As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hotel Suggestions? PAX RATE IS GO! LINK ON PAGE 5

• BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    MaoChan wrote: »
    Sheraton was nice and this year at the Westin proper. I def give a fistbump to the Sheraton for having everything in order and the rooms are clean and big with nice views on the 25th floor.

The view from 2151 in the Union Tower was sweet enough that if I can make it this year, I'm going to try and get over there again. I'd *like* to get the PAX Rate and will ask for it when I call to book, but that room was worth the upcharge for me.

BrennaCeDria on
  • RossalussRossaluss Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    Guys, I'm trying to head over from the UK, and having a look at Expedia, it recommends a hotel called Renaissance Seattle Hotel (515 Madison St, Seattle, WA 98104, USA).

How close is this to the centre? And does anyone have any opinions on the hotel?

(Never been to Seattle before, so I know absolutely nothing about it.)

Rossaluss on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    Just wait a little bit longer until the official PAX hotels are posted. Those hotels are closest to the convention center and will offer a PAX-discount.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Godmeat wrote: »
    Hilton Homewood Suites was everything a hotel room should be.

Free dinner (including beer and wine!) Monday through Thursday nights. Free breakfast every morning.

We paid about $180/a night. There were five of us. Three of us in the bed in the bedroom, two on the couch that folded out into a bed. If people wanted to sleep on the floors, there probably would have been room for four or five more.

Had a full-sized fridge, sink, dishwasher, microwave, two TV's, and more... It was basically a tiny apartment.

Totally awesome, and completely worth the money. It's about a block and a half to the convention center doors.

I would say, 'I can't recommend it enough,' but I can't. If I do, I may not be able to get a suite there again this year.

Do you have a link? The lack of swimming pool might be negated with TWO tv's that have accessible ports.KHOO, I HOPE YOU GET A PAX DEAL ON THIS HOTEL,please good sir.

Viscountalpha on
  • GodmeatGodmeat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Their web presence was kind of iffy last year, and it still looks like it sucks.

I made a reservation there in February when they were called "Pike Place Suites" for 380 a night (still a steal for the six to seven people we were planning). Then in late July/early August I noticed the PAX website had "Hilton Homewood Suites" at the same address. Apparently they were bought out by Hilton. I called and managed to renegotiate my reservation down to the PAX rate of 180 a night.

I seriously hope it will be back on the PAX list this year. In 2007, my wife and I stayed at the real Hilton further up the road, and that place was a dump compared to Homewood Suites. At 180/night, it's a steal.

Unfortunately, though, their website was minimal as Pike Place Suites, and practically non-existent as Hilton Homewood. Both times I called to make the reservation.

It's not as close as the Sheraton/Red Lion, but the walk was minimal...it's just a block up the hill from the convenience store that's next to the center. Across the street from the park thing.

Godmeat on
  • zombiebotzombiebot Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's the middle of March already. Where are those hotel rates?
    *gripe gripe*

I'm sure there is a good reason, but I'm starting to get curious.

zombiebot on
    Chelseabot, fell victim Quake III, aka "Girl Killer" in 2007.
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    I have it on good authority that they're coming soon. Sorry I can't say more.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just to add yet more griping (sorry Moe) but we foreign types can't book flights until we have a hotel booking. US immigration forbids international flights until you have an address to stay the first night in when you arrive :(

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

yes you can.

you just need... the right motivation.

I'm sure somebody here can help... motivate you.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    kropotkin wrote: »
    Just to add yet more griping (sorry Moe) but we foreign types can't book flights until we have a hotel booking. US immigration forbids international flights until you have an address to stay the first night in when you arrive :(

Wow that is really stupid. What if you plan on backpacking and hobo-ing it around town?

MaoChan on
  • AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Wow that is really stupid. What if you plan on backpacking and hobo-ing it around town?

Then you're not welcome in Fortress America.

The United States: Freedom! (as long as you're not from anywhere)

AltDelete on
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    AltDelete wrote: »

Hmmmm Fortress America..... *starts to daydream out window as illegals run across the border in the distance*

MaoChan on
  • AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    AltDelete wrote: »

Hmmmm Fortress America..... *starts to daydream out window as illegals run across the border in the distance*

Well we're tough into get in legally, anyway. I suppose they could enter through Canada to get to PAX, but you'd best believe we'll jank your laptop and iPod at the border.

AltDelete on
    edited March 2009

What do you think this is? Some kind of gross European country?

As for you foreign types...why not just reserve a room anywhere, book the flight, then change your reservation when the PAX hotels are released.

Godmeat on
  • spinal77spinal77 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

As for you foreign types...why not just reserve a room anywhere, book the flight, then change your reservation when the PAX hotels are released.
    Probably because when I was making my reservations I noticed that most of them require you to pay up front instead of just having reservations. I got out of that by using my AAA discount and they had different rate rules at the Sheraton.

spinal77 on
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

I understand Moe. Khoo is doing the best he can and I'm sure this is one of a MILLION things that has to get done.

Viscountalpha on
    edited March 2009
    spinal77 wrote: »

Probably because when I was making my reservations I noticed that most of them require you to pay up front instead of just having reservations. I got out of that by using my AAA discount and they had different rate rules at the Sheraton.

that's strange...I've never paid for a hotel up front. they all wanted my credit card number, but they never have charged it until i checked out.

Godmeat on
    edited March 2009

that's strange...I've never paid for a hotel up front. they all wanted my credit card number, but they never have charged it until i checked out.

Expedia and the Sheraton page both stated in their Terms and Conditions that you had to pay up front. :( That's why I went looking for the AAA deal. That may change when you use the PAX rates that are forthcoming in the future.

spinal77 on
    fs_lastplayed.png
    edited March 2009

Expedia and the Sheraton page both stated in their Terms and Conditions that you had to pay up front. :( That's why I went looking for the AAA deal. That may change when you use the PAX rates that are forthcoming in the future.

Wait for the pax deal. Unless somethings radically changed, its how its always been.

Viscountalpha on
  • BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    [
    QUOTE=Godmeat;9383350]

Expedia and the Sheraton page both stated in their Terms and Conditions that you had to pay up front. :( That's why I went looking for the AAA deal. That may change when you use the PAX rates that are forthcoming in the future.[/QUOTE]

You only have to pay upfront for "Web-Only" deals on the Sheraton website. Even once Khoo has the hotel rates ready, actually call the hotels to do the booking if you have any concerns. It's what I did last year with the Sheraton and I plan to do it again; I still got all my confirmations by email just like normal, and I was able to get the PAX rate and make special requests as needed.

BrennaCeDria on
  • Royale Wih CheeseRoyale Wih Cheese Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I bet some type of sinister synergies are in the works.

At least, I hope so. I'm checking the hotels info twice a day now, even as busy as things are. Can't put in for time off this early without some type of concrete obligation (not that hotel reservations are, but it's enough to get the ball rolling). That, and "sinister synergies" sounds better the more I say it.

Royale Wih Cheese on
  • starlitestarlite Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I called the Grand Hyatt because there are no rooms available online, and the reservations lady gave me the "Pax travel desk" phone number which is an agency that can book your hotel at the pax rate. I guess they just haven't posted the info, because they are possibly trying to get more hotel deals. Here is the info I found.

Sheraton 1 king or 2 doubles (full) 174/night
    Grand Hyatt King 169/night
    Grand Hyatt 2 doubles 194/night
    Crown Plaza 1 king or 2 doubles 153/night
    Roosevelt Hotel 1 king or 2 doubles 159/night
    Homewood Suites 1 king or 2 doubles 169/night
    Hotel Max 1 king or 2 doubles 160/night

Hope this helps anyone in trying to plan their trip!

starlite on
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited March 2009
    Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Khoo, can I book a wheelchair room from this website, or do i have to call?

Or can I book first then call?

parabola on
    edited March 2009

Hmmm it appears that the Sheraton is already booked up; I got a no rooms available when I tried to look up reservations.

spinal77 on
    fs_lastplayed.png
    edited March 2009
    The email for help pennyarcade@ttgonline.com apparently is borked right now. Cant send anything to it.

parabola on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Hmmm it appears that the Sheraton is already booked up; I got a no rooms available when I tried to look up reservations.

Its not. Its just not avaialble for the daterange you selected.

The majority of the pax block at most of the hotels are just for the nights around and on PAX itself.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • iamconfidenceiamconfidence Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    UPDATE: will move my room info to the room share thread. :D

iamconfidence on
    --
    ETA.Confidence
    EscapeTheAsylum.com
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Reserved at the Grand Hyatt! (It was a great hotel last time =) ) That's an awesome new management suite for the reservation process Khoo, very nice! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited March 2009
    awww. the shearton is showing up as $199 a night now :(

SmallLady on
    edited March 2009
    Reserved at the Grand Hyatt! (It was a great hotel last time =) ) That's an awesome new management suite for the reservation process Khoo, very nice! =)

^5!

And yeah, the Sheraton discount is more expensive than it was last year (by $10 a night) while everything else looks cheaper.

parabola on
  • starlitestarlite Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Where is the Red Lion rate? I called them and they said they had a block reserved with a rate, but I have to book it through the Pax travel desk, which doesn't show it as a listed hotel.

starlite on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm in the process of getting a room at the Hyatt as well. Love the new reservation system as well Khoo, thanks! :D

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited March 2009
    parabola wrote: »
    Khoo, can I book a wheelchair room from this website, or do i have to call?

Or can I book first then call?

I think the best bet would be to book the room and then call up to specify. Thanks!

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm failing to understand the Hyatt polices. The deposit amount is not charged until check-in, correct? So I could book it now and not pay a dime until then?

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    I'm failing to understand the Hyatt polices. The deposit amount is not charged until check-in, correct? So I could book it now and not pay a dime until then?

Correct.

If you have to cancel the room and dont do so within 24h of your checkin date then you forefit the deposit amount.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    has anyone stayed at the hilton seattle? i have a hilton honors account and cant decide between the homewood suites or the hilton

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
    edited March 2009
    YAY! I booked the Hilton Homewood Suites :D

SmallLady on
  • beowuffbeowuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The only thing that confused me was that the Hyatt says you can only have double occupancy in a room with two beds... Why can't there be 3 people in a room with two beds???

beowuff on
    edited March 2009
    starlite wrote: »
    Where is the Red Lion rate? I called them and they said they had a block reserved with a rate, but I have to book it through the Pax travel desk, which doesn't show it as a listed hotel.

I noticed the Red Lion wasn't there at first either, but I changed the occupancy at the top to 4 people and it showed up. Try that.
    beowuff wrote: »
    The only thing that confused me was that the Hyatt says you can only have double occupancy in a room with two beds... Why can't there be 3 people in a room with two beds???

Yeah that kinda pissed me off, I even switched the occupancy to 4 and it says that none of the rooms at the Hyatt meet that, and there's no reason for it. So I'm not sure if that's something with the Hyatt or with this reservation system. I'm still booking it anyway though. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
This discussion has been closed.