As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cannot connect to the MySQL database?

ScottScott Registered User regular
The Forum wrote:
Sorry, but this board is currently unavailable. Please try again later.

The forums can not connect to the MySQL database.

So, since I came back, I've been getting this error fairly frequently. I'd say at least once every five minutes. If I go back and then follow the link again, more often than not it works fine. Is this just me or...?

Scott on

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    :shock:

S-scott?! Holy shit!

Um... to answer the question, basically too many people are connecting to the website. It's comic day.

Henroid on
  • ScottScott Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Yep, I'm sort of back.

I figured it was something like that, and I know the site's been flaky for a month or so, but I thought it was worth asking since it's been happening for the last few days.

Scott on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    It happens.

The last month thing is us moving from a 10 webserver + 1 database server cluster -> 1 web\database combo server.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited March 2005
    I was having odd posting problems, and now that I've logged out, restarted my browser, and logged back in, I'm getting this error almost literally every other link.

Scott on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2005
    I kept getting a "Could not load page" error, then I cleared my cache and it works fine now.

Got like three or four MySQL errors today.

Garlic Bread on
  • JasonJason Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Scott wrote:
    I was having odd posting problems, and now that I've logged out, restarted my browser, and logged back in, I'm getting this error almost literally every other link.
    Well one of the reasons why it happens every other link is because this website relies on the DB...maybe a little tooo much

Jason on
    Do you pay attention to all those signs at the gas pump telling you to to make sure your car, cell phone, PDA, pacemaker, etc. are all turned off before you start pumping?
    edited March 2005
    It's not so much the errors themselves I worry about as the fact that I get them so much more frequently than others.

Scott on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Is not that MySQL error the message it gives now for too many connections, instead of blowing up with those cryptic PHP error reports.

Jasconius on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    It happens.
    This is an absolutely random question, but did you ever end up using any of those 10 new avatar hats that Legacy made? (in response to one of AlphaBot's riddles when you guys locked the G&T chat thread "for good")

Captain K on
    edited March 2005
    Captain K wrote:
    It happens.
    This is an absolutely random question, but did you ever end up using any of those 10 new avatar hats that Legacy made? (in response to one of AlphaBot's riddles when you guys locked the G&T chat thread "for good")
    Yes, check my hat listing.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Captain K wrote:
    It happens.
    It does seem pretty long now, I just couldn't remember if any of them were made by Legacy.

Captain K on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    PS alpha can I steal whatever host you're using for my php script I made

no

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    If it helps I find if you get this error message when trying to acsess a page or forum, hit back on your browser then press forwads. 99% of the time it will load the page you were trying to get to origonally

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited April 2005
    MySQL locked again. 12:25cst. Fixed by 12:30cst. Table corruptions suck.

Älphämönkëy on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2005
    Captain K wrote:
    Captain K wrote:
    It happens.
    It does seem pretty long now, I just couldn't remember if any of them were made by Legacy.

Um...probably 3/4ths of them were made by me. :P

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2005
    MySQL locked again. 12:25cst. Fixed by 12:30cst. Table corruptions suck.

I'll take PostgreSQL for the win, Merv!

Unknown User on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2005
    Is there anyway to minimize these errors. I like being able to read the comic, the newspost, and forum in a timely manner.

Dynagrip on
    edited April 2005
    Sure, Dyna. If you want to simply police the world and only allow so many users to access the PA site at any given time, you'll get rid of all the errors.

Unknown User on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Sure, Dyna. If you want to simply police the world and only allow so many users to access the PA site at any given time, you'll get rid of all the errors.
    Well, we could close SE++, for a start.

Salvation122 on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2005
    Do I get a gun and a badge?

Dynagrip on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2005
    Or... and I know this may seem a step backwards for some...

We can split the different realms into sperate DB instances. Put the comic on a different instance from the forums, put the on topic on a seperate instance from the artists and SE++...

But at that point, for best practice, we are talking about multiple computers again, something alpha said they have moved away from.

As it is, I have gotten about 20 of them today, and find my self copying my posts before i click on submit, because the server has a tendency to do it to me when i post.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited April 2005
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Is there anyway to minimize these errors. I like being able to read the comic, the newspost, and forum in a timely manner.
    $35/hour

Älphämönkëy on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2005
    Dynagrip wrote:
    $35/hour

So for the price of a cup of coffee from each forumer every day, we could have five nines reliability from our SQL?

If it could be arranged, I'm game.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited April 2005
    Maybe this is all part of some insidious plan to introduce an error free and functional subscription version of PA.

Fuck, I hope Khoo doesn't read that.

If you ego search this, Khoo, let it be known that the word on the street is that you're a tool.

Dynagrip on
    edited April 2005
    Dynagrip wrote:
    $35/hour

:shock: That's staggeringly cheap. Especially considering it'd take several hours at least to clean up this place.

Unknown User on
  • Solid_Snake-aSolid_Snake-a Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    syndalis wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:
    $35/hour

So for the price of a cup of coffee from each forumer every day, we could have five nines reliability from our SQL?

I don't see how that could ever really be feasible.

I can think of hells of problems straight off the top of my head.

Solid_Snake-a on
    edited April 2005
    syndalis wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:
    $35/hour

I don't see how that could ever really be feasible.

I can think of hells of problems straight off the top of my head.

Oh, so can I.

I can see people paying monthly dues wanting refunds if the server goes down for a few days, expecting more because they are paying for a service, etc...

I would go about it as a donation, loosely connected to a service with no guarantees, but many people may not be comfortable about that.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited April 2005
    Dynagrip wrote:
    $35/hour

:shock: That's staggeringly cheap. Especially considering it'd take several hours at least to clean up this place.
    Thats an open source price. Commercial projects don't get off as easily :wink:

And re: a donation system, syndalis has it right. People would expect things of me that I don't want them to expect. If PA starts paying me that is a different story, my work is running the site that brings in their income. That I have no problem with. But asking money from the users? Not cool.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited April 2005
    I don't understand why you volunteer so much of your time and effort to the site. Maybe I'm a shit but it seems like G&T have a way of taking things for granted and somehow I think Khoo exacerbates that.

Dynagrip on
    edited April 2005
    Dynagrip wrote:
    I don't understand why you volunteer so much of your time and effort to the site. Maybe I'm a shit but it seems like G&T have a way of taking things for granted and somehow I think Khoo exacerbates that.
    Ask any mod why they moderate here. It is a fun excersise and it is interesting to see the answers. Simply put, I am able to help them out, so I do. I enjoy helping people, which is why I started moderating G&T (before H/A was around)

From a "personal gains" persepctive, working here at PA has taught me a lot, things I would not be able to learn as quickly (and some things I would have never been exposed to). I have learned a lot of really cool things while working here, this past month workin with Sean has been a blast. Because of my work here, I have a lot of contacts in different areas, and most importantly, I have some solid references to put in my resume. I enjoy programming, to a degree I program to unwind much like people play video games. Robert is a good buisness man, and while a lot of people don't like him, he has always been very nice to me. While I will talk about finances with him, it is not something I am in a big hurry over.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited April 2005
    You hear that? Be on the lookout for Experience: Penny Arcade Forum Administrator on a resume showing near you!

And I don't really have any sort of impression about Robert Khoo other than the times he comes to SE++ to talk about how much he sucks, supposedly.

Paladin on
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2005
    Paladin wrote:
    You hear that? Be on the lookout for Experience: Penny Arcade Forum Administrator on a resume showing near you!

And I don't really have any sort of impression about Robert Khoo other than the times he comes to SE++ to talk about how much he sucks, supposedly.

Oh man that Robert guy is such a fucking dink man I hate him so so so soooooo much.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited April 2005
    ok.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
    edited April 2005
    Well, you did.

I mean just look at your title

Paladin on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2005
    fuck mysql

let's just carve things in rocks and throw them at each other

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2005
    ok.

HI!!!!

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH