As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The War on Paint: We Put Bears on Art Men

RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Critical Failures
kislev_bear.jpg
(Picture not done by forum users)

A lot of tabletop games involve the use of miniatures or other play aids (hand-made dungeons, illustrations, paintings, etc), and this is the thread for them. Herein we talk shop about the full gauntlet of tabletop hobby activities: modelling, painting, sculpting, converting, and many more I am certain I have forgotten. Do not be afraid to ask questions! We all started horribly, and we have no problem letting you know our secret painting methods(in turn, making them not so secret).

There are some great sites out there for painters, converters, etc. While I am not personally big on using them, I know a lot of people do. Feel free to let me know any other sites you know, I'll throw them into this post!

http://www.brushthralls.com/ - A long time favorite of many of the users on these forums, filled with good tutorials

www.dakkadakka.com - While its more community than anything else, the modeling and painting forums are a great place to get advice on things.

We've been blessed with some incredible work shown off in the thread. Here is but a taste of some of the pieces of art we saw in the last thread:

Niklas Ultramarines
0003rasf

Dissociator's Tyranids
DSCF2817.jpg

Asher's Warmachine Defender
Defender3.jpg

Mr. Jingle's Marines
Picture009.jpgPicture013.jpg

CMDante is just rediculously good
IMG_0979.jpg

Stupid ]-[arlequin and his awesome stuff
3245211404_a173a450ac.jpg

Ein is crazy. Apparently he likes orks.
paintzanzag31yd9.jpg

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
Raslin on

• Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited March 2009
    whatever happened to Ein's bike boss?

Dareth Ram on
  • Mr. JinglesMr. Jingles Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Aw thanks for putting me up. I have a landspeeder, veterans, and half an assault squad done. I'll get some pictures up!
    Edit: BETTER pictures. Those kinda suck hard.

Mr. Jingles on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cool, new thread. Heres what I have done to my possessed Vindicator so far. My first time ever using GS, so be kind :P:
    The Vindicator. I tried to make the plow dozer blade look like it had grown gums and teeth. 1002087.jpg
    A side view. 1002088.jpg
    Another side view.1002093.jpg
    The front view. The stuff coming out of the cannon is supposed to be blood, and the Khorne Berserker is being impaled by the tooth. I imagined it as if the berserker coulden't get out of the way fast enough and was run over, still continuing to shoot even after impalement. I was going to have his right hand writing "My blood for the blood god" on the non-gummy part of the blade, not sure if I am anymore.1002101.jpg
    Not sure how it came out so blurry, but this is supposed to be an eye.1002103.jpg

I need to get some more GS before I can continue, but I am really enjoying this process so far.

Foolish Chaos on
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That spotlight is creepy awesome.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Those teeth are awesome but they look a tiny bit fragile.

W2 on
  • AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i like it, quite ott - though seems more nurgle than khorne?

ps thanks for giving me props in the op! <3

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Blue dot!

Got some stuff from Woodland Scenery for basing. Fine ballast and some coarse gravel. Figure I'll mix a cup of sand with like a half cup of gravel for consistency. Pics when I get a couple models based to get your guys' opinion.

EDIT: BTW thanks Raslin for putting up a kind of "Best Of Last Thread" in the OP. I think this is a tradition we should adopt in the future.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'll say the teeth are awesome in concept, but I would've recommended a little more practice before putting them into execution. They look a bit too flat, and not formed enough. Practicing with a little modeling clay until you've got something that looks good an toothy might be a good idea.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah I'm mostly hoping that the paint will be what brings it closer to my Khorne concept. As for the teeth being too flat: I agree somewhat, and will probably be forming some clay around the two larger ones, as they are the ones I really notice as being too skinny when I look at them from the sides. Again I am also hoping that paint will bring out them as being teeth once I get to that stage.

Foolish Chaos on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    is that a goddamn dude riding a bear?

PiptheFair on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Damn straight.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    nice op raslin :^:

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I didn't make the cut :(

Sharp101 on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The next thread is really going to have to be, 'we paint beer, man,' or something.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited March 2009
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    I didn't make the cut :(

Me either, but you don't see me sniffling like a little girl!
    *sniff*

Dareth Ram on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What I'm working on.
    Engineer2.jpg
    Engineer1.jpg
    Banefriend.jpg

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited March 2009
    Ha HA! What _I'm_ working on!
    lb.jpg

Nam, that is just one fricking huge chunk of resin. Maybe I should put it in the dishwasher to clean the mold release off. :D

lb023.jpg
    (Space marines included for scale.)
    Now I need help on what a good color scheme to paint this up would be. It's going to end up going alongside my other urban ruins, so giving it a color scheme reminiscent of more recent building materials wouldn't be out of place.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • HatchetHatchet Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So i started painting my nids. Here's my first warrior.

dsc01810t.jpg

I like it so far considering this is my first time seriously trying to paint. Not sure how to improve it =/ any advice would be helpful like what wash i should use or if and what i should highlight. also I have no idea how to paint scything talons. i want to go from scorched brown to a skull white but i can not figure out how to fade it.

oh and i plan on fixing the teeth and the eye they look really bad too me =[

Hatchet on
    edited March 2009
    for washes, it looks like devlan mud would work for the body, and the sepia for the yellow shell (though just in the recess, where one shell meets the next)

I like the pale yellow on the edge of the shell.

Dareth Ram on
  • CMDanteCMDante Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    FW engineers for the win! Those models are great, really need to get myself some.

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante on
  • NiklasNiklas SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    First of all, I'm honored to have my "Corps Mariniers" in the OP, thanks! :)

timspork; those guards are just about the coolest miniatures I can think of. Cadians are cool, but Death Korps are fucking incredible.

Gabriel_Pitt: Thats a pretty awesome thing. Is it some kind of imperial ruins?

Niklas on
  • NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That's Weathertop, from LOTR. A fine, fine piece of terrain. Worthy as a shrine to the Emperor, methinks :P

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Seriously guys, Death Korps are the greatest thing ever. I just wish I had more money. :(

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• DampCatDampCat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Posting for thread locating.

DampCat on
    fiawal6.jpg
    "EVEN IN DEATH I STILL COOK MOTHERFUCKERS".
  • Mr. JinglesMr. Jingles Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Seriously guys, Death Korps are the greatest thing ever. I just wish I had more money. :(

The curse of the hobby.

Mr. Jingles on
    edited March 2009
    I would absolutly hate to paint a whole army of Death Korps. There's so much detail on each guy that I'd go insane trying to paint all the models I'd need. I'm much happier having small groups of them as attachments to my main force.

That said, does anyone know what the most powerful thing I can dunk resin models in to strip paint off them without melting the model is?

Librarian's ghost on

edited March 2009
    Acetone might not totally rape resin like it does plastic, but I would seriously run a few tests first to be sure. Otherwise, you could just go with goold ol' simple green.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited March 2009
    I've never had very good luck getting all the paint off of FW stuff with simple green. There's always some stuff stuck in cracks.

I'll run some tests with acetone.

Librarian's ghost on

edited March 2009
    Does anyone know where I can get a large supply of ground up slate? I'm liking the results of it but I don't want to have to keep buying the GW Basing kit just to get it.

Gods damn it. Thank's to SJ, I'm probably going to have to start getting LOTR guys for the new GW game. Tomorrow I'm thinking of getting a box of Gondor guys to see if I can hack the painting. (Spray Boltgun + Black Wash = done lol)

Plus it might be a refreshing break from the IG.

Librarian's ghost on

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    a buddy of mine says that pinesol works great taking paint off, im not sure how it would effect plastics or resins.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    For plastic and resin use simple green. For metals you can use whatever toxic substance you can get your hands on.

SJ on
    edited March 2009
    No place in Canada will sell Simple Green anymore.

I hit up Rona, Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Sears Hardware, every department store you can think of... No one had it.

Dareth Ram on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I use Super Clean that I buy at Canadian Tire.

8026130_042907i.jpg

Strips plastic and metal models perfectly

Sharp101 on
    edited March 2009
    Weathertop is on hold until I get more primer, and figure out what colors I'm going to need for it, because I imagine that it's going to take entire pots of each color I'll use. So until then, I'm finishing up my backlog of tanks.

FW Salamander is now done.
    gate001.jpg

gate002.jpg

gate003.jpg

I think it makes a good companion to the Salamander I kitbashed a while back.

salamandar001.jpg

I guess the thing with me is, if a vehicle is going to have an open compartment, I really can't stand to see it uncrewed.

salamandar002.jpg

Next up will be finishing my kitbashed Laser Tank-Destroyer.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited March 2009
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    I use Super Clean that I buy at Canadian Tire.

8026130_042907i.jpg

Strips plastic and metal models perfectly

thanks, Sharp! :) I'll give it a shot.

Dareth Ram on
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Weathertop is on hold until I get more primer, and figure out what colors I'm going to need for it, because I imagine that it's going to take entire pots of each color I'll use. So until then, I'm finishing up my backlog of tanks.

Depending on the quantity, you can take paint swatches to Lowe's or whatever to get large amounts for pretty cheap. I can't guarantee how well it will behave with a brush, though.

Toothy on
  • JackmodeJackmode Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Alright...I've lurked long enough, now it's time to man up and show the goods. At any rate, somebody needs to post some WHFB stuff here, because the thread is pretty 40k heavy.

Two pics of my Varghulf:
    varg1.jpg
    varg2.jpg

Two pics of a my first WIP dire wolf:

dire1.jpg
    dire2.jpg

(Yeah, I know the bases are fairly plain. I kinda like them that way, so they're not very flashy.)

Aside from the wolves, I'm also working on a winged vampire hero and Konrad von Carstein. It'll be a while before I have some pics of them, but I DO have some finished skeletons. I'll be posting some pics of them sometime soon.

Jackmode on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That's a really nice colour scheme

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I love the red on the Varghulf's claw and the wolf's meaty bits. Really visceral and shiny.

:^:

Mongrel Idiot on
    edited March 2009
    digging the white!

Dareth Ram on