As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kevin Church yells at people.

2»

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'd say editing down is less of an issue than what they add in.

It wasn't the things that got left out of the V for Vendetta movie that upset me, it was stupid shit like making Evey an overt love interest.

In any event, the fact of the matter is that comics do not sell well anymore. Movies are about the only way 95% of the world will know anything about Watchmen or anything else that isn't Spider-Man or Batman or one of the other handful of comic characters who have worked their way into mainstream consciousness.

And on that note, can anyone name a single comic book character created after the 60s that qualifies? The only one I can think of that even comes close is Wolverine.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Bloods End on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ...you win this round, Bloods End

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited February 2007
    160px-Donaldfaison4x15.jpg

NOW GIVE ME YOUR TATER TOTS

Bloods End on
    edited February 2007
    what

that dude has a frightening stare

either that or he's dead

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    so yeah I tend not to buy comics I don't like, and I keep my pull list pretty scant.

Sars_Boy on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    what

either that or he's dead

Brown Bear lives, be ever watchful for him.

Marathon on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited February 2007
    The rant on the first page is exactly the kind of thing that pisses me off about a lot of comic book fans, and people in general. That whole thing was elitist garbage. I don't like Black Panther so I don't buy it. But I don't shit on the people that enjoy it, either.

And the "OH MY GOD THEY RAISED THE PRICE WHY DO YOU GUYS STILL BUY IT" thing is absolute crap. If people stopped buying comics because of price-increases the industry would have gone under in the fifties. It's called inflation, damn it.

DJ Eebs on
    edited February 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    so yeah I tend not to buy comics I don't like, and I keep my pull list pretty scant.
    I think at my height I bought like a dozen titles a month

Geebs: Inflation is part of it, but it's also the rising price of paper, which is also not the comic publishers' fault.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007

And on that note, can anyone name a single comic book character created after the 60s that qualifies? The only one I can think of that even comes close is Wolverine.
    the punisher (not that he was made up a long time after the 60s)

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    Yes

The best thing for the comics industry is if everyone stops buying comics

if it is the only way companies will learn from their mistakes then yes, people should quit rewarding failure and business practices that they don't like

Algertman on
    edited February 2007
    Because it won't attract new people to the medium?

Because seeing it in another medium won't be fresh or exciting?

not if it's terrible

Algertman on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Maybe it'd help if Moore, you know, didn't let his comics become movies instead of sitting back and washing his hands of the associated projects...

But hey, back in the real world I think he needed the money.

Thinking of pricing/comic loyalty, when Marvel UK's inhouse team exploded (I don't think it was the first time) I remember missing Death's Head II. Always intended as a short-run I'm sure, but when sales lagged a little- despite a huge jump to start off with- they may have decided not to take it further anyway. Mind you, it's just as likely that a Death's Head-obsessed friend of mine took it into his head to attack the sequel's production team, permanently crippling Marvel UK in the process.

Seriously, he took it really personally when DH1 got killed off. And then took it really personally when DH2 vanished off the universe. I haven't heard from him since DH3.0 appeared, but I suspect he spends much of his free time trying to lick Simon Furman.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Algertman wrote: »
    Yes

if it is the only way companies will learn from their mistakes then yes, people should quit rewarding failure and business practices that they don't like

Thats the problem with the logic you're using. Big corporations don't learn. Know why? They aren't people.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited February 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Maybe it'd help if Moore, you know, didn't let his comics become movies instead of sitting back and washing his hands of the associated projects...

I don't think Alan Moore owns the movie rights to any of the comics he's done for DC (and by extension, Wildstorm).

I could be wrong; but I think most of the comic companies make sure that those rights fall to them.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    yeah, he doesn't take any money for comics based on stuff he wrote. he demands that it go to the artists and that you stop calling him

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »

I don't think Alan Moore owns the movie rights to any of the comics he's done for DC (and by extension, Wildstorm).

I could be wrong; but I think most of the comic companies make sure that those rights fall to them.

This is correct. DC owns the rights to all of the graphic novels of Moore's that have been made into movies thus far. He has no say in whether they get made, and has voluntarily given up his share of the cash from any films or merchandising thereof. He's asked that his name be taken off any movies made from his material (if you watch V for Vendetta, you'll see the credits read "Based on the graphic novel by David Lloyd", with no mention of Moore at all).

He's even gone so far as to demand that DC remove his name from any current and future print runs of the actual comics. DC would never actually honor that request, but that's how much he despises what's been done to his work.

Vargas Prime on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I guess that means no Lost Girls movie, then?

Dang.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well, Lost Girls is his own work, so if Alan Moore wanted a movie made from it, he could choose who, where, and how it gets made.

But he never would. Honestly, there was no real reason to make any of his previous work into movies, either. I can't even imagine that Watchmen will be good.

Vargas Prime on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Servo wrote: »
    yeah, he doesn't take any money for comics based on stuff he wrote. he demands that it go to the artists and that you stop calling him

But I want to hang out in the magic cave

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
    edited February 2007
    Algertman wrote: »
    Yes

Thats the problem with the logic you're using. Big corporations don't learn. Know why? They aren't people.

they are ran people, though some people would call them Satan's Servants, if the bottom line is effected in a negative way they'll change things.

Algertman on
    edited February 2007
    kdrudy wrote: »

Nobody wants a magick cave!

Conditional_Axe on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    kdrudy wrote: »

Nobody wants a magick cave!

Be fair, everybody wants a magick cave.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited February 2007
    Well, Lost Girls is his own work, so if Alan Moore wanted a movie made from it, he could choose who, where, and how it gets made.

But he never would. Honestly, there was no real reason to make any of his previous work into movies, either. I can't even imagine that Watchmen will be good.
    This thinking always baffles me.

Man, I'm pretty upset that The Ten Commandments got made into a movie, because the Bible was pretty good in its own right.

Conditional_Axe on
  • siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Personally, there are certain comics that fit better into tradeback format. Sandman, Lucifer, and Hellboy all come to mind with epic story arcs.

I've bought a few GI Joe or Transformers comics, but I tend to stick with tradebacks. I'd rather have a book I can read as opposed to some sort of flier mess I don't really know what to do with.

siliconenhanced on
    edited February 2007

I'd dig a Top Ten movie.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

This thinking always baffles me.

Man, I'm pretty upset that The Ten Commandments got made into a movie, because the Bible was pretty good in its own right.

If Watchmen was made with epic feeling and scale that the Ten Commandments or say Lord of the Rings was, very few would complain or have a right to.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    To be honest, I'm not sure Watchmen will make all that good of a movie. It seems to me that story is really only important to fans of the super-hero genre, unless the moviemakers can draw out some larger lessons about democracy and tyranny. Unfortunately, I don't think those larger lessons can be drawn out without beating the viewer over the head with them.

Most of what make Watchmen so great as a comic book depends on it being a comic book. Moore pushed the boundaries of comics, not movies. There's about ten different movies in Watchmen, and trying to translate them all to the screen would be too much for one film.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    To be honest I'd actually have to agree with Church on the point that Watchmen couldn't make a good movie: if only because 120 minutes (or whatever) is too damn short a time period to portray that kind of story.

That said, I honestly didn't think V for Vendetta was all bad- but, conversely, I honestly can't see Watchmen making a great film. I would happily be proved wrong, however, even if it involved marching naked through Carlisle on market day.

Oh, incidentally, I actually bothered to check these things and you guys are quite right: Moore did wash his hands of the projects, but that's because DC already appeared to have cut them off. Jeez. God forbid a creator gets a contract that treats them like something more than factory machinery...

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I didn't know what Hellboy was before I saw the movie. Saw it, loved it, went and bought a couple of the trades.

I didn't know what sin city was when it was about to come out, and so I bought the trades in the movie before it did, then went and saw it, then bought the rest.

Point is, without either of the movies, I wouldn't have made any of the purchases. Just consider it an advertisement.

However , it is frustrating getting people to read the source material after the movie has gotten a bad rap. I love turning on my buddies to good reads, but I still haven't convinced any of them to read V for Vendetta after the wake of the movie.

Maybe I shouldn't worry about that sort of thing, but I do.

Tylerbroor on
    edited February 2007
    Marathon wrote: »
    what

either that or he's dead

Brown Bear lives, be ever watchful for him.

Guy love?

Bloods End on
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    I am not buying Jeff Smith's Shazam mini-series until it hits trades to send the message that $6 an issue is seriously fucking ridiculous

It's prestige format and there are no ads.

I'm not defending it, but I will point out that the same week, 2 other 48-pagers came out.

With less content.

ACTION COMICS ANNUAL
    Price $4.00
    Pages: 48, ads inclusive.
    Pages of actual content: 39 (or 40 if you count the table of contents
    page).
    Cost: 10 cents/page of content.

MONSTER SOCIETY OF EVIL
    PRICE: $6.00
    Pages: 48, prestige format, thick cover, zero advertisements.
    Pages of actual content: 48 (or 50 if you count the cover interiors
    and their coded messages)
    Cost: Less than 13 cents/page of content

CTHULHU TALES : THE RISING
    PRICE: $7.00
    Pages: 48
    Pages of actual content: 46 (there's one ad at the end)
    Cost: A little more than 15 cents/page

Squashua on