As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E - Recruitment] The seas of Merwil

2»

• Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm sure that this breaks all of the various rules you've asked for, but he's my first complete character so I'm posting him anyway. So there. :P

Rhask, Dragonborn Sorcerer

Myth-weavers Sheet:
    Description:
    Rhask's defining characteristic, beyond the obvious fact that he is a dragonoid standing well over six feet tall, would have to be the slightly sad look in his eyes. There is something decidedly unsettling swirling in their reddish depths -- something that speaks of a mind very much nearer to the edge of madness than most. The red eyes stand in marked contrast to the deep blueish hue of Rhask's scales. Noble of bearing and articulate of speech, Rhask effortlessly commands attention and respect. In another life, he could have been a great politician or a warleader to thousands. It was not to be.

Bio:
    Rhask was born to a tiny tribe of Dragonborn that made its home in the archipelago to the north of Port Feron. The People of the Salted Waters were a simple folk, but a proud one, reveling in the differences that put them apart from, and in their minds above, even other Dragonborn. The People of the Salted Waters prided themselves on their hunting abilities, and the greatest of their warriors would often stalk and kill the great sharks of the reefs, stunning the fish with an electric discharge before closing in for the kill.

It was to his family's great sorrow that Rhask demonstrated signs of sorcerous talent on the day of his hatching -- for tradition held that the ancestor-touched must be exposed to the Salted Waters and left to fend for themselves out in the wide World Sea. So it was that Rhask was placed on an islet at the moment of his seventh sunrise, and so it was that -- five days later -- the tiny Dragonborn slipped under the easternmost pier of Port Feron and clambered onto land.

Since that day Rhask has survived on the streets of Port Feron, relying on his prodigious strength, preternatural charm and, increasingly, on his burgeoning sorcery to make ends meet. His abandonment at the hands of his family, and his utter incomprehension at the constantly shifting reality around him, have left him damaged and permanently off-balance. Nevertheless, Rhask senses greatness stirring within him, and he will do what he must to realize it.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    bandorr your earlier suggestion is probably not a good thing to suggest at all here

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    KevdogKevdog Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Finally got around to fleshing out my concept. :)Arnann, Dwarf Cleric of Erathis.

Appearance, Mannerisms, and Personality
    Arnann's rough dwarven skin and coarse reddish-brown hair suggest a tough exterior, but his warm eyes and cheerful grin show his empathetic nature. He is a bit awkward on his feet but steadfast in his devotion to family, friends, and Erathis. He's always willing to chat over a pint or three and speaks simply but wisely.

Arnann is most at home in the hustle and bustle of cities and trading ports. He's comfortable at sea but doesn't particularly enjoy the confines of a ship, save for the fact that it usually means a ready supply of ale to be had and tales to be heard. Still, he holds a deep respect for those who make their living plying Merwil's trade routes -- he believes strongly in the power of teamwork and clearly sees how it's such a critical part of a successful sailing crew.

Background
    Arnann pounded again on the door of the small shack. "Anthur," he called out. "ANTHUR! It's Arnann! Open the damned door already!"

Still no response.

Arnann looked up and down the beach he found himself on. Not a soul as far as he could see in either direction, save for the port of Illesius Bank, where he had landed, off on the horizon. There was no question this was his cousin's house, but why wasn't he answering? And what had possessed him to live like this, all by himself away from the safety of civilization?

On a lark, the dwarf tried the door handle. To his surprise, it gave way. Inside, nothing seemed out of place -- no sign of a struggle, no damage, nothing apparently missing. Except his cousin.

Finding no clues as to where Anthur might have gone, Arnann sighed and stepped back outside, closing the door behind him. He had spent nearly every gold piece he had getting passage from Jarusel after receiving his cousin's letter. Now Anthur was nowhere to be found, and Arnann was stuck, nearly broke, on an island he hardly knew.

Arnann started the long walk back to town. The ship he had come in on was probably gone by now, but the port was still his best lead on -- well, continuing to live. Erathis willing, he could find a way to secure transportation back home -- or some leads on what happened to his cousin.

EDIT: I just remembered I'm going to be out of town the week of April 19-25 and may not be able to post regularly during that time. If that will be an issue, I don't at all mind withdrawing to make room for someone else.

Kevdog on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I present to you:

Railo Windspray, Genasi Swordmage

Description:
    With silver-whorled purple skin and a mane of golden crystals, the genasi before you strikes an imposing image. Whenever your wanderings bring you near, you notice an almost palpable static in the air as it tingles across your skin, the smell of ozone briefly touching your nostrils. Though this mysterious warrior keeps his own company, you notice him studying those around him, his intense stare flashing with intelligence.
    Bio:
    Railo Windspray, like his sisters before him, was born at sea. His mother, an air Genasi, was captain of the Archon's Breath, a longship sailing out of the small coastal Genasi village of Serpent's Teeth. In the tradition of their people, she and her water Genasi husband took a small vessel out to sea when the birthing time came. Though Railo was not her first child, his birth was difficult, and what was supposed to be a trip of only a few hours quickly became a treacherous journey. A storm had rolled in, placing the vessel in grave danger, and Railo's father had to call upon every skill of the sail known to him to keep the small craft afloat. Finally, near the end of the second day, Railo was born, his cries drowned out by the fury of the storm. But as his mother clutched the newborn to her breast, Railo quickly calmed and fell asleep to the lullaby of wave and thunder.

Life in the village was hard, and as soon as he was old enough, Railo was started on his lessons. Early on, his mother tried to instill in him the art of captaincy and warfare as she had with his sisters, and while he took quickly to the sword, he always found himself more comfortable alone with his thoughts working on his father's fishing boat than barking orders on the crowded deck of his mother's longship. Railo would have made an excellent fisherman, too, but that was not to be his destiny.

In his free time, Railo would often play at the top of the "teeth" of the village namesake Serpent, practicing his swordplay against invisible assailants with a trusty bit of driftwood. On one such day, he was startled to find the old village hermit, a fire Genasi named Alkanos, observing his maneuvers. Armed with his own length of timber, old Alkanos hobbled over to Railo and took up a fighting stance. With a few cutting remarks, Alkanos provoked Railo into taking an attack, but the youth was stunned to find his blow deflected by an invisible field of force. Off-balance, Railo let out a yelp of surprise as Alkanos' "blade" bursts into flame, and with one flick of the wrist, Alkanos slashed Railo's weapon in twain, each half smoldering at the point of contact. Thus had Railo discovered his calling.

Every evening for the next several years, Railo studied under the tutelage of Alkanos, learning the dual arts of spell and blade from the old warrior. The constant sparring combined with the nature of village life began to yield results, and as the years rolled by the boy fleshed out into an athletic young man. Finally, the day came when Alkanos had no more lessons for Railo, and the hermit tasked the young swordmage with testing all he had learned out in the world.

His family, while sad to see him go, gave him their blessing. Providing him with equipment from the village stockpiles and a cord with several ivory trade disks, they said tearful goodbyes as he boarded the Archon's Breath, now captained by his eldest sister, and departed for the Rephides.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    LafajetLafajet Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kevdog wrote: »
    EDIT: I just remembered I'm going to be out of town the week of April 19-25 and may not be able to post regularly during that time. If that will be an issue, I don't at all mind withdrawing to make room for someone else.

We can probably work something out if people are in no position to post for shorter periods of time. The only real reason I decided on the "one post/day" rule is that I want to keep the flow up as much as possible, but if that is doable by any other means (me playing the characters whose players are away, for example) there really is no problem.

Lafajet on
  • Options
    manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    manaleak34 wrote: »
    Here's my current build. Decided to give a Dragonborn a try on this one.

Brath, Dragonborn Fighter
    Brath, level 1
    Dragonborn, Fighter
    Fighter Talents: Battlerager Vigor(Martial Power)
    BATTLERAGER VIGOR
    Appears in Martial Power
    Each time an enemy hits you with a melee or a close attack, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier (after the attack is resolved).

When you gain temporary hit points by hitting with an attack that has the invigorating keyword, those temporary hit points stack with any other temporary hit points you already have.

When wearing light armor or chainmail, you gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls with melee and close weapon attacks whenever you have temporary hit points. This bonus increases to +2 if you’re wielding an axe, a hammer, a mace, or a pick.

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 19, Con 15, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 10.

Starting Ability Scores
    Str 17, Con 15, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8.

AC: 16 Fort: 16 Reflex: 11 Will: 10
    HP: 30 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
    Intimidate, Endurance, Athletics.

FEATS
    1: Dragonborn Frenzy(PHB)

POWERS
    1, At-Will: Brash Strike(MB)
    1, At-Will: Reaping Strike(PHB)
    1, Encounter: Covering Attack(PHB)
    1, Daily: Knee Breaker(MP)

ITEMS
    Chainmail, Adventurer's Kit, Battleaxe, Longsword, Dagger
    Dragonborn are known to be large creatures however Brath still manages to amazing onlookers with his huge build of over 300 lbs covered by drab and tattered sailing clothes and chain armor. Unlike most of his kind his scales are rusty crimson covered with many scars from battle, several of which are across his scowling face.

While he does have blood connections to the now abandoned Dragonborn island kingdoms Brath has no concern over his heritage and left his nomadic tribe as soon as he was of age. Due to his natural abilities Brath managed to get plenty of gold through safeguarding goods ships and other jobs requiring brute strength. Eventually he became a member of The Salty Stirge one of the many pirates crews that prowl the island waters and would earn him much more than his previous work. Brath stayed with the crew for about five years as a faceless thug who would raid ships killing indiscriminately. The crew was prosperous but the law managed to catch up with them in a grand battle with the Stirge facing heavy odds. Before the ship was sunk and the crew captured Brath abandoned ship and managed to escape, eventually washing up onto the shore of one of the Rephides Islands. Brath does not know if there are any other survivors and he doesn't really care. After wandering the islands for a least a month returning to strings of oddjobs. Brath is now keeping a low profile within the Illesius Bank hoping for some kind of lucky break.

Brath is a quiet grumpily one usually keeping to himself with most of social interaction being bartering his pay or sending his axe into someone's chest. Despite this he is able to keep his emotions in check and rather than attack enemies in a blind rage he fights strategically in order to hurt his enemies as brutally and effectively as possible. Barth is still very much a pirate and only will use his weapons provided he is paid for it and has no trouble betraying his allies or employer if a better offer comes along. Oddly enough however Brath is brutally honest and sees no point in being deceptive to others. Being a hired thug most of his life Brath has focused on hurting people and keeping himself alive making him have very focused, but very effective talents.

Updated with Myth-Weaver character sheet.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Options
    HarlonHarlon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So this is a first time for me on 4e, hopefully it works out! Went with PHB2, but I will document everything needed to know on the Myth-Weavers sheet, or you can always ask. Also, I'm in the same boat as you, Lafajet. I'm in South Korea so my times are a bit screwy as well - though I'm a shift worker, so my schedule is all over the place.

Iomer, Gnome Bard

Summary:
    Iomer Gublac, level 1
    Gnome, Bard
    Bardic Virtue: Virtue of Cunning

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 9, Con 10, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 20.

Starting Ability Scores
    Str 9, Con 10, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 18.

AC: 17 Fort: 10 Reflex: 15 Will: 16
    HP: 22 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana, Intimidate, Streetwise, Bluff, Diplomacy.

FEATS
    1: Ritual Caster
    1: Linguist

POWERS
    1, At-Will: Misdirected Mark
    1, At-Will: Vicious Mockery
    1, Encounter: Blunder
    1, Daily: Stirring Shout

ITEMS
    Ritual Book, Chainmail, Short sword, Light Shield, Arcane Implement, Wand, Flute, Adventurer's Kit
    Appearance / Personality:
    Iomer is short, even by Gnome standards, standing proudly at three feet two inches tall. His golden-brown hair is matted down to the contours of his head with sideburns kept thick, yet dapper. With dark green eyes that are unusually large, separated by an even larger nose, it would be considered odd by most that this gnome was able to find eyeglasses that fit. A perpetual smirk is drawn across his face, no matter what the mood or environment.

Iomer is a linguist of few words. Comical but well-mannered, he preserves his thoughts for when the appropriate opportunities arise. Stubborn as an angry mule, he believes he is never incorrect, and although those times do exist, pity to the man who attempts to strike up a debate. However, as a skilled merchant does, he knows to place customer first and is very talented at disguising his true feelings when he needs to be presentable.

Iomer is normally caught wearing a faded brown vest, an unsightly garment that is tearing at the seams and occasionally gives a peek at his portly belly. The rest of his outfit shares a similar appearance, worn and rugged, at no time what would be considered "fashionable." At 45 years old, he's still got his youth, but you discern that is about all he has going for him.
    Background:
    Iomer was born to a merchant couple in Hartown who denied the young gnome's requests to study at a public school in Port Feron and instead home-schooled him through his grade-school years. Taking an particular interest in music, language and diplomatics, he furthered his desire to travel to the "Big City." Although the average gnome finishes their education around the age of 39, Iomer wasn't released until 42 when his parents "deemed" he was ready to begin working as working for their small, but respectable trade company. Unfortunately for them, however, Iomer had other plans. After three years of making trades in his parents' stead on the ship, travelling to small ports in the Rephides islands, the young gnome decided to take his life beyond his family's business and his destiny drew him to Illesius Bank. After concluding the contracted trade agreements in the settlement, his ship and crew were sent back to Hartown less one body, only the coffer of gold they had procured and a note.

Your fostering and love for your only son will never go unforgotten. I wish no illness ever handicaps you, no labor ever fatigues you, and no misfortune ever brings a moonless night upon you. You can be reassured that I will return and you will be proud of my accomplishments.

Iomer

Harlon on
    3DS FC 1048-9228-8841
  • Options
    StygianSmileyFaceStygianSmileyFace Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Guess I'll throw something in here. My first attempt so, comments/criticism welcome...

Basic Info
    Findarato Nehamsier 'L Puero Ahm (Finn), level 1
    Half-Elf, Ranger (Beast Master)
    Background: Explorer/Ne're Do Well

Starting ABILITY SCORES
    Str 12, Con 13, Dex 15, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 15.

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 12, Con 15, Dex 15, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 17.

AC: 14 Fort: 13 Reflex: 13 Will: 13
    HP: 28 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics, Athletics, Endurance, Nature, Stealth

FEATS
    1: Weapon Proficiency -- Rapier

POWERS
    1, At-Will: Hunter's Quarry
    1, At-Will: Hit and Run
    1, At-Will: Nimble Strike
    1, Encounter: Deft Strike [Half-Elf]
    1, Encounter: Evasive Strike
    1, Daily: Sudden Strike

ITEMS
    Adventurers Kit, 1lb canvas, 1lb case, fishhook, parchment sheets X 3, sealing wax, spyglass, rapier, leather armor

Background/Personality Traits
    Background:
    "Hello there fine merchant. My name is Findarato Nehamsier 'L Puero... Ahhh, I see your attention wavering. No matter, no one calls me anything more than Finn anyway. Barely any time to call that out if the boom is about to strike you in the head I always say. What's that? Oh that? That's Nast. She's harmless. Well, I suppose she IS trying to eat your halfling clerk, we have not eaten in quite some time after - Alright then. I'll show myself out"

Finn came from restless stock, the result of his father's silver tongue and an elven woman who did not know her limit in drinking. From the former he gained his gift of talk, the latter his ease of movement. Elves didn't take kindly to him, and his father has always been nothing more than a legend he changed on the flip of a coin to serve his current purpose. Without a family and without a purpose, Finn threw himself into the crew life with abandon - accomplishing himself quite well through the years. As of late work has been meager, but Finn knows there is something out there in the oceans calling to him. All he has to do is listen.

Personality Traits
    A glint of a smile and a kind word have gotten Finn further in life than the turn of a blade, although he could take the whisker's off of a catfish before the creature was half out of the water of course. He's easy going, quick to laugh and more than likely willing to try and talk his way out of trouble before anything else. He does have a few nervous tics, most of which include rolling coins across his knuckles or getting on the nerves of merchants with just a few too many attempts to bring down their price a bit more. Usually these get worse the further he is from the sea, or the longer he goes without having Nast with him.

Edited to include MW character sheet

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Right, I may not be able to check in on this thread during the weekend, real life obligations are upcoming. I will get back to cheking up on it as soon as I can though, so keep posting your characters and questions and I'll answer them as soon as I can.

Lafajet on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Right guys, I have some bad news. I'm starting to think that I may not have time to properly plan and go through with this campaign. Between work, studies and my personal life I really have very little time for other things and I don't feel I would do this justice as it stands today. I'm sorry for having you all go through the trouble of making characters for this and then springing this on you now, I really am...

If anyone feels like taking over the DM role please feel free to use the base setting here, it seems it resonatted with people and it would be a waste to toss it all away jus because I can't manage my time. Once again, I'm really sorry.

Lafajet on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Real life happens. Thanks for the attempt!

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What Stygian said. Don't worry about it, and thanks for letting us know, Lafajet.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    HarlonHarlon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That's totally understandable Lafajet.

If I had even the slightest experience as a DM I would be jumping all over this campaign - you're right, the setting really resonated with people. Maybe next time!

Harlon on
    3DS FC 1048-9228-8841
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I fully support someone trying to DM another game. Mostly because I'd like to try one! :)

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    all good man.. its better to not start if you cant commit to it, imo.

i would offer to DM, but i also cannot commit to the time/effort it would take.

psolms on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hmmm, I wanted to sign up for this, but I came in too late.

However, I might be interested in acting as DM, do you have any plans you can send me?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    likethesearchenginelikethesearchengine Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm looking to join a game, and this looks interesting...

However, I've never done anything but in person and maptools before. How does play by post really work? Is there a summary somewhere?

I had already conceived of a drow ex-pirate-turned-internally-conflicted-sorcerer for another campaign, maybe that would work here. Maybe not, whoever takes over DMing can tell me.

likethesearchengine on
    moulder_sage_magic.gif
  • Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i would check out any of the pbp games currently running for a good overview.

-Denada's Game
    -Themindtaker's Game 1
    -Themindtaker's Game 2 (both in the same town/universe)
    -Dajian's Game (one of the newer ones)
    -Cytorak's Game
    -DVG's Game
    -Tastydonut's Game
    -Prester John's Game

... Denada's Game is pretty long, so it gives a good idea about how stuff goes down (also, fun to watch)

psolms on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    We'll be here if you change your mind. Setting sounds cool IMO.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Posting in the dim hope that someone takes this one up and none of the other games pick me.

Azulan, Half-Elf Paladin Divine Defender
    Init +0 HP 31/31 Bloodied 15 Healing Surge 7 ( used /13)
    AC 18 Fort 14 Reflex 12 Will 13 Speed 5
    Str 14 (+2) Con 16 (+3) Dex 10 (+0) Int 13 (+1) Wis 14 (+2) Cha 14 (+2)
    Second Wind
    Divine Challenge
    Lay on Hands
    Bolstering Strike
    Valiant Strike
    Reaping Strike
    Divine Mettle
    Divine Strength
    Piercing Strike
    Paladin's Judgement

Background and Personality
    Unable to lie, annoyingly honest and frank about his opinions about the current situation. Willing to fight any foe or overcome any challenge to end injustice. Always prepared to fight and to die for what is right. Never far away from his armor and greatsword. Very rarely will you see Azulan enjoying the mirth and merriment of others. Constantly looking for the next villain to defeat or the next commoner to help. Doesn't care for the constant bickering amongst various races. Grew up with humans, elves and dwarves, and learned all he could from them. Wishes to travel the lands and shine the light of Bahamut on the dark places and peoples of the world.

Appearance
    Unusually tall and stocky for a Half-Elf. Generally accounted for by his constant training as a child. Darker skin than usual and a black head of hair make for an unassuming yet intimidating visage. Very little is known about him, and he likes to keep it that way. Carries a holy symbol crafted by his father, and a greatsword forged by the dwarven friends he grew up with as a child. Constantly mussed appearance shows little regard for personal appearance, as his focus is constantly shifting to more substantive endeavors. If there is one thing that sticks out about his appearance, it is his back, showing an elvish mark for each creature slain in service of Bahamut. There are not many now, but the road ahead shows promise of adventure.

LightRider on