As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fable II: Buy the DLC, or the lead designer gets it.

• brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So after much procrastination and attempting to get over the fact that the Microsoft e-mail system never sent me my LE code after I bought the LE, I finally beat this game.

I absolutely loved every second of the ending. I'm kind of glad that I finished this after Fallout 3, otherwise that ending would have been even more of a let down for me. It perfectly wrapped up the story, and yet leaves it open for new content and sequels. Fantastic. I felt just like I used to when I'd beat a good classic PC adventure game.

Now uh, I should probably go and finally finish the first game...

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, since I've decided to restart my character again I decided that I was going to unlock every tournament prize from the Pub games before he reaches Bowerstone for the first time. Is Spinnerbox the "easiest" way to reach gambling level 5 and what's the best strategy for Keystones?

Silpheed on
  • DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Silpheed wrote: »
    So, since I've decided to restart my character again I decided that I was going to unlock every tournament prize from the Pub games before he reaches Bowerstone for the first time. Is Spinnerbox the "easiest" way to reach gambling level 5 and what's the best strategy for Keystones?

Regular Spinnerbox is the easiest to get level 5 gambler. For the keystone tournament, bet one chip on an archstone, then max out everything on the bottom row.

Doronron on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

If "easiest" you mean "most mind-numbling boring" then yes it is. Since your points towards rank is based on how much money you spend, the higher-level Fortune's Tower games (where you can bet 200+ gold a hand) are probably the fastest way to do it.

With Keystone, I typically pick a color, all the numbers of that color, ovals if it's red, dimonads if it's black, and either doubles, sequence, or trips. You have about a 40% chance of one of those numbers comming up, and you'll always get your money back, and then some... though some people swear to picking all trip possiblilitys and hoping for that big payoff.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Foefaller wrote: »

If "easiest" you mean "most mind-numbling boring" then yes it is. Since your points towards rank is based on how much money you spend, the higher-level Fortune's Tower games (where you can bet 200+ gold a hand) are probably the fastest way to do it.

With Keystone, I typically pick a color, all the numbers of that color, ovals if it's red, dimonads if it's black, and either doubles, sequence, or trips. You have about a 40% chance of one of those numbers comming up, and you'll always get your money back, and then some... though some people swear to picking all trip possiblilitys and hoping for that big payoff.

No, this is bad. Never bet on the red/black, diamond/ovals, and other things like that. You will gradually lose money. I found that the best way to win was to put bets on all the keystones but the first and last two. Then put inside bets on trips. All of the other inside bets are sucker bets (although I did have a lot of luck with the 2-9 and 12-17 ranges, or whatever those ranges were).

AnteCantelope on
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for all the help with the pub games. I'm currently blasting through Fortunes Tower and the Keystone tournaments but the Spinnerbox tournaments can choke on a dick for all I care. What do the ring you get fom winning a level 5 Spinnerbox tournament do? Is it simply a glorified weddingring?

Silpheed on
    edited February 2009

No, this is bad. Never bet on the red/black, diamond/ovals, and other things like that. You will gradually lose money. I found that the best way to win was to put bets on all the keystones but the first and last two. Then put inside bets on trips. All of the other inside bets are sucker bets (although I did have a lot of luck with the 2-9 and 12-17 ranges, or whatever those ranges were).

Well, it wouldn't be a well-made gambling game if you didn't lose money in the long run :P

the chance of a specific trip comming up is 1 in 216, of any trip 1 in 36. the chance of a specific color/symbol: about 4 in 9 (which is also the odds of either the 2-9 or 12-17 bets of paying off)

I just like my 4 in 9 odds, even if I don't get the huge payoff I'd get waiting for a trip...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2009
    Well, it's safe to say that I've developed quite a hatred for the Spinnerbox tournament..

Silpheed on
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You mean the lucksack tournament?

Yes, I hate those too.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2009

Yes, I hate those too.
    I just want to pass the last Spinnerbox tournament but no, I always end up in 16th place. That fucking ring better be worth it....

Silpheed on
    edited February 2009

Yes, I hate those too.
    I just want to pass the last Spinnerbox tournament but no, I always end up in 16th place. That fucking ring better be worth it....

Does your tv do picture in picture? If yes, you can watch something else, mash the a button, and just look down every now and then.

All my money in Keystone comes from the keystones. However, the big - if uncommon - boost from getting the trips is very valuable in the tournaments, where it doesn't matter if you lost a heap of money in the games before.

AnteCantelope on
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, I tend to go for the trips in Keystone and it's served me pretty well. I don't win very often but it's been a net gain for me every time.

Still can't win that last fucking spinnerbox tournament though..

Silpheed on
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, I tend to go for the trips in Keystone and it's served me pretty well. I don't win very often but it's been a net gain for me every time.

Just keep mashing A, and read a book or something while you do it. It's not exactly hard or anything, it just takes ages.

AnteCantelope on
    edited February 2009

Just keep mashing A, and read a book or something while you do it. It's not exactly hard or anything, it just takes ages.
    I know, it's just tedious as fuck. The Picture in Picture advice was a good one. I think I'll watch a movie while I hit the A button like an overstimulated rhesus monkey.

Silpheed on
    edited February 2009

I know, it's just tedious as fuck. The Picture in Picture advice was a good one. I think I'll watch a movie while I hit the A button like an overstimulated rhesus monkey.

Ya know, I've looked up the ring you get from that and...
    It's an engagment ring, that only increases the amount of good points you get + some purity vs any other kind of ring...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2009

Ya know, I've looked up the ring you get from that and...
    It's an engagment ring, that only increases the amount of good points you get + some purity vs any other kind of ring...
    Unimpressive, but it might be worth some cash. Also, you get an achievement for winning the tournament. So it might still be worth finishing.

AnteCantelope on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tons of fun in this post.

Anybody wanna trade the gender swap potion? I just got into the room and I'm chillin' out til somebody offers to help out. Also looking to get the online achievements, and last but not least, I have a spare Theresa doll. Gamer Tag's Crappy Jack, if'n yer interested.

l337CrappyJack on
  • I am PacalI am Pacal Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    WTF, this makes no sense. I just had a lesbian threesome with two whores and the game said I had commited an immoral act.

Let's see: lesbian + threesome + whores = It's all good, right?

Peter Molyneux must be one sick, twisted bastard.

I am Pacal on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Immoral is bad. :P

urahonky on
  • I am PacalI am Pacal Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Immoral is bad. :P

Even if I tip them really, really well?

I am Pacal on
  • JulesJules Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Alright, I just picked up the game and started playing. I have a few questions:

1. How do I engage the "slow motion" mode? I got in the groove during a big fight the other night and I thoroughly enjoyed watching my main character kick ass repeatedly in slow motion. (I one-shotted a bandit in the head at long distance, and watching him pitch backward in slow-mo was neat. When I drew my sword, many more bandits fell in slow-mo).

2. As a will-user: Is there any point in leveling will skills other than maybe time stop and shock?

3. When do your kids grow out of the crib? I assume you can only have one crumb-snatcher in the crib at a time before making another?

Having loads of fun, and the DLC was a blast. Next stop: the spire!

Jules on
    (USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST)
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jules wrote: »
    Alright, I just picked up the game and started playing. I have a few questions:

1. How do I engage the "slow motion" mode? I got in the groove during a big fight the other night and I thoroughly enjoyed watching my main character kick ass repeatedly in slow motion. (I one-shotted a bandit in the head at long distance, and watching him pitch backward in slow-mo was neat. When I drew my sword, many more bandits fell in slow-mo).

2. As a will-user: Is there any point in leveling will skills other than maybe time stop and shock?

3. When do your kids grow out of the crib? I assume you can only have one crumb-snatcher in the crib at a time before making another?

Having loads of fun, and the DLC was a blast. Next stop: the spire!

1) well there's time stop, which puts everything but you in slow motion if you don't use it as the teleport, but I'm sure you knew that. As for the slow-motion thing, as far as I can tell it's just random when you do something that kills the hell out of an enemy. Like a flourish attack with a bigass mace into an already half dead person will very often put you in slow motion.

2) I pretty much just did what you did, but eventually I put points into blades, because it can do a whole lot of damage as a single target spell. My spells were usually:
    Rank 1: time stop
    Rank 2: anything I wanted to mess around with, but I rarely used this spell at all
    Rank 3: Time stop
    Rank 4: Blades
    Rank 5: Shock

3) I can't comment on children since I keep killing my wives. However, on my good play through, I did have a kid who was in the cradle but in my specific case, I can't tell you when/how they grow up without spoiling the story for you. I don't know if there's another way they grow up besides the way it happened to me.

Dissociater on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm pretty sure kids only grow up during a specific moment in the story. I don't know how many you can have, or if you can have more than one per spouse.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think you can only have one kid (at least per wife) prior to a certain point in the story. After that you can have more. I only have one wife but two kids.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited February 2009
    I've been trying to have a second child with my spouses since the kids started growing up, but I can't seem to get past one per. any tips?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Boxers rather than briefs?

In all seriousness I don't think there's anything you can do but keep boffing.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Kids can grow out of the crib without needing the story moment.

FyreWulff on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Kids can grow out of the crib without needing the story moment.

Right, but I'm pretty sure they won't grow until that point. After that it's just gametime I think.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited February 2009
    So I have two characters, one finished the game and the other is on his way. This game was a blast, I can't believe I didn't buy it sooner.

ENDGAME spoiler
    First character was a good-natured warrior/marksman. He was the super-pure hero who was beloved by all (including wife and kids). He loves to help people, brag about it, drink, and then chase the local barmaids. When it came down to it though, he couldn't bring himself to make the ultimate sacrifice.

Second character is a will-user, a loner type who doesn't care about what others think of him. He doesn't talk to anyone (outside of business) or flirt. Ever. He spends most of his time opening demon doors and hunting down artifacts. He uses magic in public all of the time (time stop + direction stick = fun.) This is the character that will sacrifice his vitality, looks, and family for the good of the world that hates and fears him.

That lands me both achievements too.

Jules on
    edited February 2009
    There's a third achievement too, for the last choice :P

FyreWulff on
    edited February 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    There's a third achievement too, for the last choice :P

Evil playthough to happen at a later date.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Everything happened as was suggested above.

Jules on
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I started playing this game and while it is fun so far it is locking up *so* much.

troublebrewing on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I started playing this game and while it is fun so far it is locking up *so* much.

Tried an HD install? Makes a noticeable difference on load times (especially in menus) as well.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited February 2009

Tried an HD install? Makes a noticeable difference on load times (especially in menus) as well.

That did it for me. HD install + latest patches = one crash in two weeks of playing.

Jules on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I didn't see a new Fable II thread so I thought I'd bring this back to post some news instead of creating a new one: more DLC on the way!

I should be getting Fable II through Goozex in the next couple days, so it's good to know there's even more content in the pipeline in some form.

JihadJesus on
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I beat the Knothole Island DLC the other day.

I hate the switch puzzles. They're so frustrating.

Nimble Cat on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I didn't see a new Fable II thread so I thought I'd bring this back to post some news instead of creating a new one: more DLC on the way!

I should be getting Fable II through Goozex in the next couple days, so it's good to know there's even more content in the pipeline in some form.

I'll honestly believe it when I'm bitching about it being too short.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • stratslingerstratslinger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You know, I'm just starting to realize I'm playing this game almost out of a sense of obligation... My wife got it for me for Valentine's day, and it IS an enjoyable game... But after just coming off of Mass Effect and Fallout 3, it's just not grabbing me in the same way. Hard to put a finger on why.

I think that having the yellow trail all the time heightens the linearity of the game... Maybe that's it. I know that Mass Effect, despite its attempt at side quests, was super linear, but it was framed well enough that it didn't feel limiting. Fallout 3, unless you just stuck to the story, was wide open for exploration. But Fable? I really dug the first one. The second, not as much.

stratslinger on
    edited March 2009
    Try wandering away from the gold trail sometime. I think it actually helped exploration because you always had a way to get back on track, whereas games like Oblivion, I tended to just go towards the objective because if I strayed too far away I'd never find my way back again.

FyreWulff on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Really? I found the second one way more involving than the first, and hold it in a special place in my heart. It wasn't that open, but It was open enough to tell a fair story.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.