As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rank's sketchdump - two new pieces p10

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Are you supposed to be doing these all at once or did you just procrastinate?
    ideally I would have had time to work on these earlier this week

but the workload for my classes tends to force these sorts of projects to be last minute

I did take last friday off to rest, but otherwise I've been working pretty much non-stop

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'd give you some advice on how to mitigate it, but I don't have a damn clue beyond "be more careful".

Tam on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    yeah, I think I'm just being too hasty. Need to be more cautious, but at this point? Fuck it.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    A helpful tip when working with charcoal/conte crayon on toned paper is to pull back on your darks and put more emphasis on your lights.

You'd be surprised how little black you actually need to make something three-dimensional.

Godfather on
    edited February 2009
    yeah, I really need to learn to trust the tone of the paper

it's tough, I'm not used to using a toned paper, but it's fun

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So much improvement, dude. DigiPen will really do that to ya. Work you to the bone, but the results are great. The one thing I gotta say is that I like the feet midterm picture, but the cartoony menacing eyes are a big put off to me. Would have been interesting to see hands begin to wrap around the ankles or something more suspenseful, if that's what you were going for.

If you ever want some one on one advice or got any questions, my schedules pretty open as well on campus. Great stuff, man.

GurtPerk on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Wow, that first person smoking one is awesome.

bombardier on
    edited March 2009
    the first actual painting I've ever done. About 2 1/2 hours in class. Need to do some touchup work, but it's nearly done.

n526238959_1422777_6611000.jpg

need to bring up the saturation on the little orange and the plum and add some more yellow and red to the apples, and play with the shadows, as well as add the indentation where the stem comes out of the apple, but otherwise, thoughts?

edit: woah it looks bad on camera - the colors here are waaay different than on the actual painting

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited March 2009
    Are you required to finish it in class? Two and a half hours doesn't seem long enough to me. You have to set up your composition, lay it out onto canvas, find your color centers and test strips, THEN you can paint.

Or maybe i'm just bitter that it takes fucking forever for us to do a painting, I don't know.

Godfather on
    edited March 2009
    yeah it was all in class

we've got time to finish it, but we don't have the still life to work from any more, so we did as much as we could

mine was one of the more finished ones, luckily

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Is that oil/acrylic, or something else? Either way, it's looking pretty good for a first painting; I like the toned shadows you've got going, though I suppose as you said the colors are off in the picture, it wouldn't do much good to critique them here...

...though that makes the piece really hard to critique; for instance, the piece in general is kind of lacking a sense of depth, but based on the picture, I'd say it's because the colors of the fruit are too consistent (there'd be a change, in other words, from the highlights to the shadows, not just in lightness, but also in hue and saturation (generally warmer and more saturated in the light regions). But that could just be the picture.

It's not too hard to take a reasonably accurate picture of a painting with a camera, if you know the principles to follow. Did you adjust the white balance of the picture, for instance? If your earlier pictures are an indication, that's gonna be a cell phone camera, so I imagine you can't really adjust exposure, or put it on a tripod, but if it's got a white balance option buried somewhere, that can help at least a little.

crawdaddio on
    edited March 2009
    acrylic

the shadows are toned because the light we were using was going through a yellow gel, shifting the shadows toward violet

and it was on my cel phone, I'll try using my actual camera and make some color adjustments in photoshop to try to match the original more once I do the touch-ups

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, technically the shadows were still grey, but perception is a funny thing that way (and you were still right to paint them violet).

Anyway, if you do take the picture with your camera, and it has a manual setting, try setting it for around f-5.6, with a shutter speed that will give you the lightest picture without blowing out the highlights (if the camera shows histograms, perfect) (also, you might need a tripod or steady surface to pull that off)--you can then adjust the levels in Photoshop, and since the lighter side of the tonal range has more info than the darker side, it should give you a better picture. I think. Photographers, correct me, please. Also, if possible, set your camera's optical zoom as far in as it'll go, so you minimize distortion.

crawdaddio on
    edited March 2009
    dannyrose_sm.jpg

one of the drawings for a character design project for my acting for animation class - this is a reimagining of Woody Allen's character from Broadway Danny Rose.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited March 2009
    Looks like a skinny rabbit elton john

Tam on
    edited March 2009
    you look like a skinny elton john

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited March 2009
    yeah well you're fat

Tam on
    edited March 2009
    a fat elton john

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited March 2009
    a fat gay elton john

Tam on
    edited March 2009
    man if alts weren't retarded as balls I'd totally make a Regular Sized Elton John alt right now and call you a faggot

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited March 2009
    Fuck you Tam elton john is magical.

Godfather on
    edited March 2009
    my final submissions for my life drawing midterms

feet_contour.jpg

feet_linear.jpg

feet_rendered.jpg

hands_contour.jpg

hands_linear.jpg

hands_rendered.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I like the wire/grid thing you got going on.

NibCrom on
    edited March 2009
    that was part of the assignment, drawing cross contour lines

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    Those are all high class and fantastic finished pieces.

bombardier on
    edited March 2009
    thanks, man :D

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited March 2009
    Rankenphile

more like

Frankly Vile, Stankin' Pyle
    Just kiddin

you're pretty awesome rank

Tam on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    rank, that is some amazing stuff

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    Rankenphile

more like

Frankly Vile, Stankin' Pyle
    Just kiddin

you're pretty awesome rank
    whatever, fat elton john

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited March 2009
    Final_MSwanson_sm.jpg

a drawing for my bio class. Perspective exercise, etc. Not too thrilled with it, but it has some parts I like. India ink with brush and pen.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    nice! it reminds me a lot of that spraypaint game you were talking about

Projeck on
    edited April 2009
    that extended knee thing he's doing makes him look rather effeminate

not sure if that's what you were going for

Tam on
    edited April 2009
    wasn't really, but I see it now and can't stop seeing it

damn it

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited April 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NNpNGfZcvQ

my first dialog test

issues with drifting and volume, but the character of the character reads, and the lip sync works pretty well. I should have staggered the audio a frame or two, and I'd like to go in and fix some issues and do cleanup, but schedule is tiiiiiight right now

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm sorry I don't really have anything to contribute since I don't know anything about animating dialog, but that was a very entertaining three seconds.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
    edited April 2009
    alright, for my final for tone color comp, I need to do a self-portrait as a character in costume and environment from a game, movie, whatever

so I figured what better chance to draw some badass fucking space marines and stick my head in there

I roughed out a comp in photoshop in about 20 minutes or so to get a feeling for it and would love some feedback/help

I gotta paint this in acrylic, so any help on how to pull that off (how to start, etc) would be extremely helpful, as I've only done like four paintings ever, and only one to completion, and that was some fucking fruit

Comp_1_sm.jpg

thoughts? please?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited April 2009
    have you tried

not sucking

no, but, seriously, you need to use hard brushes along with soft ones, otherwise everything's going to run together. Also, that suit is way too small to be space marine power armor.

Tam on
    edited April 2009
    it's going to be in acrylic, not digital, this was just to throw some shit together as a color test to see if it would even work

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited April 2009
    well, composition's solid

Tam on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    bigger armor!

Projeck on