As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

grand central orikae - Astro Zombies finished, p 8

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well in my defence I do have incredibly itchy balls............wait....that's not right.

Mustang on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Where the heck do you get a shirt printed up like that?

Because that's a nice job.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    there's a print shop called 'the ink shop' that claims to print directly onto tees, their stuff holds up pretty well

although they actually fucked up that shirt by printing it too small

it's still nice

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You just had to post that battle again didn't you?

That shirt turned out great though.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'm still working on this grid study. I'm just going box by box and trying to render through value. It's going slowly, but I'm learning an incredible amount.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    deepone.jpg

this was supposed to be a warmup drawing! it didn't end up that way, because i'd just been reading about Dagon on wikipedia.

how's my figure?

EDIT:

deepone_2.jpg

Chico reminded me of the existence of shadows and the moon.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Can I make a suggestion?

Make this:

gradation.gif

And again, and again, until the gradation is smooth. Do it until you can barely see the strokes, *without* smudging.

Then, draw this:

ShadeValueSphere.jpg

Same thing. Do it over and over again until you can barely make out the individual strokes. Also, shade *along* the form, like in this example:

shading_techniques_01_cropped_300px.jpg

It will look much better than if you shaded the sphere with the random strokes you typically use (or even one-direction strokes). Curve the strokes for the best effect.

Final step - apply what you've learned to your drawings! :)

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    thanks, ND! i'll put that into use straight away.

i was actually attempting to do the whole 'shade along the form' thing but i guess i just lapsed into bad habits.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Can I make a suggestion?

Make this:
    gradation.gif

And again, and again, until the gradation is smooth. Do it until you can barely see the strokes, *without* smudging.

Then, draw this:
    ShadeValueSphere.jpg

Same thing. Do it over and over again until you can barely make out the individual strokes. Also, shade *along* the form, like in this example:
    shading_techniques_01_cropped_300px.jpg

It will look much better than if you shaded the sphere with the random strokes you typically use (or even one-direction strokes). Curve the strokes for the best effect.

Final step - apply what you've learned to your drawings! :)

I can definately see the benefit here, but why oh why must it be SO BORING! Can we throw some pipe cleaners and glitter on it? Maybe jazz it up with some gold stars?

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    learning to put up with tedious shit is part of the exercise, i thought. if you're gonna render something, you gotta take time with it.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It's not so much "learning to put up with the tedium" as "learning the foundations of what you're attempting". It will become much less tedious once you've got the technique down, and you'll just get faster and faster with it, naturally (as people do with anything they draw over and over).

As an example...you wouldn't jump into drawing a city without first learning perspective. You wouldn't start painting grapes without first understanding how shadows work on a curved surface.

It may be tedious at first, but it's highly beneficial once it's learned. Is learning perspective tedious? Sure as hell can be. Will learning perspective make your drawings of buildings (and almost anything, actually) look better? You bet.

So...will learning how to make proper gradations and shade nicely help out Orik? I absolutely think so.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    i guess i should have phrased that a little less casually: i meant it more along the lines of 'acquiring discipline is part of learning the fundamentals'.

most of my problem up to this point is that i get impatient very easily. i've already done all of those sphere rendering studies and value gradations, but obviously i didn't take enough time with them the first time and shaded them the way i've done all along. so i'm doing them again.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    oh my god, has it really been this long since i've updated?

well, i've been doing huge paintings, i figured i'd post my progress on the current one, since i spent a while talking in DR's thread about it.

here's my zombie painting, entitled 'diamonds are forever'.

it's huge, which means it's not in particularly good shape right now - most of the values need to be re-blocked in, because i messed up most of the facial colours and needed to whitewash them. (i still need to do it for the other non-central faces.)

so, it's not really in shape for colour critique, but i'd like drawing critique, because it's still in the stage where i can change it if necessary.

this is a shitty picture, too, sorry. i took it with the webcam on my laptop.

Snapshot_20090304.jpg

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Snapshot_20090309.jpg

today's update, slightly better picture. moving slowly towards completion!

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    What medium is that?

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I like the transparent effects you're getting on this!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    ND: Thanks!

crawdaddio: Windsor-Newton water-mixable oils with semi-gloss medium. I know that a lot of fine art dudes and ladies turn up their nose at water-mixable oils, but frankly I don't have the time, money, or inclination to be messing around with paint thinner, filtration masks, and rubber gloves. This gives me a flexibility of location that I wouldn't get with traditional oils.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I like the zombie dress party, Orik. It is blurry though.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    i'm gonna grab my actual camera on Wed. and stop trying to document my stuff with my laptop.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    actual camera photo:

paintingcropped_reasonable.jpg

e: also, a flyer i designed for an event that no longer is happening - i really want crits on this.

n122700611_34078652_7943730.jpg

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    my immediate crit is that the scroll on the bottom isn't centered .. one side hits the edge and the other side doesn't. the feathers being cut off at the top are also distracting, for me.

were you not allowed to use any real colour?

to be blunt, i feel that the black on top of the muted brownish gray you've got going on there looks tacky. i also feel like the 'charity event & readings' bit was crammed into that area solely because it was the only source of white space. you likely planned to use that white space for that purpose -- im just saying it's how it looks

i think the most important crit i have in the design of this is that, while i like your font, my eye doesn't know where to focus. since i'm taking a hard look in order to offer (what i hope is) some constructive criticism, i've read it all, but i feel like if i were passing it in a hall way i would simply see "Book of my own" and move on.

i feel that flyers should be like newspaper columns, in a way -- all the important information is stated right away; that is to say, when i look at a flyer, i want the most important information to pop out at me first. what, where, when, how much.

mully on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    I don't see any particular area that draws my attention - it's busy and nothing really points to what areas are more important than others

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The center text describing the proceedings is actually less important on a poster than most of the things you've got smaller on there. What, when, and where are what a person wants to know before why. If they're caught by the title or the people involved, they'll move they're eyes to look at a more detailed description.

Well, that's not 100% true, but I'd mostly just agree with Rakenphile. There's too many words taking up too much of the page. You can make words smaller and not lose attention. If someone is going to read it then they'll read it, and a smaller font doesn't impede their ability to do so.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    like, consider the heirarchy of importance

what is the most critical

-title
    -subtag explanation
    -time/location (group these together)
    -admission price/information
    -explanatory text
    -sponsor info

in that order

now look back at your design and see how you're presenting them - right now the title is muddied up and competing for attention with the graphic, making it hard to see

the subtitle explanation is split and gets lost

the location and time information is split up, when it is part of the same message - "here's when, here's where".

the admission price and info is being given the most defined area - it is separated away from all the rest of the flyer, so it jumps out and draws the eye, but nothing leads us back to the rest of the flyer. The scroll it is on is off-center and cuts off the page, and the type isn't parallel with the scroll, so it breaks the illusion.

the extra explanatory copy is given the second-most prominent space, leaving the eye to wander to it, but it is an irregular block of text and not inviting, so we just breeze past it.

I love ya, man, but I think you might need to go back to the drawing board for this one.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    thanks for the excellent crits, guys. i was doing it as a favour to a friend, so i had to shoehorn all that info into it - thankfully, it ended up getting cancelled, so i'll do a revision more in line with your crits.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    another update. i really like where it's going now. hopefully i'll be done in a week.

DSCN0766_cropped.jpg

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    I dunno, it may not be what you're going for in terms of style, but I feel like the piece could be made a lot stronger with some stronger tonal contrasts. The colors all being so bright- almost like they're directly out of the tube- and local color based is making the focus be drawn away from the 2 central figures.

Also it feels like you're becoming enamored with the loose stroke/dripping paint effects, ("hey, that's kinda cool"), rather than stepping back and using discretion on how to apply them ("I want to use X effect here in order to accomplish Y").

Paintover: probably 95% of what I did was just laying in some blacks in there. Obviously oils (or waterbased oils...the painting does look more like a watercolor than oils at this point anyway) are going to be harder to just lay in a lot of rich black/darker colors at this point and not have them get muddy than just throwing them in in photoshop, but I'd say it's worth the extra effort probably.

Orik_zombiewedding.jpg

Desaturated to just show tone:
    Orik_zombiewedding_2.jpg

Now, I solved the contrast problem through lighting, but that's not the only way you could do it- you could go more graphic and just arbitrarily boost the contrast on the central figures and desaturate the crowd behind, or you could tighten the rendering on the central ones and render the crowd more loosely/abstractly.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    thanks, bacon. yeah, that is basically what i'm building towards. it looks quite a bit darker in person, but i can never get it to come out on camera the way it looks in person.

i really appreciate the crit, and i'll put it to good use.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    DSCN0774_cropped.jpg

trying to keep in mind bacon's crits. almost done i think.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    highlights are really intense right now, the ones where it's a problem are going to get washed over and muted. that'll happen this weekend probably. new update on monday.

in the meantime, i want to hear your crits!

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Adding more contrast really does help a lot. Looks good.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    orik that's some freaky shit dude

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    thanks, guys. it's kind of funny, because i really didn't do that much. i added some impasto highlights in the vein of bacon's crit, but the only *darker* paint i really added was in the background, yet it changed the whole piece. crazy.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    As a dude that was bored and wandered into here the one thing that keeps sticking out to me is the dude on the side's shirt.

When the focus is on the two forefront characters do you need the side guy advertising a movie/book that strongly?

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    it's getting brought down on friday. i just didn't get to it today. it'll be in a muted orange, more in-line witht he original logo. value-wise, it will be about the same as a dark grey.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    it's done!

cropped_fixed_small.jpg
    cropped_small.jpg

Diamonds are Forever
    4'x5'
    Water-minscible oil on canvas

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I fixed the levels. It looks a lot more like it does in person now.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    CymrilCymril Son, we just crossed the street. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Holy shit that turned out fantastic!

Love the colours too.

Cymril on
    Shut up Francis. Something about Vietnam. Horseshit.

D3: Cymril#1411 || League of Legends/Steam/Xbox/Origin: Cymril
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    damn very nice orikae, very unique style as well, different in a fucking rad way too.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    The One 52The One 52 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You haven't stop being awesome. Two thumbs you for you! :^: :^:

The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
    The internet does not qualify as grounds where you can act like a bouquet of dick.