As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Higher Technology

the_Willardthe_Willard Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Artist's Corner
k, so one day i decided to go back and see how Penny Arcade started, since the particular comic i read said something about Mike's (Gabe's) art improving...and i sat there and read the whole 10 years of it. After that...i was inspired to start drawing my own based on the generally humorous shit that happens when myself and my friend hang out and play games. i started out drawing the whole thing in Illustrator with a mouse, then got a tablet and used that to draw it in Illustrator, and now what i'm doing is doing all the outlining in Illustrator and then coloring (i've even started doing some shading!) in Photoshop. However these all represent my first attempt at doing any of these things (or even using Photoshop and Illustrator) and some general help and critiquing would be useful.

here's the mouse-drawn:
warhawk2.jpg

and the early tablet:
htrockband2.jpg

and the final style i'm planning to stick with:
creativedifferences3.jpg

k, the first two i had to copy from my blog where i post them as a corrupted hard drive cause me to lose the originals, but the last one is the original file, which is why it's bigger. the character are, as i said, based on myself and my friend, including their look. Even the clothes are based on an actual t-shirt and hoodie we wear often (hey...i like my skull and crossed swords shirt, yes i left the swords out on the Dane character) Also, before you level criticism keep these things in mind: 1) these are single panels taken out of context so no, they're not funny and 2) i know there isn't a real background in the 3rd one, it's intentional. That was a kind of "breaking the 4th wall" one so i didn't want it to have a real-world setting, just kind of a blank space.

edit: Oh! my comic is called Higher Technology, hence the title of the thread
and i just noticed i happened to pick three panels that have "dude..." in them hahaha, subconscious maybe?

The Neverhood is what TRULY started my gaming addiction, therefore respect is due.
the_Willard on

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The entire thing gives me the impression that you're not even trying.

I'm not even going to go past the first panel. You take a look at it and tell me what's wrong with it. I'm going to be bold enough to wager that you don't know what's wrong with it, and that's why I'm just going to tell you now that you need a ton of art classes.

Metalbourne on
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey dude! I hope you don't mind, I drew some fanart for your comic:

htech.jpg

Your character in the holla hoodie looks like my idiot friend in Vancouver who is stupid.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Hey dude! I hope you don't mind, I drew some fanart for your comic:

htech.jpg

Your character in the holla hoodie looks like my idiot friend in Vancouver who is stupid.

Holy cap, I just saw it.

NotASenator on
  • the_Willardthe_Willard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    holy shit dude that's...pretty awesome! makes me wish my comic were better lol. now i feel obligated to show it to you but i'm worried about "site-whoring" ooo! i'll put the link in my sig.

the_Willard on
    The Neverhood is what TRULY started my gaming addiction, therefore respect is due.
    edited March 2009
    k, so i decided to try another style again. i just can't make up my mind, damnit. haha, anyway, here's an unfinished look at where i'm headed. i still gotta finished the outline for dane and then draw lewis, and color and shade the whole thing. but i'm guessing you can tell just by looking at it.

anyway:
    werefanboy1.jpg

the_Willard on
  • BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Haha, that is so spot on!

Betelgeuse on
  • wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

My girlfriend and I (who merely lurk here) spent an unreasonable amount of time trying to figure out why you got an infraction for this.

It was kind of beautiful when the pieces all came together.

wasted pixels on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i also can't figure out why trip was infracted?

anyways, are there really hoodies that say "holla" on them?

beavotron on
  • wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    i also can't figure out why trip was infracted?

The post is full of clues. Just ask yourself what Encyclopedia Brown would do.

wasted pixels on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ..some one tell me. I dont get it.

Kendeathwalker on
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sounds like a mystery for the mystery solving gang! "ruh roh"

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited March 2009
    Maybe I'm just good with faces but as soon as he posted it, I cracked up.

NotASenator on
    edited March 2009
    Basically, bombs got pissed off because michael reavealed to the world what a fatass he is.

Metalbourne on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hahahahahahahahah

Godfather on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hahaha, oh man, did Mr. Firman really paint Bombs in there?

Tam on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    bombs is either skinny or metal is an asshole.

Kendeathwalker on
    edited March 2009
    if that dichotomy wasn't false, you wouldn't need to ask that question

Tam on
    edited March 2009
    well does someone wanna let me in on it or am i the butt of the joke?

the_Willard on
  • BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    well does someone wanna let me in on it or am i the butt of the joke?
    The quote
    .Tripwire. wrote:

is referring to bombardier, who is the mod that subsequently gave Tripwire the infraction

Betelgeuse on
    edited March 2009
    i was actually thinking exactly that because of some of the comments, but i dunno what the hell he looks like soooo...yeah.

anyway, finished that panel (more or less) i was working on in yet another style.

werefanboya.jpg

i'll smooth out the shading later, right now i just don't feel like it.

the_Willard on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    bottom one is much better, in therms of tone, and colour.
    Are you drawing your pics with vectors? I wouldnt draw with vectors, unless i am accurately tracing a sketch i did with pencil. It looks really odd. Also, go back and refine things if they look wrong. The blonde hair dudes eye-brow is bleeding into his eye. That kinda screws up the entire face. So try and refine the little details if they aren't looking quite right.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited March 2009
    Elbows are too far up. Unless they're both very tense, they should be slouched a little, allowing the forearms to rest on the thighs.

Tam on
    edited March 2009
    The ears are really far back and up on the heads. You should look at pictures of real people and try to stylize that into a cartoon.

NotASenator on
    edited March 2009
    hey...where the hell did my pic go? and thanks for the help, i'll def do some work on it taking those into account.

edit: k, i think i fixed whatever made the pic disappear. about the elbows i was trying to make it so they're resting the one arm on the arm of the couch, but Lewis (green sweatshirt guy) in particular looks pretty fucked up and i'm not quite sure how to make em look right. any chance someone has - or can draw quick - a sketch of something like how they SHOULD look?

yep, ears are def outta line. prob because i skip that whole "drawing the skeleton and crossed lines on the face to make sure everything's proportional and lined up" step. i just draw this for fun in my spare time (i haven't taken an art class since high school) for my handful of friends that think my cartoons are funny, but i want them to look better, which is why i came here, so maybe i'll start doing that.

last thing, i was trying to make Lewis look like he's doing that one raised eyebrow look but i def screwed it up, so i'll try and fix that too.

THANKS GUYS!

edit...again: Lewis's hands don't look quite right, but i suck at hands in general. ideas?

the_Willard on
    edited March 2009
    here's what i've fixed so far. goin snowboarding so that's all i have time for at the moment.

werefanboya.jpg

as you can prob see i decided (or maybe realized is a better word) there should be a shadow in the shape of Lewis's head on his left shoulder.

the_Willard on
    edited March 2009
    there, i think i managed to hit up all the crits you guys mentioned. so whaddya think?

werefanboya.jpg

the_Willard on
    edited March 2009
    honestly... i don't notice any change in any of the three images...

beavotron on
    edited March 2009
    The face of the guy on the right is more round and less distorted.

Also, there appears to be more highlights.

NotASenator on
    edited March 2009
    okay say you build a house
    but don't build a foundation
    instead you're just throwing up drywall randomly, chuck some wallpaper up, put a few paintings on the wall
    then someone comes and says "dude... that drywall looks hella crooked" so you kinda adjust it a bit.

you still have a house without a foundation, you can play around with that drywall till you're blue in the face, your house is still unstable.

here's your foundation: http://www.amazon.ca/New-Drawing-Right-Side-Brain/dp/0874774241

beavotron on
    edited March 2009
    1st image to 2nd image: lowered left guy's ear to line up properly, added proper shadowing to right guy's shoulder, blended shadows on couch, right guy's sweatshirt and left guy's beard better.

still needed: lower/fix elbows. take care of "blonde guy's eyebrow bleeding into his eye" from things mentioned by other posters

2nd image to 3rd image: adjusted right guy's elbow so it looks like it's resting beside him and reaching forward instead of being held in front of him like he's flexing (urgh! Hulk smash!) and fixed all the shadows and highlights on arm and front of torso in accordance. rounded out right guy's head and moved eyebrow up to stop if from bleeding into eye.
    the changes are def there if you look, especially if you look at them next to each other.

and thanks for the book recommendation beavotron but, like i said, i just do this for the 3 or 4 of my friend's who think my cartoon is funny. i don't really have to time or, more importantly, money to start investing into making this think look like a real artist drew it. I did bookmark that page though in case there comes a time were i have...the time...yeah that'll work.

anyway, now that i've gone through everything you guys mentioned looked wrong after the first post of it i don't look at it and immediately go "something doesn't look right," which is good enough for my purposes. SO thanks! and i'm sure i'll be back going "ok...so this is what i fucked up this time..."

the_Willard on
    edited March 2009
    oh well if it's just for fun, then have at it and keep having fun.

beavotron on
    edited March 2009
    o, damnit forgot: i'm getting HELLA better at using photoshop (which is probably my biggest hurdle, haha) by going back and looking at things per your recommendations so thanks for that too!

the_Willard on
    edited March 2009
    photoshop is like a giant puzzle
    you just gotta play around with it a lot to get it, if you have specific photoshop questions, just ask, there are lots of people around here who can help you with that.

beavotron on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    If you are not really looking to become a better and skilled artist, then why are you posting here?

bombardier on
    edited March 2009
    okay say you build a house
    but don't build a foundation
    instead you're just throwing up drywall randomly, chuck some wallpaper up, put a few paintings on the wall
    then someone comes and says "dude... that drywall looks hella crooked" so you kinda adjust it a bit.

you still have a house without a foundation, you can play around with that drywall till you're blue in the face, your house is still unstable.

here's your foundation: http://www.amazon.ca/New-Drawing-Right-Side-Brain/dp/0874774241

You're stupid. Aluminum siding will make that house look just fine. Fake it till you make it!

Metalbourne on
    edited March 2009
    bombardier wrote: »
    If you are not really looking to become a better and skilled artist, then why are you posting here?

just so i can get some tips on some of the more obvious things (to a more trained artist's eye anyway) that make my toons look off so i don't make those same mistakes EVERY time i draw them and have to sit there going "fuck...what IS it!?". Also so i can try and decide on the style i want to draw them in. And lastly so i can get a better handle on Photoshop in case the day comes where i do have the time and motivation to do some REAL artwork.

...although mostly because it was Penny Arcade that inspired me to draw a comic about me and my idiot friend playing videogames in the first place.

the_Willard on
    edited March 2009
    just so i can get some tips on some of the more obvious things (to a more trained artist's eye anyway)

Hey, genius, why don't you go back and look at the post right under the one that started this whole fucking travesty. Or was that not what you wanted to hear?

You're a lazy fuck who just isn't going to get better. I've seen a million different webcomics come through here and I've heard every single excuse ever given for sucking so bad. Everything from "being shitty is my style" to "It doesn't matter because its just for my two loser-ass freinds to get a giggle out of."

So what the fuck makes you special enough to tell anything other than, "go take a fucking art class?"

Metalbourne on
    edited March 2009
    you just gotta play around with it a lot to get it, if you have specific photoshop questions, just ask, there are lots of people around here who can help you with that.

hey so...since you offered...
    i still can't seem to get the same results off drawing with a tablet in Photshop that i do when i draw with just pencil and paper. is it just because i'm using a fairly cheap tablet, or did anyone else go through the same adjustment? anything special you did to close that gap, or does it just take time to adjust? as far as finding the tools i need in photoshop, i'm sure that i will get the hang of given enough time.

just so i can get some tips on some of the more obvious things (to a more trained artist's eye anyway)

Hey, genius, why don't you go back and look at the post right under the one that started this whole fucking travesty. Or was that not what you wanted to hear?

You're a lazy fuck who just isn't going to get better. I've seen a million different webcomics come through here and I've heard every single excuse ever given for sucking so bad. Everything from "being shitty is my style" to "It doesn't matter because its just for my two loser-ass freinds to get a giggle out of."

So what the fuck makes you special enough to tell anything other than, "go take a fucking art class?"

maybe the fact that just because i'm not planning to make a career out of drawing shouldn't exclude me from getting some help on the art that i DO draw, nor should the fact that i don't have the time or money to be spending on art classes and digesting art books, you elitist douchetool. although this doesn't make me special, just like any average person who decided to get back to doing some doodling because i saw something that inspired me to do so. (but CLEARLY being too busy with my life outside of drawing makes me a lazy fuck.) considering that i did manage to get some tips there are obviously other people here that feel the same way.
    no one's forcing you to come in here and post, if you're so terribly offended by my cartoons then just stay the fuck off the thread, it's not like it's sneaking up on you; "o hey, a new thread let's check that ou-Damnit! it's that Higher Technology thread again, sneaky bastard!" so tell me, is it that you are completely incapable of saying anything constructive, or just that you're incapable of NOT being a total fuckwad?

the_Willard on
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    douchetool? :D I've never heard that one.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
    edited March 2009

hey so...since you offered...
    i still can't seem to get the same results off drawing with a tablet in Photshop that i do when i draw with just pencil and paper. is it just because i'm using a fairly cheap tablet, or did anyone else go through the same adjustment? anything special you did to close that gap, or does it just take time to adjust? as far as finding the tools i need in photoshop, i'm sure that i will get the hang of given enough time.

maybe the fact that just because i'm not planning to make a career out of drawing shouldn't exclude me from getting some help on the art that i DO draw, nor should the fact that i don't have the time or money to be spending on art classes and digesting art books, you elitist douchetool. although this doesn't make me special, just like any average person who decided to get back to doing some doodling because i saw something that inspired me to do so. (but CLEARLY being too busy with my life outside of drawing makes me a lazy fuck.) considering that i did manage to get some tips there are obviously other people here that feel the same way.
    no one's forcing you to come in here and post, if you're so terribly offended by my cartoons then just stay the fuck off the thread, it's not like it's sneaking up on you; "o hey, a new thread let's check that ou-Damnit! it's that Higher Technology thread again, sneaky bastard!" so tell me, is it that you are completely incapable of saying anything constructive, or just that you're incapable of NOT being a total fuckwad?

Yeah, I did say something constructive in my first post, you bitchburglar.

Now go back and read it and fucking do what I told you to. Otherwise, pack up your shit and get the fuck out of my office.

Metalbourne on
This discussion has been closed.