As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Epic-est BSG] All Of This Has Happened Before...

Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed VigiloConfidoRegistered User regular
edited March 2009 in Critical Failures
...and all of this will happen again.
bsg-bg-logo.png

After forty years passing without a single word from the Cylons, they returned, and all but eradicated the human race. In this time of strife, they must put aside the petty differences that once separated them and focus on one thing — survival.

Humanity's only hope of a future is to find a new home; a place called Earth. The Cylons, however, are in constant and tireless pursuit. They now look, breathe and bleed exactly like humans. Cylons have infiltrated the Fleet, destroyed resources, and threaten to finish the extermination they have begun. The humans have no choice but to run, plagued by the paranoia of an indistinguishable enemy.

Are you a Cylon who will help to erase any memory of the human race? Or will your resilience and determination to survive prove to the Cylons that humanity is worth saving?

With one week left to go before the conclusion of the most epic show currently running, I feel it's an appropriate time to get the ball rolling on an idea that I've been kicking around in the BSG thread for a little while: a 4-round game of BSG, mirroring the four seasons of the show.

So, how will participating in this game be different from simply participating in 4 back-to-back(-to-back-to-back) rounds of the game? There are a few ways:
  • Each round will contain a different cast of characters, as well as a different objective card, based on the highlights of each season's plot. The first round will be mostly vanilla (though there are a couple twists), with the mechanics growing increasingly intense in later rounds. Experienced Phalla players are encouraged to participate.
  • There will be a scoring system, to provide continuity between the four rounds. Details of the scoring system are explained below.
  • In order to improve balance (since the Cylons seem to always frakking win around here), resources will be tweaked at the start of each round, in accordance with the difficulty of the conditions provided by that round's objective card.
  • In addition, the starting resources for each round will be influenced by the end conditions of the previous round.

So, how does the scoring system work?
  • At the end of each round, each member of the winning team (Humans/Cylons) will be awarded 10 points.
  • In the event of a Human victory: (pssh, right) The Admiral and President will each be awarded 5 points. In addition, the Cylon players will each be awarded 1 point for each resource that is "in the red" at the end of the game.
  • In the event of a Cylon victory: The Human players will each be awarded 2 points for each resource that remains "in the blue".
  • At the end of Round 4, points will be totaled and the player(s) with the most points will be declared champion(s). If that kind of thing matters to you. And I think it does.

This will be an "epic" game, that is to say, consisting of 10 players. Preference will be given to those who have previously GMed rounds of BSG here at CF. In addition, I will be adopting the following house-rule: Each skill deck will be doubled, to 42 cards. Of the two resulting 5-powered cards in each deck, one will be Valkun's variant of the card, provided below:
  • Engineering 5. Blackbird - Action: Roll a die. If 6 or greater, place one destroyed Raptor or Viper into the Reserves.
  • Piloting 5. Formation Strike - Action: Activate every Unmanned Viper in one area and any characters in that area may activate their Viper.
  • Tactics 5. Emergency Jump - Action: Roll a die and remove up to that many Civilian Ships from the board.
  • Leadership 5. Action Stations - Action: Every player except Revealed Cylons may make one movement.
  • Politics 5. Political Favor - Action: Choose any other player. They may draw up to three cards of any type. The cards do not need to be in their skillset.

As for the other rules, they can be read here, though I suspect most (probably all, actually) of the players who would sign up for this sort of thing are already quite familiar with them.

Each round will have its own thread, containing the relevant cast of characters and objective card. For now, though, sign up in any color!

1. pablo_price
2. crimsoncoyote
3. Hylianbunny
4. Celebrim
5. Varcayn
6. El Skid
7. Sticks
8. Darian
9. MacGuffin
10. Nosaji

RESERVES:
1. GrimmyTOA

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
Gandalf_the_Crazed on

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm still relatively new to the game, but !sign up, if you'll have me.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If I'm not mistaken, the following people have run BSG games here before:

Akinos
    Darian
    Valkun
    MrBlarney
    Hippie

Which means there's 5 reserved slots if they even want them, and I think I remember one of the above saying he wasn't interested.

Plus, Thanatos has a slot if he wants it. <3

All of this to say, yeah, you two are definitely in.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You are my favoritest person ever

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It should be noted that, in the true spirit of BSG, there will probably be brief sabbaticals in between "seasons". ;-)

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    As much as I'm sure it'll be awesome, I will be declining the invitation. Right now, I need to focus on other things.

Valkun on
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I would love in on this.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    !Sign Up, if there is room.

Celebrim on
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    not signing up, but I heard a little bit about the game and helped gandalf beta it. confidential to the players:
    you guys are fucked

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    not signing up, but I heard a little bit about the game and helped gandalf beta it. confidential to the players:
    you guys are frakked

Fixed that for you.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    you guys are fucked

Oh come now, it's not that bad.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You might want to retool the 5 strength Piloting alternate skill card. In hindsight, it just doesn't measure up to Maximum Firepower since you'll rarely have 4 or more Vipers in the same space.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Mmk. How about "Roll a die. Activate that many unmanned Vipers."?

EDIT: Also, Valkun, will you be wanting your slot, or can I give it to someone else?

EDIT2: Spoiler policy will be in effect for Season 4.5 until, let's say, April 1st. ;-)

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    VarcaynVarcayn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm relatively new to this game, but I've been following several of the ongoing games over the past three weeks as well as the general BSG thread so I'm pretty frakkin' sure I've picked up more than enough to perform adequately.

Sign up, assuming there is a slot left after the reserved slots are allocated and you don't mind someone without a ton of experience. I'm fine letting you experienced guys take a crack at this and waiting for a regular game to pop up again.

Varcayn on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Putting you on the list. Players with reserved slots will be added from the bottom if the list fills up before they grab their slot.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    BUMP. Because honestly, who looks at the 2nd page? ;-)

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    man, where is everyone? spring break maybe?
    the last few games filled up within hours

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I can think of 3 people off the top of my head who said they would definitely be interested, and haven't even posted here yet.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'm not opposed to a standard 6 or even 7 person game. :P

(Perhaps PM the previous game hosts to get an answer regarding if they want a slot?)

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well I know that when I first mentioned the idea, Darian, Rend and Hippie all expressed strong interest. There's a couple reasons I'd like to have 10 players, but if necessary I can re-tool to 8.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm already hogging up a couple of BSG spots... But if you don't get enough players, I'd be in.

El Skid on
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sign up, I haven't done any of these pbp games, but I've followed the last 4-5 games. If you want someone with more experience, I'll understand. I've really been wanting to get in on this action though.

Sticks on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Added you both to the list. 3 slots remaining.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'll give this a shot, though I've been avoiding the big games so far.

Did you post an announcement for the sign up in the main BSG thread? I don't recall noticing it there.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Good point. Will post.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm in.

At least I hope so.

MacGuffin on
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Uno mas.

Can we see the list of characters and start picking? The last person is probably a toaster anyway, so its not like it matters what character they get stuck with.

Sticks on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Haha, there's a couple of new characters we'll be using for season 1. I'll pull out my computer in a little while and upload the images to start work on the OP for season 1.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I call boxey

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    !In, In. If there's still room.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    NosajiNosaji Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ah hell, I'm in, too!

Can I claim GM priority for having hosted IRC?

Nosaji on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    @Nosaji: Yes, actually. I totally forgot to take into account IRC GMs.

Mmk. Putting you both in the list, and going to get my computer so I can prep the Season 1 thread.

e: Just realized there's only room for one of you. Gave the slot to Nosaji, as per my intention to give GMs preference.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ouch. Ah well. !Reserve me up in case of dropouts, then.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ahh frak, how did i miss this thread??

!reserve me i guess..?

Hippie on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well, since you've GMed, you'll actually kick one of the non-GMs. I'll put you into the list.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ouch, I hate to do that... But I do really want in on Gandalfs uber game...

Hey, let me know who gets bumped and i'll put them at the top of the list for the next game i run?

Hippie on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It was MacGuffin...don't think he's run a game?

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I meant he would get priority as a player for the next game i run, if he wants it. I do hate to be a hassle...

Hippie on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Right, I understood. I just meant that he is the next person to get booted, as he's the lowest person on the list who wasn't a GM.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg