As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX05 Console Tournies: Rules and Info

• DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2005
    Hi!
    I'm in the SC2 tourney, and was wondering what the rationale behind Neutral Guard being On was. You seem to have options that reflect a higher level of play, but Neutral Guard On is more of a non-expert option.

If you don't feel strongly about it or even so, I'd wonder if it could be changed to Off.

Thanks,
    Haelix

Unknown User on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Not that I feel strongly about it, but it's traditional to leave neutral guard on.

It helps beginners in a few scenarios, and experts don't worry about it. Leaving it on is fine.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited April 2005
    Are you expecting many beginners to play in the tournament?

I'm going to do some testing, but I'm pretty sure I've run into scenarios where Neutral Guard has messed me up when playing.

Unknown User on
  • Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Neutral Guard has never made any noticable impact, which is exactly why it should be left on. Just one less thing to worry about.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited April 2005
    Halo 2 rules have been updated.

Thread cleaned. Give it a rest guys.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • R3V3L4T1ONR3V3L4T1ON Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Um, me being the n00b that I am, and this being the first tournament I've ever entered, I have a question. Since Both the Halo 2 and SC:CT tournaments are team-only, how do I get into a team to practice? I am assuming that it is not a random drawing to see who's on what team, so....

I'm already signed up for the SC tourney. I am planning on the Halo 2 tourney. For those of you who have been here before, what should I do next?

R3V3L4T1ON on
    edited April 2005
    If you don't have a team in time for registration, we team you up with anyone who's available.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited April 2005
    Okay, thanks a lot. One question though- I already signed up for the SC:CT tournament online. Did you guys change your minds about that and just void any online entries?

R3V3L4T1ON on
  • TobiTobi Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    I'm glad you decided on MLG rules for Halo 2. Cool stuff.

Tobi on
    PMS clan + My 1UP profile + Myspace +

GT(s): sagaciouz (Xbox 360), Annarchy (Halo 2)
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    So my only question is who decided there shouldnt be radar in halo and why?

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    edited April 2005
    The Smash tourney is fine as-is. I spent way too much time hammering out rules last year and I don't intend on going through another drawn-out argument. If I decide to change anything I'll consult Takagi, but otherwise, it's final. Any and all posts arguing over Smash rules will be deleted from here on out. Sorry if I'm over-reacting, but I've suffered enough bickering over these rules to last a decade.

Because radar is for scrubs.

Seriously, why SHOULD we include radar?

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited April 2005
    Zig21 wrote:
    The Smash tourney is fine as-is. I spent way too much time hammering out rules last year and I don't intend on going through another drawn-out argument. If I decide to change anything I'll consult Takagi, but otherwise, it's final. Any and all posts arguing over Smash rules will be deleted from here on out. Sorry if I'm over-reacting, but I've suffered enough bickering over these rules to last a decade.

Because radar is for scrubs.

Seriously, why SHOULD we include radar?

its a main staple of the game...

Doodmann on
    edited April 2005
    Doodmann wrote:

That's not a very compelling statement.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited April 2005
    Zig21 wrote:
    Doodmann wrote:

thats because I dont consider my self an expert at what Bungi was tryiong to accoplish in their game. I could talk about how by getting rid of the radar you are reducing the game to reaction times and quickness which goes against the stratagy and coordination that would be necissary other wise, but I figure you have a reason for it and coming from the AC I am overly causious about getting flamed :roll:

Doodmann on
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2005
    Zig21 wrote:
    Doodmann wrote:

one can argue that taking away the radar could potentially increase the amount of time per match

but i won't be playing, so whatves

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
    edited April 2005
    Doodmann wrote:
    Zig21 wrote:
    Doodmann wrote:

thats because I dont consider my self an expert at what Bungi was tryiong to accoplish in their game. I could talk about how by getting rid of the radar you are reducing the game to reaction times and quickness which goes against the stratagy and coordination that would be necissary other wise, but I figure you have a reason for it and coming from the AC I am overly causious about getting flamed :roll:

*shrug* We had no radar last year and the tourney players didn't mind at all.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited April 2005
    Radar is a crutch for the weak.

Knob on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Ah, Smash Brothers, a game with so many different possible settings that Zig had multiple aneurysms last year. Thanks for sticking to your guns on the rules as is, I won't debate them with you.

However, will there be much time for practice before tournies? I haven't played Tekken 5 yet, but am a Tekken 4 afficionado and am still going to try and participate. Hopefully Bryan Fury is still a badass.

Meaning, when there are no tournaments going, will the tournament room have a sort of Free Play thing going on?

Taramoor on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2005
    Taramoor wrote:
    Ah, Smash Brothers, a game with so many different possible settings that Zig had multiple aneurysms last year. Thanks for sticking to your guns on the rules as is, I won't debate them with you.

However, will there be much time for practice before tournies? I haven't played Tekken 5 yet, but am a Tekken 4 afficionado and am still going to try and participate. Hopefully Bryan Fury is still a badass.

Meaning, when there are no tournaments going, will the tournament room have a sort of Free Play thing going on?

Well, there is a whole other Free Play area for consoles instead of them being the same this year...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited April 2005
    I now have like twice as much time to prep and whatnot, so there's a good chance I can let tourney participants get some solid warm-up time before each tourney. I can't make any promises just yet though.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited April 2005
    I don't have much time to hang around the forums so I was curious to know if there was already a thread existing on the topic of forming teams for the tournament. If not, I would like one of the mods to tell me whether I should start one.

R3V3L4T1ON on
    edited April 2005
    Thread cleaned.

As for teams, while there's still no registration, starting a thread sounds like a good idea. I'll make one and sticky it.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited May 2005
    Initial rules for Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory have been posted. Also updated the Tekken 5 rules regarding infinites.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited May 2005
    Have you decided on a final ruling for mapping multiple buttons in Tekken 5?

Knob on
    edited May 2005
    I don't really see a need to ban command bindings, as this isn't that serious of a tournament. I might change my mind, but for now, anything's fine.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    Thank you so much for changing it to mlg settings, just a quick note though.

First, if your going to have mlg on Ascension, then please make sure that the banshee is not on the map. TS with subs worked better on ascension with the banshee because the smg's do more damage to the banshee than the br's do, if the banshee gets the rocks then its pretty much game over for the other team but its not worth taking of mlg just because of this, just taking the banshee off would be a lot better.

Second, any possible chance of adding ivory tower or midship would be really apreciated, and they work very well for these setting types.

Third, what exactly are the prizes 4 the winners?

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
    edited May 2005
    If Ascension makes it to the final map list, then yes, the banshee will be disabled.

The final map list hasn't been decided yet, so there's a good chance one or both of those two maps will be included.

As for prizes, I'd like to compile a list but we haven't finalized all our sponsorship deals.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited May 2005
    ok thank you

Element Brian on

Arch,
  • Mr. Glub GlubMr. Glub Glub Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    Where do I register for any of these tournaments? Is it on site? I must enter that Smash Brothers tournament. I've been waiting years for a REAL challenge.

EDIT: Ugh, the Smash Brothers Tournament is fully booked. I guess I wont bother going.

Mr. Glub Glub on
    glubsignature.gif
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2005
    Grenade jumping in Halo 2 isn't a glitch.

Sword flying was patched out.

And what the hell is the reload glitch?

FyreWulff on
  • X Equals LoserX Equals Loser Wilford Brimley Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    FyreWulff wrote:

Yeah, grenade jumping isn't a glitch.

The reload glitch is a glitch where the carbine doesn't ever need to be reloaded, basically turning it into a freaking machine gun.

X Equals Loser on
    xequalsloser.gif
    edited May 2005
    Where do I register for any of these tournaments? Is it on site? I must enter that Smash Brothers tournament. I've been waiting years for a REAL challenge.

EDIT: Ugh, the Smash Brothers Tournament is fully booked. I guess I wont bother going.

There's a good chance we'll have day-of spots, but those are first come, first serve. The maximum we could have is 32 pools with 16 players each (512 players total), but having each pool capped at 8 would be much better. If someone knows what the Smash tourney was capped at during online registration, please let me know. I think it was 256 but I'm not sure.
    FyreWulff wrote:

I'll eventually edit out any glitches that were removed, assuming we're using the patched version at the Expo itself (and we fully intend to do so).

As for grenade jumping, well, MLG banned it, and I'm going by what they say. Do you object to it being banned or just pointing out a technicality? If it's the former, you'll need to give me a convincing reason to change the rules. If it's the latter, thanks for pointing that out.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2005
    Zig21 wrote:

There's a good chance we'll have day-of spots, but those are first come, first serve. The maximum we could have is 32 pools with 16 players each (512 players total), but having each pool capped at 8 would be much better. If someone knows what the Smash tourney was capped at during online registration, please let me know. I think it was 256 but I'm not sure.
    FyreWulff wrote:

I'll eventually edit out any glitches that were removed, assuming we're using the patched version at the Expo itself (and we fully intend to do so).

As for grenade jumping, well, MLG banned it, and I'm going by what they say. Do you object to it being banned or just pointing out a technicality? If it's the former, you'll need to give me a convincing reason to change the rules. If it's the latter, thanks for pointing that out.

Technicality, but there's no point to banning it because it doesn't actually give you any real advantage. There's only one map that I can even think of where it's semi useful (Foundation, you can get off the map if you time grenade jumps right, but you've already banned that, which I agree with)

The reason I say this is because TBK (the PA Halo 2 group) has been playing Halo 2 for the past 8 months.. and MLG ain't fun. Perhaps you could take some suggestions for gametypes? Because it's sorely missing objective games too.. and Halo is all about objectives gametypes.

FyreWulff on
    edited May 2005
    Technicality, but there's no point to banning it because it doesn't actually give you any real advantage. There's only one map that I can even think of where it's semi useful (Foundation, you can get off the map if you time grenade jumps right, but you've already banned that, which I agree with)

Hmm, then it seems MLG banned it specifically to prevent people from getting off-map. Assuming it makes no major difference either way, I'll base my decision on whether or not banning grenade jumping is better for simplicity's sake.
    The reason I say this is because TBK (the PA Halo 2 group) has been playing Halo 2 for the past 8 months.. and MLG ain't fun.

Your personal feelings regarding MLG aren't relevant, no offense. I wanted a rule set that's used on a national level by a successful organization, and MLG is the best choice by far.
    Perhaps you could take some suggestions for gametypes? Because it's sorely missing objective games too.. and Halo is all about objectives gametypes.

Sorry, but the tourney will be Team Slayer and that's final. If Halo was all about objective games then they'd be the standard for tournies, no? Plus they take too damn long. I'm open for holding seperate tournies in the future to accomodate CTF and other formats in the future, but for now it's Team Slayer.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited June 2005
    Thread cleaned.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited June 2005
    I made a thread, but I just deleted it here, because this thread seems active and informative

Just wondering if there is a chance in hell that someone can still get into the Smash Tournament. I'm comin' in from Canada and I'd hate to get there with high hopes and be dissapointed (Even though it would be everyone's loss, heh heh)

I'd like to go, but if I could compete in the official tournament, that would make my summer. My neck of the woods is dry for worthy opponents.

I read that there may be spots open when the Expo opens, first come-first serve. How likely would it be that I could secure any position if I am there.

-d.

Unknown User on
    edited June 2005
    At this point in time I do plan on allowing day-of registration. I'll get back to you on that.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited June 2005
    Is there any update on the prizes for the Halo tourney. I have a few people that would love to go pax soley for the tournament, but i doubt they wanna waste time, gas, and money if the prizes arnt worthwile. Thanks...

Element Brian on

Arch,
    edited June 2005
    Prizes are still an ongoing process. I don't think all the sponsors are finalized at this point in time.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited July 2005
    Mario Tennis rules are FINALLY up.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck