As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flying to PAX

• ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I flew out of a small hub in Arkansas. It was cheap for a reason. We went from XNA (bentonville) to Atlanta to Seattle. The flight from Atlanta was nice and the plane was great! But the one from and to XNA suuuucked. Gonna go the extra mile and leave from Tulsa this year.

Believe it or not, but Priceline got me the best price. Thank you, Bill Shatner.

Just how sucky was the XNA flight? Because if I go to PAX, in all likelihood I'll be taking XNA to somewhere and then to Seattle, unless it's super horrible.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Randomfool wrote: »
    Last year I came in on Alaskan Airlines from burbank. They were ok, not really anything special.

Usually, I fly Southwest or United. Southwest is no frills but I have enough junk to entertain me. I'm a premier member of United which makes them pretty good since I get upgrades and what not. I don't know if either of them go to Seattle.

I'll probably won't schedule my flight until August since I have no idea where I'll be flying in from yet.

I was going to fly out of Burbank last year until I found that it would be anywhere between $10 and $50 cheaper flying out of LAX. Van Nuys Flyaway makes getting to LAX much easier.

I'm lucky enough to have my company pay for my flights. So the convenience of BUR - flight times, location and whatnot - won out over the price of LAX.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • meloncolliemeloncollie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Flew Virgin America last year, flew Alaska Airlines the year prior. First time was from SJC, second time from SFO. It was relatively cheap on Virgin--87.50/way, after taxes and fees. I can't remember how much it was on Alaska because we booked a package on Expedia with it.

Right now, though, we're gonna be leaving from LAX to SEA this year. We're waiting for a VA sale ... though I won't lie--the anticipation is a killer :P (Apparently, we booked our flight to SEA last year in February and were still able to get a good price! hmm.)

And don't even mention the Ding! deals on Southwest. Definitely won't find any for Seattle for travel in September anytime soon. :( (Though 'tis my belief that from the LA region, it's only from BUR to SEA as a direct flight, not LAX?)

meloncollie on
    10th PAXiversary! PAX Prime 2007-2017. PAX BYOC 2009-2017.
    @meloncollie | steam hiokaybye
  • Pat McRotchPat McRotch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Argus wrote: »
    I flew out of a small hub in Arkansas. It was cheap for a reason. We went from XNA (bentonville) to Atlanta to Seattle. The flight from Atlanta was nice and the plane was great! But the one from and to XNA suuuucked. Gonna go the extra mile and leave from Tulsa this year.

Believe it or not, but Priceline got me the best price. Thank you, Bill Shatner.

Just how sucky was the XNA flight? Because if I go to PAX, in all likelihood I'll be taking XNA to somewhere and then to Seattle, unless it's super horrible.

The airport it'self is very nice, but the planes that fly in and out of there are pretty small. One isle 2 rows of 2. Not that comfortable and pretty loud. You are not gonna be taking one all the way to Seattle though... maybe.

Pat McRotch on
    xPat+McR0tch.png
    patmcrotch.png
  • Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Flew Virgin America last year, flew Alaska Airlines the year prior. First time was from SJC, second time from SFO. It was relatively cheap on Virgin--87.50/way, after taxes and fees. I can't remember how much it was on Alaska because we booked a package on Expedia with it.

Right now, though, we're gonna be leaving from LAX to SEA this year. We're waiting for a VA sale ... though I won't lie--the anticipation is a killer :P (Apparently, we booked our flight to SEA last year in February and were still able to get a good price! hmm.)

And don't even mention the Ding! deals on Southwest. Definitely won't find any for Seattle for travel in September anytime soon. :( (Though 'tis my belief that from the LA region, it's only from BUR to SEA as a direct flight, not LAX?)

I waited until June to book with VA because that's when they had a sale.

And yeah, I don't think Southwest does any direct flights from LAX to SEA either.

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • iamconfidenceiamconfidence Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, I just bought my 3 day pass... So this thread is now of great importance to me.

I flew Delta last year and through a lame set of circumstances, found out that they don't allow refunds of tickets for ANY REASON and will (AT BEST) give you a delta credit for some portion of what the ticket cost...

So beware!

BTW: LOL @ PAX winter solstice!

iamconfidence on
    --
    ETA.Confidence
    EscapeTheAsylum.com
  • ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

The airport it'self is very nice, but the planes that fly in and out of there are pretty small. One isle 2 rows of 2. Not that comfortable and pretty loud. You are not gonna be taking one all the way to Seattle though... maybe.

Nah, I looked up some flights on Orbitz, and most of them go from XNA down to Dallas, and then over to Seattle, and the same way back, except for one where I would fly to New Jersey and then to XNA, which was actually close to the amount of travel time of going the other way, o_O.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • meloncolliemeloncollie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I flew Delta last year and through a lame set of circumstances, found out that they don't allow refunds of tickets for ANY REASON and will (AT BEST) give you a delta credit for some portion of what the ticket cost...

So beware!

Mmm, I don't know if that's necessarily uncommon because I've only ever flown budget airlines, but that's nothing out of the norm. Credit is better than nothing at all, and definitely better than being charged for changing your mind. Southwest will only give you credit unless you buy their higher-level tickets which allow for cash refund (I only ever buy the Wanna Get Away or Ding! rates haha)

Now, Virgin America on the other hand ...they will charge you a hefty fee for any changes you make to your itinerary, including cancellation (75 or so, if I remember correctly), so do NOT book your flight until you know for sure that you can make the flights.

meloncollie on
    10th PAXiversary! PAX Prime 2007-2017. PAX BYOC 2009-2017.
    @meloncollie | steam hiokaybye
  • BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    X3R0 9 wrote: »
    I went through Obitz.com last year and got airfare from Charleston, SC to SEA for only $450 roundtrip. I had purchased my flight back in March, which I'll be doing the same this year. As far as how my flights went, not too bad besides rushing to get my connecting flight in ATL. Arrived at one side, and then had to run/tram it to the other side.

The MNC went in two groups from Savannah last year: group 1 on Wednesday stopping in Charlotte and group 2 on Thursday stopping in Atlanta. Both groups returned together through Charlotte. Stopping in Charlotte was pretty simple--easy enough, at least, for my husband who'd never flown before and doesn't do crowds well to handle it. I'd recommend going that way this year if you can; not sure how we're doing it yet though, since MNC Dover does the flight booking to make sure we all have as few rides from the airport as possible.

BrennaCeDria on
  • Pat McRotchPat McRotch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Nah, I looked up some flights on Orbitz, and most of them go from XNA down to Dallas, and then over to Seattle, and the same way back, except for one where I would fly to New Jersey and then to XNA, which was actually close to the amount of travel time of going the other way, o_O.

XNA to Dallas would not be bad. Only thing that sucked was that from Denver to XNA we got stuck on the tarmac for an hour. Sitting in that little plane, full to capacity with frustrated people, one flight attendant and poor airflow kinds sucked. I got over it.

Pat McRotch on
    xPat+McR0tch.png
    patmcrotch.png
  • CactarCrushCactarCrush Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    While I haven't been to PAX, I would highly recommend to anyone flying out of New York to use JetBlue. $219 roundtrip is the best I've seen online (even trusty Kayak.com couldn't beat that!). Also JetBlue is pretty sweet to fly, even for cheap-asses like me who don't bother to purchase any of the movies/food/etc. They have two non-stop flight choices from JFK to SEA, so no precious time spent waiting for connections.

CactarCrush on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    While I haven't been to PAX, I would highly recommend to anyone flying out of New York to use JetBlue. $219 roundtrip is the best I've seen online (even trusty Kayak.com couldn't beat that!). Also JetBlue is pretty sweet to fly, even for cheap-asses like me who don't bother to purchase any of the movies/food/etc. They have two non-stop flight choices from JFK to SEA, so no precious time spent waiting for connections.

It should also be mentioned that they offer refunds if you get laid off from your job before PAX.

redhalo on
  • Queen BrewerQueen Brewer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I don't know how prevalent this is, but last year I took this to and from JFK and it was extremely late both directions. I think I was delayed 3 hours from SEA-JFK and delayed 2 hours JFK-SEA. Something to consider.

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> once i had next door neighbors
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
    <Moe_Fwacky> robbed drugstores together
  • CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Last year I flew in from Milwaukee on the Tuesday using AirTran, who I heartily recommend, I'm going to use them again for any internal flights. INternationally I went Singapore Airlines via Singapore and HK to SFO, went around the US and came back to SFO on US Airways (crap). If AirTran are still running and do more than the Northwest, go for them. Loved the service they gave and a business class upgrade was dirt cheap.

CuZZa on
  • toitletoitle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hey, everyone! i'm new to this whole message board thing, so i'm sorry in advance for anything i do wrong...

anyway, last year, i flew out of philadelphia to seattle. we arrived friday afternoon and got back sunday night/monday morning. the price for two plane tickets was $920.98 round trip, so it was 460 each. i used cheaptickets.com, so there were multiple airlines and multiple stops. however, the one good thing was that we opted to give up our seats on the way there, so delta gave us each $400 vouchers, which i plan to use this year for the trip back out there - i just found round trip tickets for as cheap as $280 each, which is crazy. from the airport, we took a taxi, which was something like 25-30 dollars, and we stayed at the red lion hotel, which is right around the corner from the convention center. it's cheap, beautiful, and has free wi-fi.

here is my question - is there a way to get to downtown seattle from the airport without taking a taxi (ie, via public transportation)? i went to this website:

http://www.soundtransit.org/

but i've had a long day, and my brain isn't working. anyone have any advice?

also, i heard last year there was a pub crawl on thursday night. i plan on being a part of that this year! is there a separate thread for that?

-toitle

toitle on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There's Grey Line Downtown that comes and goes every 45 minutes or so. It's $17 roundtrip.

Grey Line Seattle Downtown

This link is the Sea-Tac Parking and Transportation info.

Sea-Tac Airport: Parking and Transportation

Adding in: From the looks of things, Grey Line would be the best bet for poor college students like a good amount of us--unless you desire to rent a vehicle.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Queen BrewerQueen Brewer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What is going to be awesome, is the light rail from the airport into the bus tunnel under Seattle! The link from Tukwila to Seattle is opening this July and will take an estimated 31 minutes to get to the Westlake station, which is like 3-4 blocks from the convention center, I'm not sure if it'll also go to the Convention Center station which is only a block away. There is going to be a 7 minute shuttle from Sea-Tac to the Tukwila station when it opens in July. The Tukwila-Seattle Sounder Commuter train is currently $3.25, so I'd probably expect somewhere in the $5-10 range for the whole trip.

This is super economical and an amazing new option just in time for PAX!

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> once i had next door neighbors
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
    <Moe_Fwacky> robbed drugstores together
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I uses to fly to PAX(for the first two year). But I really don't like flying, nor due my friends like flying with me.

Highfire on
  • toitletoitle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    thank you SO MUCH, CaptainTapole & Queen Brewer!! those are definitely far more economical than the taxi option :P we still haven't finalized our plane tickets yet, but we're aiming to come in some time thursday afternoon and leave monday afternoon.

i'm really excited!!

toitle on
  • OctobotOctobot Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    there is an even cheaper option! last year i ended up taking a public transit bus from the airport, it cost $2 and takes you right downtown http://www.portseattle.org/seatac/ground/publictransit.shtml was super easy (come very frequently) and dropped us off a short walk to our hotel (stayed at the W last year)

Octobot on
  • sum10fishysum10fishy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Octobot wrote: »
    there is an even cheaper option! last year i ended up taking a public transit bus from the airport, it cost $2 and takes you right downtown http://www.portseattle.org/seatac/ground/publictransit.shtml was super easy (come very frequently) and dropped us off a short walk to our hotel (stayed at the W last year)

I believe if you get three or four people together a limo is cheaper than a cab and they will drop you off at your hotel. It's usually not to hard to find people in the airport that are obviously there for PAX. The limos are right there with the cabs in the parking deck.

sum10fishy on
  • AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanks Queen Brewer! Light rail seems like the best way to go for my little posse. Hope it's completed on time! Phoenix's light rail just got going after years of delays...

AltDelete on
  • dskaitlyndskaitlyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm lucky enough to have flown with SouthWest to visit my boyfriend in DC enough times to have earned one of their round trip reward flights. Which means I don't have to pay for my flight to PAX09. Making this, my first PAX, far less stressful.

dskaitlyn on
    "You know, you're a classic example of the inverse ratio between the size of the mouth and the size of the brain."
  • Trisha LynnTrisha Lynn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Also just purchased my 3-day tix and am coming from NYC, so this thread is very relevant to me.

I'm sorta picky about how I fly and would only fly something that wasn't JetBlue or Continental if the price difference was significant, like about $50 or so and there wasn't a ridiculous amount of layovers.

Plus, JetBlue has that nifty new terminal and JFK and I'm dying to get a chance to use it.

Least expensive on JetBlue with noon departure on Thursday, 9 am return on Tuesday is $399.20, including tax.

Least expensive on Continental out of Newark with 2 pm departure on Thursday, 11 am return on Tuesday is $319.20.

So those are my benchmarks.

Trisha Lynn
    ...I may have to unbend a little...!

Trisha Lynn on
    -- Editor/Publisher, GeekingOutAbout.com
    -- Publisher, Saucy Goose Press
    -- On Twitter @trishalynn
  • seraphexseraphex Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have a few Round Trip Southwest Air vouchers if people are in need. I'd be happy to part with them at a serious discount. Let me know if you're interested.

If this post is against the rules then please remove it.

seraphex on
    If I had talent, I wouldn't need all this money.
    Twitter - @papapwnsPAX
  • Alex_Digital_CowboyAlex_Digital_Cowboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Me and my guys are flying out of Heathrow with British Airways. Thursday the 3rd at 15.15

Just out of interest, who else is taking that flight? I'm bringing my DS and I'll take anyone on at Mario Kart.

Alex_Digital_Cowboy on
  • EbfanEbfan Wimmy Wam Wam Wozzle! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just bought my plane tickets today. Flying out of Boston on the 3rd and getting into Seattle at 4:45 round trip. I got my tickets from priceline, $366 round trip including tax and fees. Not too bad I guess. With this, my PAX trip is now all set. All I need to do now is wait for six months to pass.

Ebfan on
  • Frightfully EnglishFrightfully English Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Best prices I've found for a three-legged multi-city flight, London-Indianapolis-Seattle-London (visiting friends before I hit PAX) have been on Expedia.co.uk and Opodo.com at approx. £530. Anyone know anywhere cheaper I can look?

Frightfully English on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Also just purchased my 3-day tix and am coming from NYC, so this thread is very relevant to me.

I'm sorta picky about how I fly and would only fly something that wasn't JetBlue or Continental if the price difference was significant, like about $50 or so and there wasn't a ridiculous amount of layovers.

Plus, JetBlue has that nifty new terminal and JFK and I'm dying to get a chance to use it.

Least expensive on JetBlue with noon departure on Thursday, 9 am return on Tuesday is $399.20, including tax.

Least expensive on Continental out of Newark with 2 pm departure on Thursday, 11 am return on Tuesday is $319.20.

So those are my benchmarks.

Trisha Lynn
    ...I may have to unbend a little...!

I will probably be leaving Newark (Continental) 8:00 AM on Thursday to arrive in time for all of the festivities. My crew is planning on coming back on Monday but it looks like the round trip for Tuesday is also $298. Non-stop for the win!

Waiting on official hotel information though...

PeasantDave on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    I saw on HLN today that there's apparently a price war going on between the airlines.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just found out that I could get round-trip tickets from LAX to Seattle for $150.

This is cheaper than taking the train trip.

Plutonium on
  • Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Plutonium wrote: »
    I just found out that I could get round-trip tickets from LAX to Seattle for $150.

This is cheaper than taking the train trip.

Which airline? The cheapest I found was $189 including taxes ($79 each way) through Virgin America. Unless your deal is through a friend that works for an airline, I'd likely be going with the VA flight.

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • d20dicerollerd20diceroller Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'll weigh in with information for the southern travelers here in a few days. I'll be getting my tickets later this week.

d20diceroller on
  • MisterPlisskenMisterPlissken Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I fly out of my hometown in Montana and the fare's around $360 right now on Alaska Airlines's soda can of a plane. Last year things went pretty smoothly to and from Seattle. The ride there was a breeze with just a carry on bag (if you do choose an airline, remember to check the max dimensions for carry on bags!). I took the GrayLine airporter to downtown. 9 dollars each way is a pretty sweet deal and it takes about an hour to get to the Sheraton. And on the flight back there was an awesome sunset; then they gave me a free beer!
    Would fly again! A++++!

MisterPlissken on
  • NikolisNikolis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I saw on HLN today that there's apparently a price war going on between the airlines.

Yeah, it was odd. About two weeks ago I saw flights from Indianapolis to Seattle for 270 each round trip. I was waiting for hotels to become available before booking. Time passed and I figured I'd book it now before prices got higher and saw that it was about 500 per person round trip. So I waited some more and today snagged round trip tickets for 230 each. Blamo. I consider it a victory as the past two years I paid about 400 each round trip.

Nikolis on
    Nklus.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, gas prices are low too. This year we stand to do the CCST at the lowest cost ever.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I fly out of my hometown in Montana and the fare's around $360 right now on Alaska Airlines's soda can of a plane. Last year things went pretty smoothly to and from Seattle. The ride there was a breeze with just a carry on bag (if you do choose an airline, remember to check the max dimensions for carry on bags!). I took the GrayLine airporter to downtown. 9 dollars each way is a pretty sweet deal and it takes about an hour to get to the Sheraton. And on the flight back there was an awesome sunset; then they gave me a free beer!
    Would fly again! A++++!

Ya know, the bus downtown from the airport wasn't bad either, just make sure you get off at the right spot.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Qs23 wrote: »
    Would fly again! A++++!

Ya know, the bus downtown from the airport wasn't bad either, just make sure you get off at the right spot.

The drivers usually call out the hotel names and most of the time the hotels close to it that they do not drop/pick up in front of.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • FallenEverdarkFallenEverdark Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Southwest has had cheap fares to Seattle, I used them for Child's Play, and my husband has tickets to fly out there again in May. They often have sales for specific destinations, whether flying to or from them. They had a seattle sale a while back (which is when my husband bought those tickets) but they might have a sale for a city you live in or near, and you can use that sale for PAX flights as well, just keep your eyes open on their site. Looks like right now is Southern California.

Also, I have nothing but good things to say about Southwest. They didn't lose or damage my luggage, unlike United (twice), and they let you pick your seat when you board, all their terminals where you board have chairs with power AND powered usb ports to power your electronics, and the flight attendants were super nice and gave great snacks. :3

FallenEverdark on
    99385a13f2cb9_48x48.gif
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Right now WestJet and AirCanada keep having "sales" but they are staying the same price for Vancouver at around $215 each way. I'm sure I can do better than that.

God, right now with WestJet it'd cost over 3x as much to fly to Vancouver than it would to Cancun.

Asiina on
This discussion has been closed.