As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

posts out of order...?

poop onepoop one Registered User regular
http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=183846&start=25

page two, starting with the first post in the thread, and then continuing willy nilly like?

most odd...i think its happening in other threads, too, but im not sure, yet...

also, as a random aside, it says ive been jailed since 1969, but really its only been since january.. >.>

calvin.gif
poop one on

• Options
    poop onepoop one Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=183653&start=275&sid=5626b92ec61d55cef987f55721ed8308

i just posted in this thread, and the post i see dirrectly above mine is dated april 22...i just cleared all my cookies, and that didnt help..

EDIT: this has to be happening to other people, too, right..?

poop one on
    calvin.gif
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2005
    Oh, not this again...

Fun error!

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    This has to be one of the worst errors in the world to debug.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2005
    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Oops, just saw this thread, it's happening in G&T too now. New posts in the G&T chat thread have been intermittantly moved to the first page for the last hour or so, after there were some strange site errors like a "500: internal server error" or something like that and a dialogue box asking for a username and password to log in to penny-arcade.com. When it happens all the posts after a certain post get moved to the front of the thread, and new ones get inserted somewhere around page 1. After a little while it goes back to normal for a few minutes, then switches back to messed up for a few minutes, and so on.

This is probably happening to other threads as well, but I've only looked in the G&T chat thread.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    It happenned in the G&T Attack of the Show thread as well.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2005
    I just made a post in the G&T chat thread and it's not showing up in the thread. However, if you look at my posts you can see that I actually posted in it.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    FAUrrego wrote:
    I just made a post in the G&T chat thread and it's not showing up in the thread. However, if you look at my posts you can see that I actually posted in it.
    Yeah, I can't find new posts at all anymore. I found my test post with the search, but I couldn't locate it in the thread.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AvenroshAvenrosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    I've been making posts in G&T as well, and they are being inserted to the middle of the thread instead of at the end...

It seems to be ok here though.

Avenrosh on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Heh, Blitz was the last poster in the G&T chat thread but the G&T Forum index page showed Kilogre.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Great av and sig there FAUrrego.

Avenrosh on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2005
    Yeah, it's still happening everywhere.

Have fun, Alpha.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Avenrosh wrote:
    Great av and sig there FAUrrego.
    The same goes for your sig.

Now lets get out our pitchforks, torches and boards with sharp nails in them and hunt down mySQL!

Unknown User on
  • Options
    5.465.46 Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    The Geek wrote:
    Yeah, it's still happening everywhere.

Have fun, Alpha.

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing in a number of threads, particularly the Blizzard North one.

phpBB must be robotrippin'.

5.46 on
    Stuff that Aeolist doesn't like = ID3 Tags, Ikaruga, Television, 5.46...
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2005
    For all of you experiencing this error, all is not lost!

the muddled threads still display properly in the preview panel when you hit 'post reply', so you can read threads in there. It's a bit of a pain (especially if you want to quote someone - you'll have to cut'n'paste), but it should tide you over until alpha gets online.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Good luck alpha.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Is MySQL shitting another enormous brick?

Rohaq on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    AlphaMonkey - it must suck to debug all this crap

On the upside, you are an admin, you must have some privelages :P

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    MuhahahahahaMuhahahahaha Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Aha, so it isn't just me. I was wonder what the fuck was going on when I noticed I had read the same series of posts 3 times across 7 pages.

I guess it causes some people to double and triple post because they think their post didn't show up.

Muhahahahaha on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2005
    It's also happening in the Electroplankton thread in G&T.

But I'm assuming all of G&T is affected though.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Just happened to the G&T chat thread and it's not just recent posts not appearing. The entire thread is out of order.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2005
    shadow9689 wrote:

Yeah...he has a whole harem he gets to choose from each night...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Legacy wrote:
    shadow9689 wrote:

Yeah...he has a whole harem he gets to choose from each night...
    Thus the "Alpha"

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Testing timestamps.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    I think it's fixed now.

I think.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Ok, the only reasonable way for me to debug this is to do the following. When this happens go to "View Source" copy + paste that source code inside [code] tags into a reply here. I'll see if I can track down any form of pattern.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    scjohnnoscjohnno Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    .yeknomahpla taht od ot erus eb ll'I

scjohnno on
    ...a doctrine which may, I fear, appear wildly paradoxical and subversive. The doctrine in question is this: that it is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. I must, of course, admit that if such an opinion became common it would completely transform our social life and our political system; since both are at present faultless, this must weigh against it. - Bertrand Russell
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    scjohnno wrote:
    I'm tempted to kill you for posting like that. I figured I should out and say it incase the police ever come looking for a suspect.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    scjohnno wrote:
    I'm tempted to kill you for posting like that. I figured I should out and say it incase the police ever come looking for a suspect.
    You know what would be great?

[backwardswhippy][/yppihwsdrawkcab]

come on come on

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited April 2005
    they're f'd up again...

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    ToastToast Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Source is too long for the post limiter :/

[edit] Anyway, Blizzard North thread in G&T. My timezone is GMT. All posts from Saturday and and most from Yesterday appear in order throughout the thread. All posts from after 10:57 pm yesterday and all of Today appear spread across the bottom of multiple pages.

List of misplaced posts

As of 10:04 am BST Today
    Page one:
    11:28pm yesterday jonny_digital
    11:34pm yesterday BahamutZERO
    11:40pm yesterday 5.46
    11:42pm yesterday Undead Scottsman
    11:42pm yesterday BahamutZERO
    11:45pm yesterday 5.46
    11:47pm yesterday BahamutZERO
    11:54pm yesterday jonny_digital
    11:58pm yesterday Toast
    12:01am today Undead Scottsman
    12:03am today BahamutZERO
    07:08am today Toast
    07:19am today Undead Scottsman (NOTE: this post states "Hey, this thread no longer a 'splode")
    08:21am today Undead Scottsman (NOTE: this post states "EDIT: Damn, the thread a 'sploded again.")
    08:41am today mcc

Page 2:
    10:57pm yesterday 5.46
    11:21pm yesterday Undead Scottsman
    11:22pm yesterday d_b
    08:13am today Salvation122

Page 3:
    12:06am today Toast
    12:07am today BahamutZERO
    12:14am today Mongrel Idiot
    12:20am today Undead Scottsman
    12:23am today Undead Scottsman
    12:30am today jonny_digital
    12:41am today BahamutZERO
    12:46am today Undead Scottsman
    01:14am today Dublo7
    01:18am today Undead Scottsman
    01:21am today tarnok (NOTE: "Um...am I the only one seeing posts that quote things that aren't said untill two pages later in the thread? The posts seem to be badly out of order."; "Edit: !!! There were four pages of posts when I hit submit and my post ended up at the bottom of the second page. I'll reiterate: !!!")
    01:31am today BahamutZERO

Page 4:
    No misplaced posts

Page 5: no misplaced posts; last post on p5 is 09:34pm yesterday

[edit2] Ok, when I went to bed, which was around 1:15am my time today, the thread looked fine. First report of things going wrong is 01:21 today. At this point, all posts made after 09:34pm yesterday were put into odd places. The first three went to the bottom of page 2. The next 11 went to the bottom of page 1. The next twelve went to the bottom of page 3, including the first few posts made since the reorder happened. No further posts were made until 07:08am when my next post shows up, now at the bottom of page 1. I'm fairly sure that at this point everything looked normal. Following post at 07:19am confirms this. Then something breaks again and the next post, like the original first broken post, ends up on page 2. The last three posts made then pop up on page 1, the first of which confirms it's buggered again.

It looks like, when something goes kooky, half an hour or so's worth of posts are dumped to page 2, then a bunch to page one, then a bunch to page three. The misplaced posts always occupy the bottom part of the page, and always extend right to the bottom. Actually, given the comment at the bottom of page three it's probably not that simple, as the poster's saying his post appears on page 2 for him at time of posting. Ugh. This is all too wierd. There's the data, anyway.

Toast on
  • Options
    scjohnnoscjohnno Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    scjohnno wrote:
    .uoy fo elbon yreV

scjohnno on
    ...a doctrine which may, I fear, appear wildly paradoxical and subversive. The doctrine in question is this: that it is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. I must, of course, admit that if such an opinion became common it would completely transform our social life and our political system; since both are at present faultless, this must weigh against it. - Bertrand Russell
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    This may sound extremely simplistic (and, in actuality, it is), but with all the modifications to the phpBB core that you and Ramius have done, is it possible that you're not sorting by post number but rather some other column (or even not sorting at all)?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Paladin wrote:
    scjohnno wrote:

come on come on

Good God, could such a thing be possible?

[backwards][/backwards]

That would be awesome.

Avenrosh on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    This may sound extremely simplistic (and, in actuality, it is), but with all the modifications to the phpBB core that you and Ramius have done, is it possible that you're not sorting by post number but rather some other column (or even not sorting at all)?
    Default is to sort by post time, we sort by post id. This was a change from phpBB default to correct some timesync issues at homelan.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Is all that crap I posted actually useful? As in, if it happens again, should I do it again?

Toast on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    Toast wrote:
    Is all that crap I posted actually useful? As in, if it happens again, should I do it again?
    It is. If you want to shoot off an email to alphamonkey<AT>penny [dash] arcade{DOT}com with the full source, it might save you some trouble :wink:

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited April 2005
    ...yeah. I knew that. Sure...

/me fires up the email client

Toast on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    Avenrosh wrote:
    Paladin wrote:
    scjohnno wrote:

come on come on

Good God, could such a thing be possible?

[backwards][/backwards]

That would be awesome.
    It should be. I already made one up in python.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2005
    I havn't delved this deaply into the phpBB core, but it's probably worth checking what it's using for id generation. Presumably it's not doing a SELECT max(id) since that would have brought the board to it's knees long before it reached this size.

If something like HiLo is in use, sorting by id could cause this kind of behaviour. Though it is odd that it never showed up on homelan.

Orthanc on
    orthanc