As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vista File Sharing Question

CronusCronus Registered User regular
206csjn.jpg

I'm trying to setup my home network so that some folders will be shared, but only accessible by a single user on another machine. Both of the computers are on the same workgroup and see each other fine. i.e. I can access the public folders on both and they see each other on the network map as in the same workgroup. However when adding users to the permissions list for sharing the second computer is not shown in the locations window(shown above).

I can select everyone and that works, but that doesn't solve the problem of only allowing the one user.

Can anyone help me with this issue?

camo_sig.png
"Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
Cronus on

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Maybe create another account on the 1st computer (the one that's being shared from) and set the security settings that way? Then just have it autologon when it connects using that account on the other computer

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    Maybe create another account on the 1st computer (the one that's being shared from) and set the security settings that way? Then just have it autologon when it connects using that account on the other computer

Unfortunately I don't think that would work. No account on the first computer can see the second in the locations dialog. That is the main problem, or at least the symptom, where both computers can see each other, but I can't figure out how to set a specific user from one computer with access to a folder on the second.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Without Active Directory, the Select Users or Groups dialog will only have access to accounts on the local machine. The fix is to create the same User account on both machines. Make sure the name and password match between computers. You can then use that User in the permissions dialogs and be able to access it from the remote machine. Once you add your designated user to the Share permissions, make sure to remove the Everyone group.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Without Active Directory, the Select Users or Groups dialog will only have access to accounts on the local machine. The fix is to create the same User account on both machines. Make sure the name and password match between computers. You can then use that User in the permissions dialogs and be able to access it from the remote machine. Once you add your designated user to the Share permissions, make sure to remove the Everyone group.

Thanks for the help. That worked.

What are active directories? It makes sense that you would be able to add a user from another machine on the workgroup access to a directory without creating an identical local user. Especially with the ability for conflicts.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Active Directory is what you get when you have a domain. This requires a server and a fair bit of configuration.

Having a user account on both machines with the same password is the way to go.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack