As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prank 2009: You Know You Want To (But Can't Anymore :p)

• JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ah, I didn't even realize Twitter could send SMS messages! I assumed I needed some internet-capable phone to browse to/use the twitter website/some twitter app. Apparently I'm behind the times with these new-fangled talk boxes. =)

Given that fact, I'm in too. =)

hmmm...I may have to clarify as well, that you have to have a twitter account tied to your phone so that you can get the SMS text messages.

JonnyNero on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    JonnyNero wrote: »
    Ah, I didn't even realize Twitter could send SMS messages! I assumed I needed some internet-capable phone to browse to/use the twitter website/some twitter app. Apparently I'm behind the times with these new-fangled talk boxes. =)

Given that fact, I'm in too. =)

hmmm...I may have to clarify as well, that you have to have a twitter account tied to your phone so that you can get the SMS text messages.

Yeah I'm sure that info is pretty useful as well. I guess I'm making a Twitter account. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Jordman12Jordman12 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wouldn't mind shooting some video. I have an HD camera that I can record with if you guys need an extra cameraman

Jordman12 on
    2015 PAX East Omeganaut
    2016 PAX East Omeganaut

HAIL HATS !!!!!!!

@Jordman12
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Jordman12 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind shooting some video. I have an HD camera that I can record with if you guys need an extra cameraman

If you really want to, I could probably use an extra cameraman for my Community Project. Of course, that can simply and solely involve getting footage of the various pranks. :D

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • ninjownedninjowned Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm down to participate and help in anything, especially something as awesome as this :winky:

E-mail has been sent!

ninjowned on
    ninjowned!
  • BjacobsBjacobs Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm in, as long as i'm going for sure.

Bjacobs on
    edited March 2009
    Okay, just updated the OP list so that you know who we have an email address from. We did get one e-mail, where we got their phone number (not needed :p)...but we have no clue who it was from, so if that was you, let us know.

@bjacobs: let me know when you are sure that you are going

JonnyNero on
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I vote for walkie talkies. XD

eye-shuh on
  • AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Roger that Eye-shuh!!!

Azazel on
    edited March 2009
    My group used walkies last year. Unless you have super hearing or have it sitting on your shoulder or some place really close to your ear, you probably won't hear it. I'm getting little headsets for them this year, just the little ones that's a single ear piece with a mic attached to the cord.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Plus keep in mind a walkie talkie (2 way radio or whatever) wont cover the entire WSCTC. There are dead zones and it wont reach across the whole center and through all its floors.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    Best to just send pigeons with messages tied to their feet. Nothing can stop a pigeon... except a window.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited March 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Best to just send pigeons with messages tied to their feet. Nothing can stop a pigeon... except a window.

Or Moe's B.O.

Moe stinks.

:P

BigRed on
    edited March 2009
    Lies! Lies and slander.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Or poor people... pigeon is good eatin' to them.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
    edited March 2009
    I had fairly good luck with walkies in the convention center, aside from just barely being able to hear them. Half the reason we even got a pair was because we were traveling to Seattle in two vehicles, so we could communicate with each other, and it was funny because we kept intercepting other people/channels when we got in downtown.

I think we did notice a dead zone or two indoors though, but I really don't remember...

Or myself. I trap-shoot a lot, and if I see one of them flying around the convention center I might just mistake it for a clay pigeon and have to open fire. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited March 2009
    I remember back in 07, I intercepted somebody's communication who was driving down I-5 while walking around downtown. I think I gave him directions to the Oregon border (which isn't where he was going).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited March 2009
    lawl!

we intercepted some guys that were doing work in one of the buildings, and there was something about a shower, and... well, it got interesting when we were involved, but I'll have to look at our footage to remember exactly what because we had a camera rolling when it happened. :D

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    Or myself. I trap-shoot a lot, and if I see one of them flying around the convention center I might just mistake it for a clay pigeon and have to open fire. :P

I know I'm being overly pedantic about a joke, but it's pretty hard to confuse these with these.

Sigh... I miss trap shooting, especially in Sun Valley, ID.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited March 2009
    Yeah it was a bad joke, I know... I'm not good at making good ones :P

trap shooting is pretty fun though

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited March 2009
    We need emails from a bunch of people still and we need them from the video guys as well

JonnyNero on
    edited March 2009
    Sent :D

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • The_SavesThe_Saves Magistrate of Crazy Town KirklandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sent an Email. Sounds like good times aplenty ^_^

The_Saves on
    Ummm...
  • Jordman12Jordman12 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I sent you my email via private message here on the PA forums.

Jordman12 on
    2015 PAX East Omeganaut
    2016 PAX East Omeganaut

HAIL HATS !!!!!!!

@Jordman12
  • Ty1012Ty1012 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Count me in! I should be available most of the time, and would love to participate!

Ty1012 on
  • HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Excellent, keep the emails rolling in. We'll be responding to those with updates as they happen.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
    edited March 2009
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    I had fairly good luck with walkies in the convention center, aside from just barely being able to hear them. Half the reason we even got a pair was because we were traveling to Seattle in two vehicles, so we could communicate with each other, and it was funny because we kept intercepting other people/channels when we got in downtown.

I think we did notice a dead zone or two indoors though, but I really don't remember...

GMRS radios wont work between say... the line room/registration to expo. Or the 4th floor down to 1st.
    (pax expereince there)

Other convention expereince ive had there say they wont work from 6th floor to anywhere, which will be a problem for pax this year....

in other words stick with cellphones

BigRed on
    edited March 2009
    This is probably entering deep into the stupid question department, but I wanted to gauge the interest of this idea.

The idea we were kicking around last night was to have commissioned "hits." In other words, people could pay us for prank some one. All proceeds would of course go to Child's Play.

So the question is, would you be interested?

JonnyNero on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think that idea is made of Win Jonny =)=)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited March 2009
    Would they be donations or a set price?

Donations would be better IMO. Good idea though!

Then again, I think every idea that has to do with donating to Child's Play is a good idea. XD I owe Children's Hospital my life! Everyone give them money!

You should have people dressed in black carrying NES zappers in holsters take the hit money.

eye-shuh on
    edited March 2009
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    Would they be donations or a set price?

Donations would be better IMO. Good idea though!

Then again, I think every idea that has to do with donating to Child's Play is a good idea. XD I owe Children's Hospital my life! Everyone give them money!

You should have people dressed in black carrying NES zappers in holsters take the hit money.

We may just do that'

Early iterations is that we would have a minimum amount to donate (say $5) but as the amount of donations increase, the amount of people we would try to get to do the prank would as well.

In other words, $5 dollars may get you 1 person in the mob, $20 may get you 5-10, $100 may get you 15-20, etc.

If we end up doing it, we'll come up with a scale as such, but at least you get the gist of the idea

JonnyNero on
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I like the donation idea, with the donation being set by you guys and the client due to complexity and obviously covering costs associated with the "hit", so the more high profile the target or the more involved it is, the price goes up. I would def pay some cash for you to do something terribly hilarious to my hotel-mates for a cost.

MaoChan on
    edited March 2009
    Just bear in mind that if someone is going to shell out 100$ for 20 people to pull a prank they might want to specify a highly populated area for the most effect. Which could be a fire hazard. Which could make Khoo mad at us.

I have no doubt you guys are already coming up with guidelines, just remember how much we love and respect the Khoo....and fire codes.

eye-shuh on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think it would be a bad idea to get paid for hits. I feel it would make it lose much of it's spontaneity, and make it feel more like "work" vs just something fun. There would be an imperative to get as many people to have hits done for as much money as possible, and the better known and more often something like this happens, the less of an impact it has.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    How about then everyone submits bids and ideas and the prank committee then picks the best ones to do?

MaoChan on
    edited March 2009
    proXimity wrote: »
    I think it would be a bad idea to get paid for hits. I feel it would make it lose much of it's spontaneity, and make it feel more like "work" vs just something fun. There would be an imperative to get as many people to have hits done for as much money as possible, and the better known and more often something like this happens, the less of an impact it has.

That work vs. fun argument was brought up last night when we were initially discussing this, which the solution there was that I'd be in charge of the donated hits, because I don't go to PAX for the games and panels necessarily, I'm more there for the community feel, so missing a panel or playing a new demo isn't that big of a deal to me.

Although, the spontinaety issue is a good point. I'll definitely bring that up next planning meeting we have.

JonnyNero on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

CPIP?

redhalo on
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah the payment thing kinda makes it feel.... less fun. :/ I <3 childs play too and all, but I dunno... it just kinda doesn't sit right with me.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
    edited March 2009
    We STILL need emails from people...our first update is scheduled for the beginning of April, so if you want that info, we're going to need your email.

Check the OP to see who we have email from and who we do not.

I'm looking disdainfully at you emo...

JonnyNero on
    edited May 2009
    So here's an update.

We're not sure what is going to come of this quite yet,. 2/3 of the primary pranksters are either in limbo or have confirmed that they cannot make it to PAX this year. We still really want to do this, so much so that it is haunting

JonnyNero on
This discussion has been closed.