As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Higher Technology

• the_Willardthe_Willard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Now go back and read it and fucking do what I told you to. Otherwise, pack up your shit and get the fuck out of my office.

Well, someone's certainly got an ego, or i just didn't realize you owned this forum (and hiding behind it being a quote doesn't change anything). i think PA actually did a comic about you

And since when did "you suck, try taking an art class" constitute something constructive? Now how about you pack up your shit and get the fuck out of my thread, troll cockstain.

the_Willard on
    The Neverhood is what TRULY started my gaming addiction, therefore respect is due.
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Willard, pack up your stuff and get out while you can.

You just did the equivalent of punching a bear in the face; did nothing but made him mad.

Godfather on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    @ Metalbourne: ...you elitist douchetool.

I second that! :)

winter_combat_knight on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    photoshop is like a giant puzzle
    you just gotta play around with it a lot to get it, if you have specific photoshop questions, just ask, there are lots of people around here who can help you with that.

hey so...since you offered...
    i still can't seem to get the same results off drawing with a tablet in Photshop that i do when i draw with just pencil and paper. is it just because i'm using a fairly cheap tablet, or did anyone else go through the same adjustment? anything special you did to close that gap, or does it just take time to adjust? as far as finding the tools i need in photoshop, i'm sure that i will get the hang of given enough time.

i have never been able to get the same effect, so i usually sketch on paper, scan and color.

beavotron on
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Where is the DoucheTool® in Photoshop? I'm using CS2. D:

Grenn on
    edited March 2009
    yeah, trying to get the same effect of traditional methods in photoshop is very difficult. There are brushes that can kind of replicate effects. Though i havnt really bothered to learn using them. last year at uni, i was wanting my digital paintings to look traditional. So to get a pencil look to my sketches, i grabbed a standard brush and screwed around with the brush settings until i created something that looked kinda traditional. In the end, when i showed the result to my tutor, he thought it was sketched on paper and i scanned it into the comp and digi coloured it.

Not a tutorial by any means, but here are the brushes i like to use, when trying to replicate a pencil look, digitally. Also there are the brush settings i mess around with.
    15cn4si.jpg

so just screw around with setting till you find something you're comfortable with. With your comics, i think you should go with a more natural look. These just look too much like dodgy vector art. even try scanning you clean sketches in your computer, and colour them digitally like beavs said.

Im not a great artist, but seeing as you're new to photoshop, i hope this can help in some way :)

winter_combat_knight on
  • wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Now go back and read it and fucking do what I told you to. Otherwise, pack up your shit and get the fuck out of my office.

Well, someone's certainly got an ego, or i just didn't realize you owned this forum (and hiding behind it being a quote doesn't change anything). i think PA actually did a comic about you

And since when did "you suck, try taking an art class" constitute something constructive? Now how about you pack up your shit and get the fuck out of my thread, troll cockstain.

A few thoughts.

First of all, this forum heavily emphasizes meaningful and ongoing artistic growth. If you had taken some time to actually peruse AC before jumping in, you would realize that everyone who regularly posts here is primarily concerned with improving as an artist. Nobody here is going to say "hey, at least you tried", they're going to provide specific input on what you need to do to improve. If you try to swim upstream against that, you're going to be called on your bullshit. That's how it works.

Second, you do suck, and you do need to take an art class. Everyone sucks when they start at something. What else do you want people to tell you? You're wasting people's time by demanding attention and feedback before learning even the bare basics of your craft. Imagine if I joined a music forum and posted an MP3 of myself clumsily strumming the chords G, C, and D on a guitar over and over. No song, no structure, just the three most basic chords in the world. What would they tell me?
    • Hey, maybe you should learn to play the fucking guitar before you try to write a song
    • Hey, maybe you should actually write something instead of strumming the same three chords for four minutes
    • Hey, why are you wasting our time with this?
    And what else are they supposed to tell me? I didn't bother to learn to play an instrument or write music before posting on the songwriter forum, so what feedback can they possibly give me beyond "why don't you learn how to make music before wasting our time?" And if I'm just doing it for fun, and I don't care about actually learning the craft, then maybe I shouldn't post my "fun" on a forum for people who take the craft very seriously, and maybe I shouldn't demand that they provide validation of my "fun".

Last, if you barge into a forum with no regard for it's customs and culture, you don't get to call someone a "troll" for calling you on your bullshit. Not how it works.

If you actually want to learn to draw, why don't you follow the advice that these incredibly talented artists have given you and start with the basics? Study some drawing manuals, then come back in a week to show us the lines, circles, squares, and triangles you're drawing. I'm sure there will be plenty of people here who will be more than happy to hold your hand and help you learn the basics, as long as you actually apply yourself and listen to their advice. If you were just looking for unearned praise for hopelessly amateurish work, though, why don't you take your pirated copy of Adobe Creative Suite and get the fuck out of Metalbourne's office?

wasted pixels on
  • spellchromespellchrome Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You're wasting people's time by demanding attention and feedback before learning even the bare basics of your craft. Imagine if I joined a music forum and posted an MP3 of myself clumsily strumming the chords G, C, and D on a guitar over and over. No song, no structure, just the three most basic chords in the world. What would they tell me?
    • Hey, maybe you should learn to play the fucking guitar before you try to write a song
    • Hey, maybe you should actually write something instead of strumming the same three chords for four minutes
    • Hey, why are you wasting our time with this?
    And what else are they supposed to tell me? I didn't bother to learn to play an instrument or write music before posting on the songwriter forum, so what feedback can they possibly give me beyond "why don't you learn how to make music before wasting our time?"

Good way to put the situation in perspective W.P. There's a time for advice and there's a time for practice. Ask questions if you want to learn, but be willing to absorb the feed back offered. You can't use advice as a shortcut, only to point you vaguely in the right direction.

With your comics, i think you should go with a more natural look. These just look too much like dodgy vector art. even try scanning you clean sketches in your computer, and colour them digitally like beavs said.

The computer is not your friend. Figure it out with a pencil first. Seriously, you're trying to learn two things at once. [Insert clever Analogy here].

No one is saying you have to spend a lot of money, (Google art tutorials, or something along those lines, to find free resources; drop $20 on A drawing book) but you've got to be willing to spend the time. If you don't have the time to practice drawing... well just re-read some of the above posts.

spellchrome on
  • t i mt i m Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Willard,

Here is a very basic photoshop tutorial I did that might help you out. I apologize for the sloppy handwriting. If you have any questions let me know.

Tutorial

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/gr4phic4rt/pennytut.jpg

Tim

Edit: In the tut, I suppose layer 5 and 6 are completely optional. You could stop at layer 4 and be happy. I guess it depends on how far you want to go with it.

t i m on
    God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind that I will never die.” Bill Watterson
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

And while you're at it, you ignorant iguana fucker, go back to my first post, and read it another two or three times. Specifically, read the first part where I said, "look at the first panel and tell me what's wrong with it." But apparently tripwire's "fan art" gave you such a huge fucking head that you figured you didn't need to do any actual work anymore.

Well, while we're on the subject, lets wonder why tripwire got infracted for drawing you "fan art". Do you really think bombardier is offended because he's his stupid friend from vancouver? Or maybe the other elitist douchetools were making fun of you with an inside joke that you wouldn't understand; much like that time in high school when the cheerleaders gave you an invitation to a party at an address that didn't exist.

Of course, the other reason that you haven't done what I told you is because you don't actually fucking know what's wrong with the first panel. Of course, I explained the rest of that scenario in my first post. And, I'll repeat it again: I've seen a million shitty webcomics come through here. And every one that was about two friends who played video games was defended by an artist who could give a million justifications for why he was a shitty artist, but none for why he should improve.

So take my abrasive style or leave it, I don't care. If you're so offended that you'll never comeback, it doesn't matter, there will be another asshole with a shitty wecomic back here in a couple days. But, hey, at the least, this entire exchange should give you some ammunition for your next strip for your two friends to laugh about.

Metalbourne on
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    bombardier wrote:
    Dear .Tripwire.,

You have received an infraction at Penny Arcade Forums.

Reason: Minor Offense
    Your

face

is

STUPID.

This infraction is worth 2 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires.

All the best,
    Penny Arcade Forums

It was racially motivated.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
    edited March 2009
    winter_combat_knight: ah, cool i try those. yeah, my scaneer died months ago...i don't have one anymore :( but since i'm starting to get the hang of photoshop, i think i will skip the vector art from now on.

wasted pixels: fair enough, but are you seriously going to invest time, money, and effort to learn all the ins and outs of the instrument if you just want to do a cover of one song? probably not. Higher Technology being the one and only thing i spend any time drawing, i see it much the same way. second, i wasn't looking for "unnearned praise" or validation, just some tips to improve what i had, which i managed to get from winter_combat_knight, Tam and NotACrook, so my drawings obviously aren't completely devoid of merit. i'm not "demanding" your attention and feedback, if you feel my art is so far beneath you that it's a waste of your time, you can just ignore me, it's not going to bother me any.

spellchrome: i can draw just fine with a pencil and paper, if i could get the same quality digitally...well i wouldn't be here. and since i couldn't maintain the same quality, i just skipped earlier steps to get it done quicker. considering Metalbourne's ONLY advice was "take a fucking art class" yes that IS asking to spend a lot of money. Since i am currently saving for a cross-country move coming up in July, ANY expenditure on something that is just a hobby is pretty much out of the question. (which is why i kept saying "at some point in the future when i can dedicate the time/effort")

t i m: THANK YOU!!!! (don't worry, your handwriting isn't any worse than mine) That is exactly the kind of help i was hoping for, i may even put that to use much sooner than i originally planned. it's especially ironic because i was just coming in here to ask about how to use layers to do...well...that. i'm kind of interested to see how you would have drawn the other guy, haha. i'll see if i can put together something that puts your tut to use and come back with it. it might be a little while though while i decide if i want to implement it now and interrupt the current episode with such a drastic change in style, or finish it the way it is now and draw the next one like that.

my comic is for the jokes, (mostly in-jokes with my friends, although if you know the games i'm talking about in the episode, you'd prob find it funny too) not the art. but since i'm the only one that can draw it...well, i'm the only one drawing it. so unless someone wants to take my stuff and do the art for it (be the Gabe to my Tycho) i just need some help getting photoshop to do what i want and an outside opinion when i KNOW something looks wrong.

and last, since you ALL managed to post without being the complete fuckstick that Metalbourne was, i maintain my opinion that he is a complete and utter tool. An opinion that at least winter shares, so i know i'm not alone in thinking this.

the_Willard on
    The Neverhood is what TRULY started my gaming addiction, therefore respect is due.
    edited March 2009
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    bombardier wrote:
    Dear .Tripwire.,

You have received an infraction at Penny Arcade Forums.

Reason: Minor Offense
    Your

face

is

STUPID.

This infraction is worth 2 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires.

All the best,
    Penny Arcade Forums

It was racially motivated.

In all fairness, you do look pretty stupid.

Metalbourne on
  • spellchromespellchrome Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I used to borrow drawing books from the public library. They were often beat up and out of date, but hey, at least they were on a subject I liked.

spellchrome on
    edited March 2009
    I used to borrow drawing books from the public library. They were often beat up and out of date, but hey, at least they were on a subject I liked.

holy fuck...that's a DAMN GOOD idea. i hope the library in this shit town has some. of course they had a graphic novel section with Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns so...just maybe...

but alright, sleep time, i'll prob be back around 12/1am when i'm just sitting at work with nothing to do. too bad i can't install photoshop on the hotel's computers and sit there drawing all night cause i think work is the largest block of free time i have...how fucked up is that?

the_Willard on
  • BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    But you can use pencil and paper, which is better than using Photoshop when you are trying to learn how to draw anyway.

Betelgeuse on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I prefer the term "doucheking".

Royalty amongst the douches.

NotASenator on
  • ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I agree with metalborne and wasted pixels. The thing is, this does happen. Alot. Bad comics I mean. Keep in mind this isn't an attack on you, but we all suck at some point. I go even so far as to think we are always sucking, we are just at different levels of "suck" and realizations of that push you to the next level. The only real attacks on you are based on your reactions to criticism and your unwillingness to learn.

Now what others have done, giving you more than just direction, is damn decent of them. But understand, most everyone here has to go through the same laborious steps to get where they are and further. What you are asking is basically to skip all that, tell me the "secrets" or "tricks." There really aren't any real ones. There are some that can allow you to fake it, and make certain things look better, but without the understanding and practice, it wont really help you.

It's especially frustrating though when you state how you want help improving, but also state you don't care to really improve. You want some quick tricks, some people are going to give some to you, it wont be good for you, but it will help things look less shitty as long as you stay in their scope.

In summation, if you want to really improve, take all of this in, and PRACTICE. You don't really need to buy much of anything, I haven't bought any books, but they will help you improve faster, lord knows I'm progressing slowly. If you want to keep on the "care but don't care" train, be grateful for those who are too nice, but don't be a dick when others don't placate to your failings.

Shiboe on
    edited March 2009
    Well, if the cockdoubler is finally willing to visit the library and check out some books, someone tell him to check out Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud. Because we are not on speaking terms.

Metalbourne on
    edited March 2009
    is there a cockdoubler here?
    mister cockdoubler?
    i have an urgent message for you from one mister metalbourne.

beavotron on
    edited March 2009
    man, i dont know if ive missed someting (and ive read the entire thread!), but i can't tell if Metalbourne is serious, or joking. Take a chill pill dude8-) the messages you're posting is not the way you should speak to other human beings.

winter_combat_knight on
  • wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    man, i dont know if ive missed someting (and ive read the entire thread!), but i can't tell if Metalbourne is serious, or joking. Take a chill pill dude8-) the messages you're posting is not the way you should speak to other human beings.

Metalbourne is cutting the_Willard down to size so that the_Willard will dig deep and work harder than he's ever worked in his life just to prove Metalbourne wrong. the_Willard will then someday realize that Metalbourne wasn't being cruel, he was just lighting a fire under the_Willard's ass to get him moving. He'll look back fondly on Metalbourne with the same warm, nostalgic memories that a soldier has about his drill instructor; "He pushed me to be my best".

...or he's a huge asshole, one of the two.

wasted pixels on
  • RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Metalbourne is cutting the_Willard down to size so that the_Willard will dig deep and work harder than he's ever worked in his life just to prove Metalbourne wrong. the_Willard will then someday realize that Metalbourne wasn't being cruel, he was just lighting a fire under the_Willard's ass to get him moving. He'll look back fondly on Metalbourne with the same warm, nostalgic memories that a soldier has about his drill instructor; "He pushed me to be my best".

You're assuming those two options are mutually exclusive. There's a reason my sig is, the way it is.

Ravenshadow on
    edited March 2009
    metalbourne is the enforcer

beavotron on
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I always thought of him more as the Informer. See Snow for details.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    He's just got a superiority complex going on.

Trust me, I am very familiar with it.

NotASenator on
    edited March 2009

THEY ARE NOT HUMAN BEINGS THEY ARE LITTLE BOXES THAT GENERATE TEXT AND I CAN MAKE AND DESROY THEM AT MY SLIGHTEST WHIM!

Metalbourne on
  • S_OS_O Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    To the original poster:

Nice work! Keep practicing and you are sure to improve by leaps and bounds!

S_O on
    edited March 2009
    Andrew you are the anchor that gives my spirit license to soar.

8254LYF

Metalbourne on
    edited March 2009
    Can I share one of my comics with everybody?

sweetbroandhellajeff.jpg

S_O on
    edited March 2009
    Sweet Bro.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
    edited March 2009

You're assuming those two options are mutually exclusive. There's a reason my sig is, the way it is.

haha, i'll get on board with that line of thought. although, in all seriousness, i actually feel a lot better about Metalbourne now. if he wasn't such a huge assnugget i would have been perfectly happy continuing on with my comic "good enough" for my friends since they actually know less about drawing than i do, so it would have made no difference to them. but now i'm probably going to put far more work into bringing it up to snuff than i was ever planning to before jsut for my own personal satisfaction.

so
    Well, if the cockdoubler is finally willing to visit the library and check out some books, someone tell him to check out Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud. Because we are not on speaking terms.

awww, Metal, don't be like that. i was hoping we could be BFFF's (that's best fuckin friends forever for the Pineapple Express impaired). and yeah, i'll see if i can find that book while i'm lookin around at the library, vagbooger.

and Shiboe. it's not that i "care but don't care" it's just that this webcomic is the only thing i draw (i haven't done any artwork in years, much to the chagrin of my high school art teachers) so i just wanted to learn things that pertained to that style of drawing. for example, taking the "i can't even pretend to afford it right now" argument off the table, i'm not going to go to an art class where they have me painting bowls of fruit and nude models when i just want to draw a cartoon about the stupid shit that goes on when me and my friends get together, usually to play videogames. i do care, it's just that i only care about learning stuff that i'm actually going to use.

anyway, i'm gonna do some good ol' pencil and paper sketching for practice while i'm sitting here at work. but, as i said earlier, i don't have a scanner so i'll have to figure out a way to post them here. maybe i'll just take pics with my digital camera...yeah that'll probably be it.

to S_O: i just have one thing to say to you; WTF!?

the_Willard on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Pfft you don't merely read "Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff" you have to appreciate it like a fine wine.

Mustang on
    edited March 2009
    i appreciate it more like a nightmare i'm glad is over. it's just...disturbing, hahah. (and yes i get that he's mocking my comic...not that there's any material like that in mine)

so i'm studying t i m's tutorial and now i have a photoshop question. how do you guys do shadowing and highlights? i've been using the dodge/burn tool for it, but in t i m's thing at least it looks more like he copies the color with the eyedropper and then darkens it before applying. is one way better than the other, is it a matter of preference or was i just doing it wrong altogether?

the_Willard on
    edited March 2009
    The dodge-burn tool should not be used for shadowing and highlights.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
    edited March 2009
    i appreciate it more like a nightmare i'm glad is over.

OVER???

S_O on
    edited March 2009
    Oh Willard. You done did it now.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
    edited March 2009
    odeargodno.

can everyone at least keep their pants on this time?:|

the_Willard on
    edited March 2009
    This time.

sweetbroandhellajeff2.jpg

S_O on
  • acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    S_O wrote: »
    This time.

<image full of awesome>

He does the shitty webcomic so WELL.

acadia on