As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The War on Paint: We Put Bears on Art Men

• SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Really diggin' the flesh on the wolves, actually...

SJ on
  • JackmodeJackmode Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    digging the white!

Thanks...the first time I saw the Varghulf model, I had to have it. It's an awesome sculpt, and there's a lot of primal fury in it. However, I really wanted it to stand out, and a brown/grey/black color scheme seemed very boring.

So I went with white.

Aaaaand...since I'm a big dork, I'm writing a back-story for my army. It will be brief, but when it's done, I might post it here even though it's a bit OT. It explains the white bat, the origins of my army, etc. Fun stuff!

Jackmode on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    SJ wrote: »
    Really diggin' the flesh on the wolves, actually...

Thanks. One of my favorite moments in video game history is the dogs from Resident Evil. When they jumped through the windows in the original game, I just about jumped through the ceiling. Scared the piss out of me. So I really wanted to work some dire wolves in.

The new dire wolf models are...well, they're a colossal pain in the ass, from start to finish. Assembling was rough, and they require a lot of GS to fill in the cracks. Painting them has been challenging, since it's tough to tell where the muscle starts and the skin ends.

The biggest thing for me was creating a different sense of texture for each component: skin, muscle, hair, and bone. So far, I'm VERY pleased with the results. I just hope the rest of the unit turns out as well as the first.

Jackmode on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited March 2009
    Jackmode wrote: »
    digging the white!

Thanks...the first time I saw the Varghulf model, I had to have it. It's an awesome sculpt, and there's a lot of primal fury in it. However, I really wanted it to stand out, and a brown/grey/black color scheme seemed very boring.

So I went with white.

Aaaaand...since I'm a big dork, I'm writing a back-story for my army. It will be brief, but when it's done, I might post it here even though it's a bit OT. It explains the white bat, the origins of my army, etc. Fun stuff!

May I ask how you did it? I'm almost always painting fur, and I'm getting tired of doing it gray all the time.

Dareth Ram on
    edited March 2009
    May I ask how you did it? I'm almost always painting fur, and I'm getting tired of doing it gray all the time.

Sure thing. It's very similar to the way I paint bone, actually. Scorched Brown base, then a heavy Bleached Bone dry-brush, then a light Skull White dry-brush. I wanted it to be a creamy white, to contrast the grey white of the skin. I was kind of disappointed at first, because it didn't turn out as clean looking as I wanted, but then I realized that this is a bestial, blood-sucking, killing machine...probably doesn't have the best hygiene in the world heh.

Jackmode on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ChuvChuv Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've been lurking for a while as I just started some Necrons. Although I did ask a few questions. Still, I would assume I'm lurking 'til I grow a pair and post some shots. Well, I'm getting better, which isn't saying much. But, seeing you guys in action, is serious inspiration to get better and get the painting done. But, maybe Monday or something I will have a treat for you guys. Pictures of a SM I painted at the ripe age of 12. It's just terrible. I find it humorous.

Chuv on
    PSN: Chuvakie
    XBL: Chewyy
    Steam: chuvakie
    edited March 2009
    Everyone's first models pretty much look terrible. I know mine were.

SJ on
    edited March 2009
    Jackmode wrote: »

Sure thing. It's very similar to the way I paint bone, actually. Scorched Brown base, then a heavy Bleached Bone dry-brush, then a light Skull White dry-brush. I wanted it to be a creamy white, to contrast the grey white of the skin. I was kind of disappointed at first, because it didn't turn out as clean looking as I wanted, but then I realized that this is a bestial, blood-sucking, killing machine...probably doesn't have the best hygiene in the world heh.

Thanks man!

Chuv wrote: »
    I've been lurking for a while as I just started some Necrons. Although I did ask a few questions. Still, I would assume I'm lurking 'til I grow a pair and post some shots. Well, I'm getting better, which isn't saying much. But, seeing you guys in action, is serious inspiration to get better and get the painting done. But, maybe Monday or something I will have a treat for you guys. Pictures of a SM I painted at the ripe age of 12. It's just terrible. I find it humorous.

I posted my first models in January and they are so terrible. there are sitting on my shelf and I'm debating whether to just toss them or not.

I was helping my 14 year old brother try and paint Salamander marines (saw me get into it, wanted to get into it, too), and it hurt so much to see him discouraged with his first batch. :(

Dareth Ram on
    edited March 2009
    SJ wrote: »

~10 years ago I painted my first miniature. It was a dwarf slayer from the old Talisman board game. After I finished base-coating his orange hair, green pants, and fat fleshy body, I washed the entire model with black ink. Oh, and I was happy with the results, even though it looked like total shit.

His filthy skin and crooked eyes still haunt my dreams.

Anyhow, I got better at painting, and played WHFB in high school before taking a loooong break. Just got back into it roughly a year ago. My first model after "coming back" wasn't great, but I was happy that it wasn't as bad as that old slayer heh.

Jackmode on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Top o' the page, ma!
    Toothy wrote: »
    Weathertop is on hold until I get more primer, and figure out what colors I'm going to need for it, because I imagine that it's going to take entire pots of each color I'll use. So until then, I'm finishing up my backlog of tanks.

Depending on the quantity, you can take paint swatches to Lowe's or whatever to get large amounts for pretty cheap. I can't guarantee how well it will behave with a brush, though.

I can't imagine any paint I can get mixed at Lowe's being any good for miniature painting, and I bet it'd too expensive to be worth it, as well as giving me about 1000x more paint than I need. I'm talking about the Weathertop project taking multiple 3 ml pots of paint, which is probably going to run me $15-$20 all told.
    Two pics of my Varghulf:
    Man, that Varghulf is a wicked beast. Definitely a much more striking paintjob than the usual brown. Brown makes it look like a beast. The pale tones make it look like a supernatural, gonna-eat-your-face beast.
    I think my first models looks just fine, but then again I didn't actually get into collecting and painting until my 20s, but I'd spent a lot of time before that around people into the hobby, so I had a pretty good grasp on theory going in. That, and well, neither Necrons nor IG are that hard to do a simple job that still looks good on.
    cron010.jpg

Finally, today's tank #2, the Laser Tank Destroyer, is done!

gate004.jpg

gate005.jpg

Next up - Hydra Flak Tank (the actual FW kit this time, and not another kitbash)

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited March 2009
    what do you kitbash with, Gabriel?

Also, this forge world venny-dreadnought is giving me lip. so much of it requires metallics... and I like metallics, but it seems most of the model will be metallic. Should have known better.

Dumbing down the sheen with washes seems to help.

Dareth Ram on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The Destroyer was a Leman Russ, with a WWII kit for the body, and a random plastic tube for the gun.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I forgot how high quality that Weathertop model/terrain is. I'm used to just slapping some Lowe's brand Beastial Brown on my terrain and drybrushing with real paint. Sometimes posting from behind the work filter is a bad idea. :P

Toothy on
  • CMDanteCMDante Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just cleaning up my photobucket account a little and thought I'd post some pics of a couple of older mini's I've done:

Ultra's (circa 2005-2006) note the lower quality as I was attempting an army at the time:
    DSCN0696.jpg
    DSCN0704.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    Finished2-1.jpg
    DSCN0716.jpg
    DSCN0728.jpg

Vampire Counts (circa early 2008 - first model painted following 2 year absence):
    IMG_0831.jpg

Chaos (circa mid 2008):
    IMG_0963.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg

Ork (circa late 2008 - first Ork in 12 years wanted to try some new styles):
    IMG_1176.jpg

Here are some of my first ever GW mini's (1989-1990). You might want to start mentally preparing yourselves and getting a bucket handy now though.....your going to truly understand the meaning of god awful fugly as sin....
    IMG_0909.jpg

and my GF's first and only model (I made her paint it to try and practice my "teaching" skills):
    IMG_0929.jpg

She painted everything herself, I simply advised and helped with colour choice.

Hope this doesn't overload the page with images, if it bothers anyone let me know and I'll set them as spoilers or remove them.

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante on
  • drama_drama_ Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    holy shit your ultramarines get me hard. highlighting is spectacular, detail is superb, and their faces are just astounding.

drama_ on
  • W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    CMDante wrote: »
    Just cleaning up my photobucket account a little and thought I'd post some pics of a couple of older mini's I've done:

Ultra's (circa 2005-2006) note the lower quality as I was attempting an army at the time:

As someone who is not very good at painting, I find your use of the phrase "low quality" to be hilarious. Those Ultramarines look great.

W2 on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    W2 wrote: »

As someone who is not very good at painting, I find your use of the phrase "low quality" to be hilarious. Those Ultramarines look great.

That is exactly what I thought.

That goblin is excellent though. It gives me hope that knowledge and some basic brush ability are enough to get miniatures looking decent, if not amazing.

admanb on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hmm... Maybe I should go dig up my first model?

Sharp101 on
  • Mr. JinglesMr. Jingles Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    *drool*

Mr. Jingles on
  • NiklasNiklas SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dante: thats bloody amazing. Those Ultras made me wanna go and stuff all my mans in the trash and never touch them again.

Niklas on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Here are some of my first ever GW mini's (1989-1990).
    Fuck yeah space crusade! My first figures painted were probably hero quest skeletons.
    Those scouts are awesome. More scouts should have mohawks.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    edited March 2009
    Dante is my hero.

<3

Love the Konrad. I was going to go with a similar color scheme (red/bronze) before I saw your model, so hopefully mine turns out as well as yours. Well, it won't, but let's hope I get close. Furthermore, your other models are completely awesome. Really like that daemonette...the skin is very nicely done.

Your GF's model is also very nice! That's a hell of a lot better than any first model I have ever seen. Tell her to come out of retirement, IMO.

:^:

PS: LOL @ your firsts. Worse than my slayer, but not by much. I wish I still had him for pic purposes, but I tossed him years ago.

Jackmode on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    Finally, today's tank #2, the Laser Tank Destroyer, is done!

That thing is bad ass. It's definitely the phallic factor going for it heh...

Jackmode on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Why do I always run out of Super glue when I need it? I decided to stay home and do some things like build Chimera #4 and 5 for my Mech Platoon and I only get one hull done before the glue runs out.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited March 2009
    Don't you use plastic glue for chimera's and plastic kits?

It makes a stronger join and also does some minor gap filling.

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante on
    edited March 2009
    Plastic glue doesn't let you go back and take things apart if you make a mistake.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Plastic glue doesn't let you go back and take things apart if you make a mistake.

Yes. Also super glue is obtainable at pretty much anywhere.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• KeidrychKeidrych Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Those Ultramarines are fantastic.

Keidrych on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I find plastic glue much more forgiving to work with than super glue. The fact that it doesn't set instantly gives some wiggle room when putting the parts together.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    edited March 2009
    Gotta agree with Dayspring. Pulling things apart can be completely avoided by "dry run" assembling. At the end of the day I prefer the sturdy finish plastic glue provides.

That said, for most mini's I pin all the joins and therefore need to use superglue. For tanks though, polycement all the way.

Cheers,

Dante

P.S. - Thanks for the kind comments guys. None of you should despair about the quality of your work as these forums have the highest continuous quality levels I've seen! For those new to the hobby, just take your time and practice the basics, my early attempts show how bad I was and it is only in the last 5 years or so that I have gotten anything close to as good as I would like to be. That was done largely through reading as many tutorials and guides from top painters online, studying their work and practice.

CMDante on
    edited March 2009
    Unless you find out somewhere down the line that something's awry and need to take off a piece then. That's why I prefer superglue.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited March 2009
    The first rhino I put together, the hull section and the two side engine/track sections aren't even glued together. Shit just fits real snug like.

SJ on
    edited March 2009
    Unless you find out somewhere down the line that something's awry and need to take off a piece then. That's why I prefer superglue.

Greed. I pin almost all my stuff now too so I have to.

In other news I found a Death Korps tank commander that I completely forgot I had so he's going in the turret of the Combat Engineers' Chimera.

Librarian's ghost on

edited March 2009
    What I'm currently working on!

Finally decided what arms I wanted to paint with it, and started painting my Forge World Venerable. Just base coating at the moment.

venny1.jpg

Also,

micro_art.jpg
    I bought some of Micro Art's generic barbarian heads to use for Wolf Guard. After having to sand the heads all the way to the ear, I finally managed to fit them into the terminator torso. Mostly.

Dareth Ram on
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man if I don't get some stuff to paint soon I am going to kill something.

On a plus note I did pick up the old Space Wolf battle company on ebay. The bad news is all my stuff is still in Hawaii.

My stuff needs to get back like now.

Dareth, that venerable is looking nice so far.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
    edited March 2009
    3 days, 3 tanks.

Hydra Flak Tank. The dragon heads were put there by the guy I bought this from, but I think they have a certain amount of character, so I left them.

gate007.jpg

gate006.jpg

gate008.jpg

I'm really liking how the commander came out.
    gate009.jpg

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited March 2009
    Goddamn dude...you're king of the fucking tanks.

Jackmode on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ork (circa late 2008 - first Ork in 12 years wanted to try some new styles):
    IMG_1176.jpg
    Hey, I really like this Ork, I'm about to start painting mine (also bad moons) and was wondering how you did the skin?

815165 on
  • NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I love the dragon heads, myself, Gabe

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Finally finished up Telion. The dark grey of his cloak is flat because I still haven't figured out what camo pattern I'm going with, but it looks fine right now and it shouldn't be hard to add afterwards. I'm pretty happy with how the old dude came out. Hope I can keep this up with the rest of the army.

Imagem228.jpg

Progress on the 1000 point Space Marine army:
    Imagem222.jpg

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.