As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fat Acceptance (No, I will not make you a sandwich)

necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited April 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Props to Feral for recognizing this should be split into its own thread.
Feral wrote: »
necroSYS wrote: »
MrMister wrote: »
She's so busy nattering for universal acceptance

Because yeah, fuck that.

... what?

Look, when we're talking about race, creed, color, sexual orientation, etc, I'm all for universal acceptance, believe me.

But if we're talking about universal acceptance for fat, wilfully-obtuse people, I'm going to be one of the angry protestors holding up a EAT A FUCKING SALAD, JESUS CHRIST signs.

I would love to talk to you about fat acceptance but I don't want to drag this thread off-topic. I invite you to start your own thread if you care about this subject enough to clutter up this thread with it.

Here's the basics:

Having been massively fat (like orca fat) and then getting in really awesome shape several years back (more than 5, which I guess qualifies me as a "freak of nature" in some eyes), I understand the whole inertia around obesity. I was a fat kid, I know what that was like.

But I also know enough about human physiognomy and exercise science to know that obesity is not a "valid lifestyle choice". If you want to be fat, fine. But don't expect society (which has to absorb most of the externalized costs of your choice) to love you for it.

necroSYS on

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah the fat movement scares the shit out of me. This country is going to face rising health care costs and we want to push for national healthcare and obese people now want to be listed as a protected class. Only in fucking America.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    hah, i read this article yesterday:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/charlotte-hilton-andersen/would-you-rather-be-calle_b_169010.html

relevant

i say its absurd that fat people want to be considered like, a special class of people like a religion
    jeez
    get on a treadmill

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah the fat movement scares the shit out of me. This country is going to face rising health care costs and we want to push for national healthcare and obese people now want to be listed as a protected class. Only in fucking America.

Seriously? God that is dumb

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm not some Atlus or anything but yea I could lose it if I went to the fuckin gym or something but I'm not like some 200 pound giganto, being zomg huge where you can't find your genitals isn't cool, or a good idea it's just fucking lazy.

SkutSkut on
    edited March 2009
    Trus wrote: »

I swear I've read articles in the past that Obese people want to be listed as a disability and a protected class.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What a wretched article.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    But I also know enough about human physiognomy and exercise science to know that obesity is not a "valid lifestyle choice". If you want to be fat, fine. But don't expect society (which has to absorb most of the externalized costs of your choice) to love you for it.

What if you are trying to lose weight, but would prefer not to be treated like shit by people just because you haven't yet met their expectations?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I swear I've read articles in the past that Obese people want to be listed as a disability and a protected class.

The fact that you are calling them "obese people" shows that you categorize them as a class.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i hate the excuse "WELL HE/SHE CAN'T HELP IT, IT'S A DISORDER/BAD GENES/ METABOLISM THING!"
    fuck YOU, it doesn't matter to me WHY that person's obese.
    it's not okay to be obese, it's bad for you and everyone around you. it's not like your friend is the only person with this 'magical uncurable' mojo to explain away their fatness. and you believing it is only encouraging the fatass sadsack.

Local H Jay on
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUU

I've worked as a personal trainer and getting a client from hugely obese to that sweet maintainable spot called "curvy and cute" is not that hard. It's just a matter of eating right and giving a shit about their health. It isn't a lifetime disability and the science behind healthy eating isn't alchemy.

Any fatty who wants considers their bulk a disability and want state protection should be shipped off to a country for six months where McD's isn't available on every street corner.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ruzkin wrote: »
    I've worked as a personal trainer and getting a client from hugely obese to that sweet maintainable spot called "curvy and cute" is not that hard.

Some people would consider "curvy and cute" to be "obese."

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2009
    "Okay, I'm grossly overweight, but I'm still a human being, so stop treating me like shit" = cool

"It is discriminatory to imply that being in a healthy target range for weight is objectively superior to being a 400 pound land-whale" = lame

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    huh... I wonder why they would want to be protected, considering all the seething hatred in here.

Classy.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited March 2009
    I'm not sure I understand what the thread is about. Is it about not being a dick to people, or is it about accepting obesity as a disability? Because I certainly don't think it's right to look down at or disparage people because they are obese. That's dickish. However, I also don't think obesity is a disability unless you actually have some kind of biochemical impairment that leads to obesity.

Drez on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I'm pretty sure they have their own lobbyists now.

KalTorak on
  • Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Okay I find myself in the middle ground here.

I am a fatty, 260lbs 5'3" girl. I have almost no cardio. I know there are things I could be doing and am doing. I take Judo once a week, get out and walk instead of driving, am working on eating healthier, cutting out sugars and fats, quiting smoking.

However I really hate being told that I am just lazy and being looked as a inferior person because I am fat. The nasty looks by the general public, the comments in public places by strangers that I had beeter be carefull to make sure that my daughter dosent get fat like me. Never being able to find nice clothes my size, (exacerbated byt he fact that I take an H cup bra) and the sniggers of strangers.

So while I fall into the working on being healthy side, I also want people to stop judgeing fat people just on our size. Hell I still can't beleive that my husband finds me attractive after 12 years together cause I have been taught that my size precludes that.

Mom2Kat on
    edited March 2009
    I've worked as a personal trainer and getting a client from hugely obese to that sweet maintainable spot called "curvy and cute" is not that hard.

"Obese" is a clinical term, so these people are wrong and probably stupid.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I'm not some Atlus or anything but yea I could lose it if I went to the fuckin gym or something but I'm not like some 200 pound giganto, being zomg huge where you can't find your genitals isn't cool, or a good idea it's just fucking lazy.

Ouch... I'm 225 (and losing) does that make me giganto?

But seriously I know I'm fat and I'm working to change that. I am walking to class more (instead of parking closer, I'm parking further and walking it), watching what I eat, and going to bed earlier... And I've lost 15 pounds in the past month. It really isn't that hard if you've got the willpower.

But unfortunately NOT EVERYONE HAS THE WILLPOWER. It takes willpower to stop smoking, and most people don't have the power to do that. It takes willpower to stop drinking... Well, you know where I'm going with this.

That said. Making fat people a protected class? That's fucking BONKERS. Anyone who supports that needs to take a hard look at theirselves.

urahonky on
    edited March 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

No way have you seen the capitol steps?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited March 2009
    Mom2Kat wrote: »

I am a fatty, 260lbs 5'3" girl. I have almost no cardio. I know there are things I could be doing and am doing. I take Judo once a week, get out and walk instead of driving, am working on eating healthier, cutting out sugars and fats, quiting smoking.

However I really hate being told that I am just lazy and being looked as a inferior person because I am fat. The nasty looks by the general public, the comments in public places by strangers that I had beeter be carefull to make sure that my daughter dosent get fat like me. Never being able to find nice clothes my size, (exacerbated byt he fact that I take an H cup bra) and the sniggers of strangers.

So while I fall into the working on being healthy side, I also want people to stop judgeing fat people just on our size. Hell I still can't beleive that my husband finds me attractive after 12 years together cause I have been taught that my size precludes that.

I fundamentally agree with you, however society generally does frown upon laziness which can manifest in a myriad ways.

Is it wrong to do so? Doesn't society have a vested interest in making sure most human beings are NOT lazy?

I'm kind of playing devil's advocate here, I admit. I don't think it's right to condescend to people because they are overweight. However, I do think it is right to condescend to layabouts that do absolutely nothing outside of perpetuating their own lazy existence. I'm not comparing the two, but I weigh about 250 pounds and the only reason I weigh this much is because I'm lazy and I know I'm not alone in one's laziness contributing primarily to one's overweight-ness. Like all things, one's weight can (usually) be controlled, so isn't it a fair assumption?

Drez on
    edited March 2009
    Podly wrote: »

The fact that you are calling them "obese people" shows that you categorize them as a class.

Yes they are a class, but that doesn't mean it should be a protected right to be overly large and have people conform to that. I don't choose to be heterosexual, but I do choose to eat mcdonalds everyday.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited March 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

But seriously I know I'm fat and I'm working to change that. I am walking to class more (instead of parking closer, I'm parking further and walking it), watching what I eat, and going to bed earlier... And I've lost 15 pounds in the past month. It really isn't that hard if you've got the willpower.

But unfortunately NOT EVERYONE HAS THE WILLPOWER. It takes willpower to stop smoking, and most people don't have the power to do that. It takes willpower to stop drinking... Well, you know where I'm going with this.

That said. Making fat people a protected class? That's fucking BONKERS. Anyone who supports that needs to take a hard look at theirselves.

I dunno how tall are you I'm like 5'4" so anything above 150 is stomach girth on me. There's also body builders that are technically obese by that stupid BMI thing, lol.

Mainly I'm just ranting at myself to stop being lazy and go outside, which I will starting tomorrow, I need to look for work and used to walk about 6 miles a day. Never did lose any stomach girth, thing I need to do situps or something.

There is some genetics involved too I guess, my friend and his sister are skinny beanpoles, but he does hard construction work, her not so much, and they're from Louisannia and their mom (big woman :p) makes mostly fried stuff.

SkutSkut on
    edited March 2009

You are cool.

Seriously, mad props.

I don't think ill of obese people in general. They're cool people too, and I don't begrudge them their lifestyle. I object to two things:

A) People who claim that "obesity is bad" is a subjective value statement. Know, it is a truism. Obesity is unhealthy, you will die sooner, and you will drain our nation's health care coffers in the process. I'm not going to give you shit just for being overweight, because I don't know you, and even if I know that you make a conscious decision to weigh 300 pounds, I have better things to get in a snit about than your weight. Just don't pretend your weight is totally awesome; it's not.

B) People who are overweight and believe that if they buy the right book or pay enough fitness club dues they will lose weight automagically. No, dumbass, you still need to actually work at it. Buying 12 copies of The South beach Diet will not make you lose weight. Paying $100/mo to 24 Hour Fitness does not make you lose weight. Eat less, eat healthier, exercise regularly. Do this for the rest of your life. Then you will lose weight. In these people's defense, our society helps to breed this stupid mentality, and so I don't give people shit about it even as they're bragging about the awesome new book recommended by both Oprah and Dr. Phil. I just quietly seethe.

ElJeffe on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I agree, not everyone has the willpower. I think your comparisons to people with smoking and drinking problems are apt - everyone has the right to smoke with full knowledge that it's bad for them, same with drinking, same with eating. I don't like smokers getting hated on just for deciding to smoke (being careless with their 2nd-hand smoke is a separate thing, not part of this thread). Don't be a dick to someone if their choice isn't hurting you. Someone wants to eat/drink/smoke themselves to death? That's their perogative.

But making them a protected class? Fuck that. If they don't like baggage that comes with it, no one's forcing them to do it.

KalTorak on
  • NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mom2Kat wrote: »

Attractiveness is relative. I've been attracted to many different sized women, but that doesn't mean that I don't have a preference for athletic/slim figures on women.

Judgement often comes because people realize that it is quite doable to lose weight if you really commit to it, thus not doing it means you haven't really committed to doing it. They don't realize how long it takes, or just how picky and disciplined and changed you have to be in order to meet with their unrealistic standards.

Give yourself time, and believe you can and *decide* to go for it, and you can do it...if you want to.

If you don't do it, realize that's a choice too, and people have the right to judge you based on your decisions.

Ninto on
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i hate the excuse "WELL HE/SHE CAN'T HELP IT, IT'S A DISORDER/BAD GENES/ METABOLISM THING!"
    fuck YOU, it doesn't matter to me WHY that person's obese.
    it's not okay to be obese, it's bad for you and everyone around you. it's not like your friend is the only person with this 'magical uncurable' mojo to explain away their fatness. and you believing it is only encouraging the fatass sadsack.

o_O

I weigh 150 and look like a fucking stick. Nevertheless, I don't understand why people don't have the right to get as fat as they want. And I don't understand why anyone has the right to object.

Edit: Also, what Jinto and ElJeffe said.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
    edited March 2009

Fat people don't have to walk those steps - that's one of the things they pay the lobbyists for.

KalTorak on
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Drez wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand what the thread is about. Is it about not being a dick to people, or is it about accepting obesity as a disability? Because I certainly don't think it's right to look down at or disparage people because they are obese. That's dickish. However, I also don't think obesity is a disability unless you actually have some kind of biochemical impairment that leads to obesity.

What about clinical depression, bipolar disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, body dysmorphic disorder, or any number of other psychological conditions that cause people to overeat or spurn exercise?

I don't think that clinical obesity should be treated as harmless, but this attitude of "I don't have any problem with fat people, but seriously fuck fat people." is extremely disturbing. How the fuck is it permissible to tell someone "it's OK that you're unacceptably disgusting, so long as you have a doctor's note"?

Obesity is a real, serious medical condition that should be treated with as much sympathy and care as any debilitating disease. Enablers, people who advocate eschewing treatment in lieu of some bullshit egalitarian crusade against looksism deserve to be called out for the harm they're doing, but that harm is absolutely inconsequential compared to the damage caused by this attitude of "sit up or shut up."

I'm not pointing the finger at any one person, I just thought Drez's post was a good jumping-off place for the point I wanted to make. Honestly the sentiment behind this whole thread makes me slightly ill.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »

You are cool.

Seriously, mad props.

I don't think ill of obese people in general. They're cool people too, and I don't begrudge them their lifestyle. I object to two things:

A) People who claim that "obesity is bad" is a subjective value statement. Know, it is a truism. Obesity is unhealthy, you will die sooner, and you will drain our nation's health care coffers in the process. I'm not going to give you shit just for being overweight, because I don't know you, and even if I know that you make a conscious decision to weigh 300 pounds, I have better things to get in a snit about than your weight. Just don't pretend your weight is totally awesome; it's not.

B) People who are overweight and believe that if they buy the right book or pay enough fitness club dues they will lose weight automagically. No, dumbass, you still need to actually work at it. Buying 12 copies of The South beach Diet will not make you lose weight. Paying $100/mo to 24 Hour Fitness does not make you lose weight. Eat less, eat healthier, exercise regularly. Do this for the rest of your life. Then you will lose weight. In these people's defense, our society helps to breed this stupid mentality, and so I don't give people shit about it even as they're bragging about the awesome new book recommended by both Oprah and Dr. Phil. I just quietly seethe.

Oh absolutely on both accounts. The worst part is: it's SO EASY to blame genes. I blame genes for what I have to do to actually keep off the weight. I have many friends who eat Chipotle with chips and a large drink twice a day and still manage to be under 170 pounds. They do the same things I do: Work at a desk job and play video games.

If I even think about eating Chipotle I gain ten pounds right off the bat. It's insane.

But even then, it goes back to: willpower. If you've got the will you can do it. It's just that it's hard, and people don't like hard things. Hell it's almost like people don't like to overcome challenges. They like to accept defeat. It's sickening.

Yeah the stupid mentality is driving me nuts too.

urahonky on
    edited March 2009

Fat people don't have to walk those steps - that's one of the things they pay the lobbyists for.

Touche.

"Who you lobbying for?"

"Twinkies, you?"

"Obese people, we should go over our notes over a low cal lunch."

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited March 2009
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

What about clinical depression, bipolar disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, body dysmorphic disorder, or any number of other psychological conditions that cause people to overeat or spurn exercise?

Isn't everything in your list a biochemical impairment which I actually mentioned in the post above? With the qualifier "unless"?

I don't think that clinical obesity should be treated as harmless, but this attitude of "I don't have any problem with fat people, but seriously fuck fat people." is extremely disturbing. How the fuck is it permissible to tell someone "it's OK that you're unacceptably disgusting, so long as you have a doctor's note"?

I hope you're not responding to me here, because I would never do this and I don't condone this kind of behavior at all.

Obesity is a real, serious medical condition that should be treated with as much sympathy and care as any debilitating disease. Enablers, people who advocate eschewing treatment in lieu of some bullshit egalitarian crusade against looksism deserve to be called out for the harm they're doing, but that harm is absolutely inconsequential compared to the damage caused by this attitude of "sit up or shut up."

Unless there is a biochemical condition feeding (no pun intended) the obesity, I view it as a more mild form of alcoholism. It's a disease, even if you're completely doing it to yourself. And you should be afforded sympathy. But a protected class? No.

I'm not pointing the finger at any one person, I just thought Drez's post was a good jumping-off place for the point I wanted to make. Honestly the sentiment behind this whole thread makes me slightly ill.

Oh, okay.

Drez on
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

FAT PEOPLE ARE BAD HURF DURF. "Yes I am grossly obese but I'm still a person so stop treating me like shit." applies to comments like this, I believe.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
    edited March 2009
    Nah obesity in a way is worse than alcoholism, barring extreme circumstances you don't have to drink, you have to eat something.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited March 2009
    I got fat playing Diablo II in highschool and becoming a lazy fucker. Now I just need to break that habit.

Granted I can walk that 6 miles and not get tired, which is weird yay stamina I guess. Maybe I should do what Eddie Murphy did and put on six jackets and walk that 6 miles, it is summer time and he did lose a lot of weight really quick like that. (yes I know that's a horribly dangerous idea)

SkutSkut on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Obviously a lot of people are fat because they're lazy, but I think there needs to be some general realization that it's not just a result of individuals deciding to be slothful, but at least partially because of way modern society (American especially) is set up.

Personally, I'm glad I now live in a place where walking and using mass transit is a viable option, because I think the fact that often people have no exercise built into their lives due to sedentary jobs and driving everywhere is half the problem. To say nothing of all the foods stuffed with sugars/hcfs/etc.

And just for reference sake I'm about 5'8", 200 lbs. I'm trying to get my weight under control, but lack of money (which means buying cheap food) and stress are working against me right now. I take some comfort in the fact that even in my late twenties I'm essentially the same build as I was when I was in college, but it's cold comfort.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I dont really know alot about fitness, last June i was pretty overweight (5'10, 213 pounds.) and now I"m at 183, so I've lost 30 pounds in about 9 months, which, probably isn't that much.

As far as I'm concerned though, my wii fit age is younger than my actual age, and thats all that really matters to me. That and my awesome pecs.

The whole obese America thing is something I see everyday. Right now I'm waiting for my next semster of college to start and after looking fruitlessly for a job for a month, I settled with Mcdonalds. Since they give us free meals, it would be very easy to let things get out of hand. I could just not eat there, but free food is a plus for me, so every day for lunch I have a grilled chicken sandwich (only vegetables and BBQ sauce) on their wheat bun with apple slices and milk. So i feel pretty proud of myself.

But then I have to watch the regulars come in, E V E R Y D A Y. Theres one family who comes through the drive thru ATLEAST once a day, and orders 4 large diet cokes. With Washington tax, that comes out to about 9.30 every time. Sometimes they come through a second time. I estimate that they spend rougly $3500 a year soley on Diet Coke. And I'm working at mcdonalds to barely make it through next semesters rent.

Then theres the children, wont somebody please think of the children?? I'm the only person at my work who does this, but every damn time somebody orders a happy meal, I ask if they want fries( which I say in my dull unhappy voice) or if they want Apples! (with a bit more enthusiasum and umph).... Usually they choose fries.

As far as I'm concerned, our obesity problem has one specific culprit. Stupid Parents. Seriously I don't think some people realize how much damage they are doing to their children by feeding them fries every day ( or multiple times a day in some cases.) It makes me sad.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »

"Obese" is a clinical term, so these people are wrong and probably stupid.

Indeed. A lot of people also don't realise how difficult it can be to lose the last 5-10 extra kilos, because many gyms continue to push cardio as a weight-loss method when in truth treadmills don't do dick for your weight-loss above what you'd lose just walking a kilometre to the bus stop.

You can be healthy and strong with a bit of a tummy, but there is no excuse for choosing to remain obese. Kudos to all people who decide to get fit when they're extremely obese, because it's a tough starting position. But it can be done.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Nah obesity in a way is worse than alcoholism, barring extreme circumstances you don't have to drink, you have to eat something.

Interesting point. One might even say that a difficult option alcoholics have, that of going cold turkey, is denied to fat people, who have to eat to live, but have trouble stopping at a reasonable amount.

edit:
    Indeed. A lot of people also don't realise how difficult it can be to lose the last 5-10 extra kilos, because many gyms continue to push cardio as a weight-loss method when in truth treadmills don't do dick for your weight-loss above what you'd lose just walking a kilometre to the bus stop.

You can be healthy and strong with a bit of a tummy, but there is no excuse for choosing to remain obese. Kudos to all people who decide to get fit when they're extremely obese, because it's a tough starting position. But it can be done.

I don't get this. Why can't someone choose to remain obese? What if they like food?

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    One thing many people in this thread don't seem to understand that food addiction - actual, real food addiction - is much, much harder control than most other addictions. An no point do you have to smoke. At no point do you have to have a drink. At no point does that needle have to dip into the vein.

You have to eat every day. It's one of the most difficult addictions to treat purely because of that.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I personally try not to say much about fat people. It's just about common courtesy to me; even the most beautiful people have some flaws that it would be rude to point out or disparage. Also, any of us could end up in the proverbial Vanilla Sky car accident where we end up more hideous and disfigured than any "fat person" and would expect others to not disparage us.

That said, the idea of "fat acceptance" in my mind is dumb and unhealthy. As I said, I'm not going to disparage anyone, personally, for being overweight, because it's just rude and unkind. But people who actually try to claim that being fat is a valid "lifestyle choice" and others shouldn't be allowed to say it's bad? Yes, it is bad, just like smoking is bad or taking shots at 8 in the morning is bad. Teaching society that "fat is unhealthy" is a far cry from "you suck for being fat", and the former needs to be taught, loud and clear, because it's a rapidly-growing problem. Focus on childhood education, open up gyms, get community programs started. Otherwise we're going to be paying the price later on - all of us.

That said, I think we need somewhat looser standards for "fat". I remember people criticizing Britney Spears' abysmal VMA performance on the grounds that she was "fat". No. She was intoxicated, embarassing, woefully underprepared and a general laughingstock, but fat she was not, and anybody that thinks a 30-year-old woman who weighs 140 lbs is "fat" has their head up their ass.

Duffel on
This discussion has been closed.