As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AT-43 - Is anybody out there?

2»

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm pretty sure that the pictures you see online are the quality, im sure up close an inhand you can see the mess ups etc, but they are table top quality from what i understand. They aren't Golden Deamon quality or pro painted but they work for pulling them out of the box and getting your game on.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I played at launch for a few months with my gamer group. Our take on the game was:

- Awesome rule system, makes 40k look like poo.
    - Pre - paints suck
    - Rackham is the worst gaming company....ever
    - So expensive, stupid packaging. (having to buy $40 core boxes, then 3... THREE...boxes of unit attachments if you dont want to proxy and have all the weapon attachments)

Seriously fuck Rackham, they ruin their own good game systems with stupid corporate decisions (im looking at you confrontation)

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thanks for the right-up Red. If unable to post pics, could you comment on how close your pieces are in paintjob quality compared to the site pictures?

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    Mr. JinglesMr. Jingles Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, it may be expensive and stupid packaging, but considering that right now in the U.S. it appears you can pick up a large army for about $100 dollars flat...

Mr. Jingles on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    yeah, i was going to mentions how cheap everything is right now, but i figured he didn't care. Didn't really want to feed the troll.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    Red_CascadeRed_Cascade Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Some of the web pics are of studio models that have been painted by a pro so the pre-paints dont match up to those, however the majority of pics are of the actual models. Other other thing is a few places say that the starter box mini's are of lower quality than the ones you get in unit boxes.

Anywho, pics in spoiler
    dscf0220medium.jpg
    dscf0221medium.jpg
    dscf0224medium.jpg
    dscf0226medium.jpg

Red_Cascade on
  • Options
    Mr. JinglesMr. Jingles Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey thanks man. I have to admit the walker looks pretty good for being out of the box. In fact, I just placed an order for Operation Damocles while I wasn't paying attention.

Edit: And is it acceptable to repaint, then? 'Cause the men look okay, but I think I could make them a bit better.

Mr. Jingles on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    yeah, from what i understand the paint acts like a primer and painting overit is no issue at all. Those faces look like I painted them :D never been very good with flesh my self.

Draeven on

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I ended up ordering the starter and some extras. If it's destiny is anything like my trial with Warmachine i'll play it about once, but being prepainted it should at least avoid the fate of sitting unassembled in a box for years.

Also apparently Therians can use nanotechnology or something to summon/build walkers in the middle of games? That sounds bad-ass.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    make sure you use the real rulebook and not the one in the damocles box set or you will be very disappointed in the depth of the game.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    i would imagine that works just like reserve points etc. I dont know since i haven't actualy read the rules. My order is currently on its way hopefully wil be here by tomorrow , cause i work all day wednesday. That was another one of my questions , about the rule books but I would rather play with the quickstart rules and get an idea if im actualy going to play instead of dumping more then 50 bucks into everything.

Draeven on

• Options
    edited March 2009
    the starter rulebook is VERY VERY basic and really does not give you a full understanding of the depth of strategy in the game. I am just saying, if you play the starter rules and are left with a "Huh, what's with all the hype around this game, it plays like heroclix" give it another shot with the full rulebook and you will be pleasantly surprised.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    i kinda figured the operation rules were , just a quick start thing and didn't cover all the indepth rules.

Draeven on

• Options
    edited March 2009
    So far all my games have been with the starter rules, and they work very well for getting you into the game. They do skip out a lot of the rules to give you a slip-streamed game. The most interesting rule IMHO was the activation of units and they really skip over that.

It defo did leave me wanting more (in a good way), the first thing on my second order was the full rule book.

Red_Cascade on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    stole this list from a local gaming forum I post on, it's a good list for new AT-43 players:

With all the new players for AT-43, I want to compile all the resources currently out there for the game.

Websites & Forums

http://at-43addict.com/
    Main AT-43 Website
    Official AT-43 Forums
    AT-43 Addict - Fan site with some good articles and tactics

Army Builder Programs

Try this link. It's for an army builder for AT-43. It's one of the best ones out there, though it can be a bit hard to navigate, as it's mainly command buttons. It will guide you through building a company, as only those units that are legal and available are selectable.
    Easy AT-43

Rules, Errata, & FAQ

You can download the majority of the "real" rules that are included in the full rulebook. It cover's pretty much everything you need to play, inlcuding Morale and Hero rules. Here's a link.
    Compressed Rules
    Errata
    FAQ

Cry Havoc! Newsletter Archive

Rackham's publication for AT-43 and Confrontation, these are archived online now, at the following link
    Cry Havoc! online archive

Here's a forum post with all the downloads from Cry Havoc in one place.
    Cry Havoc! downloads

Current Army Lists

UNA
    Red Blok
    Therians
    Karmans

Tokens & Markers

Here's the round and square tokens from the AT-43 website. The square ones have a nice little tutorial
    Round Tokens
    Square Tokens

Online Missions

This page has various other utilities in addition to some missions
    Utilities

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    GrimDog420 wrote: »
    AT43 Addict has some nice "getting started" articles, including a few starter army lists.

Dayspring on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    My second AT-43 order hasn't arrived :( Sent a mail to Arcane Miniatures but not heard anything back yet. Has anybody used them before?

Great set of info GrimDog, if the local forum you got that from don't mind we could pop that in the OP. Also, "EasyAT-43" is great, love the Inventory system it uses so you can track what you need to buy for certain lists :D

Red_Cascade on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    i should be getting my at-43 today.

Draeven on

• Options
    edited March 2009
    My second AT-43 order hasn't arrived :( Sent a mail to Arcane Miniatures but not heard anything back yet. Has anybody used them before?

Great set of info GrimDog, if the local forum you got that from don't mind we could pop that in the OP. Also, "EasyAT-43" is great, love the Inventory system it uses so you can track what you need to buy for certain lists :D

im sure they wouldnt care.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Got my order in from the Warstore, I'm going to get a few games under my belt before i think about buying the real rule book. Everything looks good, the skin is a bit Meh, but a quick wash wouldn't hurt. Over all its a nice box for 30 bucks. Also the operation frostbite comes with some chrystals as terraine and some pretty heavy duty double sided card stock mats. I like the way the intro rules work. Much better then the 40k box , they actualy tell you how the rules work in small chunks. Overall A quality stuff.

Draeven on

• Options
    edited March 2009
    My stuff showed up today as well (some of it anyway).
    Had a mess about with a couple of the starter missions tonight. Got a trip to take tomorrow, so i'll get a chance to give the main rulebook a read.
    I am very impressed with the quality of the figures though, even in the starter set.

Dayspring on
  • Options
    trednistrednis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I recommend the Easy AT- 43 for army creation (someone posted a link in an earlier post). The printable army sheets make keeping track of all the companies statistics very easy, and it has the resolution table at the bottom of every sheet.

My group is currently going through two of the Frostbite battle fronts right now, and going to expand to all three in a few weeks. The battlefronts are each about 6 different battlefields with different objectives and themes. The players construct several companies each and try to control the most areas over several in game weeks of combat.

The game is different if you are playing goal/ control oriented games or plain old smash the other player.

trednis on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Anyone fancy doing some trading?
    I don't really want the UNA from the starter set, but could use some more therians.

Dayspring on