As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] It was the best of times- It was the WAAAAGH of times. <<Closed>>

• Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh yeah, its a pretty crappy RR, but I guess they were going for the world first, actual renown rank be damned.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ugh, the NoMovie mod isn't being hosted anymore. :x

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And tanks get to play with themselves outside the postern door :P

Or do they get a differently named skill? Not that it really matters, this skill seems kind of situational at best.

The skill is excellent for mopping up lightly defended keeps. No more dealing with one guy trying to farm RP using oil while you steamroll a keep. I don't think it is that useful on keeps that have actual defense, since MDPS gets melted pretty easy. If you were really coordinated you could probably make a pretty sweet 4 MDPS, 2 Pocket Healers group though.

And tanks don't need to sit at the postern. They have an actual role, in that they can beat on the keep door and man rams far easier than MDPS since they have Big Boy Mitigation. I die a little inside whenever I see a WH trying to beat on a door with oil up. I just know he will die sooner or later.

On a happy note, I just got my last Anni piece after acheiving RR44 and almost maxing all my ORvR influence bars.

Saammiel on
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    So, I'm not really sure how I should play a Blackguard in PvP.

I have no problem playing a tank in PvE, but in PvP, what's my role? I don't do that much damage and I don't really live that long (especially not against 5 slayers AoEing our entire team in 5 seconds.).

So what should I try to do and how should I try to equip myself?

The general opinion of Black Guards is at the moment they are most effective when oriented towards pure defense. You probably aren't going to be killing anyone, but you might provide a big enough distraction for your allies to move in, particularly if you get some good healing support.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hiravaxis wrote: »
    Drool wrote: »
    I seem to remember Mark Jacobs talking about AOC closing and merging servers and how that was a really bad sign for any MMO to be doing that.

Has he reversed his stance on this subject now that his own MMO seems to be scaling back?
    Regardless of MJ's comments on AOC, this is the right move for the game.

He hasn't explicitly reversed his stance. He's just giving the players what they want.
    It's a tough call, but again, it's the right call.

I respect and appreciate their ongoing commitment to the game.

Well it really makes you wonder about the health of their game. I mean cutting like 80% of your servers means you really didn't meet expectations.

Drool on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Entaru wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    So, I'm not really sure how I should play a Blackguard in PvP.

I have no problem playing a tank in PvE, but in PvP, what's my role? I don't do that much damage and I don't really live that long (especially not against 5 slayers AoEing our entire team in 5 seconds.).

So what should I try to do and how should I try to equip myself?

My favorite thing to do was to guard a DoK and wreck havoc with them. Baring that I would just try and tick off the enemy side so much they wasted time trying to kill me, making my DPS and Healers get a free ride.

Pointing an laughing helps.

You won't top any charts, but it feels useful at least.

Your Blackguard is young, dont worry about it now as you will be able to take a beating later if you keep at it. For my BG in keep defense scenarios I sword and board it, use siege weapons and keep an eye on healers until the doors are breached, then its a shield wall to keep the attackers from getting up the ramp.

Once you have some good gear (T2 orvr inf reward armor and weapons) you can take a beating and dish out some love with a nice procing polearm. Our hate based AOE attack is amazing and with two tactics you can spam them non stop almost.

Our knockback is the longest in the game tho it does take a sec to charge up to 90+ hate but when you hit a guy with it they go sailing.

Just got all the T3 armor/weapons as well as full devastator armor, at level 30 I can last pretty long against multiple attackers, our bubble is useful , always fire it off when you can.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    On a side note if you have a Slayer and go to the character transfer section of the Account Management page they still show up as a Hammerer.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I seem to remember Mark Jacobs talking about AOC closing and merging servers and how that was a really bad sign for any MMO to be doing that.

Has he reversed his stance on this subject now that his own MMO seems to be scaling back?

He hasn't explicitly reversed his stance. He's just giving the players what they want.

Well it really makes you wonder about the health of their game. I mean cutting like 80% of your servers means you really didn't meet expectations.

Again, please refer to my earlier post that points out that Mythic didn't want to release all those servers in the first place. Beta testers were afraid of huge queues so they clamored for more release servers than they originally planned. Mythic gave in, against their better judgement. Cut to some time later, after the MMO toursts have left, players realize that there were too many servers, and asked for the mergers.

Just ask any poster that has been here since beta/launch, they'll corroborate this.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hiryu02 wrote: »

Again, please refer to my earlier post that points out that Mythic didn't want to release all those servers in the first place. Beta testers were afraid of huge queues so they clamored for more release servers than they originally planned. Mythic gave in, against their better judgement. Cut to some time later, after the MMO toursts have left, players realize that there were too many servers, and asked for the mergers.

Just ask any poster that has been here since beta/launch, they'll corroborate this.

Essentially this is it. A shit ton of people who just wanted a free game pre-ordered for the open beta access and then cancelled their pre-orders. This vastly inflated the game's population in beta, and players demanded more servers to avoid queues. Then beta ended, that massive crowd that just wanted a free game left, and then there were tons of servers barren of population.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

The game should have launched with about a dozen servers. Mark caved to fans and, by release, there were something like 40. For a game that requires hundreds on each side at any given time, having 400% more servers than you needed in the start is a pretty big mistake.

WAR isn't so much reducing servers, as cleaning up the mess of MJ (and the beta testers') epic fuckup. Ending up with the 15-20 or so now is a net gain from where they *should* have started, though lower than where it would have been otherwise. Joining a low pop server for WAR was likely a good recipe for quitting (unlike, say, WoW, where only a few dozen people in your immediate vicinity still allows you to experience all the content).

Honestly, this is entirely different from the type of server merges he was talking about. If the original dozen or so were being merged down, he'd be going back on his statement.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Good news guys, I've got my third subscription! Just one more for the collar (and rod) of service. :D

6 Invitations left, someone wants to help mes out?

Lucky Cynic on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

That's a meaningless statement if the expectations were 80% larger than the actual demand.

Context makes a difference.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Saammiel wrote: »

Or do they get a differently named skill? Not that it really matters, this skill seems kind of situational at best.

The skill is excellent for mopping up lightly defended keeps. No more dealing with one guy trying to farm RP using oil while you steamroll a keep. I don't think it is that useful on keeps that have actual defense, since MDPS gets melted pretty easy. If you were really coordinated you could probably make a pretty sweet 4 MDPS, 2 Pocket Healers group though.

And tanks don't need to sit at the postern. They have an actual role, in that they can beat on the keep door and man rams far easier than MDPS since they have Big Boy Mitigation. I die a little inside whenever I see a WH trying to beat on a door with oil up. I just know he will die sooner or later.

On a happy note, I just got my last Anni piece after acheiving RR44 and almost maxing all my ORvR influence bars.

I know they don't, I was just making a snarky comment about the lack of a postern door invading skill. I'd much rather have the door healing one though.

chasehatesbears on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2009
    Unfortunately some servers are a little too populated, and everything you try to do becomes a huge clusterfuck. I know trying to get Annihilator armor is about impossible when you need to get a few gold bags with 200 people in the siege.

A duck! on
    edited March 2009
    Why do vendors not always have set pieces? Supposedly the Devastator shoulders can be bought, but I've never seen 'em in a T3 keep. I missed something somewhere.

I have found a spec that works quite well; lots of Toughness, Weapon Skill, and some Strength, prodigious use of Supression and Blast Wave/Quake. Especially tough for MDPS when I parry all their stuff and mess with their meagre wounds and resists. I just came out of a scenario where I topped non dps classes and killed a Slayer (my first) a half dozen times over.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Why do vendors not always have set pieces? Supposedly the Devastator shoulders can be bought, but I've never seen 'em in a T3 keep. I missed something somewhere.

I have found a spec that works quite well; lots of Toughness, Weapon Skill, and some Strength, prodigious use of Supression and Blast Wave/Quake. Especially tough for MDPS when I parry all their stuff and mess with their meagre wounds and resists. I just came out of a scenario where I topped non dps classes and killed a Slayer (my first) a half dozen times over.

It doesn't show if your Renown Rank isn't high enough, as per the Usable checkbox?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I know they don't, I was just making a snarky comment about the lack of a postern door invading skill. I'd much rather have the door healing one though.

Uh, oil is not physical damage.

Tanks suffer the same resist cap as everyone else. All they get is a shield. How many tanks with shields do you see beating on the average door?

(Oil can be blocked AND dodged, so hold the line affects it. If you had a few shield tanks spamming hold the line right at the front of the door you could have tones of wh pounding on it, it'd be fine)

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    They need to add a new support weapon, the orc lobba. It would set up on ranged platforms and tanks could interact with it to be hurled onto/over/into the walls. 50% chance of ending up somewhere on the wall, 25% chance of ending up in the yard, 25% chance to smacking face first into the wall.

Right now you only need so many tanks manning the battering ram, everyone else is just soaking up AOE damage and dying in the .2 seconds it takes coordinated BW AOE to wipe out warbands.

MDPS can only do so much with pick lock, and considering defense tanks have little to do aside from a 3 minute cooldown at RR 45 dealing with the tanks landing in the yard would give them something to do.

For inner keeps there needs to be ladders that would allow tanks to scale the wall. This way tanks can run around knocking people off the battlements. A simple mechanic could be added to prevent the lord being killed by an MDPS tank zerg. This would give melee more to do that die in AOEs, or attempt to sneak in and die due to little support except from other MDPS.

Further more I would revamp the keep loot system either with tokens, or an opt in separate crafting roll. If you already had your gold bag equipment you could instead choose (or be forced if you had better gear) to roll for crafting bags. They would contain the silver, crafting supplies, and if you won a gold crafting bag a gold salvaging item. The loot from the regular item bags would in turn not be salvageable.

Detharin on
    edited March 2009

It doesn't show if your Renown Rank isn't high enough, as per the Usable checkbox?

Dammit. Yeah, that's exactly it. I'm one short. Thanks.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited March 2009

Uh, oil is not physical damage.

Tanks suffer the same resist cap as everyone else. All they get is a shield. How many tanks with shields do you see beating on the average door?

(Oil can be blocked AND dodged, so hold the line affects it. If you had a few shield tanks spamming hold the line right at the front of the door you could have tones of wh pounding on it, it'd be fine)

Yes, but they do have tons more HP, and resist the other AoEs that you usually see a lot better, so they don't get spiked nearly as often. Come on, man.

A duck! on
    edited March 2009
    We don't resist the other AoE's a lot better. We just have more health and pray for a decent healer.

With the current state of AoE's defended keep sieges/fortress sieges are pretty much impossible.

Detharin on
    edited March 2009
    Detharin wrote: »
    We don't resist the other AoE's a lot better. We just have more health and pray for a decent healer.

With the current state of AoE's defended keep sieges/fortress sieges are pretty much impossible.

Can WH/WE actually cap their resists? I thought they couldn't.

A duck! on
    edited March 2009
    With the ability to debuff resistances and ive been crit at cap for 900 by rain of fire it doesn't currently matter if anyone can cap resistances/wield a shield/have more health.

Get enough casters together and noone is going to survive the AOE long enough to destroy a door.

Detharin on
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    with regards to the surplus of servers at the start and then the sudden drop off leaving most of us on dead servers i can tell you for a fact that lead to about 80% of the people i was playing with quitting back to wow. i've been through 3 servers on destro before i got anything like the density of rvr the game needs.

for things to do with a blackguard right now, snb aoe spam into the slayer throng with a couple of other tanks to get their attention, and then gratuitous use of hold the line whilst your rdps burn them down is gonna be the way to go. just pray someone bothered to roll a healer.

manji on
    edited March 2009
    I think it would be safe to say that WAR could easily be at 400k+ if there were less servers at launch. Queues increase anticipation. Lack of RvR sent people away.

Also, you shouldn't be destroying doors on a defended keep. You should be bringing them down to 10% or so then going to the next keep to try to draw the defenders there.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    How's the healing ability on Shammies? Worth a roll? Or fuck it?

Kazaka on
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kazaka wrote: »

Zealots tend to complain about their lack of a class feature. DoK's are ridiculously powerful. Shammies complain about lack of itemization at endgame.

They're fine healers, damage tends to be meh.

Carnarvon on
    edited March 2009
    Sooo...now that I have Thorsten at 40, do I go with my Squig Herder or Choppa? I'm tempted to use my Choppa since I unlocked him, but he'd pretty much do the same thing as Thorsten, but die even faster. Then again, it seems the Herders are a primary target from what I'm reading, so I'd need to hide in bushes or behind something in most fights. That could be fun though. I'm leaning towards the herder just because of playing ranged after all my time on the front line.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    edited March 2009
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Kazaka wrote: »

Zealots tend to complain about their lack of a class feature. DoK's are ridiculously powerful. Shammies complain about lack of itemization at endgame.

They're fine healers, damage tends to be meh.

For pure healing, I'd go Zealot. For completely destroying your opponents and just happening to do some decent group healing on the side, go DoK. My Shaman has been sitting unused for months, and it was painful leveling solo when I had to play solo.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Also, you shouldn't be destroying doors on a defended keep. You should be bringing them down to 10% or so then going to the next keep to try to draw the defenders there.

don't give away our secrets... we do this a lot. What's even better is when destruction takes a keep (playing as order of course) and they don't clear the keep before leaving. If it's a complete lost cause, it's not unheard of to have a pack of candymancers doing a last stand in a defenseable position somewhere inside (on the walls, in a corner, on the 3rd floor, etc.). It gets funny when they never come after us and leave us inside their keep. Then we just pull out a ram and start beating on the inner door, get it down to about 20%, then beat on the inside of the outer door while calling in reinforcements. Two minutes later you have a keep. We pulled this trick last week and ended up flipping the zone for us a little while later.

Good times. :)

WolveSight on
    253J736.png
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm seeing very very few Witch Elves at high levels.

Also, ugh. Got nothing but order guild scenarios tonight on my WElf, which meant healers had buddies beside them. Not good for me.

Oats on
    edited March 2009
    Oh yeah, almost forgot. Morsk, your homework for the next few weeks is to get in contact with some guys in whatever the name of the alliance is, and get us back in so we can start gearing up. Right now the only guild name I can remember off the top of my head is Hammerfist Clan.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • HiravaxisHiravaxis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Arkady wrote: »
    Conversely: http://andrefischer.ch/2008/12/how-to-skip-the-intro-in-warhammer-online-reloaded/

Hiravaxis on
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    10 days free War for reactivating account?

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dis wrote: »
    10 days free War for reactivating account?

Yep! If you have been inactive for 60days, you can come back with just clicking the 10 day trial OR by being a swell guy and using one of our invitations so we can get a free 30days for it in case you resubscribe.

If you want an invitation, just PM me your Email. :D

Lucky Cynic on
    edited March 2009
    https://accounts.eamythic.com/war/reactivate
    Guess I will be reactivating 8-)

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Need a root.. as a zealot... dont have it yet... my rank 15 skill is worthless.

hoping 16 will be better.

Jasconius on
  • SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Detharin wrote: »

They have far more toughness than any other archetype. So they do defend better. Stacked AEs are a seperate issue.

Saammiel on
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Arkady wrote: »
    Conversely: http://andrefischer.ch/2008/12/how-to-skip-the-intro-in-warhammer-online-reloaded/

Thanks, that skips the movie but still leaves all the damn logos :(

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
    edited March 2009
    655MB of patches :(
    *can't wait to kill Slayers

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.