As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fat Acceptance (No, I will not make you a sandwich)

• Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Gym class should just be running. In circles on a track, and you should get screamed at if you slow down. People who are fast should get driven to their limits, and people who are slow should be made to feel a strong desire to not be slow anymore, but shouldn't be driven to the point of puking too often.

You think I jest?

Nay, the best shape of my life was in Basic Enlisted Submarine School where they just made us run. A lot. There were no illusions of sporting fun or joy or mercy.

But it was cool to be in shape.

FUN FACT: Not everybody responds well to negative reinforcement. Particularly fat kids who don't want to be exercising anyway.

You go ahead and keep being unhelpful though.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think this needs to be said. Fat people, you think people are giving you "dirty looks" because you're fat? They probably aren't. My default facial expression apparently qualifies for mean-mugging. I'm not accusing you of persecution complexes, but most people are pretty self absorbed - they might be having a crappy day and you happen to catch them looking in your general direction looking pretty scowly. How often do you think to yourself "he's giving me a dirty look because I'm fat"? You're probably wrong more often than you think.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    Losing weight (going from 295 lb to running marathons) messed with my head. I read an article that someone in [chat] linked a couple of weeks back, and it mirrored my thoughts quite well. It discussed the total resentment you begin to feel towards your peers once you gain acceptance that was absent as a fat person. It feels good, obviously, to finally have women look at you... but for me, at least, when my mind digs in and realizes that my appearance is what made me worthy of attention, I got intensely bitter. It's been a few years since I got into shape and it still messes with me sometimes.

Yeah, I definitely feel you there. All of the positive reinforcement I got when I got in super shape came with this huge backlash of anger.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I think this needs to be said. Fat people, you think people are giving you "dirty looks" because you're fat? They probably aren't. My default facial expression apparently qualifies for mean-mugging. I'm not accusing you of persecution complexes, but most people are pretty self absorbed - they might be having a crappy day and you happen to catch them looking in your general direction looking pretty scowly. How often do you think to yourself "he's giving me a dirty look because I'm fat"? You're probably wrong more often than you think.

This too. When you're fat (especially if you grew up that way), you take every giggle, every look, every whisper as an insult. Most of the time, the people involved couldn't be less interested in you. You're part of the scenery to them.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    Gym class should just be running. In circles on a track, and you should get screamed at if you slow down. People who are fast should get driven to their limits, and people who are slow should be made to feel a strong desire to not be slow anymore, but shouldn't be driven to the point of puking too often.

You think I jest?

Nay, the best shape of my life was in Basic Enlisted Submarine School where they just made us run. A lot. There were no illusions of sporting fun or joy or mercy.

FUN FACT: Not everybody responds well to negative reinforcement. Particularly fat kids who don't want to be exercising anyway.

You go ahead and keep being unhelpful though.

Hey hey, I never said they should scream hateful things. Just scream at you that you're not allowed to stop and have to keep going.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Here's my only question. What about me?

I'm 6'2", and about 230-240. I'm overweight, and have been for a few years now. I recently lost a bit (so I might very well be under 230) due to changing my diet. However, I love food. I honestly think that food is one of the most wonderful things that human beings can experience, and I love to eat. Now, I don't eat constantly, and I try to eat in a relatively healthy manner (which means I cook a lot instead of eating junk food). I'm pretty committed to being overweight for the rest of my life. I hate exercising, and I refuse to give up one of the greatest pleasures in my life in order to lose a few pounds. I also have a tolerable level of fatness for myself, and I reached that (what prompted the cutting of sugared sodas out of the diet) and I wont reach it again.

The question is though, how tolerant should we be of my kind of mentality? I wouldn't really say that I'm obese (at least not a lot) but I don't really want to be fit and healthy either (and I probably wont ever be). Is it okay to do things that are unhealthy even knowing that I might be more sick when I'm older or die sooner?

Well, a lot of the more active people would look at this mentality as "He just hasn't found his sport/activity yet." Because, I'll be honest, for most people, being in the gym 3-6 days a week sucks. But if you get in decent shape (to where you can actually participate in sports), you can start finding things to do that are fun. Kayaking, mountain biking, triathlons, whatever. And that's the engine that drives long-term fitness.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

You think I jest?

We're talking about elementary kids, do we really want to treat them as if they're in fucking boot camp? Do you know what having someone screaming at a kid for being slow will do to them? It's not like they don't know they're slow and are embarassed for lagging behind, now you're making an example out of them?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    AlthaneAlthane Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And if not running, some sort of strenuous physical activity. It's good for them, gets them in shape, gets them used to working hard, and gets them used to pain.

Hell, when I was younger, I ran around the lake near us along with the ROTC (granted, I ran the lake once while they ran it three times. In full equipment. Dammit, I was like 13!). Great experience!

Althane on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Oh and incidentally guys, hardcore body-building also results in heart problems.

Most activities are harmful if done in excess.

No, steroids result in heart problems.

Hardcore bodybuilding just results in serious muscle and masochistic tendencies.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »

You think I jest?

We're talking about elementary kids, do we really want to treat them as if they're in fucking boot camp? Do you know what having someone screaming at a kid for being slow will do to them? It's not like they don't know they're slow and are embarassed for lagging behind, now you're making an example out of them?

Bring back the agoge!

necroSYS on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    necroSYS wrote: »

I'm 6'2", and about 230-240. I'm overweight, and have been for a few years now. I recently lost a bit (so I might very well be under 230) due to changing my diet. However, I love food. I honestly think that food is one of the most wonderful things that human beings can experience, and I love to eat. Now, I don't eat constantly, and I try to eat in a relatively healthy manner (which means I cook a lot instead of eating junk food). I'm pretty committed to being overweight for the rest of my life. I hate exercising, and I refuse to give up one of the greatest pleasures in my life in order to lose a few pounds. I also have a tolerable level of fatness for myself, and I reached that (what prompted the cutting of sugared sodas out of the diet) and I wont reach it again.

The question is though, how tolerant should we be of my kind of mentality? I wouldn't really say that I'm obese (at least not a lot) but I don't really want to be fit and healthy either (and I probably wont ever be). Is it okay to do things that are unhealthy even knowing that I might be more sick when I'm older or die sooner?

Well, a lot of the more active people would look at this mentality as "He just hasn't found his sport/activity yet." Because, I'll be honest, for most people, being in the gym 3-6 days a week sucks. But if you get in decent shape (to where you can actually participate in sports), you can start finding things to do that are fun. Kayaking, mountain biking, triathlons, whatever. And that's the engine that drives long-term fitness.

Does it ever. I work out 5 days a week for an hour, and I doubt I'll ever stop thinking of it as anything else but a chore.

It's a shame though, because as much as I hate actually starting excercising, the feeling after a good workout is really unmatched. If more people felt it, maybe they would be more encouraged to work out.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

You think I jest?

The problem is if you are too touchy feely then the kids will just walk it way before they ever hit the point where they've improved their actual ability.

Once someone gets to the point where they can run a few laps without it hurting, then they'll enjoy exercise much more. And yeah, you can definitely be fat and still be in good enough shape to have a decent run if you work at it. When I was getting in shape to join the military initially I was on the fattyfatfat side, and I was able to enjoy running way before I actually started to drop weight.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh and incidentally guys, hardcore body-building also results in heart problems.

Hardcore bodybuilding just results in serious muscle and masochistic tendencies.

Not entirely true. There's an undercurrent in many (not all, but many) bodybuilding and weight-lifting circles that nutrition just doesn't matter. It's a game of calories in = muscles out, and it doesn't matter how you get them. I recently read a case study of a competition weight lifter forced to quit the circuit because of massive heart problems caused by a daily intake of 8-10 McDonalds meals and endless protein bars.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    ruzkin wrote: »

Not entirely true. There's an undercurrent in many (not all, but many) bodybuilding and weight-lifting circles that nutrition just doesn't matter. It's a game of calories in = muscles out, and it doesn't matter how you get them. I recently read a case study of a competition weight lifter forced to quit the circuit because of massive heart problems caused by a daily intake of 8-10 McDonalds meals and endless protein bars.

Not buying it. I've never known a serious musclehead who ate like that. I see those guys eating boiled chicken and scrambled egg-whites and crap that just frankly doesn't seem at all appealing, let alone pleasant tasting.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Okay, steroids and stupidity cause heart problems. Part of any bodybuilder's macrocycle is a cutting cycle. You can't cut bodyfat if you're eating McDonalds every day. Now, some gym-going fatasses like to say they're on a "growth-cycle" perpetually, because that allows them to pack on bodyfat and eat like shit all the time, but unless they're spending most of their year at sub 10% bodyfat levels, they're just deluding themselves.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Heh, T-Nation

necroSYS on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

You think I jest?

The problem is if you are too touchy feely then the kids will just walk it way before they ever hit the point where they've improved their actual ability.

Once someone gets to the point where they can run a few laps without it hurting, then they'll enjoy exercise much more. And yeah, you can definitely be fat and still be in good enough shape to have a decent run if you work at it. When I was getting in shape to join the military initially I was on the fattyfatfat side, and I was able to enjoy running way before I actually started to drop weight.

i have large flat feet and kneecaps with shallow grooves (meaning my kneecaps can and have popped in and out due to the lateral force of say running in a circle). Running will never, ever be fun or enjoyable for me and will never not hurt.

riding bikes on the other hand is fine.

but seriously, fuck running.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Whoa... Yeah that guys a nutcase. However he isn't a bodybuilder, he's a powerlifter, and it's also very clear from the article that the guy is not representative of his peers, but is in fact held in the same regard we view people who leave chick tracts in laundryrooms. ie: a crazy person.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

You think I jest?

i have large flat feet and kneecaps with shallow grooves (meaning my kneecaps can and have popped in and out due to the lateral force of say running in a circle). Running will never, ever be fun or enjoyable for me and will never not hurt.

Bike riding is great but it's not practical for a gym class.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Everything Thanatos is saying in this thread hits all the right nails on the head. The rest of you (well, some of you) are making dents in the wood instead.

jeepguy, that is the terrible fucking idea. Yes, yell at a kid for being slow, so that they will garner the sniggers of their peers. That will do great to motivate them to get out in front of everybody and fail to be good enough! Because when you are operating on the assumption that you're the "slow one" or the "fat one" then of course you'll just keep trucking to succeed, not retreat from to avoid the humiliation!

Seriously. What Thanatos said about the gym being a place for healthy people and not people who want to be healthy is absolutely correct. I know it's part of the reason why I am straight up terrified of going to the gym. And the first person who says "Just don't be afraid" is gonna get smacked. That kind of reduction of legitimate fear to a simple on/off switch never helped anybody.

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Medopine wrote: »
    is it possible to both

accept different body shapes and sizes, including overweight ones

while at the same time encouraging healthy eating habits and exercise from a young age?

I mean I see the dilemma here: we love you the way you are, but to be healthy you need to lose weight
    Humans aren't usually rational beings.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Does it ever. I work out 5 days a week for an hour, and I doubt I'll ever stop thinking of it as anything else but a chore.

It's a shame though, because as much as I hate actually starting excercising, the feeling after a good workout is really unmatched. If more people felt it, maybe they would be more encouraged to work out.

It doesn't help that people are working longer hours with less time off than ever.

I know for me, when I worked at Best Buy I was on my feet for 8 hours. I have flat feet, so I had a hard time getting the willpower to go workout when my feet hurt. I'm sure for other people long hours at work cause a lack of energy that has a similar kind of effect.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

You think I jest?

Bike riding is great but it's not practical for a gym class.

not every kid can run around in circles and you can't exactly force them.

heck, you can't even get kids to sit at desks and pay attention to words.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Everything Thanatos is saying in this thread hits all the right nails on the head. The rest of you (well, some of you) are making dents in the wood instead.

jeepguy, that is the terrible fucking idea. Yes, yell at a kid for being slow, so that they will garner the sniggers of their peers. That will do great to motivate them to get out in front of everybody and fail to be good enough! Because when you are operating on the assumption that you're the "slow one" or the "fat one" then of course you'll just keep trucking to succeed, not retreat from to avoid the humiliation!

Seriously. What Thanatos said about the gym being a place for healthy people and not people who want to be healthy is absolutely correct. I know it's part of the reason why I am straight up terrified of going to the gym. And the first person who says "Just don't be afraid" is gonna get smacked. That kind of reduction of legitimate fear to a simple on/off switch never helped anybody.

I won't say "don't be afraid" but I will say that you should find a YWCA rather than a regular gym.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

You think I jest?

Agreed. While I don't think we should force adults to do something they do not want, I would really love if we as a society made it the default to work your ass off instead of the default being doing jack shit and eating McDonald's.

Being overweight is one of my biggest regrets, but I have dropped 15 pounds in two months, so I'm working on it. I should qualify to enlist this month, and needless to say, as soon as I hit Basic it won't be an issue, at all.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

You think I jest?

Solve Obesity by building more submarines, now thats thinking outside the box.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Also, physical education in this country is a fucking joke. We don't talk about nutrition to any serious degree, the focus is on the competitive aspects of sports rather than on getting exercise and being healthy, and it's turned into such a useless class over the past several years that a lot of schools are cutting it out entirely. If the class was taught by people who actually knew what the fuck they were doing rather than just dumping it on the coaches so that they have something to do during the day, it might actually be useful.
    Are schools actually cutting out PE classes from the curriculum now? Didn't anybody get pissed?

It basically went the way most things go. There was a short outburst of impotent rage, then people went back to watching American Idol and forgot about it.

Sports programs are getting cut left and right for budgetary concerns, as well as academic concerns, but it also has the effect of reducing a major avenue of physical activity for students.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The only problem I have with what jeep recommends is I think the teacher can be forceful and positive without yelling and risking having kids feel like shit. Other than that I think actually keeping kids in shape is a fucking great idea. they should also have better foods in cafeterias (I assume that was talked about already as it's not something anyone would disagree with) to start good habits at a young age.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited March 2009

You think I jest?

Solve Obesity by building more submarines, now thats thinking outside the box.

No, the sedentary lifestyle of being on an actual submarine has destroyed the fitness gains I made in school.

But in school it was pretty great, they started everyone off jogging/running in a big pack and as the fatties (like me) start to slow they give them extra encouragement, eventually breaking off the fast people into a pack where they are driven up huge hills at increasingly faster and faster speeds before being made to run up a staircase that goes on forever, while the slower people are now in their own pack that takes the same hideous course at a more reasonable pace.

By the end of it everyone is too numb and exhausted to care whether they were in the fast group or the slow group and everyone trudges back home to take a shower with nary a breath to bullshit along the way.

And damn did my run times get good.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, ultimately, people tend to do what's easiest. As long as both the easiest and cheapest thing to do is always the most unhealthy, obesity rates are going to continue to be pretty terrible.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Another thing? Stop hyping up the extreme competitiveness in sports at school. Kids don't need more of a reason to rag on other kids who don't measure up. There were so many times in my life I actually enjoyed a little bit of a sport but recoiled at actually doing it because I wasn't good at it, and I didn't want to be shit on by the people who were, or worse, sneered at for being a fattie trying to get the ball. Want to get the ball, fattie, maybe you should lose some weight!

The best way to lose weight, at least for me, would be to not make it a fucking priority. Ok, maybe I'll dabble in volleyball. I suck at it and I lose all the time. But I'm here to have fun! And if I don't lose weight quickly, or really even at all, then don't give me shit for that either!

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    running for a long time isn't the same as racing. there is no winner.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I am opposed to having competitive sports take place during gym class, I think it leads nowhere good.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Medopine wrote: »
    is it possible to both

accept different body shapes and sizes, including overweight ones

while at the same time encouraging healthy eating habits and exercise from a young age?

I mean I see the dilemma here: we love you the way you are, but to be healthy you need to lose weight

It would definitely have to be from a young age. From personal experience, years and years of being judged negatively for my weight, most productive mentioning sounds provocational.

I know that sounds irrational. Being self-conscious, extremely aware of how others view you, of how you're incapable of doing a lot of the things others can, one thing that helps is believing that the people close to you don't view it as a factor when it comes to how they view you.

Fat people should not become a protected class. It's not entirely a choice, as Than pointed out. The cards are stacked against some obese people, and one thing leads to another, then one day you wake up and you're big. Real big. I'd just like to see people not treat fat as if it's disgusting. God, most of my life the only reasons I've thought of for losing weight was for other people.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Variable wrote: »
    That would be great if it were true, but all the eyes of the kids sitting in the bleachers while you're still trucking that last lap alone don't say so. Even if they really don't think so, it's what you're thinking. It's embarrassing. To pretend it isn't is kinda unfair.

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That would be great if it were true, but all the eyes of the kids sitting in the bleachers while you're still trucking that last lap alone don't say so. Even if they really don't think so, it's what you're thinking. It's embarrassing. To pretend it isn't is kinda unfair.

in that sense there's competition in everything. the most the teachers can do is not draw that out.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I can't stress enough that obese people should not be treated badly, but obesity needs to be treated like a real problem (because it is one) and not some sort of alternative lifestyle.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I am opposed to having competitive sports take place during gym class, I think it leads nowhere good.

are you also opposed to tests in class because they support a system of ability segregation between smart kids and dumb kids?

competetive sports are fine. life is competetive and its something kids have to learn.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009

well there is no way to eliminate all competitiveness when you have kids exercising in a group

what should happen is the teacher should not be promoting it, i.e. shouldn't say divide people into competing sports teams

Medopine on
This discussion has been closed.