As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Bow down before the God of [Chat]

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Also, I just paid to have my female troll turned into a male troll. World first?

reVerse on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Some people apparently make tons of money with trade skills (probably the same people who play the market on the AH for profit), but for me they have always been massive money sinks. I always take at least one gathering.

Leveling a mage as frost can be very fun, aoe madness! Since they lowered the level requirement for mounts it should be even easier. Once you get your pet and can do a ranged frost nova pwning huge packs of mobs is cake.

I definitely found my mage took a lot of skill to play and died rather a lot (trying to aoe packs with casters/ranged) But it is so much fun trashing a huge pack of mobs your own level while most other classes are fighting things one at a time, you feel like a god. I liked the challenge.

Dman on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    Halfmex wrote: »
    What's worse is when you think about how much money you're losing by milling all those herbs just to make cards for the other shitty decks that no one buys (and if they do it will be for far less than you would have made just selling the herbs).
    That's why the only way to fly is say "screw you" to tradeskills, and just take mining and herbalism!

Though, my has-10k-in-the-bank character is grateful there's so many people still doing tradeskills, else he'd be one poor DK.
    That would be the route I'd go if the ore market (the Northrend ore at least) hadn't tanked bigtime on my server/faction. Selling stacks of Saronite ore for 20g when there's a 3g listing fee is bullshit. Fucking Adamantite sold for more than that in TBC. Cobalt is down into the 13-15g range per stack.

Herbs are still profitable thank god.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    DK, Army of the Dead.

Man I totally forgot. Now I have to level a DK.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    Season 6 sets are up, except for the Druid's. They look like marginal changes from Season 5.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That would be the route I'd go if the ore market (the Northrend ore at least) hadn't tanked bigtime on my server/faction. Selling stacks of Saronite ore for 20g when there's a 3g listing fee is bullshit. Fucking Adamantite sold for more than that in TBC. Cobalt is down into the 13-15g range per stack.

Herbs are still profitable thank god.

But you can do that for Mithril and Thorium. Those still make a pretty hefty profit on my server.

Also via the army thing getting someone with the sword from Hallow's eve, having a pet army with the food thing, AotD, Mirror Image, Shammy elementals....it'd be an awesome screenshot.
    Just have a party of 5 and see how much shit you can get.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dman wrote: »
    Some people apparently make tons of money with trade skills (probably the same people who play the market on the AH for profit), but for me they have always been massive money sinks. I always take at least one gathering.

Leveling a mage as frost can be very fun, aoe madness! Since they lowered the level requirement for mounts it should be even easier. Once you get your pet and can do a ranged frost nova pwning huge packs of mobs is cake.

I definitely found my mage took a lot of skill to play and died rather a lot (trying to aoe packs with casters/ranged) But it is so much fun trashing a huge pack of mobs your own level while most other classes are fighting things one at a time, you feel like a god. I liked the challenge.

Some of us have a gathering Profession and a Tradeskill that allows for gathering.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Season 6 sets are up, except for the Druid's. They look like marginal changes from Season 5.

Oh, that's nice. PvErs get completely new, interesting sets with each new raid, PvPrs get "I don't know, add some feathers or some shit to the shoulders and call it a day".

edit: Though I must say, I like the ninja masks on Warlock and Mage sets. A ninja wizard would be the best class ever.

edit2: And the DK looks like he's ready to go ride on his Harley.

reVerse on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Nevermind. Waaay too slow.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's a shame that DRW doesn't cast army of the dead anymore. :(

Now THAT was a mess of ghouls.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Some of us have a gathering Profession and a Tradeskill that allows for gathering.

yeah my main is herbalism/alchemy and it works well, but if you go say mining/blacksmithing or mining/engineering good luck getting enough ore&gold from mining to keep blacksmithing going (I tried both those combination on various characters and was constantly broke and eventually gave up.)

my friend does enchanting/tailoring but the only way to pull it off is having me send items to DE and cloth from my main and alts.

Dman on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Radiation wrote: »
    But you can do that for Mithril and Thorium. Those still make a pretty hefty profit on my server.
    I actually tried that the other day, but the problem is A) you're limited to terrestrial travel which makes for much slower gathering and B) having to compete with other people leveling the profession makes me feel like a bit of a dick since, after having leveled mining twice already, I know full well how much of an enormous pain in the ass it is to find those already small amounts of nodes only to have them snatched out from underneath you by a farmer.

I just want to punch the window-licking dickbags who crashed the saronite market by listing a shit ton of it for next to nothing. But I don't want to turn this into another WoW-Econ thread, so I'll leave it at that.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I've noticed a new annoyance with mages in battlegrounds, specifically AB. I've been seeing this far too often lately:

1. Attempt to solo the guards at the flag by popping Mirror Image.
    2. Get ass handed to them, rez at a friendly node.
    3. Wait out cooldown on Mirror Image
    4. Go back to 1, repeat.

Is this common? Or have Alliance Mages on Nightfall just gotten lazy?

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    When you say "wait out cooldown on Mirror Image" what do you mean exactly? They just chill at the graveyard until it's done?

reVerse on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think a lot (but not all) of the trinket pets share a cooldown, limiting how many you could have at once.

I still carry my Book of the Dead on my rogue occaisionally, partly to use him as a distraction if I need it, and partly to confuse people when a rogue summons a pet.

I think the biggest possible army you could have would be with a Death Knight engineer. Especially if you count stuff like Flame Turrents and what not. I wonder if the Mind Control helmet conflicts with any other pets?

Lars on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Nobody wrote: »
    So I've noticed a new annoyance with mages in battlegrounds, specifically AB. I've been seeing this far too often lately:

4. Go back to 1, repeat.

people in general seem completely retarded when it comes to AB. The simplest strategies work wonders, have 2 people guard each node and call incommings, the rest respond to inc calls or take enemy nodes.

That simple strat works insanely well, but instead everyone wants to fight on the roads or solo attack enemy positions, leave nodes undefended and no one calls incs. I /facepalm so hard almost every AB battle, horde on my battlegroup seem decent at every other bg, but AB is a total crapshoot.

Dman on
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I really hope they change the DK Tier 7/7.5 set bonuses and the Sigil of Awareness (only real Blood Sigil) to reflect the fact that Blood DKs are no longer supposed to be using Obliterate in 3.1.

Otherwise, all my current T7 and any T7.5 upgrades (as I run 10 mans, I probably won't see T8) are going to be pretty worthless.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

yeah my main is herbalism/alchemy and it works well, but if you go say mining/blacksmithing or mining/engineering good luck getting enough ore&gold from mining to keep blacksmithing going (I tried both those combination on various characters and was constantly broke and eventually gave up.)

my friend does enchanting/tailoring but the only way to pull it off is having me send items to DE and cloth from my main and alts.

Um, as an Engineer gold really isn't that hard to get. Simply hooving up motes/eternals will allow you to support Engineering. And once you max it out then your costs are pretty low.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Pretty much.

Say for example, Alliance owns LM, and I'm watching Farm.

Every 3 minutes or so, a mage will ride down to Farm by himself, pop mirror image, try to solo me, and discover the hard way that I'm not tricked by 4 copies of him with 3k health. I'm pretty sure he's not going anywhere else since he comes down the ramp from LM every single time right around the 3 minute mark.

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Um, as an Engineer gold really isn't that hard to get. Simply hooving up motes/eternals will allow you to support Engineering. And once you max it out then your costs are pretty low.

I guess that's great if you use money from a main to bring your alts skill up to 300 or something but when your playing through normally getting engineering or mining up to 300 is a huge pain in the ass and in no way does mining give you enough materials.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Nobody wrote: »

4. Go back to 1, repeat.

people in general seem completely retarded when it comes to AB. The simplest strategies work wonders, have 2 people guard each node and call incommings, the rest respond to inc calls or take enemy nodes.

That simple strat works insanely well, but instead everyone wants to fight on the roads or solo attack enemy positions, leave nodes undefended and no one calls incs. I /facepalm so hard almost every AB battle, horde on my battlegroup seem decent at every other bg, but AB is a total crapshoot.

The last time the Call To Arms daily was AB, I ended up just sitting at Farm chatting with somebody else from my server in /say while we waited for Alliance to get the win with their 4 cap during the first game.

I've also seen Alliance come up, see I'm guarding the flag, and then ride the other direction. I honestly wonder what is going through their heads when they do that.

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That mote extractor is a thing of beauty (though how I get more Crystalline Fire from a Steam Cloud than I do from a Smoldering Cloud is beyond me). Ching-ching.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Wavechaser wrote:
    Holy shit more GSIII / GSIV players!

I had a Rogue on there, when the new hardcap of 100 went in, I got him to I believe level 97 or so, and ended up selling the character for $1,500.00 when I finally made the switch to Warcraft.

But yeah, a game like Gemstone could never be fully re-invented in a graphical mmo, but god damn if they could, it would be the best game ever. Except for the price of course, I'll never play $35.00 a month to play a fucking text based game ever again.

And I used to be one of the Rogue's who hung out in the East Tower picking boxes. Do you remember Porcell? That was probably the Rogue who stole from you, that guy was a huge deal when I was playing.

But yeah, I played Slaide from 1998 to about 2002 or 2003. I played consistently that entire time, and I only played that one character.

After all those years, I only hit level 97. There were several who were hardcapped at 100. There was one warrior, who was so over the cap before the conversion (I think he was level 350 before the hardcap), that when he was knocked to level 100, he had so many points to spend on skills he had basically almost every single skill in the game maxed out.

For those of you who have no idea what the fuck i'm talking about, in Gemstone, you can train in any skill in the game if you really want it, but your class determines how many points it will cost you. So for a Rogue, stealth would cost like 3 physical and 1 mental, but for a Warrior it would cost like 15 physical and 10 mental or something equally ridiculous, so training in anything outside your class role was pretty much a horrible idea.

Anyways, I could talk for hours about Gemstone, I think the coolest thing about that game was the small community. The entire game was on one server, so everyone knew everyone. And the popular guys were like people you actually interacted with every day, like that Warrior, I actually knew him pretty well.

Sadly, his name? Yeah, it was Drizzsdt. :lol:

I actually never played after the GS4 change over actually happened. I remembered the discussion involving it somewhat at the time, but like everything that happened with the GMs in that game, I knew it would be forever before it actually happened, and I was long since done with the game by the time it finally came about.

Surely there's no way there was anyone up to level 350 before the 100 hard cap? I *think* by the time I quit there were people around 170, but the way everything worked, it got to be virtually impossible to level because mobs just weren't high enough to give experience until new areas/higher level enemies were added.

In fact, as I recall, typically Empaths were the first to break the 'soft-cap' because healing wounds didn't really have the same method of degraded experience so they were able to get exp for longer after fighting classes had reached their limits.

And yeah, I *know* I was familiar with Drizzsdt, I think virtually everyone was, he was always one of the highest leveled guys around. Didn't know him personally though. I don't *think* Porcell was the jackass I got involved with, but I recognize the name, Halfling Rogue as I recall... I think I just saw him around a lot.

The shit Simu got away with for a text-based MUD just wouldn't fly today (even though they still do it I believe, though they don't have *nearly* the consumer base they used to), especially not in the MMO market. I'm talking their pricing plans. It really makes me curious just what's going to happen with Hero's Journey if it ever even comes about. They've been working on it for *so* long, it really seems like they'll need to get some money back, but I doubt they'll be able to afford to charge any more than what seems to be the MMO standard of $15 a month.

I still don't *mind* the idea of text-based MUDs, though I'm thinking one that adopted a WoW-style of quest based leveling could be really intriguing, as opposed to the constant monster grinding they're known for.

My interest in WoW has waned again, I've done almost everything I care to do with one character, have another heroic'd out, and a third at 80 that I don't really know what to do with. I have 3 other 70+ characters that I could screw around with, and honestly, was *somewhat* tempted to bring my Protadin to 80 and get to tanking again, especially with the changes upcoming in 3.1 for Prot. But eh, I don't know, it still doesn't seem that interesting of a prospect.

Well, maybe he was level 250, but I do know the number was ridiculous. He got that high by picking boxes in the east tower, where there was no stop to the experience. He would just sit up there all day picking boxes to level his character. I just remember being in awe because the dude was literally like twice the level of the next highest person I knew.

But yeah, I find it hard to believe that Simu is still charging what they used to for that game, there's just no way. With the economy, and all the new types of MMO's out there, there's just no way to keep a game like that going without giving it away for next to nothing.

As for your Protadin, i'd say do it. My main is a protadin and my god it is so fun to tank in WotLK. I have alt-itis right now since basically i've done everything I can logically do on my main, but especially when dual specs run around... Yeah, Paladins are the shit.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The new DK pvp gear on MMO-champ looks like some kind of X-treem motocross rider.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Seeing when the unwashed masses will learn Strands is kind of like Paul Edgecombe trying to figure out when he's going die. I mean, they still just barely have a grasp on AB, and that should have been common knowledge years ago. We'll see people running at the wall without Seaforium Charges for decades.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AfroJAfroJ Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And Locks have a giant zipper on their head. WTF?

AfroJ on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Seeing when the unwashed masses will learn Strands is kind of like Paul Edgecombe trying to figure out when he's going die. I mean, they still just barely have a grasp on AB, and that should have been common knowledge years ago. We'll see people running at the wall without Seaforium Charges for decades.

Or driving the demolisher in circles in front of an undamaged gate trying to kill a single player with the ram, while the rest of his team is attacking the person in question.

Nobody on
  • Options
    frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I really dont know why people are still so bad at BGs. The mechanics and MAP for them have not changed in 3 years...

frylocked on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    frylocked wrote: »
    I really dont know why people are still so bad at BGs. The mechanics and MAP for them have not changed in 3 years...

There is a large percentage of the playerbase who look at BGs as a way for them to kill other players. The BG objective is secondary.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Seg wrote: »

There is a large percentage of the playerbase who look at BGs as a way for them to kill other players. The BG objective is secondary.

Fools, pvp is not for pvp, it is for honor / hour.

frylocked on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Indeed, last time I was in WSG this rogue posted a huge manifesto in bg chat about how he was just there for the HKs and he was "our rogue in midfield"

And I'm pretty sure by the end of the match he didn't even have the most HKs on our side.

A related annoyance are the guys who go up and try to farm the graveyard at the main spawn points in AB.

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Fools, pvp is not for pvp, it is for honor / hour.
    You can still PvP and follow the objectives.

It's an astonishing breakthrough in gaming.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I can't figure out why people still PvP in this game. I thought for sure that with WAR's release, at the very least the hardcore PvPers from WoW would have flocked to it and stayed there. At least that's what I was reading pre-WAR's release.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I can't figure out why people still PvP in this game. I thought for sure that with WAR's release, at the very least the hardcore PvPers from WoW would have flocked to it and stayed there. At least that's what I was reading pre-WAR's release.

Variety is the spice of life.

frylocked on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

People still PvP in this game because WAR sucks balls and WoW doesn't.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    But I thought WAR was supposedly the game that "nailed" PvP. Is that not the case? I'm genuinely asking, not trying to be a dick. Before WAR's release, for months people were saying that WoW's PvP is shit and that WAR was their savior. Now I know people play WAR, but I haven't seen much of a real decline in PvP interest in WoW. Just figured there'd be more of an impact.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I PVP to pass the time, lazily working towards 75,000 HKs or whatever the crazy number is for the title.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I'd love to combine the PvP of the games.

WAR has awesome design. The RvR lakes, the variety of scenarios and exp from PvP. It's good stuff, and getting better.

WAR has subpar polish. There are still plenty of bugs. Balance is wonky and combat does not feel solid. You also have to accept the fact that you are not going to do shit by yourself in this game. WoW isn't much better, but the PvP is far more balanced 1v1 than WAR's (even though both game DO NOT try to balance it). So while doing pug BGs is soul-crushing, it's less so than WAR where I'm trying to heal and suffering horrible rape because tanks can't figure out what the fucking Guard button does.

WoW has awesome polish. Combat work, and has been polished to a beautiful shine over four years. It's familiar and it works. I can go off by myself and do some duels or whatever and still have something resembling fun.

WoW has THE WORST DESIGN KNOWN TO MAN. You get new PvP content each expansion, after which you get new items and maybe some AV changes. The new content can also be buggy and not throught out at all (Hi, Wintergrasp!). Resilience, the base requirement for fun, requires an obscene grind via honor or a weekly wait via arena. Plenty of changes have been suggested (new maps for existing BGs? TF2 is thirty bucks and does this), but mostly ignored until the next 40 dollar patch.

In a nutshell, WoW is more fun baseline right now. WAR depends on people to be fun. WoW depends on time to be fun. I'm subscribed to both, and waiting on which developers will get their collective heads of out their collective asses first.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    But I thought WAR was supposedly the game that "nailed" PvP. Is that not the case? I'm genuinely asking, not trying to be a dick. Before WAR's release, for months people were saying that WoW's PvP is shit and that WAR was their savior. Now I know people play WAR, but I haven't seen much of a real decline in PvP interest in WoW. Just figured there'd be more of an impact.

The WAR fans wanted war pvp to be better than wow pvp and they wanted everyone to /ragequit wow and play war instead making it a massive success. As far as I know war is fairly successful, but it isn't better than wow and didn't cause a massive number of people to leave wow.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Fair enough, makes sense.

Halfmex on
This discussion has been closed.