...and all of this will happen again.
After forty years passing without a single word from the Cylons, they returned, and all but eradicated the human race. In this time of strife, they must put aside the petty differences that once separated them and focus on one thing â€” survival.
Humanity's only hope of a future is to find a new home; a place called Earth. The Cylons, however, are in constant and tireless pursuit. They now look, breathe and bleed exactly like humans. Cylons have infiltrated the Fleet, destroyed resources, and threaten to finish the extermination they have begun. The humans have no choice but to run, plagued by the paranoia of an indistinguishable enemy.
Are you a Cylon who will help to erase any memory of the human race? Or will your resilience and determination to survive prove to the Cylons that humanity is worth saving?
With one week left to go before the conclusion of the most epic show currently running, I feel it's an appropriate time to get the ball rolling on an idea that I've been kicking around in the BSG thread for a little while: a 4-round game of BSG, mirroring the four seasons of the show.
So, how will participating in this game be different from simply participating in 4 back-to-back(-to-back-to-back) rounds of the game? There are a few ways:
- Each round will contain a different cast of characters, as well as a different objective card, based on the highlights of each season's plot. The first round will be mostly vanilla (though there are a couple twists), with the mechanics growing increasingly intense in later rounds. Experienced Phalla players are encouraged to participate.
- There will be a scoring system, to provide continuity between the four rounds. Details of the scoring system are explained below.
- In order to improve balance (since the Cylons seem to always frakking win around here), resources will be tweaked at the start of each round, in accordance with the difficulty of the conditions provided by that round's objective card.
- In addition, the starting resources for each round will be influenced by the end conditions of the previous round.
So, how does the scoring system work?
- At the end of each round, each member of the winning team (Humans/Cylons) will be awarded 10 points.
- In the event of a Human victory: (pssh, right) The Admiral and President will each be awarded 5 points. In addition, the Cylon players will each be awarded 1 point for each resource that is "in the red" at the end of the game.
- In the event of a Cylon victory: The Human players will each be awarded 2 points for each resource that remains "in the blue".
- At the end of Round 4, points will be totaled and the player(s) with the most points will be declared champion(s). If that kind of thing matters to you. And I think it does.
This will be an "epic" game, that is to say, consisting of 10 players. Preference will be given to those who have previously GMed rounds of BSG here at CF. In addition, I will be adopting the following house-rule: Each skill deck will be doubled, to 42 cards. Of the two resulting 5-powered cards in each deck, one will be Valkun's variant of the card, provided below:
- Engineering 5. Blackbird - Action: Roll a die. If 6 or greater, place one destroyed Raptor or Viper into the Reserves.
- Piloting 5. Formation Strike - Action: Activate every Unmanned Viper in one area and any characters in that area may activate their Viper.
- Tactics 5. Emergency Jump - Action: Roll a die and remove up to that many Civilian Ships from the board.
- Leadership 5. Action Stations - Action: Every player except Revealed Cylons may make one movement.
- Politics 5. Political Favor - Action: Choose any other player. They may draw up to three cards of any type. The cards do not need to be in their skillset.
As for the other rules, they can be read here
, though I suspect most (probably all, actually) of the players who would sign up for this sort of thing are already quite familiar with them.
Each round will have its own thread, containing the relevant cast of characters and objective card. For now, though, sign up in any color!
6. El Skid