As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pro Wrestling]ZZ TOP HOSTS RAW NEXT WEEK! Night of Champions July 26th!

• SkittlebrauSkittlebrau Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So ROH's first episode is this weekend on HDNet. Anyone else gonna be watching/ I'm pretty excited.

I wish Comcast carried HDNet. I also wish they showed PPVs in HD. I don't buy a lot of WWE PPVs, but I'd certainly consider getting big ones like Wrestlemania and the Royal Rumble if I could get them in HD.

Skittlebrau on
  • QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Isn't today National Stone Cold Steve Austin Day?

002_3458%7EWWE-Stone-Cold-Austin-3-16-Posters.jpg

Ahh Austin if only the WWE could copy his schtick with someones whose knees still work.

Happy 3:16 everybody! :lol:

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Shawn Michaels hasn't really been HBK since the end of the attitude era or so, but that is just one of the 'titles' that they keep putting on his name, such as the showstopper, Mr. Wrestlemania, The Main Event. And there are several reasons why he can only do so much with the DX gimmick anymore. Obviously WWE PG can't have the same attitude era antics as say, the attitude era. As well, Shawn Michaels is a born again Christian* so that he can't quite get up to all of the same things as well.

*I didn't know that so many people want to be born again Captain Charismas *rimshot*

KurnDerak on
  • Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    I like when DX gets back together and they have a tag match, seeing two of the current greatest superstars tagging is always a good thing. But if they could cut down on the promos as well as 'ONE NIGHT ONLY DX IS BACK TOGETHER'

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    HBK overselling the Hogan match will be his greatest accomplishment ever

because seriously, he was one of the few guys that could get away with that, and probably the only one with the balls to do it

It's funny, because videos and gifs of that gets shown whenever someone online is talking about how fake wrestling is. Only the "smart" fans really get it.

Kyougu on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »

because seriously, he was one of the few guys that could get away with that, and probably the only one with the balls to do it

It's funny, because videos and gifs of that gets shown whenever someone online is talking about how fake wrestling is. Only the "smart" fans really get it.

I never seen the match. Someone post it. I demand it!

noir_blood on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Man it is an awesome match, especially when you know the story behind the match and how Hogan wouldn't lay down for a rematch so Micheals said "ahh fuck it."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyN5sAShqOA

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited March 2009
    The promos Shawn did after the match were great too, referring to Hogan's "catch as catch can" style of wrestling.

Skittlebrau on
  • Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thank you for posting that HBK/Hogan vid. I had no idea and that was fucking hilarious.

Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."
    edited March 2009
    Man, talking about Austin, it's crazy the pops he used to get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0hXX6PoSU0&eurl=http://rspwfa2.livejournal.com/287119.html?page=1&feature=player_embedded

About 5 minutes in.

Kyougu on
  • QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, talking about Austin, it's crazy the pops he used to get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0hXX6PoSU0&eurl=http://rspwfa2.livejournal.com/287119.html?page=1&feature=player_embedded

About 5 minutes in.

God, we need another Austin real bad.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited March 2009
    Did you know that the WWE had more live events last year than the NBA, MLB, NFL and NHL combined? Like if there were teams from those leagues in Europe. They're really reaching for these facts.

And Jericho's match has been announced. And Jesus..this is what they been building up? Really? They couldn't think of ANYTHING better?
    Y2J vs. Steamboat, Snuka and Piper.

Figures that the Wrestlemania I'll be attending will end up being one of the worst ones.

Kyougu on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    I was thinking that when they said
    Snuka and Piper
    were backstage.

UGH.

Fuck you Austin. You and your neck.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited March 2009
    I blame Rourke and Vince really.

Rourke for pulling out, since the angle was obviously designed for him, and Vince for being too retarded to cut his loses and abort the angle.

Kyougu on
    edited March 2009
    Even the crowd was ready for Austin. I heard a 3:16 chant getting started.

It sucks that Jericho is going to have to carry three senior citizens in a Wrestlemania match. Aren't there any "legends" out there who can still go? I suppose Terry Funk could have made for an interesting opponent if they couldn't get Austin.

Skittlebrau on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I blame Rourke and Vince really.

Rourke for pulling out, since the angle was obviously designed for him, and Vince for being too retarded to cut his loses and abort the angle.

I blame Vince for being too paranoid to let the writing staff know what the fuck they were supposed to build to. Because, obviously, if that huge matchup got out, that's the ballgame...

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Heh, I was at that show in Worcester in '99. Good show.

Also, Vickie and Big Show? Ugggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

JustinSane07 on
    edited March 2009
    Did you know that the WWE had more live events last year than the NBA, MLB, NFL and NHL combined? Like if there were teams from those leagues in Europe. They're really reaching for these facts.

And Jericho's match has been announced. And Jesus..this is what they been building up? Really? They couldn't think of ANYTHING better?
    Y2J vs. Steamboat, Snuka and Piper.

Figures that the Wrestlemania I'll be attending will end up being one of the worst ones.

GODDAMNIT.

This is seriously crappy news to me. Jericho is my favorite wrestler, and I have no interest whatsoever in any of those three.

Man, that's going to be a baaaad match.

noir_blood on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Know what, I'm gonna go ahead and naively assume that this isn't the real match, this is just another bit of setup.
    Snuka can't walk, Piper's a cancer patient that looks like he swallowed a bag of cement, Steamboat... well, he's probably in better shape than either of them but he's past 50 and with a bad back.

And it's not like they can't find someone, anyone on the roster who's young enough to slot into the "new kid standing up for the old guys" slot. I mean, Rey Jr? DH Smith? Hell, Sim Snuka?
    They got Steamboat Jr. in development, they've still got Sim Snuka on the roster, Piper was a cousin to the Hart family so there's a connection with DH. Throw in the lesser two of the Legacy, who probably aren't doing anything on WM other than getting thrown out of the main event after two minutes, set up a six man tag. Jericho, DiBiase and Rhodes v. Steamboat Jr., Snuka Jr. and DH Smith. Still makes sense and better than this mess.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    David_T wrote: »
    Know what, I'm gonna go ahead and naively assume that this isn't the real match, this is just another bit of setup.
    Snuka can't walk, Piper's a cancer patient that looks like he swallowed a bag of cement, Steamboat... well, he's probably in better shape than either of them but he's past 50 and with a bad back.

And it's not like they can't find someone, anyone on the roster who's young enough to slot into the "new kid standing up for the old guys" slot. I mean, Rey Jr? DH Smith? Hell, Sim Snuka?
    They got Steamboat Jr. in development, they've still got Sim Snuka on the roster, Piper was a cousin to the Hart family so there's a connection with DH. Throw in the lesser two of the Legacy, who probably aren't doing anything on WM other than getting thrown out of the main event after two minutes, set up a six man tag. Jericho, DiBiase and Rhodes v. Steamboat Jr., Snuka Jr. and DH Smith. Still makes sense and better than this mess.
    They had Deuce & Domino vs Snuka & Slaughter at Vengance '07...I wouldn't put it past them...

I really do hope it is still setup...Bleh...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Jericho will probably assualt them backstage at Wrestlemania and when their music plays and no one comes out he'll claim they realized that they are too old to compete with Y2J and before thay announce him as the winner by default the glass will shatter and Stone Cold will come out and unleash an epic ass kicking. One can hope at least.

Psychotic One on
    edited March 2009

Jericho will probably assualt them backstage at Wrestlemania and when their music plays and no one comes out he'll claim they realized that they are too old to compete with Y2J and before thay announce him as the winner by default the glass will shatter and Stone Cold will come out and unleash an epic ass kicking. One can hope at least.

I doubt it, because if Austin was involved somehow, it would be foolish for the WWE not to hype it. Put him in the corner, or as a special referee.

noir_blood on
    edited March 2009
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    That Raw match is one of my all time favorite wrestling moments.

That match is great for so many reasons. It's great because in it are nearly all the awesome things of the Attitude Era (Austin, Foley, D-X, and the Corporation), it's great for being Mick's first major title win, it's great for "At the risk of sounding uncool, I'd like to dedicate this match to my two little people at home and say...Big Daddy-o did it!", and it's great for the fact that over on Nitro, Tony Schiavone had delivered his now-infamous "We understand that Mick Foley, who used to wrestle here as Cactus Jack, is gonna win their World Title. Huh, that'll put some butts in the seats."

And what was Nitro's main event that night, you ask? Why the Hollywood Hogan/Kevin Nash Fingerpoke of Doom match, of course!

I miss the Attitude Era so much. Every week Raw and Nitro were appointment viewing. I would come home from school all bummed because it was just Monday and I still had the rest of the week left, but then I would realize there was 5 hours of awesome wrestling programming on that night and suddenly it wasn't so bad. Hell, sometimes I'd even sit through Thunder in Paradise before Nitro came on.

Skittlebrau on
    edited March 2009
    That Hogan v. Michaels match is an example why I love Michaels and why I do not like Hogan. Shawn will really just go over the top to sell a move, he made hogan look like hercules in that video. It felt like Hogan wasn't all in in that match, which he doesn't need to be since it was one of his semi yearly WWE ego booster matches.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I remember hearing about that match is the original plan, possibly by michaels, was to have a big face vs. face match that the crowd can get really behind. That was until Hogan wouldn't do it unless it was a face vs. heel match so Michaels had to turn heel for it.

KurnDerak on
    edited March 2009
    Well micheals was mocking him not actually overselling him, and the idea was hogan won the first, and then Micheals would win a rematch. Hogan in his normal putting the business before himself way vetoed the idea.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    QuickSnap wrote: »

God, we need another Austin real bad.

That's crazy. The glass broke and every damn person in the crowd was on their feet.

And if he came back at WM? I guaran-damn-tee you it would happen again.

What?!

chamberlain on
    edited March 2009
    Anyone who was around during the rock/austin pops must feel the crowds are really subdued now by comparison.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Anyone who was around during the rock/austin pops must feel the crowds are really subdued now by comparison.

They are. There is no-one the crowd is REALLY into.

Brock is pushed to the moon. Quits.

Then Cena comes along and is SUPER popular. Then the fans resent him.

Then Benoit basically goes nuts and the fans are too scared to invest emotionally into a certain character.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
    edited March 2009
    They should just completely pull something out of left field one of these days just to see how the fans react. Like, have the winner of money in the bank cash it in that night, or NEVER make us think of the big show and vickie kissing again, or have some midcarders be in some giant feud over midcard stuff like having a raw match to see who gets to do the next pay-per-view dark match or something odd/funny like that. Turn Rey Mysterio heel, make triple H job for a few months, chris jericho becomes an assclown, I don't know, just something so completely out their. Its not like its gonna hurt them, they can just drop it the week later. I just think it would be fun to be genuinely surprised by something that happens.

KurnDerak on
    edited March 2009
    Ugh. I never wanted to see Big Show kiss anybody ever. What the fuck, Vince? Honestly. Is it time for your yearly "fucked up storyline that no one likes but keeps getting pushed because you're a sick fuck" story already?

JustinSane07 on
    edited March 2009
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    They should just completely pull something out of left field one of these days just to see how the fans react.

I want to see John Morrison winning the Royal Rumble. Then they could do a month worth of the big names trying to get him to challenge the title holder they want to go after, so they can steal the title shot in the Elim Chamber.

And then he wins the Chamber in controversial fashion and actually challenges at WM (in a three way and not the main event, but still).

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ugh. I never wanted to see Big Show kiss anybody ever. What the fuck, Vince? Honestly. Is it time for your yearly "fucked up storyline that no one likes but keeps getting pushed because you're a sick fuck" story already?

Team this one with his daughter and son getting beat up and we have a winner.

Or a losing situation for all of us. D:

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
    edited March 2009
    Hey so, I can't read a word of this but...

http://www.expressen.se/sport/ishockey/1.984936/fel-att-satsa-pa-foppa

Apparently Mr. Gretzky is looking forward to WM coming to Arizona next year.

JustinSane07 on
    edited March 2009
    I like the idea of Christian winning the MIB match and challenging edge right after he wins the threeway and becomes champ. Do to him what he's done to others and push Christian as an asshole you're weak to Edge, make him an Amoral kind of Face.

IGN guy thought the same thing!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • WestfordeWestforde Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I'm sure he is but that articles doesn't mention it, he is just talking about his coaching career and his other ventures

Westforde on
    edited March 2009
    Westforde wrote: »

I'm sure he is but that articles doesn't mention it, he is just talking about his coaching career and his other ventures

Psst! Check out his shirt!

Skittlebrau on
  • WestfordeWestforde Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Totally missed that, sorry. In my defence the article actually states the he is wearing a college jersey

Westforde on
    edited March 2009

Totally missed that, sorry. In my defence the article actually states the he is wearing a college jersey

That was the first thing I noticed, as it was the only thing I was able to notice, because I can't read Swedish. It's Swedish, right?

Skittlebrau on
    edited March 2009
    One of the hottest crowds i remember is during a ten man tag match between rock, foley, rikishi and too cool vs dx and the redicalz. if someone doesnt post a vid of it, ill do it when i get home.

its seriously insane the heat of that crowd. its a hell of a match too.

Kyougu on
This discussion has been closed.