As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E Recruiting] This thread is done, please lock it.

• Options
    ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    There is a distinct possibilty that I could run two different games in this setting. Because there aren't that many more games popping up, and I have a pretty large amount of free time as well as different ways this setting could play out. I'll keep you all posted. But the response to this has been ridiculous in all the right ways

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Tuesday rolls around and Themindtaker ends up picking 6 PCs, all of whom turn out to be Dortmunder's. :P

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No - I'm going to stop here. The desire to play spawned a massive burst of creativity, but I recognize that it's not fair to the others who also want to play.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, this took me a little longer than I thought.

Alaen Haldmire

shifterbybeanclam.jpg

Outcast. Murderer. Such were the labels placed upon him by his people. They cared little for the reasons, or for the justification. He was exiled at a young age, for what he saw as no real crime. Alaen remembered the shame that he had felt at the time. The scorn placed upon him by those he had believed to be his friends. Even his family had turned against him, adding their voices to those who called for his explusion from the village. Violence was not the way of his village, indeed his people abhorred such things, but what choice did he have? The man had tried to break into his home, to steal from him. He was still young, and the beastial insticts within him had not yet been tempered with the wisdom he would accumulate in later years. He had begged them to listen, to try to understand, but his pleas had fallen upon deaf ears and he was cast aside.

The years since then had not always been kind to Alaen. He began to spend more and more times in the wild, unable to find a home. The animalistic side of him rose up, and while he longed for contact with one of his own people, he could not face them seeing what he had become. Upon occassion he would visit the nearby town of River's Watch to sate the desire for a firm roof over his head and the company of others and to try and regain some portion of his human side, but he feared that . Innocence, it seemed, could never be regained. It was on once such trip into the town that he found his new vocation, as a hunter of men. He had gone to the tavern to sell the meat he had hunted in order to procure a room for the night when he had seen the bounty notice for a thief and murderer. The reward was not great, but it far outstripped what he earnt from hunting beasts.

In more recent times, he had taken on a bounty for a murder. Upon catching the wanted man, he heard for the first time the other side's version of events. It was like looking into a mirror in many respects. The man's name was Konrad, and he had accidentally killed a man who had attempted to steal from Konrad and his family. The bounty had been claimed, but he could not shake off the feeling that it could have been him who was taken in for a puch of gold. Since then Alaen had been looking back over his previous actions. The guilt he felt over the human's murder would eat away at him in his solitude. Was his village right to label him as a murderer? He could have perhaps dealt with the situation differently. How many people had he brought to justice for doing exactly what he had done?

Repentance was something to strive for now, rather than attempting to justify his misguided action. Perhaps things could change. Perhaps there was an alternate path for the future.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, making my character when I noticed a fatal flaw. Highly melee oriented, yet an AC of 14. :( Need to fix... somehow.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Arkan wrote: »

Darrak Cobalttoe, Dwarven Star Pact Warlock

Too deep.

Something stared back.

YES

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Dortmunder wrote: »
    YES

Heh, thanks. I actually wasn't going to post more than one character, but the more I looked at my first one the less I liked it (I started with the idea of "LG paladin who comes across as really sinister and evil"), but in the process of shoehorning it into working within game mechanics ("Hmmm... he should have low CHA, but then he'd be a shitty paladin...") it lost something and stopped being funny.

Arkan on
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Here's my submission:

Tariq Wahdi, Human Ranger

A_Bedouin_Arab_137.jpg

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    With just over 24 hours until submissions are closed:

First of all, huge thanks to everyone who's signed up.

Second, I am going to go ahead and run two games. No worries, I have more than enough time.

They will take place in the same setting, and you may even hear tell of the other group's exploits as the many heroes of River's Watch kick ass and take names, but they will not have distinct overlap (ie, you may interact with many of the same NPCs, but the tasks on which you are sent will differ).

The reason I decided to run 2 games? I saw on DVG's recruiting thread that some people were avoiding this one because of the stiff competition, so I did another quick census:

Players (not characters, players): 17
    Defenders: 6
    Strikers: 8
    Controllers: 7
    Leaders: 5

We could fill 3 oversized games (Alternatively, we could throw Dortmunder in a room by himself and have a pretty damn entertaining game to watch), and that's not including those who are avoiding the competition here to opt for the other currently-recruiting game.

To make things easier on everyone, please refrain from posting these characters on DVG's game until after these groups are assembled. King of the Trollhaunt Warren's sign-up is open until the end of the week, so you've got plenty of time, and this way that thread doesn't get more inundated with entries than it has to be.

On that note, if you don't get picked, I highly recommend checking out DVG's Paragon-tier game, and otherwise just keep checking back on the forum because Dajian mentioned a game he's gonna start up in a few weeks too.

Oh, and a few additional details because I've had a couple of questions.

As far as preference for those who aren't currently in a game versus those who are is concerned:
    I am using this as more of a tiebreaker than anything else. If your character doesnt really fit, or if it would make a somewhat oddly-balanced team (3 defenders or something like that) it won't really help, but if there are two good strikers and one spot left, I'll try to defer to the one without any games going, if possible. (of course, if it's between a guy in 2 games and one in 3, I guess I'll roll a d2 [ie, flip a coin])

I haven't decided if we're going 5- or 6-man yet.

Damn, that was a lot. I'll throw some of this up on the OP as well.
    Thanks again everyone!

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I guess I'll roll a d2

Has anyone actually seen a "D2"? It would be hilarious to see some enterprising dice manufacturer create a plastic "coin" with 1 and 2 on it and call it a D2.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I guess I'll roll a d2

Has anyone actually seen a "D2"? It would be hilarious to see some enterprising dice manufacturer create a plastic "coin" with 1 and 2 on it and call it a D2.

They do make some that are D6s with 3 sides labeled as 1s and 3 sides labeled as 2s.

I think I've seen a poker chip as well, but I might be imagining it.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    DVG wrote: »
    I guess I'll roll a d2

They do make some that are D6s with 3 sides labeled as 1s and 3 sides labeled as 2s.

I think I've seen a poker chip as well, but I might be imagining it.

When it's a choice of A or B I usually just see people roll a d20. 1-10 is option A, 11-20 is option B.

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    lots of words

I think that your post here goes a long way, thank you for taking the time to do that. And also for volunteering to run a PbP game (two!) in the first place, heh.

Rius on
  • Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ok, so i've scrapped the ranger, and am going with a rogue now.
    Siali, Half Elf Rogue

here is the character background:
    Eliza Calther fell in love at a young age. She met the son of a farming family, Quinn Huxley, heir to the Huxley Farms, at 16, married him at 17, and concieved a daughter that same year. Together, the family worked hard, bringing prosperity to the farm, as well as the surrounding town.

6 years after the birth of her daughter, assassins calling themselved "The Red Hand of Zehir" attacked the town. They stole, they pillaged, they set fires. They lay waste to the town and the surrounding farms, including the Huxley Farms. Quinn stood fast to protect his family, but he was no match for their blades. Eliza watched her husband get murdered in cold blood, and that was only the start of her troubles. They pillaged the farm, taking everything of value, while Eliza and her daughter begged for mercy. One of the leaders of the raid took Eliza's daughter and slit her throat as the others bound Eliza and carried her away, screaming.

She spent 6 weeks at their temporary camp, her and the other women of the town. They were beaten and raped on a regular basis, until suddenly, it stopped. Overnight, the assassins had abandoned the camp when they got wind of an adventuring party drawing near. The party freed the women, but with nowhere to go, Eliza swore revenge for her slain family.

She decided that the best way to exact revenge was to strike from the inside. She left her former life far behind, and travelled far, taking on the new name "Siali". She began training with all manner of assassins tools - weapons, stealth, acrobatic tricks. She began stealing and killing her way into taverns, inns and across the world, secretly searching for the Red Hand of Zehir, hoping to draw them to her.

Eventually, it worked. They invited her to join their organization. Through her subterfuge and double dealings, she has learned that some of the leaders are suspicious of her. They sent her to work with the chapter in River's Watch - she does not know their evil intentions for that place, but she is sure that when the time is right, and when she has found the heart of the organization, she will strike them down. For now, she must maintain a complicated lie. To outsiders, she is an ordinary adventurer. To the Red Hand, she is an agent of destruction. In her own heart, she often finds the chaos and destruction to be liberating. She is both intrigued and afraid of what that revalation means.

and the description:
    Eliza is generally a kind woman, but is very passionate about what she cares about. As Siali, she must maintain an air of indifference, and also must keep the truth about her past from anyone she doesnt trust (which is usually everyone).

She is adept with a dagger, and can weild shurikens and all other vicious blades with deadly precision. She usually has anywhere from 10-20 daggers and 25-50 shurikens concealed on her person at any given time, as well as her trusted short sword - the one her husband fell defending his family with.

She is currently only known as Siali to anyone and everyone in River's Watch.

dnd__female_elf_ranger_by_yiasafrai.jpg

EDIT: Adding some RPing

Her cover provided by the Red Hand was a barmaid at the Golden Iris. I hate this place she thought, as she served another round of drinks, followed by a round of men grabbing at her, trying to cop a feel. One patron actually got a decent handful of flesh, and as she eyed him, he slipped her a gold piece. I could kill you with that gold piece she thought with a smile. As she made her way back to the bar to get the next round for another table, she realized what she had thought. Stop it Eliza, she tried to tell herself thats not who you are.

She watched the halfling dancing and singing on the tables. She noticed several individuals, more hardened and rugged than the usual fare here at the Iris. A few were distinctly adventurers, carrying various weapons, special armor, or markings on their skin. Well, it means they have at least a few gold pieces they dont need anymore. Time to make the real money. She took a double whiskey to an elderly looking human that had asked for it a moment ago.
    Anaster in case you were curious :P
    "You dont look like the usual type we get here" she said as she set his drink down. "Are you just passing through?"

psolms on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Nicely done! Though, looking at the artwork, I'm wondering where she keeps those daggers :shock:

EDIT: Also she is missing armor on her character sheet.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    lol true.. but thats why its so impressive that she has all these friggen daggers somehow...

also, i updated the character sheet.. should have the armor now.. (i had to put it in the misc column)

psolms on
  • Options
    DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    psolms wrote: »
    lol true.. but thats why its so impressive that she has all these friggen daggers somehow...

also, i updated the character sheet.. should have the armor now.. (i had to put it in the misc column)

Under the Quick Look Up section there is a place to type in your armor bonus. Put it there and it'll auto calc into your score up top.

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    hurray! thanks :D

psolms on
  • Options
    incasincas Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    am I too late? is it still time?

incas on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    incas wrote: »
    am I too late? is it still time?

From the OP:
    Anyone interested in throwing their name in the hat just post a reply with a myth weavers character sheet (level 1) and your character's background by next Tuesday, March 10 at 5 PM EST.

There is still time, I guess? I run off Japanese time, though, your American times confuse and infuriate me.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You have until 5 EST which is almost exactly 5.5 hours from now.

I've even tried specifically not to read too many of the characters yet so as not to become attached to some before people have had a chance to post, so you really do have as good a chance as any.

Both groups will be posted late tonight (or possibly early tomorrow, but I'm really trying for tonight. Not much good TV on Tuesdays, so that'll help) along with any additional information. The actual game threads will start up soon thereafter.

I still don't know if there will be 5 or 6 per group. It's probably going to depend on the group dynamics, etc. (don't really want a group where the only strikers are rogues) and as such I probably won't know until the groups are selected.

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I run off GMT myself. it's terrible, I'm this close to doing it with the metric system.

I've got most stuff and am rushing the backstory now. just like to confirm, what rules do people use for stats?

incas on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    22 point buy is the norm for PbP, from what I've gathered.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    simonwolf wrote: »
    22 point buy is the norm for PbP, from what I've gathered.

Correct. I just realized that I never specified that. Damn. My bad.

If your already-posted characters deviate from it only slightly (as in, it's plain to see what your general stat distribution is but you've got a 16 where you can only afford a 15 or something along those lines), I will just ask you to correct it post-selection, so don't sweat it.

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    these are meant to be read together. Diego and Zyx.

It's my first wizard so I'm quite sure I messed up on the spellbook bit. And actually to tell the truth the backstory's not very clear, but a general idea would be good enough. And I don't have a picture.

Alright, I admit it - it's my first time really creating a character, the second time I'm dnd'ing, and my third post on these forums. Cheers.

Good luck everybody, and have fun reading everything, mr themindtaker

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=113420
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=113437

incas on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    i think you mean wizard, not warlock (zyx)

psolms on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    By my watch, with a count of 18 entrants submitting 28 characters with a 6/8/8/6 (D/S/C/L) split, submissions are now closed. Groups will be posted as soon as I have them. Thanks again everyone!

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ::crosses fingers::

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    StormgaleStormgale Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ::crosses fingers::

-cuts of some random blokes hand for more finger crossing action-

But Seriously, GL guys... some freaking amazing concepts :P

Stormgale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    For kicks and giggles, I did a quick and dirty racial breakdown based on the characters posted here. Since I am at work, i didn't follow any links to myth weavers.

5 Humans
    3 Half Elves
    3 Dragonborn
    3 Eldarin
    2 Elves
    2 Dwarves
    2 Halflings
    1 Goblin
    1 Genasi
    1 Tiefling
    1 Gnoll
    1 Gnome

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    i also did a breakdown, matching races to classes, and all organized by roles.
    LEADERS
    ========
    Hafling Bard - Pip Poperlock
    Gnome Warlord - Blublo Phillippei
    Halfling Cleric - Alfons Deemer
    Eladrin Artificer - Trahearn Meliamne
    Human Warlord - Deigo

CONTROLLERS
    ===========
    Human Wizard - Anaster
    Half-Elf Wizard - Dante Oriorterra
    Dwarf Invoker - Adrik Stonehand
    Eladrin Wizard - Niltsiar Erejam
    Human Druid - Oren Aldregan
    Human Druid - Cain
    Human Wizard - Zyx

STRIKERS
    ========
    Elf Rogue - 'Eyes' Airdrie
    Human Rogue - Sander
    Dragonborn Warlock - The Abzurian
    Goblin Sorcerer - Gwim
    Dwarf Warlock - Darrak Cobalttoe
    Gnoll Barbarian - Sorych
    Longtooth Shifter Ranger - Alaen Haldmire
    Human Ranger - Tariq Wahdi
    Half-Elf Rouge - Siali

DEFENDERS
    =========
    Eladrin Fighter - Braelani Cuaifeach
    Dragonborn Fighter - Khazal abu Hadim
    Genasi Swordmage - Kalim Vandri
    Tiefling Fighter - Skamos Darkrage
    Elf Fighter - Edrath
    Half-Elf Paladin - Fenrir Eytinge
    Teifling Paladin - Peace

1 Bard
    2 Warlord
    1 Cleric
    1 Artificer
    5 Leaders

4 Wizard
    2 Druid
    1 Invoker
    7 Controllers

3 Rogue
    2 Warlock
    1 Sorcerer
    2 Ranger
    1 Barbarian
    9 Strikers

4 Fighter
    2 Paladin
    1 Swordmage
    7 Defenders

as you can see, compettition is fierce.

EDIT: hmm.. my numbers dont seem to add up to yours mindtaker... im going to do another sweep...
    also, i think you counted Zyx as a striker because he misrepresented himself as a warlock. his powers and feats indicate that he meant wizard.

EDIT2: found it.. a second submission on the first page... still, the role numbers are off by my count... someone let me know if i've made an error in the counting.

psolms on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    relax man. I did a quick scan while I was waiting for a plan to load at work. Your numbers are, I think, accurate.

Also, Haha to everyone who thought this was the results post.

That'll be up soon. I'm still trying to figure out the last spots and make sure the players, characters, and skills are all pretty reasonably balanced, but it will definitely be done tonight.

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    relax man. I did a quick scan while I was waiting for a plan to load at work. Your numbers are, I think, accurate.

That'll be up soon. I'm still trying to figure out the last spots and make sure the players, characters, and skills are all pretty reasonably balanced, but it will definitely be done tonight.

D:

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    lol.. PSYCHE!

psolms on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You guys are way too into this 'results post' thing.
    f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Rainfall wrote: »
    f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5f5

I don't want to rush you or anything, but HURRY UP ARGH

Arkan on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ok, so, here we go.

First of all, Holy Shit. You guys are awesome, and your characters are awesome.

If you didn't get picked, go harass DVG's recruitment thread.

Also, Dajian sounds like he's pulling something together in a couple weeks, and I noticed some rumblings this evening in the 4E discussion thread that more games are coming, so just keep an eye out, there's plenty more coming.

For those that did get picked, keep an eye out for your game thread either later tonight or early tomorrow.

Without further ado:

Group 1, "Legends Lost":
    Braelani - Eladrin Fighter - Dortmunder
    Eyes - Elf Rogue - Rainfall
    Alaen - Longtooth Shifter Ranger - Arasaki
    Niltsair - Eladrin Wizard - Arcsyn
    Cain - Human Druid - DVG
    Pip - Halfling Bard - Dajian

Group A, "Legacies":
    Kalim - Genasi Swordmage - UEAKCrash
    Sorych - Gnoll Barbarian - robp85
    Darrak - Dwarf Star Pact Warlock - Arkan
    Adrik - Dwarf Invoker - cytorak
    Oren - Human Druid - Rius
    Trahearn - Eladrin Artificer - simonwolf

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sweet.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Holy crap guys this is amazing! Episode 4 of the podcast is up now on iTunes!!

What? Why are you looking at me like that?

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png