As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Educate me about hip flasks

AsherAsher Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, thanks to the collectors edition of Empire: Total War, I am now in possession of a hip flask. The problem is that I know nothing about hip flasks apart from that one generally puts liquor in them. To this end I have a few questions. General comments are also appreciated.

How do you look after a hip flask? The idea of drinking out of a corroded piece of metal isn't terrible appetizing.

Is corrosion or metal poisoning actually any risk? The idea of putting alcohol into a metal vessel doesn't seem like a particularly safe idea to me, but people have been doing it for hundreds of years so it can't be all bad. Then again, water pipes used to be made of lead/

How long can you store alcohol in it for? Is there a general safe time limit?

What drinks are typically best for carrying in a hip flask? Whisky and Brandy seem to spring to mind.

It's stainless steel and is a 3 OZ flask if that helps.
hipflask.jpg

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
Asher on

• DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm sorry to say this dude, and I'm not trying to sound like an asshole, but drinking from a hip flask based on a video game seems kind of...weird to me. If you want a hip flask that you can actually use you can get one at any engraver or many jewelry stores - they'll put your initials or whatever on it for you, usually, and you can get one for under fifty bucks.

It's a cool collector's item, I'll give you that, but I wouldn't actually use it.

Also you'll probably want more than 3 oz of liquor anyway.

Duffel on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    3 oz is way too small. That's about 2 swigs and it's done. And why? Are you going to have the need to carry distilled alcohol on your person at all times? The only time I've ever thought that a flask would be useful is when we were hiking and didn't want to get caught with a container. Oh yeah, and a flask can be considered an open container in some jurisdictions.

If you are going to use it, get a bigger one. And you don't keep the alcohol in it for more than a day. Do not let the alcohol sit in it overnight or longer. Either drain it or pour it out and let it dry overnight.

Kakodaimonos on
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well I didn't get it because I wanted a hip flask. It came with the game as a bonus and I thought that seeing as I had it I might as well see if I could put it to its alleged purpose. So your advice (from both of you), is to not actually use it and rather just leave it as a cool little extra? Thats fine. I was also going to ask what the point of a hip flask is anyway, considering if you're going to a party you'll have booze in other containers and anywhere else it makes you look like an alcoholic.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    man every thing these guys above me are saying is ridiculous. I have used hip flasks for years.

First off You can keep alcohol in it as long as you need to. It's stainless steal. And its closed. Its not going to suddenly corrode and turn into rust. What do you think aircraft drop tanks are made out of (hint its steal) Now depending on what you put in there it might go bad if you leave it out in the sun or something but I have kept whiskey in my flasks for over a month and it is still good.

when you do empty it you will want to clean it. Hot soap and water and a bunch of pipe cleaners can do a good job. Lets not forget you are storing 100 proof booze in this thing. Any bacteria is going to find that a pretty rough place to survive. Just be sure to rinse it thoroughly

I also keep the flask under the drivers seat of my car. This may violate open container laws in some areas. But it has never been an issue. (i dont drink and drive and I can count on no hand the number of times my car has been searched. ymmv)

The best time to use the flask is when you are going out and don't feel like spending a lot of money. Load it up with whiskey or rum and just order cokes then add your own booze and blamo you can drink rum and coke all night and only pay 3 bucks.

So that flask is pretty cool learn to enjoy it.

One last thing they work best if you carry them in a jacket breast pocket. If you keep it in a back pocket like a wallet they get to warm from your ass heat and they are uncomfortable to sit on.

Also the TSA won't let you take a full one on a plane (ass holes)

Limp moose on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    hmm... I wasn't aware hip flasks had any place outside of a high school dance.

imagine my surprise.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited March 2009
    They also work great in movies.

Buy a small coke drink half of it then add the flask.

The last 45 minutes of that chick flick are going to be WAY better than the first.

Bonus points if your date doesnt see you add the booze.

Limp moose on
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    I'm sorry to say this dude, and I'm not trying to sound like an asshole, but drinking from a hip flask based on a video game seems kind of...weird to me. If you want a hip flask that you can actually use you can get one at any engraver or many jewelry stores - they'll put your initials or whatever on it for you, usually, and you can get one for under fifty bucks.

It's a cool collector's item, I'll give you that, but I wouldn't actually use it.

Also you'll probably want more than 3 oz of liquor anyway.

Why would he go buy a hip flask when he has one already, that he got for free?

I don't know about the quality of your hip flask, but if its stainless steel it should be able to handle whatever alcohol you put in it for a long long time.

JohnDoe on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A constant urge to drink?

Cant live the house without knowing where you next drink is?

My best advice for you is found here.

Casually Hardcore on
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Additionally, I can't remember if it was the Empires SE Flask or possibly one from another game, but there was a sticker on the back that says the flask is for collecting only, not intended to be used.

Ruckus on
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cripes fellas. He's asking for advice on how to properly use and maintain something he finds interesting and we're pointing him to AA? Really now.

There's nothing wrong with flasks. I gave my groomsmen flasks for my wedding last year and we use them all the time just around their apartment playing video games.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Asher wrote: »
    Well I didn't get it because I wanted a hip flask. It came with the game as a bonus and I thought that seeing as I had it I might as well see if I could put it to its alleged purpose. So your advice (from both of you), is to not actually use it and rather just leave it as a cool little extra? Thats fine. I was also going to ask what the point of a hip flask is anyway, considering if you're going to a party you'll have booze in other containers and anywhere else it makes you look like an alcoholic.

Hipflasks are something of a historical artefact with limited practical use in modern society compared to when they were invented. That said, there are situations where they can be useful. I've personally used them on Hogmanay when we are celebrating outdoors and a bottle of whisky would be impractically cumbersome and even to transport a small amount of single malt to my parents over Christmas where a full bottle would have just been more than necessary. Mostly, if I had an Empire: TW hip flask, I'd use it as a prop whilst playing the game to better get into the role of a military general of the era. A live prop mind you, might as well drink while you're conquering the Americas, eh?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Additionally, I can't remember if it was the Empires SE Flask or possibly one from another game, but there was a sticker on the back that says the flask is for collecting only, not intended to be used.

This is important and you should definitely make sure to check your flask for anything like this.

LaOs on
    edited March 2009
    Also with the smaller flasks They can be a huge pain in the ass to fill. You may find one of these worthwhile.

http://www.panik-design.com/acatalog/b-pop-up-blomus-68712.jpg

its a little funnel designed just for flasks they sell them at pottery barn. I have one and it is much easier. You don't want to be spilling your single malt all over the place.

Limp moose on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Limp moose wrote: »
    man every thing these guys above me are saying is ridiculous. I have used hip flasks for years.

First off You can keep alcohol in it as long as you need to. It's stainless steal. And its closed. Its not going to suddenly corrode and turn into rust. What do you think aircraft drop tanks are made out of (hint its steal) Now depending on what you put in there it might go bad if you leave it out in the sun or something but I have kept whiskey in my flasks for over a month and it is still good.

when you do empty it you will want to clean it. Hot soap and water and a bunch of pipe cleaners can do a good job. Lets not forget you are storing 100 proof booze in this thing. Any bacteria is going to find that a pretty rough place to survive. Just be sure to rinse it thoroughly

I also keep the flask under the drivers seat of my car. This may violate open container laws in some areas. But it has never been an issue. (i dont drink and drive and I can count on no hand the number of times my car has been searched. ymmv)

The best time to use the flask is when you are going out and don't feel like spending a lot of money. Load it up with whiskey or rum and just order cokes then add your own booze and blamo you can drink rum and coke all night and only pay 3 bucks.

So that flask is pretty cool learn to enjoy it.

One last thing they work best if you carry them in a jacket breast pocket. If you keep it in a back pocket like a wallet they get to warm from your ass heat and they are uncomfortable to sit on.

Also the TSA won't let you take a full one on a plane (ass holes)
    I didn't say he shouldn't carry a hip flask. I said he shouldn't carry this hip flask.

Duffel on