As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Has the Wii bubble burst?

• Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Do you even know what half the titles on the list are?

Yes, do you? See I can be patronizing too!
    However, there's clearly no point in pursuing this, since the Wii apparantly raped your grandmother. At least try climing off your precious little pedestal for a minute.

Right back at you!

My word.
    Your argument is clearly so secure that you don't even need to state it, and can simply rely on mindless parroting to apparantly prove something.
    What that something other than your own lack of imagination is I'm not entirely sure.
    No, seriously, I have no idea what either of you are arguing about but you're coming off as a defensive zealot of a fan.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sploozoo wrote: »
    Besides Mario Kart, or maybe even Dr. Mario, there's nothing I'd be willing to sink a hundred hours into (Fallout, COD, Killzone) on the Wii.

I wouldn't put hundred hours into any videogame, especially none of you listed, but then again, I have life. :)

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    So, what does the sales data show for all the latest consoles?

I think that some things are selling really well.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My word.
    Your argument is clearly so secure that you don't even need to state it, and can simply rely on mindless parroting to apparantly prove something.
    What that something other than your own lack of imagination is I'm not entirely sure.

Again, you claim people are "biased" on page 1 and then fail to see your own? It's quite amazing really. I do indeed know what the games you mentioned are, but I don't overinflate how good I think everything is on a system to prove a point like you are trying to.

I then don't pretend that my list of stuff that you've just thrown up is infallible like you, then turn to patronizing anyone who disagrees with you for "obviously" not knowing what they are.

And again, only some of those are coming out soon, but it's been over a year without anything really good. While some things that sound good are hopefully coming out soon, it may be a little too little too late. Which is a shame, because of the 3 current consoles the Wii had the best starting games library of any of them.

By the way, mr "I make lists", this exact argument you've made here can be directed right back at you. Just so you know.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    MarioG wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    MarioG wrote: »
    Th Wii slowing down in sales only proves just how much of a fad this system really is. Like every fad people are obsessed for a while and then they let it go as quickly as they picked it up. What else would you expect from casuals? they purchase video games based around almost nothing except maybe a well known series or just by looking at the cover. They don't go into a great amount of thought to decide if in March they'll be buying MadWorld Resident Evil or Killzone. It's just the way the Wii has been targeted towards them and it is not the least but surprising that they would get bored of it.

That's an awesome tone. Let's condescend toward people who don't make video games their hobby of choice.

I didn't mean for it to turn out insulting I was just trying to explain how casual gamers play and purchase their games in most situations.

You're right, I jumped the gun on that statement. Started to let my frustrations from non-forum happenings spill into my posting. >.<

I'm gonna disagree though in the fad bit. None of my coworkers saw it as a cool thing to do, or THE thing to do, to get Wii's. Nor did their parents (several of my coworkers' parents got Wii's last holiday season). I mean, that's what makes a fad different - the fitting in part. They certainly heard about it before, but not to the extent of, "Oh dude everyone is getting one."

Only one of my coworkers, for the record, is a gamer (to the sense this forum understands them to be).

It was most likely my surroundings that have left me with that impression. I'm still in grade school and you know how kids are.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Far better that some people here are comprehending. It's nice that people here clutch into funky theories about about how Wii audience doesn't buy games when factual data shows quite opposite. Here is friendly tip for everyone involved. If you using claim that can be checked against factual data, do some research before posting. I think that alone would remove some misconceptions all around.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    elkatas wrote: »

Far better that some people here are comprehending. It's nice that people here clutch into funky theories about about how Wii audience doesn't buy games when factual data shows quite opposite.

Yes, all these clearly representative samples are astounding.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    *peeks into thread*

*back right out*

(I'm sorry, GnomeTank. I'm sure you were trying to stir up genuine and meaningful discussion, but there was no way a subject like that would've worked. Never underestimate how voracious grown-ass people can be hating/defending on fucking toys.)

Zxerol on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fine. I'll make ine last try at actually posting reasoned argument, despite the apparant inability of some to understand it.

Again, you claim people are "biased" on page 1 and then fail to see your own? It's quite amazing really. I do indeed know what the games you mentioned are, but I don't overinflate how good I think everything is on a system to prove a point like you are trying to.
    Except that I only claimed to be posting a list of some forthcoming games that might be promising. The biggest bias clogging this up is, sadly, your own. I'd attack any kind of ignorance just as vigorously.
    I then don't pretend that my list of stuff that you've just thrown up is infallible like you, then turn to patronizing anyone who disagrees with you for "obviously" not knowing what they are.
    It's interesting that you keep attirbuting things to me that I haven;t actually said, given that you need them to prove your own points. At least try to read things before replying to them.
    ... but it's been over a year without anything really good.
    Regrettably true, bar Overkill, NMH and one or two others.
    this exact argument you've made here can be directed right back at you.
    No, saying that repeatedly doesn't make it at all true, I fear; especially since I haven't been making an argument, just pointing out the flaws in your own rants.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I can dig stuff from Sales threads if you want, but I wouldn't really want to waste whole night to do it. :|

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If a system has at least one game that you're willing to go back and play again and again, it's worth owning.

I have at least five games for the Wii that fit that bill.

(Trauma Center New Blood, Castle Shikigami 3, Ultimate Shooting Collection, Geometry Wars Galaxies, Baroque)

No More Heroes doesn't quite fall into that category since I've beaten it to death, but I'm sure I'll play it again before long because the game's that good.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »
    *peeks into thread*

*back right out*

(I'm sorry, GnomeTank. I'm sure you were trying to stir up genuine and meaningful discussion, but there was no way a subject like that would've worked. Never underestimate how voracious grown-ass people can be hating/defending on fucking toys.)

Totally agree. One of the biggest problems is that we're dealing with stuff that's so subjective. And people don't seem to realize it, hence "List Warz" and discussions that devolve into name-calling. I also find it when folks accuse others of bias. Well, duh. We're all biased to some degree, and I think it's silly to think that we're not.

Oh well. I wish I had a nickel for every time someone posted a topic like this ...

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    None of you have discussed the article.

I bet none of you have even read it. Every single person discussing this topic without specifically referencing the article is being a tool.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The Wii "bubble" hasn't burst. In the West, it continues to gain popularity and break sales records. In Japan, it continues to greatly outsell its competition, even if it's no longer a 6 to 1 ratio. First party sales numbers are astounding. Third party sales figures are excellent.

The fact is, supply is finally catching up to demand. It happens with every product. But since supply is finally catching up to demand with the Wii, it's seen as a bubble bursting? Bah.

Also, people complain about this that and the other, and unsurprisingly, these are the people who have not bought MadWorld yet.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Goomba wrote: »
    Do you even know what half the titles on the list are?

Yes, do you? See I can be patronizing too!
    However, there's clearly no point in pursuing this, since the Wii apparantly raped your grandmother. At least try climing off your precious little pedestal for a minute.

Right back at you!

My word.
    No, seriously, I have no idea what either of you are arguing about but you're coming off as a defensive zealot of a fan.
    (Shrug)
    Not my intention.
    The Wii has had a pretty terrible year, and there aren't a lot of decent first-party or high-profile games on the immediate horizon.
    People denying the existance of anything at all is ignorant, however, irrespective of any fandom.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I can dig stuff from Sales threads if you want, but I wouldn't really want to waste whole night to do it. :|

I wouldn't bother. You aren't the one posting comparisons with sample sizes of one.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    JCRooks wrote: »
    Totally agree. One of the biggest problems is that we're dealing with stuff that's so subjective..

Original question isn't really. We have pretty good picture how things currently are. Wii is doing better than before in USA and Europe, but it has fell of victim of handhelds in Japan, like every other homeconsole. That is how I would summarize it.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I really don't understand the need to place blame on an inanimate object like the Wii.

Let's analyze the arguments that come up over and over again:

1. Too much shovelware and not enough quality games.
    First off, it's easy for anyone without bias to compose a list of at least half a dozen quality games. To me, half a dozen is a pretty good number of memorable quality games to start with. Second, why blame the wii, or the company that makes the wii, for an apparent lack of games. Last I checked, it was game companies such as Capcom, Square Enix, etc. that made the games. Why don't you bug them for the apparent lack of quality games they are making?

2. Only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo systems.
    You only need to look at RE4 Wii to see a flaw in this argument. If the game is good and, more importantly, advertised well it will sell. Monster Hunter 3 is pretty much guaranteed to be a platinum seller, at least in japan, and guess what? It's not made by Nintendo.

As for the article, who cares if the wii bubble may have burst? I personally bought the wii for the same reason I bought the gamecube. It's the only place to play Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and the other games that more often than not turn out to be great memorable games. Nintendo makes a small profit on every system sold, and they make money from their games division. They don't have the same "take a loss on systems and make up for it in accessory sales and game sales to make up for it" setup that Sony and Microsoft have. So even if the bubble were to burst, and all 3rd parties gave up their support, they'd still be turning a profit and would still be able to continue making the games I love. So honestly, who cares about these doomsday proclamations.

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SploozooSploozoo Grillaface Richmond VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Besides Mario Kart, or maybe even Dr. Mario, there's nothing I'd be willing to sink a hundred hours into (Fallout, COD, Killzone) on the Wii.

I wouldn't put hundred hours into any videogame, especially none of you listed, but then again, I have life. :)

Is that because you aren't hardcore enough? I call it money well spent. And I have a fantastic life, thanks very much.

Sploozoo on
    Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Here I'll reference the article:
    “We are looking very closely at all the platforms for any signs of slowdown,” says Ed Barton, games analyst at Screen Digest. “We’ve made a number of channel-checks and had many conversations with platform manufacturers, and our research shows us that in North America the demand/supply ratio for the Wii has balanced out since the beginning of the year.”

This is the analyst firm that is STILL predicting the PS3 to be the TOP selling, highest install base system by the end of the generation.

edit: they're thinking that the PS3 will catch up to the Wii by 2011. And then exceed it.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The release schedule might be lackluster right now, but there are a lot of really good games for the Wii.

We may have already seen the best the system has to offer, but that doesn't diminish the quality of the library.

Also, Madworld and House of the Dead: Overkill are rays of sunshine.

Economically speaking, the Wii is a massive success and IMHO will continue to be. Even though its library leaves something to be desired (at least from third party pubs), the Wii has not only kept Nintendo afloat, it's shown them their greatest financial success...remember how the Gamecube's lukewarm success had many of us believing the Revolution might be the company's last system.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That article thrives on speculation. I don't see much to discuss from it, specifically.

Also, as its main evidence:
    Sale performance for the console is already in steep decline in Japan; falling at a greater rate than the average console during the dry post-Christmas period. More importantly, the system also is showing little sign of recovery as its competitors begin to pick up the pace.

The rest is just some analyst's comments.

The article is pretty much just there to generate controversy.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Article also references sales decline in Japan. And yet it's still the best selling console in japan. Home console that is. The article ignores the rise and popularity of handheld gaming in the region.

slash000 on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Here I'll reference the article:
    “We are looking very closely at all the platforms for any signs of slowdown,” says Ed Barton, games analyst at Screen Digest. “We’ve made a number of channel-checks and had many conversations with platform manufacturers, and our research shows us that in North America the demand/supply ratio for the Wii has balanced out since the beginning of the year.”

This is the analyst firm that is STILL predicting the PS3 to be the TOP selling, highest install base system by the end of the generation. And their reasoning is that people will start to throw out their old 360s and Wiis at some point in 2011, and therefor, the 360 and Wii install bases will actually go down. Meanwhile, the PS3 will see an inexplicable uptick in sales rates at around that time.

See. Much better. This is useful information.

The sources of this article are suspect. So, article has been discussed. There is no longer any need to tear into each other like angry children, and if you all continue to do so you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »
    *peeks into thread*

*back right out*

Sorry I just had to give you quick props on you Spathi avatar. Sploozo was a Mycon. High five.

Sploozoo on
    Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    That article thrives on speculation. I don't see much to discuss from it, specifically.

Similarly, and I've always found Edge rather suspect on this kind of thing anyway.
    They cling far too hard to their status as serious critics to actually embrace any change in their hobby that might better justify such an attitude to it.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Is that because you aren't hardcore enough?

I would say that I have lost lot of my spare time, and I have some very serious responsibilities.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sorry I just had to give you quick props on you Spathi avatar. Sploozo was a Mycon. High five.

But you didn't give the secret code. Huffi-Muffi-Guffi, wasn't it?

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wish more good games came out on the wii, on the 360, and on the PS3.

I can see varying strengths on all systems, and I can see games on all that would involve as much skill. Someone was saying "blah blah blah I can't see me putting over 100 hours into blah blah blah...". My advice for that dude: Know that not everything caters to you. I guarantee you that globally far more time has been put into Wii Sports than has been put into Fallout 3.

I agree that there hasn't been too many AAA wii titles recently, does that make it a bad system? NO. By any means it has a robust library capable of entertaining people for years, just maybe not you.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I own all 3 consoles and probably play my Wii the least. But I really don't think that the "Wii Bubble" has burst. Whatever the hell that means.

I think it's good that there aren't many releases on it right now, because I can't afford to own all the awesome games on all 3 consoles. So when one console lightens up, the other two are usually pumping out a bunch of them.

Right now the only company that shows some sort of knowledge of making games for the system, is Nintendo (with Capcom and SEGA stepping up to the plate really well, as is EA). If third parties continue to choke on a dick when making games then of course we're going to get shitty games.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »

I can see varying strengths on all systems, and I can see games on all that would involve as much skill. Someone was saying "blah blah blah I can't see me putting over 100 hours into blah blah blah...". My advice for that dude: Know that not everything caters to you. I guarantee you that globally far more time has been put into Wii Sports than has been put into Fallout 3.

I agree that there hasn't been too many AAA wii titles recently, does that make it a bad system? NO. By any means it has a robust library capable of entertaining people for years, just maybe not you.

I completely agree, and that's why I quite happily sold my Wii. I had some fun with it, and now it's gone. I can't wait for a Wii2 or whatever where they have better networking and HD graphics. I'll buy the shit outta that.

Sploozoo on
    Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »

I completely agree, and that's why I quite happily sold my Wii. I had some fun with it, and now it's gone. I can't wait for a Wii2 or whatever where they have better networking and HD graphics. I'll buy the shit outta that.

This coming from a man who is using Contra as his avatar? :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Had the Wii no games other than Mario Galaxy, it'd still be justified as a console, at least to me.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Had the Wii no games other than Mario Galaxy, it'd still be justified as a console, at least to me.

Just as long as you are aware this is a very extreme opinion you have and don't try to force it onto others which you have been close to doing in the past.
    That is fine.

(I bought a ps3 for tekken DR only, I ended up buying others because hey I had the system)

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    What if the Wii bubble had burst? If it had, wouldn't we be seeing fewer than 679,200 consoles sold in January in one region? Wouldn't we see fewer than 9 of the top 20 games sold in the month to not be Wii games? Wouldn't we expect games like The Force Unleashed to sell better on the PS3 than the Wii? Wouldn't new IPs like De Blob sell fewer than 700k? Wouldn't multiplatform games like Shaun White sell fewer than 537k while the 360/PS3 versions sell fewer than that combined?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That article describes the bubble burst as nothing more than supply catching up with demand.

That's an extremely weak position for any number of reasons, not the least of which is that shit maybe nintendo motherfuckin built more factories.

I mean shit man wouldn't you.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    This coming from a man who is using Contra as his avatar? :P

True, I've been a Nintendo fan my whole life and have owned every console (aside from virtual boy) they've ever made.

But for me, right now, even with the hundreds of dollars I spent downloading games I already have cartridges of sitting in a box in my closet, the Wii ain't cutting it.

But that's just me, and if you love your Wii please continue to do so.

Sploozoo on
    Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    What if the Wii bubble had burst? If it had, wouldn't we be seeing fewer than 679,200 consoles sold in January in one region? Wouldn't we see fewer than 9 of the top 20 games sold in the month to not be Wii games? Wouldn't we expect games like The Force Unleashed to sell better on the PS3 than the Wii? Wouldn't new IPs like De Blob sell fewer than 700k? Wouldn't multiplatform games like Shaun White sell fewer than 537k while the 360/PS3 versions sell fewer than that combined?

Thank you man. Thank you!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    That article describes the bubble burst as nothing more than supply catching up with demand.

That's an extremely weak position for any number of reasons, not the least of which is that shit maybe nintendo motherfuckin built more factories.

I mean shit man wouldn't you.

I wish I could link you to it, but someone explained how Nintendo building more factories would actually be a stupid move on their part and economics makes it cheaper for them (and us) to keep the factories they're already using.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Just as long as you are aware this is a very extreme opinion you have and don't try to force it onto others which you have been close to doing in the past.
    That is fine.
    Oh for crying out loud my phrasing should surely indicate such
    and who is forcing opinions here anyway? It's dangerously close to being you.

Xagarath on
This discussion has been closed.