights - was planning on getting black wheels anyhow because I will need new rims. No crazy paint or stripes involved, though I don't think black trim on the bottom would look bad at all, as the size of bottom portion of the sideskirts and the front/rear bumpers would make it look pretty clean. I really just want something that breaks up the look of 'THISYELLOWISBRIGHTASFUCK' which is all I can think of when I look at it.

Though JDM rear bumper is kind of tempting...I find the rear bumper obnoxiously large and flat as it is normally.

UnknownSaint on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'd totally rock a yellow WRX.

Lancers don't look good in bright colors or in person.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Malkor wrote: »

Well like I've said, it's the car I'm getting and it's the color it's staying in, so I'm unsure how this helps.

UnknownSaint on
  • msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Save the money on looks and put it into performance.

msuitepyon on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Malkor wrote: »

Well like I've said, it's the car I'm getting and it's the color it's staying in, so I'm unsure how this helps.

Oh, I'm just being a jerk. I think black wheels look good with bright colors like yellow.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I remember wanted to buy a yellow car just so I could give it black stripes and tell people I rode around on a bumblebee. While this isn't necessarily helpful advice, you could live my dream!

Also, I can't think of a lot of paint jobs you could do to a yellow car that wouldn't make it look like a show-car or a racer's vehicle. I feel that even painting just the skirts black would make it look sort of like a racers bit. Although now that I'm just thinking about it, what if you got a rubber coat around the skirt instead of just painting it black, it might look a little less flashy and still dull the yellow out a bit. This could also make it look like a bumper car; this might not actually be something you'd want to encourage.

Arminas on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I really just want something that breaks up the look of 'THISYELLOWISBRIGHTASFUCK' which is all I can think of when I look at it.

Just own it man. Yellow's a nice color for compacts. Personally I'm not a big fan of paint customization unless it's whole hog (whole custom paint job or artcar), as just stock paint kept in good condition has universal appeal.

Djeet on
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Black stripes.

Something like the white stripes you see on a AC Cobra or maybe you can do something more fancy kinda like the ALMS Corvette GT1 teams (OT. Go Big Mag. Go).

http://www.vetteweb.com/features/vemp_0802w_alms_corvette_paint_scheme/photo_07.html

displayphoto.php?a=Laguna%20Paint%2008&p=IMG_6762_[1600x1200].jpg

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Another vote for black wing mirrors and handles.

Also maybe the roof?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Djeet wrote: »
    I really just want something that breaks up the look of 'THISYELLOWISBRIGHTASFUCK' which is all I can think of when I look at it.

Just own it man. Yellow's a nice color for compacts. Personally I'm not a big fan of paint customization unless it's whole hog (whole custom paint job or artcar), as just stock paint kept in good condition has universal appeal.
    I've gotta agree. If anything, painting components black isn't going to tone down the yellow, but provide contrast to make it stand out even more.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TopweaselTopweasel Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Iroh wrote: »
    Djeet wrote: »

I've gotta agree. If anything, painting components black isn't going to tone down the yellow, but provide contrast to make it stand out even more.

I have to agree as an owner of an insanely yellow car nothing will make it any less yellow. If you try it will just look like a yellow car that some one went all crazy on. Don't waste money on making less of a banana and worry more about its performance. Let no one doubt the power of your banana.

Topweasel on
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    2002-06-Mitsubishi-Lancer-02808151990005.jpg

That the car? I'd see about getting the current black parts painted yellow personally. Like where the mirrors attach to the doors and the black trim around the windows. But then, I find a bright colored car with very straight lines looks killer. So I'd accentuate those.

As for the side skirts, if they're painted black it could make the car look a little funny. The bright yellow might end up looking like the bottom of the car so it'll look like its jacked up a bunch.

Also, adding black to the yellow is going to make the yellow stick out more, not tone it down. That's why all those cars above look ricer.

I guess you could look into getting a copy of some racing game that lets you change the appearance of your car too, and experiment with that. Depending how much time you want to spend seeing how different things turn out.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I first thought of this:

evo02.jpg

But then I saw this:

2002-06-Mitsubishi-Lancer-02808151990005.jpg

And remembered how awesome this is:

evox.jpg

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I agree that you just might have to focus on what's inside.

Edit:

Side note, what was Mitsubishi thinking with that model?

Satsumomo on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Edit:

Side note, what was Mitsubishi thinking with that model?
    "Fuck America"

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Really all you need is some checkered stripes here and there and BAM!

DTM_134_gr1145990642.jpg

You own adjunct taxi service.

Yes that's a Porsche

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm in Satsumomo's boat. I was thinking more evo, or current lancer looking lancer.

There is nothing you can do with that car. There is probably a reason the owner didn't want it anymore.

EskimoDave on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Maybe if you can replace the grill, because that's the part I hate the most in that specific model.

Satsumomo on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    underbody lights
    i think at this point you might just have to resign yourself to living a quarter mile a time
    but at least for those ten seconds (probably about twenty in your case :P) or less you'll be free and nothing else matters

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    dear god never put underglow on a car, ever. Find a nice set of 5Zigen FN01RCs (in bronze, black, or gunmetal), swap out that grill, and you're 50x better already.

clsCorwin on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Paint it like Bumblebee.

DarkPrimus on
  • Diomedes240zDiomedes240z Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    First of all, *YELLOW CAR HIGH FIVE*

Used to be you could break up the yellow with chrome, but sadly, those days are long gone.

I don't have much to add in terms of what you *should* do, I just wanted to discourage you from doing anything too crazy like blends from one colour to the other. Extremely difficult to touch up if someone dings a panel, and near impossible to replace a panel and have it look the same. Also, I haven't seen a car made after 1979 with flames painted on it look good, and I don't like carbon fibre bonnets.

I think yellow looks good with red highlights. A nice set of wheels with a big red set of 4 pot calipers sitting behind them, for example. Red seatbelts could look either awesome or gay, and you won't find out until you do it. :P

Diomedes240z on
    fdod80.jpg
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A yellow car isn't that bad

A friend of mine has an absolutely wonderful looking '84 Laser

That model in the middle of the 3 is an ass ugly car no matter the colour, just deal

The Black Hunter on
    edited March 2009
    clsCorwin wrote: »
    dear god never put underglow on a car, ever. Find a nice set of 5Zigen FN01RCs (in bronze, black, or gunmetal), swap out that grill, and you're 50x better already.

It's an excellent prank though. After a school dance once, there were a few boxes of those stupid glowsticks, still unused.

$5 worth of zipties, four guys, and a bit of work later, and our vice-principal was sporting one pimped-out Chevy Impala. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited March 2009
    So I guess I'm just going to go with the smoked headlights/taillights, rims, and an all black grill. It's going to need new rims anyhow, so the most expensive of all those things is justified.

Then I guess I'll kit it out (primered of course, maybe rattlecan those parts) and put a double-decker aluminum spoiler on it, followed by an exhaust tip large enough to fit a basketball.

Seriously though, thanks for all the input!

UnknownSaint on