As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Battle for Moment of the Week 3/12/09: Mongul or Arkillo?

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Graphic Violence
....That actually worked pretty well up there.

Anyway, GLC #34 wins because it handled 4 different plot points without a problem. And also had some really messed up scenes. Scans below:

The resolution to the Mongul/Arkillo fight:

glc34a-1.jpg

glc34b.jpg

The Kryb babies freak me the hell out:

glc34c.jpg

And also, Scar starts a riot in the Sciencells with a newly captured red lantern.

Battle for the Cowl #1 was decent, but Daniels seems to have skipped over the last few issues of Nightwing and Robin to set up what's going on now.

TexiKen on

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, Guy had the best line in this week's GLC. Definitely my motw so far (although I haven't finished my stack yet).
    "Ya gotta be kidding me -- Green, Yellow, Red, Blue, Violet -- It's like Walt Disney threw up -- What the hell's going on out there?"

Lucascraft on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Man, Guy had the best line in this week's GLC. Definitely my motw so far (although I haven't finished my stack yet).
    "Ya gotta be kidding me -- Green, Yellow, Red, Blue, Violet -- It's like Walt Disney threw up -- What the hell's going on out there?"

Hahaha, that is pretty funny.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So in Batman: BFTC,
    Was that Jason Todd in the batsuit that Catwoman saw?

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Re: BFTC:
    Jason Todd is the gun toting Batman on the last page, as spoiled by DC solicits.

The Aparo-suit Batman is Tim

TexiKen on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Ghost Rider wins.
    "What about the Skrulls? Should we tell her about the Skrulls? HAVE YOU BEEN INVADED BY SKRULLS YET?"

DarkWarrior on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ninjabear wrote: »
    So in Batman: BFTC,
    Was that Jason Todd in the batsuit that Catwoman saw?
    Jason is the gun using one at the end. Tim is in the Batman costume. It even has his text boxes when he's breaking into the underground 'fake Batman's' lair.

KVW on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So does anybody know who the
    guy plugged into all the kidnapped people

was in Invincible Iron Man 11.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So does anybody know who the
    guy plugged into all the kidnapped people

was in Invincible Iron Man 11.

This dude, maybe.

Robos A Go Go on
  • kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Awesome artwork as usual from Rob Levin in Astonishing Tales this week. Greatest laugh was probably from the MODOK story they published.

Battle for the Cowl was pretty cool too.

kfrooster on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wouldn't consider this a MotW per say but seeing a Rob Liefeld uncolored sketch for the first time in the Deadpool hardcover I just bought was pretty eye-opening. How does a colorist even begin to piece together the jumbled mess of lines he produces? I'm referring to the Deadpool #1 variant and it actually looked good as a finished product.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Was anyone else disappointed that Tony's gmail account doesn't really exist?
    Hell yes I tried logging in. Why not?

Crimsondude on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Someone should make it.

Lucascraft on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I tried but it says it already exists. The password doesn't work for it either.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    But ... how will we communicate without being caught by HAMMER surveillance now?

Also I don't even have a moment of the week. I liked Iron Man but there was no single "Wow!" moment in it. I am ready to see Pepper flying around and breaking the sound barrier, although I wonder how this will go when HAMMER shows up 15 seconds later with helicopters and supervillains.

desc on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I thought Ironfist was quite good this week.

I also totally dug Walking Dead as well.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I finally got the Joker hardcover.

Holy fuck.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't follow any of those comics but just looking at that first image (Mongul v. Arkillo)
    Does Mongul have like...brass knuckles of power rings?

UnknownSaint on
    edited March 2009
    I don't follow any of those comics but just looking at that first image (Mongul v. Arkillo)
    Does Mongul have like...brass knuckles of power rings?
    He killed off a few Sinestro Corps members and kept the rings for himself.

TexiKen on
    edited March 2009
    Surprised no one is talking about Action Comics with Flamebird and Nightwing revealed as:
    Supergirl's best friend that was in charge of Kandor (who most were pegging as Superwoman) and Chris Kent suffering from some random Phantom Zone growth spurt things.

Also, there was the list of people FB and NW were after who were all escapees from the Phantom Zone:
    • Tor-An - Nightwing and Flamebird captured this issue
    • Jax-Ur - a rocket & missile engineer who accidentally destroyed one of Krypton's two moons and a populated moon of millions and the only criminal ever sentenced to spend all existence within the Phantom Zone, without the possibility of any kind of parole and is considered Krypton’s worst criminal.
    • Nadira (last name obscured) - a petty criminal with telekinetic powers (oh the conversations she and Superboy would have had)
    • Az-Rel - was a partner with Nadira and is a pyrokinetic
    • Quex-Ul - the only innocent person ever sentenced to the Phantom Zone. Quex-Ul was put in the Phantom Zone for killing a herd of the sacred Rondors. Rondor horns had healing properties and were therefore sacred to Kryptonians. Quex-Ul was caught at the scene of the crime and was convicted and sentenced to 25 Sun Cycles in the Phantom Zone. Superman proved his innocence and released him and Quex-Ul in turn saved Superman from exposure to Gold Kryptonite. However, this information is obviously from the Silver Age and most likely his freedom will be ignored.
    • Car-Vex - I actually know nothing about this Kryptonian. I imagine it's a new character created for this storyline.

Those are all from prior appearances (Golden/Silver Age, etc), so might not apply directly to these descriptions, but thats the list of people the two are trackign down, all of which are plants on Earth by Zod.

KVW on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The Ex Machina special this week was fantastic. I love Vaughan so much.
    Print is dead.

Mai-Kero on
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So Immortal Iron Fist is still really good, and those of you who arent reading it should be ashamed of yourselves. Very ashamed.

valiance on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "Ooooh look at me I beat a guy while wearing a dozen power rings because I'm a whiny armless loooooser"

Seriously though I can't wait for Mongul's inevitable death.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    valiance wrote: »
    So Immortal Iron Fist is still really good, and those of you who arent reading it should be ashamed of yourselves. Very ashamed.

That older Bride? Mother of God. D:D:D:

Darklyre on
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Darklyre wrote: »
    valiance wrote: »

That older Bride? Mother of God. D:D:D:

I can't identify the former Davos and former John Aman (well the 2 former weapons from their cities). One has a yellow/red scarf hat/veil with a monkey on his/her shoulder and the other is on the bottom left with a spear.

valiance on
    edited March 2009
    "Ooooh look at me I beat a guy while wearing a dozen power rings because I'm a whiny armless loooooser"

Well, they did power their rings down while they fought. Granted, Mongul's left arm should have fallen off then, but...

And the other pages of the fight were pretty sweet as well. Gleason draws great fight scenes. They basically stab each other with a pole, then stab the other with the pole while it's still in them. Like sci-fi kabobs.

TexiKen on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    AH, LALALALLAALLwaitingfortradesLALALALLALALA

(of Iron Fist)

mattharvest on
    edited March 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »

Well, they did power their rings down while they fought. Granted, Mongul's left arm should have fallen off then, but...

And the other pages of the fight were pretty sweet as well. Gleason draws great fight scenes. They basically stab each other with a pole, then stab the other with the pole while it's still in them. Like sci-fi kabobs.

Mongul is also Superman level strength. I'm surprised he didnt squish Arkillo like a bug without the rings.

KVW on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I liked when he was throwing people at the other guy.

Throwing them hard enough that the people squish on impact.

Amazing.

Sharp101 on
    edited March 2009
    KVW wrote: »

Mongul is also Superman level strength. I'm surprised he didnt squish Arkillo like a bug without the rings.

Personally i was hoping Arkillo would win because his character design is x10000 times better than Monguls

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Exactly!

That's basically my entire distaste for Mongul. Giant purple-yellow dude. Just looks silly.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited March 2009
    At the very least he could wear a Lantern Corps uniform, they're good costumes and seem to work for just about anybody.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I thought they should've left Mongul's arm unattached, just flying through space and punching people in the face when provoked. It's such a great concept, I'm surprise it didn't get its own ongoing series.
    Maybe now it and Arkillo's toungue can have a team-up. Once Arkillo's toungue gets a ring of its own.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I hope that the dude replaces his tongue with a yellow tongue construct.

Bloods End on
    edited March 2009

I thought they should've left Mongul's arm unattached, just flying through space and punching people in the face when provoked. It's such a great concept, I'm surprise it didn't get its own ongoing series.
    Maybe now it and Arkillo's toungue can have a team-up. Once Arkillo's toungue gets a ring of its own.

That would make an absolutely brilliant spin-off story after the Blackest Night arc ends, following the decimation of the various corps following whatever goes down, Monguls left arm goes rogue, taking over a planet and establishing a kingdom in its own image.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »
    I hope that the dude replaces his tongue with a yellow tongue construct.

So, we're looking for a corps full of Davos?

mattharvest on
    edited March 2009
    Can someone explain the last page of Punisher: Six Hours To Die (I think) chapter 3 to me?

DarkWarrior on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    From what I could tell, Larry had a flashback to Nam and was seeing Frank giving him the old one-fingered salute as he was being dragged off to get tortured.

Crimsondude on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Moment of the Week so far: was that bloody Killpower being referred to in Captain Britain?!

Wildcat on
    edited March 2009
    From what I could tell, Larry had a flashback to Nam and was seeing Frank giving him the old one-fingered salute as he was being dragged off to get tortured.

Different comic I think, I'm talking about the Max Series one, Six Hours To Kill.

DarkWarrior on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Not big enough to be an anti-moment of the week, but I got excited when I saw Captain Marvel on the cover of GoG and he was in it (As a zombie, no less!) for all of two panels.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog