As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Darkfall] Now with More Wang!!

Zero-ControlZero-Control Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in MMO Extravaganza
<Last Update: 17 April 09>

The PA Darkfall Clansite is up for all members: www.clanbroodax.com

DARKFALL:

Darkfall Online is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) created by Aventurine SA that combines real-time action and strategy in a fantasy setting. The game is features almost unrestricted PvP, full looting, a huge, dynamic game world that evolves in response to player actions, and a player skill dependent combat system free of the class and level systems that typify most MMORPGs. The game is currently released and is selling limited copies of the game here. Expect a wider release as more servers come online.

Old thread (dated info but good intro)

System requirements:
Operating System: Windows XP, Vista
Processor: 2.5GHz Pentium 4, or equivalent
RAM: 1GB for Windows XP, 2GB for Windows Vista
Graphics Card: 128MB PixelShader 2.0 support
Hard Drive Space: 12 GB Free Space Minimum

Purchasing the game FAQ: (Sales vary day to day, read below for info on checking store openings)
How to buy:

First: Go to this link, create and account and make sure you have accurate account info.

Second: read the news on the forums for when sales will occur.

Third: when sales begin follow the links on the account page: Products->Buy->CCV#->Confirm
--DO NOT Refresh multiple times, let the page timeout, else you will be locked out.

Why all this crap to get the game?

- Aventurine is a small developer that has made an effort to not going the normal publisher route. They created their own store code, kept their team small, and in general have lived the life of an indie developer. As a result they have made some noobie mistakes, created weak store code, with weak server support. They only have one game server that probably can not support all the people who want to try the game and so they have bottlenecked the release.

Is it going to always be like this?

- For a while. They will eventually improve the store code or go with a third party, and as new servers come on line they will open the store up permanently.

Getting started in game and joining other PA Players:

Visit our site and apply to the guild: www.clanbroodax.com

look for grimm shado, ozguz smashfist, or brother jude in game to help you get to where you need to be.
We will also be able to help you get invited.

More stuff!
-Pick a 1H weapon, get to 25 for knockback.
-Pick a 2H weapon, get to 25 for knockback.
-Get lesser magic to 50 for mana to stamina.
-Get a bow and arrows because they rock at shooting out mounts.
-Specialize once you have a preference.
Interactive Map

(League of Legends Summoner: Zero Control)

yourzeero.png
Zero-Control on

• Zero-ControlZero-Control Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I will try to search out questions and answers on the forum or any other site and post them here for ease of reading. Additions will just get pasted into the bottom so look there for updates, thanks.

General FAQ:

Magic seems to be too expensive to raise
    Magic IS expensive to raise, but this is only compared to WOW-type MMOs where magic is related to your level. Anyone familiar with UO will be happy with the system. It is also not that overpowered considering the better spells eat a lot of regs and mana.

All magic attacks seem to be aoe which seems kind of dumb

They are not ALL AoE. I quite frequently have spells splash by my feet and cause no effects. It helps as well because they are slower than arrows and people can dodge the, the AOE is just a balance mechanic for some of the basic ranged attacks.

The alignment flagging system was made to be griefed. I mean could you have made it any worse.

I can't disagree with you except to say that if you're dumb enough to swing all willy-nilly around people you don't know, even when you know about AoE flagging you and such, then it's your fault. Once you've been greyed a few times and ran enough to have the timer wear off, you will appreciate it. However, there are currently fuckholes who group up naked and take turns swinging at AFKers in towns to whittle their health down. Theres no penalties for looting blues yet, which would alleviate this. UO had the good system where you could loot your blue group mates.

Free loot in pve? I mean seriously. This little problem has been fixed for longer than mmos have been in existance. There's absolutely no reason to have free loot in pve.

This is not a problem in my opinion. It worked very well for UO and it's got a home here. This game isn't gear-based so you dont have to worry about Jim Newguy stealing that precious goblin axe from your kills. Also, if you are really pissed just hop in front of his attacks and grey-kill him to get those 5 gold pieces back from that scalliwag.

From what I've read about mounted combat there doesn't seem to be much incentive to use it. The mounts aren't that much faster than a sprinting unmounted player and the damage bonus isn't that great. And apparently you can't even use polearms you have to use 1handed weapons.

Mounts ARE faster and mounted combat is very usefull. Just line 5 or 6 guys up and ride past a guy like a train. Only your train has sharp bits swinging around. They also have attacks of their own, I have personally mount-butted 2 guys way better equipped than me to death.

Bottom line:
    If you dont have a mount and they do...run, because you are in trouble unless you can kill their mount.

Heavy armor is better than light armor without the penalties for heavy armor being really noticable. Furthermore its actually more expensive to get light armor right now because you have to leave the noob towns to actually get the leather to make it.

There are different advantages to different armor. There are penalties for heavy armor: speed, inventory space, casting failure, and how much stam you use. Also the lighter leather armors reflect less light and so you blend into the surroundings better.... this is a big deal when you see people at distance.

You will have to leave the noob towns eventually, but just like leaving the womb, you will eventually stop crying about it. (intended to be funny, not directed at you as sarcasm at all, but also very true) You want to get to a player city asap, the noob towns are full of assholery like you wouldn't believe.

Players can't build houses anywhere they want and there's a pretty dismally small number of city building sites. City buildings are only minorly functional. You need a city to build siege weapons to capture other cities so people without cities have a natural disadvantage to actually getting a city.

There are quite a few player cities and smaller hamlet sites. Unfortunately they were all snatched within the first few days of launch. So buck up and join a clan, because if you don't you will have a very hard time staying alive. This is not a solo-friendly game at all. Both from the roving PKs and the fact that even the simplest mobs are organized and smarter than your regular mmo mob by far.

Also you dont need a city to get a city. All the city features for the most part, are available in NPC cities, including the ability to build cannons. You just need someone with the crafting skills. As a matter of fact our allied clan crafters can make rafts but our city doesnt have the upgrade to allow it so they go to the NPC city.

In the end you may not have the best siege equipment, but hey there need to be some perks to getting your own city right?

Is there a snooping/stealing skill in this? I never had more fun in UO than when I was a thief. I used to steal from people, thank them for x item, and then take off running....

There is no traditional stealth skill or stealing skill.

Stealth is handled a number of ways. Firstly the game is first person in all modes but melee, and in melee mode you can only see 180 in front of you. So a portion of the game is about sneaking up behind you, and from the other guy....looking behind you.

The game also has a great deal of fantastic terrain and vegetation as well as some of the best active shadows you will see in any MMO today. The shadow system was specifically designed with the "hiding" portion of the game in mind.

Sound travels very far in this game, thats fighting, running, walking, and getting hit or falling, etc.

All that is resolved in the crouch skill.... this is an ability you can level up that allows you to crouch down and walk slowly, it means less noise and you are harder to see. You can also wear less conspicuous clothing that blends into the surrounding environment and makes you harder to see.

While there is no pure stealing you can take anything, you can loot someone elses stuff, you can loot anyones corpse, and you can even grab a mount if the guy that called his mount doesnt use it in time.

It means look around you whe you take out your mount or dismount, and be careful where you pve... have your buddies on hand to help you keep your stuff.

Why No Local Banks

Conquest System:

All Cities and Hamlets have CityPoints associated with them.
    This is calculated by the potential of the City or Hamlet; e.g. a City with a potential Wonder will have a high CityPoint score while a small Hamlet will have a small CityPoint score.

A City or Hamlet is either owned by a Clan or it is Neutral.
    All Cities and Hamlets start out as Neutral.

A Clan can be in only one Conquest Challenge at a time.

A Clan owned city is conquered when the Clan Stone or Clan Hamlet is destroyed.

You get CityPoints by destroying Clan Stones.
    Claiming a Neutral City
    In order to claim a neutral city you need to:

1. Be in a Clan
    2. Have the rank of General or higher
    3. Be within the city/hamlet limits (You will get a message that you are crossing the city boundary)
    4. Not be in a Conquest Challenge with another clan
    5. Have a Clan Shard in your backpack (These can be bought from various vendors)
    6. Double click the Clan Shard in your back pack
    7. Congratulations your Clan is now the new owner

Note: A Clan can claim only 1 Neutral City every 24 hours.
    Conquering a Clan owned City/Hamlet when your Clan also owns Cities/Hamlets
    In order to start a challenge against a Clan owned City/Hamlet, these preconditions has to hold true:

1. You must be in a Clan
    2. You must formally declare WAR against the city owners (Or they must have done so against you)
    3. You must have the rank of General or higher
    4. You must be within the city/hamlets limits
    5. You must have a Clan Shard in your backpack
    6. The Clan you are about to challenge must not be in another Conquest Challenge
    7. Your Clan must not be in a Conquest Challenge
    8. Double click the Clan Shard in your back pack
    9. Congratulations you have now initiated a Conquest Challenge

A City vs City conquest consist of 2 Stages:
    Stage1:
    Stage 1 lasts 4 hours.

The City that was issued a challenge against is invulnerable for these 4 hours.

All cities and hamlets belonging to the attackers will be vulnerable in this period.
    Anyone (including Mercenary clans, allies etc.) can help the defenders by attacking the attacker’s Clan Cities/Hamlet Stones.
    If a Clan City/Hamlet Stone of one of the attackers Cities is destroyed during this time, ownership is transferred to the defenders.

A Conquest Challenge can end during this period if:

1. The total sum of CityPoints lost by the attackers exceed the CityPoints of the Defender’s Challenged City. Defenders WIN.
    2. The attackers have lost their last City/Hamlet. Defenders WIN.
    3. A formal Peace Treaty between the Attacker and the Defender is negotiated. It’s a DRAW.

If none of these conditions have been met during the 4 hour period then Stage 2 of the Conquest will commence.
    Stage2:
    Stage 2 lasts 2 hours.

During this stage the challenged City/Hamlet will become vulnerable.

All the Attacker’s Cities/Hamlets will remain vulnerable.

A Conquest Challenge will end during this period if:

1. The total sum of CityPoints lost by the attackers exceed the CityPoints of the Defender’s Challenged City. Defenders WIN.
    2. The attackers have lost their last City/Hamlet. Defenders WIN.
    3. A formal Peace Treaty between the Attacker and the Defender is negotiated. It’s a DRAW.
    4. The attackers destroy the Defender’s City Clan Stone. Attackers WIN.

If, after 2 hours, there is no outcome the Conquest Challenge will result in a timeout. This means it’s a draw.
    Conquering a Clan owned City/Hamlet when your Clan does NOT own any Cities/Hamlets
    When you do NOT own any Clan Cities/Hamlets you have to put up a “wager” in Gold for the Clan who owns the city. The exact amount has to do with the number of CityPoints of the City/Hamlet you are about to challenge.
    You will get the “wager” back only if you WIN the Conquest Challenge.
    If you do NOT win the challenge this amount of Gold will be transferred to the Clan that owns the City when the Challenge is over. This also happens in a DRAW.

In order to initiate a challenge against a Clan owned City/Hamlet while your Clan does NOT own any Cities/Hamlets, these preconditions have to hold true:

1. You have to be in a Clan
    2. WAR must be formally declared between the two parties.
    3. You must hold the rank of General or higher
    4. You must be within the city/hamlets limits
    5. You must have a Clan Shard in your backpack
    6. The Clan you are about to challenge must not be involved in another Conquest Challenge
    7. Your Clan must not be in a Conquest Challenge
    8. Your Clan must have enough Gold in the Clan Vault to Challenge the City/Hamlet
    9. Double click the Clan Shard in your back pack
    10. Congratulations you have now initiated a Conquest Challenge
    11. The person who initiated the Challenge is now the Challenger

The Challenger becomes a target for the Defending Clan.
    His location will show up on all the Defender’s members world and mini maps.
    The Challenger is incapable to teleport, and if he logs out for whatever reason the Challenge is lost.

A No City vs City Conquest Challenge consists of 2 stages:
    Stage 1
    Stage 1 lasts 4 hours.

The Challenged City is invulnerable in these 4 hours.

A Conquest Challenge can end during this period if:

1. The Defenders KILL the Challenger. Defenders WIN.
    2. A formal Peace Treaty between the Attacker and the Defender is negotiated. This means a draw.

If none of these conditions have been met during the 4 hour period then Stage 2 of the Conquest will commence.
    Stage2:
    Stage 2 lasts for 2 hours.

During this stage the challenged City/Hamlet becomes vulnerable.

A Conquest Challenge will end during this period if:

1. The Defenders KILL the Challenger. Defenders WIN.
    2. A formal Peace Treaty between the Attacker and the Defender is negotiated. This means a draw.
    3. The attackers destroy the Clan Stone of the Defender’s City. Attackers WIN.

If, after 2 hours, there is no outcome the Conquest Challenge will result in a timeout. This means a draw.

NOTE: The Gold deposited by the Attackers will always go to the defenders unless the Attackers win.
    Destroying a Clan Stone
    A Clan Stone can be destroyed using this equipment:

* Siege Hammers (2 Handed Weapon)
    * Different types of Battle Spikes (thrown weapons)
    * Dynamically deployable Cannons
    * Warhulk Weapons
    * Ship cannons

When a City has changed ownership:

* If a bank is present, it’s automatically destroyed, and the new owner will have to haul new building modules across the land to build it. These modules are heavy and if you overload, you can not use runestones or other means of teleportation.
    * All members of the previous Clan currently bound to the City will be booted out
    * The record of this Challenge will live forever.

Other information regarding cities

* You can only destroy one building per day. The only things exempt from this rule are:
    1. Walls
    2. Palisades
    3. Decorations
    4. Clan City Cannons
    * You can disable buildings at all times.
    * Disabling a building that has a local bonus (Gives attribute bonuses to all Clan Members when they are within the city limits) associated with it, will cause the Clan Members to lose the bonuses
    * Disabling a Wonder will cause the global bonus to be removed
    * Disabling Houses and Barracks will decrease the number of people able to bind at the city.
    * All buildings can be repaired using repair shards and a repair hammer
    * Different Cities have different abilities:
    * There are 9 unique Wonders located in 9 different cities. These give Global bonuses to all members of the Clan that own it.
    * Warhulks can be crafted only in certain cities.
    * Coastal cities and hamlets may have harbors you can build Ships at.
    * Mines producing a variety of resources can be found in various cities.
    * Every city is laid out and strategically positioned for warfare .

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
  • CapuanoCapuano Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    New thread! I suppose we should just let the other one die.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
    Starcraft 2: jawaka.947
    edited March 2009
    Capuano wrote: »
    New thread! I suppose we should just let the other one die.

Thats the plan. It will be easier if we can drop consolidated clan info and game updates at the top of this thread. I saw some complaints in the previous one about the lack of updates. And a lot of the info was outdated since the game has released.

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
  • Xx9x8x7xXXx9x8x7xX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Crap, I just posted in the other thread. Should I repost in this one?

Xx9x8x7xX on
    edited March 2009
    Just repost in this one. Perhaps we could see about getting the other locked?

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
    edited March 2009
    Sounds good. Sorry about posting twice but I started typing right as this thread was created.

Alright...
    Maybe I should introduce myself before asking for opinions. I will try to spoiler this so it is not so large, my forum skills are rusty though so I apologize in advance if I screw it up.
    Well it has been a long time since I have played an MMO, probably getting close to ten years now. I played UO on the Baja shard for a couple years and played mostly out of Vesper and sometimes Minoc. The time period I played was right before the Second Age came out and I left a few months after they implemented Trammel. Towards the end of my playing in UO I joined a group of players called the Sosarian Bladesmen and became their head craftsmen due to being a GM in some valuable skills. My tradesman was known as Don King. My main character was named Hardin de Cecile and he was primarily a townfighter. Hardin was also a co-leader of SB's war guild and if my memory serves we fought mainly the Lords of Destruction and the Natural Born Killers. I had the most fun playing during this time period and have some great stories. Anyhow after Trammel I left and that was that. I beta tested in both EQ and AC when they came out but I was never engaged by these games so I played Unreal Tournament and Team Fortress instead.

So should I assume that it is just a bad idea to go with the orc race in this game? I understand their hitboxes are larger, they are much easier to see at distances and can not sneak as well due to their visibility but are there any redeeming qualities? So far I have been unable to get an account but I have a friend was was able to get one a few days ago and he, myself and another friend want to get into this. Honestly I will probably be playing more then they will but when they play I want to be able to have fun with them.

So to bring this long winded post to a close I am just asking for some advise and maybe some friends to play this game with. I do not know how hard of a transition it will be for me because I have not played an MMO since UO for any length of time worth mentioning since then and have been playing FPS's for the last few years online. Darkfall sounds like something I would enjoy but it also sounds like something best played with friends to support one another and the friends I will be bringing will not be playing as much as me. I am not sure where I am going with this now so I will stop. Thanks for reading and take it easy.

Oh and thanks for the reply in the other thread.

Xx9x8x7xX on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    prolly a good plan. I havfe no plans to buy the game but am intrigued to find out how it developes.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is there a trick to getting my CC information to update? Everytime I try to update my profile I get a little error message in red that says "network timeout try again later". The page stays the same except my CC information is gone.

The information on the left of the page is saved, like my address and name and stuff but I can't get it to update and save my CC information. Am I only able to update information once they have opened it up to purchase?

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm in game right now, resting between some boulders, scared shitless from being chased.

How's that for awesome.

**EDIT** I am also on PA Vent, look for my forum name there.

XOCentric on
    steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
    edited March 2009
    Actually it sounds fun, I am rather jealous. I have a feeling it will be about a week before I am able to log in. That is fine though, I have some new pc components coming in on Monday to keep me occupied.

Xx9x8x7xX on
    edited March 2009
    Running around solo as a new player is definetely a harrowing experience. I am constantly scanning 360 for movement as I travel around.

XOCentric on
    edited March 2009
    Heh, I have a feeling going solo at all for the most part will be pretty rough but still exciting. I might log in today with my friends account to apply the patches and then run around naked with a pickaxe and the starter weapon until I get a feel for it.

Also in the other thread I think I read where most of you guys are playing as dwarves correct? My friend currently has an orc character so due to the alignment and binds I would be better off finding some Mahiram(SP?) or other Orcs to hang around as opposed to running over where you are correct?

Xx9x8x7xX on
    edited March 2009
    Xx9x8x7xX wrote: »
    Heh, I have a feeling going solo at all for the most part will be pretty rough but still exciting. I might log in today with my friends account to apply the patches and then run around naked with a pickaxe and the starter weapon until I get a feel for it.

Also in the other thread I think I read where most of you guys are playing as dwarves correct? My friend currently has an orc character so due to the alignment and binds I would be better off finding some Mahiram(SP?) or other Orcs to hang around as opposed to running over where you are correct?

Yes, for the moment that would be good. If we end up in a guild that is open to your races then you can come play no problem.

You want to avoid running around the dwarf area where others will gank you. Player cities, however, are open to whoever the owner lets in. You can also get your own wee lil hamlet in the vicinity of the city....again open to whoever the city owner allows.

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
    edited March 2009
    El Mucho wrote: »
    Is there a trick to getting my CC information to update? Everytime I try to update my profile I get a little error message in red that says "network timeout try again later". The page stays the same except my CC information is gone.

The information on the left of the page is saved, like my address and name and stuff but I can't get it to update and save my CC information. Am I only able to update information once they have opened it up to purchase?

I am really not sure why you are having issues with this. I havent heard of any problem updating CC info, did you put your password in and everything?

Maybe they have the feature disabled till they reopen the store. I believe they aren't planning to reopen sales till next Monday sadly, but there hasnt been a lot of info posted on the forums about their future sales plan.

I suspect this server is getting rather full and its time for them to snag another server, god only knows if they can afford it.

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
  • El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    El Mucho wrote: »

I am really not sure why you are having issues with this. I havent heard of any problem updating CC info, did you put your password in and everything?

Maybe they have the feature disabled till they reopen the store. I believe they aren't planning to reopen sales till next Monday sadly, but there hasnt been a lot of info posted on the forums about their future sales plan.

I suspect this server is getting rather full and its time for them to snag another server, god only knows if they can afford it.

Yeah entered my password all the neseccary information is in, but once I hit the update button it brings me back to the same page only with empty entires and a message saying network timeout. Happened to me on the first day as well when the billing servers were getting hammered and everytime since then.

Oh well, I will just have to wait until things calm down I guess.

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
    edited March 2009
    Yes, for the moment that would be good. If we end up in a guild that is open to your races then you can come play no problem.

You want to avoid running around the dwarf area where others will gank you. Player cities, however, are open to whoever the owner lets in. You can also get your own wee lil hamlet in the vicinity of the city....again open to whoever the city owner allows.
    Ok, that is what I figured. I have a few other questions but I can figure it out as I go I suppose. Thank you for the help Zero and maybe I will see you guys on later, probably not though until my own account is active. My friends name in game is Tea Baggins, I think, so if you see an orc mining or doing something stupid with that name please kill him. We will only get better with pratice, I hope.

Xx9x8x7xX on
    edited March 2009
    I guess hitting refresh when it freezes posts it twice. Disregard please!

Xx9x8x7xX on
    edited March 2009
    Latest from Aventurine:

The queue times players are experiencing during prime-time hours the last couple of days are only temporary. They are due to the large number of new players that have entered the game this week. This made us reach a threshhold. Everyone wants to be online a lot, and to add to this, the starting areas are congested. It does help to bind away from the starting areas but currently during prime-time hours this isn't enough to avoid the queues.

We expect to have queuing issues this weekend especially around prime-time hours, but starting next week you will see a vast improvement as we considerably upgrade the capacity of our server cluster.

We apologize for the queuing and we want you to know that we're working non-stop to eliminate it. In the meanwhile we won't offer more copies of the game until this is resolved early next week.

We continue to aggressively detect and permanently ban exploiters using third party programs. We would like to assure the player-base that we're committed to protecting the game from these kinds of exploits. If you install and use one of these programs you will be permanently banned.

Thank you,
    The Darkfall Team

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
    edited March 2009
    Server crashed. More queuing.

God I hope this gets better next week.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
  • ZoldenZolden Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I guess I will never actually be able to play Darkfall. I got some extra bucks and am on spring break, all I wanted to do was check this game out for it's potential. I really didn't think this long after the initial "release" day they still wouldn't openly be selling accounts. I realize they packed their one server pretty full, but not offering copies all weekend? If I can't snag an account by next wednesday its pointless since I won't have time after spring break to really get into it.

I was seriously hoping they were going to take those 5,000 initial subs and then purchase more servers. At this point they could probably open two more and freely allow people to buy accounts and everything would be peachy... maybe they could even start making money back?

Zolden on
  • HembotHembot Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    They stated "server cluster" which could be anywhere from 2-2000 servers. We don't know what the game is running on. Even if they did buy a new cluster with the first 5000 subs, I'm sure the installation, syncing, diagnostics, and testing would take some time if they want to do it right.

A couple questions:
    1) I heard it takes 3 minutes resting after you expend your health/stam? does this mean you can't chain mobs? I hate fighting for 30 seconds to 2 minutes to rest for 3.

2) How are guild monies managed? Is there a tax or is there a "good will" type of system prevelent in most MMO's where the leader/officers pull most the weight or act like the United Way for donations instead of playing the game?

Hembot on
    edited March 2009
    Hembot wrote: »
    They stated "server cluster" which could be anywhere from 2-2000 servers. We don't know what the game is running on. Even if they did buy a new cluster with the first 5000 subs, I'm sure the installation, syncing, diagnostics, and testing would take some time if they want to do it right.

A couple questions:
    1) I heard it takes 3 minutes resting after you expend your health/stam? does this mean you can't chain mobs? I hate fighting for 30 seconds to 2 minutes to rest for 3.

2) How are guild monies managed? Is there a tax or is there a "good will" type of system prevelent in most MMO's where the leader/officers pull most the weight or act like the United Way for donations instead of playing the game?

1 - Resting can take a while. You can chain mobs. The variables are, how hard is the mob to fight, how many mobs are you fighting at a time. You slowly regen everything. Sometimes after I die I just up and run back, you have full stam and almost no mana and hp after you pop. On the run back I regen my hp and mana. And I use my heal spell. You can also get pots and food to help regen faster. Its not too bad, but its enough that you have to really be careful and retreat to a safe spot to heal. Also you are very vulnerable when resting, taking extra damage.

2- I am not sure about this as we haven't started a clan yet but I think its a donation thing. I haven't seen any physical system in game for taxing people. Most clans just run out and gather a ton of stuff and you dump what you don't need into the bank. The clan saves up all the junk and money it can then issues out equipment, helps people buy high level crafting and skills.... its a big team effort and most folks handle it well. I really enjoy our little group, we save up a little money for unlocking additional starter slots, and bank the rest for our future clan purchases.

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
    edited March 2009
    *Sigh*, word to the wise, don't go afk unless you're squirreled away somewhere safe. I spent half an hour following some Laudanum guys around town as they tried to punt afkers into lava to loot them.

I'm not morally for or against this tactic, but you better believe I was there to hack at them every time they did it.

XOCentric on
  • Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    People find the most creative ways of PKing you without actually PKing you. This one elf was camped out naked at a wilderness bank/tower and kept going grey for 10 seconds at a time by hitting someone. They would then go after him, and he would go blue again, and then the next hit they landed would turn them gray. If they were slow enough to realize, it would be two hits, and 2 minutes of grey. After which they promptly died. You can survive the tower and maybe another player for 10 seconds, but not for two minutes. He actually took out quite a few people that way.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
    edited March 2009
    I think if you attack so many blues within so many minutes your grey timer should go up and the only way is to get rid of it is time.

Because this ultra short grey timer is leading to exactly what you just described. It's really a poor man's PvP for people that clearly don't have the balls to take it to the next level.

Ah well, at least if we can get the word passed to our dudes they won't be open to it. Fuck everyone else.

XOCentric on
    edited March 2009
    jdark- We made a poor guy run from Yssam back to Idalwol because we didn't know where our new location was going to be, we'd better wait for him to come back and come with before we go fucking off on him.

Also, get in queue now whilst you eat your grumblies.

XOCentric on
    edited March 2009
    I am at our new city and putting my G15 to work macro mining,.....but its cool cause im sitting here being bored. Its just now my hands are free to wank off and all.

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
  • MagitekMagitek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well I've played DFO for a few hours, its fun but basically you need to go in expecting morrowind turned into an MMO. Morrowind looks superior for the most part though.

I have to reroll now because I killed ONE person from the same race.
    Unlike UO, it's a black and white alignment system. If you drop to negative racial alignment (which starts near 0 to begin with) you can no longer enter your city, and everyone will pop you on the spot. This grey will never deteriorate(that I saw in 2 hours or more). You must either kill racial-enemy or murderers to gain standing; goodluck with that.

So yes. no same-race pvp till you have reasonable combat skills to power your way out naked. Unless someone hits you twice and goes grey for a period longer than 10 seconds.

Does it matter what racial we start as for guilds and the like?

Magitek on
  • vatoreusvatoreus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Magitek wrote: »
    Well I've played DFO for a few hours, its fun but basically you need to go in expecting morrowind turned into an MMO. Morrowind looks superior for the most part though.

Unlike UO, it's a black and white alignment system. If you drop to negative racial alignment (which starts near 0 to begin with) you can no longer enter your city, and everyone will pop you on the spot. This grey will never deteriorate(that I saw in 2 hours or more). You must either kill racial-enemy or murderers to gain standing; goodluck with that.

So yes. no same-race pvp till you have reasonable combat skills to power your way out naked. Unless someone hits you twice and goes grey for a period longer than 10 seconds.

There is something not right with what you are saying...

In my first 10minutes in game, I had killed 2 Alfar and was completely fine walking back into the city.

vatoreus on
    edited March 2009
    vatoreus wrote: »

In my first 10minutes in game, I had killed 2 Alfar and was completely fine walking back into the city.
    Keyword: alfar.
    Needless to say I am now re-rolling alfar. I was just expecting the UO rep system is all.. not one kill murderer status.

Magitek on
    edited March 2009
    Needless to say I am now re-rolling alfar. I was just expecting the UO rep system is all.. not one kill murderer status.

This is a slightly misleading statement for people not yet in-game. The reason you went red right away is because you did not have sufficient good karma built up. You get good karma from killing racial enemies. There is a slider in your status bar that displays your level of karma.

If you raise yourself higher into the "blue", you can kill a couple blues without going red.

However, I am not sure how alfar work seeing as how they are the evil race.

XOCentric on
  • fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    is the basic gameplay fun, when everything is working correctly? anyone gone out in a group to kill monsters/enemy players yet? what was it like?

fallaxdraco on
  • LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I am currently visiting my parents for the weekend, so expect be to be back online monday night, I will roll a dwarf and pm my name.

Librarian on
    edited March 2009
    So, first official play session. 4 of us hacking, slashing, and making the pew pew generally having a great time. Here's some tidbits for the people who haven't gotten in or got a copy yet.

PROS

- Amazing use of lighting, you can actually hide in the shadows if you're good about it.
    - Use of terrain can be accomplished if you pay attention to your surroundings. (already stood on some high ground and plinked away at mobs the other 3 were fighting)
    - FPS style spells and bows are pretty cool, makes you feel like you worked for the kill if you managed to plink a mob to death.
    - Generally interesting combat, you need to be aware of whos around you so you dont smoke them and go grey, or in a worse situation get jumped by people or overrun by mobs.
    - FULL LOOT UO-STYLE, complete with drag-and-drop looting. Gone are the guarantees that you will get that hard earned loot.
    - A general feel of edginess whenever you are outside town limits. Is that group rolling up just here to hunt mobs, or are they going to lay into you and laugh over your corpses and full loot bags? You actually feel the need to hug the terrain and keep your head on a swivel.
    - Pretty large world. We ran from one point to another for about 20 minutes and we didnt even go that far on the world map.
    - No use of mob con colors, you gotta fight something to find out if its going to spank you silly.
    - No floaty names, you have to target someone in your crosshairs to see their name.
    - You can actually hide better at night than during the day.
    - Environment is whole buckets of fuckawesome. We took a lift up this massively tall escarpement after we spotted ufo-looking platforms hovering back and forth in the air. Turns out its a mob village that you can fight through and explore. Pretty badass stuff.

CONS
    - Graphics are not the greatest, although the lighting turned up looks fantastic. This includes models that range from stylish to serviceable to downright fuckin ugly (im looking at you kobolds with your gigantic melon fuckoff heads).
    - Armor and weapon art is definetely "different". The armor ranges from pretty badass to what the fuck were they thinking? (also, charge up a spell with the starting staff and it starts to vibrate with what I assume they intended was magical energies but comes off looking like a wooden sex toy on a new battery).
    - Warping problems from either bad network code or jinkey AI scripting. Makes hyper accurate shooting pure luck sometimes. Although you can still catch em when they stand still to shoot, cast or swing. Or if you get enough practice like Im getting, you start to lead them at different ranges if you can account for trajectory and distance + your height relative to the target.
    - Clunky fucking UI, like for serious. Right click to go into combat mode, press R to unsheath, left click to swing until you kill something, press R to sheath, Press F to open corpse, Press B to open bag, drag and drop loot. Repeat ad nauseum. Your fingers will get a workout during any sort of combat.
    - Animations are pretty bad for a lot of stuff. But its still playable if you dont expect WAR level animation.
    - Sounds range from nice to purely usefull to fucking annoying. Also the volume sometimes doesnt feel right for the range of the source. However, you CAN use sound to track people/fights/mobs.

** I haven't tested any crafting or gathering or really that much magic so my personal experience may be different. I basically volunteered to be the designated marksman for our little excursions and my play session mainly involved me providing covering fire with my bow. **

This is my post of my first play session from the other thread.

Also, now that I've been in game quite a bit, I can say it is pure fuckawesome. Once they clean out some more bugs it will be the best MMO in my opinion for sandbox style FFA.

If you are expecting to come in and run pointless snatch and grab/delivery quests all the time like WOW or WAR, you have the wrong idea.

Combat is pretty fun as well, PvE and PVP.

XOCentric on
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, after doing a little PvP outing with our friends last night, I got a pretty good taste for what things would be like. Between the stories they told me and what we actually did, the tactics and everything are pretty much only limited by your imagination. For example, getting everyone into an enemy city, then blocking the entrance with four or five guys on mounts. Boat ops, mounted fighting, launching your friends into trees to wait or over city walls to surprise your enemy. I can see a lot of potential in this game.

Also, Magitek, if we get a new clan started, it shouldn't make much of a difference what race you are once we get a city. However, for right now, we are in another clan that is strictly Human, Dwarf, and Mirdain. So, if you want to jump into stuff right away, it's in your best interest to roll one of those three races.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
    edited March 2009
    vatoreus wrote: »

This is a horrible misconception of the game.

ON your status icon under your other bars is a slider. This slider moves right or left and starts at 0. Its your faction with your race. If you kill enemies, like mobs, or racially aligned enemies then it goes to the right and if you murder it goes to the left. You are never stuck at red.

Additionally once you have a player city your alignment will mean very little to you, although you will be able to kill people of the same faction in enemy clans. This game is all about team play and clans, if you want to solo you WILL FAIL, and you will not have fun.

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
    edited March 2009
    is the basic game play fun, when everything is working correctly? anyone gone out in a group to kill monsters/enemy players yet? what was it like?

The core game is very fun. We manage to really enjoy ourselves despite the clunky interface and whatever bugs may be annoying us.

The game is about team play, similar to EVE. If you do not have a guild/clan, you will not have fun. There are a few exceptional people who enjoy sneaking around and murdering people, being that rogue guy.... best of luck to you. For everyone else, you will need the team to get and keep a city, buy expensive skills and crafting supplies. But its all goodness.

PvE is fairly enjoyable. Your experience will vary depending on the mobs and size of your party.

There is a nice camp of goblins outside our city and a handful of us went to kill them. We have a guy who stands back and plucks a bow, some of us run up in their face, throw spells what have you. THen we loot and skin em, carry back the spoils and do it again. Its pretty fullfilling though, especially when you know everything helps you pvp.

Now there are a few really hard mobs near our city that require a team of 8 or 10. For those we try to surround them so they cant run away. Mobs like to run away and use ranged at you then run in close and melee.

My favorite part is your health, stam, and mana take a while to come back. Sitting and resting helps to regen them faster, and potions and food really help. The better the food the more the regen. So its nice to go farm or fish and then cook up a nice hunk of food before you go anywhere. I like that those skills are useful though, pretty much all the crafts are helpful.

Zero-Control on

yourzeero.png
    edited March 2009
    There are a few exceptional people who enjoy sneaking around and murdering people, being that rogue guy.... best of luck to you. For everyone else, you will need the team to get and keep a city, buy expensive skills and crafting supplies.

This, this is a good summary right here. If you try to solo mobs at a spawn all by yourself, you will probably die frustrated.

-Mobs do not stand still for you to play whack-a-mole, quite the contrary actually, almost to the other extreme.

-Mobs close with you, firing spells or arrows all the way, then melee you for a while, if you start to get the upper hand, they will bugger off on you. If you dont manage to shoot them to death, they will 180 probably when you're not looking or busy with another closer mob and commence their assault again.

-Mobs do not have an aggro range, if they can see you, they will come after you. This appears to be limited to a radius around their spawn. There are also a portion of mobs in a spawn that patrol the spawn area, thus eliminating being able to account for all mobs being killed and being "safe".

-You have to use teamwork in groups to tackle mobs. Two of us with decent teamwork still have trouble with the basic mobs. This is a combination of very fast respawn time and the constant ebb and flow of attack and retreat. The only surefire tactic is to literally surround a mob and hack it to death, but if you factor in knockbacks/jumping/multiple mobs attackers, it becomes a swirling melee where you may tag your buddies as often as the monsters.

XOCentric on
    edited March 2009
    In my post I did mention the slider; but there's no difference between grey and red: that's what I was complaining about.
    I was effectively screwed because the only way I could kill a racial enemy was by running around naked and hoping to run into something I could actually take down.. aka not much.

Mobs do not affect alignment as far as i could tell, I killed 3 or 4 goblins from -2.0 and it didn't budge for me..

Magitek on
    edited March 2009
    XOCentric wrote: »
    There are a few exceptional people who enjoy sneaking around and murdering people, being that rogue guy.... best of luck to you. For everyone else, you will need the team to get and keep a city, buy expensive skills and crafting supplies.

This, this is a good summary right here. If you try to solo mobs at a spawn all by yourself, you will probably die frustrated.

-Mobs do not stand still for you to play whack-a-mole, quite the contrary actually, almost to the other extreme.

-Mobs close with you, firing spells or arrows all the way, then melee you for a while, if you start to get the upper hand, they will bugger off on you. If you dont manage to shoot them to death, they will 180 probably when you're not looking or busy with another closer mob and commence their assault again.

-Mobs do not have an aggro range, if they can see you, they will come after you. This appears to be limited to a radius around their spawn. There are also a portion of mobs in a spawn that patrol the spawn area, thus eliminating being able to account for all mobs being killed and being "safe".

-You have to use teamwork in groups to tackle mobs. Two of us with decent teamwork still have trouble with the basic mobs. This is a combination of very fast respawn time and the constant ebb and flow of attack and retreat. The only surefire tactic is to literally surround a mob and hack it to death, but if you factor in knockbacks/jumping/multiple mobs attackers, it becomes a swirling melee where you may tag your buddies as often as the monsters.

Yeah, and if you manage to grab only one or two, it's pretty easy. Pelting them with mana missile while they close in softens them up a good bit. It's just that grabbing only one or two is hard as balls to do.

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png