As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Virusscan Suggestions?

DoctorArchDoctorArch CurmudgeonRegistered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I have been using Microsoft OneCare for the last two years, and as my renewal date is coming up, I want to consider other options.

So, any recommendations for a good anti-virus/combo suite that you prefer?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
DoctorArch on

• Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    http://free.avg.com/

Never had any problems, but then again I don't do anything weird on my PC either.

Rook on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've been using this program for a number of years now, and I've never had any issue with worms or viruses. You should check it out.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    saggio wrote: »
    I've been using this program for a number of years now, and I've never had any issue with worms or viruses. You should check it out.

If Linux (ubuntu) supported my wireless card out of the box I would jump at the opportunity. Figuring out how to get it working is above and beyond what I would like to do for a day.

Not to shit on Linux, I love it, and I love the idea. But my idea of time well spent is not pouring through a tar ball, compiling my own code, and then maybe getting a wireless card to work.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Archgarth wrote: »
    saggio wrote: »

If Linux (ubuntu) supported my wireless card out of the box I would jump at the opportunity. Figuring out how to get it working is above and beyond what I would like to do for a day.

Fair enough. I believe Ubuntu will be releasing a new version within the month, so you may want to give the LiveCD a try when it drops. That would definitely solve your virus problem.

In the meantime, though, Rook's suggestion is aces.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I dumped AVG and moved to Avira

I've been happy with it.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    AVG's latest offering is very unstable on a lot of systems. If you're using Windows Vista, it's probably best to avoid it unless you like frequent BSODs.

Avast and Avira have both been good to me, but Avira caused some problems with AFD.sys (I don't know this for a fact, but when I searched for problems with it, Avira was the only common factor).

Invisible on
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm weary of AVG, only because of the amount of blown to bits computers I get in at work with AVG

For example

I dont know what the fuck these people did, or if it was a legit copy of AVG, but they brought their computer in to be restored (Strangely, people seem to feel okay paying for someone to do that) , two days later they came back, having only installed AVG free, and we found 1500 goddamn infections on the machine, spread out through 7 virus scanners

Just go with Kaspersky

blakfeld on
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    I was an AVG guy for a long time, but I've moved on to Avast! and I definitely prefer it.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Avira Antivir is good but has a annoying nag screen that is displayed once in a while. Fortunately there is a fix for that: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=817473&postcount=60

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Invisible wrote: »
    AVG's latest offering is very unstable on a lot of systems. If you're using Windows Vista, it's probably best to avoid it unless you like frequent BSODs.

I have Vista, haven't noticed any problems with it.

Rook on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Not to hijack someone else's thread, but how is McAfee these days? My Norton renewal is coming up next week, and I can get McAfee free through my ISP.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rook wrote: »
    Invisible wrote: »

I have Vista, haven't noticed any problems with it.

It doesn't seem to be affecting everyone, but google "AVG BSOD" and you'll get a thread about the problems many are experiencing as the first result. In fact within an hour of installing it I was getting BSOD leading to AVG's files on my new machine (Vista 64 bit). I used it for a long time on other machines without problems, but after the BSODs and it missing a virus that Avast caught, it'll be a long time before I try it again.

Invisible on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I use avast and it's great, I recommend it to all the people I get sucked in to doing IT stuff for. My girlfriend used Avira for a long time and it seemed to keep the bad stuff out but it nagged a lot more than avast does. Avast is easy to get free home-use keys for and easy to install and uninstall, so I consider it the best free anitvirius out there.

Smurph on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I would steer away from AVG, as others have said, AVG is having problems lately.

I know no Anti-Virus is 100% accurate, and there will always be a virus that one misses and another finds.

but in my experience, AVG tends to miss more virii than others.

and to echo what has already been said by Blakfeld, most the computers I've worked on [ I don't have a shop, just a word of mouth side thing ] that are loaded with virii have had an up to date version of AVG on them with recent scan history.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have another sort-of hijack for this thread being as it is the most recent one that I saw here. I am looking for a (preferably freeware if possible) AV software that would scan files before I actually downloaded them. Basically I am being redirected to a website to download an .exe. I am 99% sure that it is valid however I would 1) like to be safe about it and 2) just for my own interest. I realize I could probably load the file onto an external storage and then scan that but I'd like to go more preventative. My firewall isn't going to stop me from doing something intentionally and I'd like to scan it before hand given the option. Thanks in advance.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've been using Avast! Home Free edition since it was the easiest, free-est 64-bit anti-virus I could find at the time. It stays out of the way if you make sure to ONLY install the standard shield. Just make sure to disable the sounds because "Virus Database Updated" in a weird synthesized voice can be disturbing sometimes.

You will need to register within 60 days, but it's free and lasts a year, with free renewals I think.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Avira Antivir is good but has a annoying nag screen that is displayed once in a while. Fortunately there is a fix for that: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=817473&postcount=60

wow thank you forever. I love avira and the popup was the only niggling thing about it.

I work in computer repair and.. 99% of people that bring in computers hosed with viruses have.. some form of Norton, Trend Micro, or AVG.

Kaspersky? NOD32? Avira? ... never used Avast!... 99% of our virus removal is with Superantispyware and Malwarebytes. but these are after-the-fact tools, not preventers.

Xantus on
  • Options
    PtorasPtoras Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you are subscribed to Comcast, they offer free McAfee protection. I also recommend PC Tools Spyware Doctor (http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/).

Also, the plural of "virus" is usually "viruses", not "virii", even though the word comes from the Latin word for "poison" and is (probably) 2nd declension. Darn Latin classes.

(only kidding, i love them)

Ptoras on