As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Printer Sharing Not Working Under Windows XP

maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what?New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
edited November 2009 in Moe's Stupid Technology Tavern
So I've got two computers on the same wireless network, and I want to be able to print from one computer to a printer that's connected to the second.

I turned on the printer sharing option for that particular printer, but when I browse for a network printer on the second computer, it only shows other computers in the building, not the one that's in the same fucking room.

Any thoughts? It worked just fine before. The printer went out, and we got a new one. Now I can't get it to share.

FU7kFbw.png
Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
maximumzero on

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Try to access the windows share directly and not browsing for the computer. Sometimes that windows network shit is really buggy.

IE)

start->run->\\(computername)\
    or
    start->run->\\(computerIP)\

You'll most likely get a password prompt, let me know how that works.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    Try to access the windows share directly and not browsing for the computer. Sometimes that windows network shit is really buggy.

IE)

start->run->\\(computername)\
    or
    start->run->\\(computerIP)\

You'll most likely get a password prompt, let me know how that works.

Doing that brings up an explorer window ironically showing the printer that I want to access, but when I try to connect it gives me a "windows cannot connect to the printer" error.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited March 2009
    I figured it as much. Usually that error has to do with not having privileges to install the printer or a firewall issue. I assume windows file and printer sharing has been put as the exception to the windows firewall on both computers, correct? (for the sake of testing, I'd turn the firewall off on both PCs)

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited March 2009
    If yes, and I'm assuming you're not using active directory or the likes, you'll probably need to make an identical username on the remote computer that matches yours. Identical in username and password. This will fake out windows to assume you have authentication ability. However you'll have to do this with every username and password for each person that wants to access it.

Welcome to the nightmare that is not having active directory. Something my old boss relied heavily on and was the source of so many headaches. Each time the user changes their password, it must be changed on the destination PC as well.

I'm assuming you don't have active directory, though, please tell me you do.

bowen on
    edited March 2009
    27244938.jpg

*massages temples*

They're on the same (Wireless) network. They're in the same workgroup. They both have the proper printer drivers.

Why the fuck doesn't this work?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited March 2009
    Both computers don't have the same usernames/passwords is my guess.

PC1:
    Bob1

PC2:
    Julie2
    Bob1

that allows PC1's bob1 user to access printer on PC2 that julie2 uses.

bowen on
    edited March 2009
    Both computers don't have the same usernames/passwords is my guess.

PC1:
    Bob1

PC2:
    Julie2
    Bob1

that allows PC1's bob1 user to access printer on PC2 that julie2 uses.

So I have to change the username & password on both?

Ugh, lame.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited March 2009
    Okay well that didn't work. Both computers share the same account name and password and I get the same error message.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited March 2009
    Well. Let me think about it.

bowen on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Don't you still have to add the shared printer to the computer that it is not hooked up to? Go to the control panel, Printer and Faxes, add a printer, choose Network printer... then type in computer name/printer share name.

chamberlain on
    edited March 2009
    That's what I assumed he was doing. Right click -> Connect.

bowen on
    edited March 2009
    Going to the computer with the run line shows all the printers that the machine has shared out, but does it actually let you connect to them there? I have always added them manually from the control panel.

He should check the permissions on the shared printer from the machine doing the sharing as well. I think it defaults to everyone-print but I am not sure.

chamberlain on
    edited March 2009
    Going to the computer with the run line shows all the printers that the machine has shared out, but does it actually let you connect to them there? I have always added them manually from the control panel.

He should check the permissions on the shared printer from the machine doing the sharing as well. I think it defaults to everyone-print but I am not sure.

That's the thing. If I add a printer and then click "browse for printers" after selecting network printers, it only shows the printers connected to my computer and one lone computer on the other side of the building.

If I type in the IP address of the computer the printer is connected to, it shows it, but when I right-click, connect, I get the error message I posted above.

Edit: If I type the IP/sharename manually into the add printer dialog, I get the same error.

This all was fine for months on end, so I can't help but wonder if a recent Windows update fucked it all up.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited March 2009
    Did you check the share permissions on the printer? That's the only other thing I can think of.

chamberlain on
    edited March 2009
    Did you check the share permissions on the printer? That's the only other thing I can think of.

Where would I find this?

In a few months I'm gonna try to rebuild the entire network. For some reason we have both a wireless router, and a 16-port 10/100 router set up as well. Some computers are wireless only, some are wired only--it's a huge clusterfuck.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited March 2009
    I fucking hate you Windows.

I hope you die.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited March 2009

Where would I find this?

In a few months I'm gonna try to rebuild the entire network. For some reason we have both a wireless router, and a 16-port 10/100 router set up as well. Some computers are wireless only, some are wired only--it's a huge clusterfuck.

Right click on the shared printer (on the computer doing the sharing) and check the sercuity tab. There should be 'Everyone' listed. If not, add it and try again.

Depending on how many users you have, I would recommend moving from a workgroup to a domain when you start over. Yes, server can be expensive, but having active directory makes things like this much easier.

chamberlain on
    edited March 2009

Where would I find this?

Right click on the shared printer (on the computer doing the sharing) and check the sercuity tab. There should be 'Everyone' listed. If not, add it and try again.

Depending on how many users you have, I would recommend moving from a workgroup to a domain when you start over. Yes, server can be expensive, but having active directory makes things like this much easier.

Not only do I have no idea what active directory is, but this is a small business. I'm talking 5 computers total, with only 3 doing any actual work. A server isn't worth the money.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited March 2009
    The amount of time you spent on fucking with this could be put into the cost of Windows 2003/2008 SBS. It's worth it.

Anecdote: I used to work for a small tech company. One company is doing it the way you're doing it, another company put down $200 and bought SBS, and we taught them how to use active directory once we set it up. We never had to go back to the SBS one but we were always at the company doing workgroup-ed computers. You might even want to invest in a printer server that you can just plug this into.

bowen on
    edited March 2009

Where would I find this?

I don't see a security tab.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited March 2009
    Every solution I'm finding on Google ends up with "Oho, I disabled my firewall and it worked." but unfortunately this is not the issue as the firewall is disabled on both computers.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited March 2009
    The amount of time you spent on fucking with this could be put into the cost of Windows 2003/2008 SBS. It's worth it.

Anecdote: I used to work for a small tech company. One company is doing it the way you're doing it, another company put down $200 and bought SBS, and we taught them how to use active directory once we set it up. We never had to go back to the SBS one but we were always at the company doing workgroup-ed computers. You might even want to invest in a printer server that you can just plug this into.

Most of my experience is with full blown server 2003, not SBS, but either way, you sent stuff up once and it doesn't brake. Assuming it was done right in the first place. :)

chamberlain on
    edited March 2009
    SBS is pretty much the same thing as full blown server. I can't remember what the largest difference was, but it wasn't substantial enough to affect anything.

bowen on
  • mazochungomazochungo Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    I have been having the exact same problem on several computers and networks... I didn't find the reason why this occurs, but I have just discovered that I can access and install the printer if I use the network name of the computer where it is attached, instead of its IP.

For example:

use
    \\Computer1\Printer

instead of
    \\192.168.1.2\Printer

where Computer1 is the computer's name in the network and Printer is the printer's.

Quite ridiculous...

mazochungo on
    edited November 2009
    The problem is, of course, that names only work within the same subnet... If both computers do not belong to the same subnet, my solution will not work...

mazochungo on
    edited November 2009
    OK, I found the solution:

On the client PC, add a new printer manually (Control Panel -> Printers) and choose LPT1 as its port. When your are asked about the model, choose the right one (or click on Have disk... and browse to wherever you have the driver). Once installed as a local printer, right-click on the printer and choose Properties. Click on the "Ports" tab and then on "Add port...". In the list, choose "Local port" and then click on "New port...". Finally, type in the path to your network printer:

\\server_IP_address\printer_name

It should work, even if both PCs are on separate subnets. Of course, check that Windows firewall is properly set up (the scope of the "File and printers sharing" exception should be Anyone, not Subnet) and that your network router or firewall is allowing traffic on ports TCP 145 and 138, and UDP 137 and 139.

mazochungo on