As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

roommate "cleans" and possibly throws my stuff away

amelia_kateamelia_kate Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I live in campus housing with three roommates, we'll call them Beth, Cara, and Dana. I have been living with Beth and Cara for two years, Dana moved in to replace a roommate who moved out to live with her boyfriend (I'm great friends with her still)

I just came back over spring break, and found the following things:

1) A clean kitchen

2)A a set of recycling bins with labels

3) Shelves in the kitchen cupboards labeled in sharpie with what should go on the shelves

4) A large note telling me (and Amy and Beth) that we have assigned garbage days and dishwashing days, and we need to remove all of the stuff from the common area that is a "personal item"... signed, Dana.

I replied with a note of my own, saying I planned on opting out of the trash days since I don't contribute to the communal trash (I have a can in my room, since I got tired of being the only one to take out the trash, and I didn't want to feel guilty for contributing to the trash and refusing to take it out.) I have no personal items in the common area since I don't like hanging out in there, and I have no problem doing dishes, and I wrote that in the note.

The next day I came in and my entire name was blacked out in sharpie, even over the dishwashing bit. Dana is clearly mad at me.

I have been trying to get a chance to talk to her, but she's had friends over a lot lately and I don't want to be awkward and bring up problems when she is hanging out with her friends. The problem is, I'm not at the apartment that much, and so the other three girls are much more in touch with one another, and I'm sort of the odd one out.

Most of the stuff in the kitchen belongs to me (microwave, dishes, knives, toaster, cleaning supplies, pots and pans... the only thing that doesn't is the drinking glasses and a few odds and ends that my other roommates have. Dana has nothing in the kitchen.

Today I was cooking and realized a lot of my stuff is missing. My knife block, my kitchen scrubbers, Two boxes of Mr. Clean magic erasers, and a pan. I realize that doesn't seem like a lot, but I bought this stuff for myself and I planned on keeping most of my kitchen supplies for awhile, I didn't buy them to just be disposable or anything.

I don't know what to do! She's clearly mad at me, and writing a note did not help (Dana threw it away without responding, it was just a note saying I couldn't find the stuff)

Do I ask her if she stole it? Do I ignore it to preserve the peace? If she says she did throw it away, can I ask her to buy me some new ones? Should I move all of my stuff out of the kitchen, to avoid further disposal of things I own? I only have to live with her for another six weeks, then I'm moving out.

Quickly: Roommate possibly threw away some of my stuff when "cleaning"... how do I respond?

amelia_kate on

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you move all of your stuff out of the kitchen, you'll be acknowledging that your time as friendly roommates is probably over with. It might be already, however, so be prepared for a very tense rest of the semester living with these folks.

The best thing possible would be to sit down, chat about it and hopefully work everything out. This roommate sounds pretty OCD, so you should seriously just text her something like, "Let's have a roommate meeting tonight at 8" or something along those lines. Ask her if she knows where your stuff is, concede that you should have been more polite in your response to her attempt to organize (do this whether you believe it or not, you have to make a few concessions or you're not giving her any reason to bargain), and then discuss the future clean-up schedule.

If she refuses to talk to you, you could try calling in your RA to force discussion. Might or might not work, considering the roommates disposition.

All of this stuff happens pretty frequently in college. You get thrown together with people you either don't know at all or don't know as well as you thought you did. Look at it as a chance to improve your conflict resolution skills.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Don't distance yourself further. Even if you don't see them that often, you still live with them. Stop with the notes, just talk to her. Explain yourself to her like you just did here. If she says she threw your stuff out, ask her to replace it.

It sounds like some better communication could really help this situation.

PolloDiablo on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    First of all, don't ask if she stole it, ask if she's seen it. Same answer, much more amicable question.

Don't let the fight escalate, try and bring it to a peaceful conclusion. Accusations won't accomplish that. Maybe she just moved them. Even if she did hide them or something juvenile like that, she's just mad.

Tell her why you're mad and how having to take the trash out yourself all the time made you feel.

Try and work out, don't let it develop into a stupid fight over something stupid.
    You're friends!

Endomatic on
  • amelia_kateamelia_kate Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I still want to stick around and hear more stuff, but I'd like to clarify that I am not friends with Dana. I'm great friends with the girl who used to have her room.

amelia_kate on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That's ok. You do have to live with her, though. Might as well work things out before they escalate.

PolloDiablo on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yes, well, that does make things different, but only slightly. Pollo is right.

Endomatic on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Don't distance yourself further. Even if you don't see them that often, you still live with them. Stop with the notes, just talk to her. Explain yourself to her like you just did here. If she says she threw your stuff out, ask her to replace it.

Notes are incredibly passive aggressive and will only make it worse.

VisionOfClarity on
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Yeah. My last roommate communicated almost entirely in notes. It made me want to fucking strangle him. I mean, i can see leaving a note like "Hey your mom called" or "Ive gone away for the weekend", but anything serious, fuck notes.

Infact, i just want to see some guy last weekend about an apartment, and one of the questions he asked me was "Youre not one of those pricks who leaves notes around when you want me to do things or if youre mad or something, are you?". I had to laugh because that was going to be one of my questions for him.

So, seriously, fuck notes. If you have a problem, talk to the person like an adult.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    Notes are the worst. If you see her when shes hanging out with friends, tell her you need a few minutes of her time when she gets the chance. Try not to be overly to be confrontational about it, more of a "hey when you gotta a moment," kind of thing.

I'm the odd one out in my dorm, and I had to lay down rules about it. Fuck notes and text messages about room stuff, was a big one. Cleaning things I never use was another. Keeping things face to face is important, theres no guess work in tone or time to steam over little things. Unless shes a rampant bitch in confrontations, it will cut out the bullshit.

Iruka on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, she sounds like a typical type-A control freak. She's pissed off at you because you didn't respond to her decisions like a proper automaton. Notes are, in fact, ridiculously passive-aggressive. Making all those decisions while everyone else is gone is also ridiculously passive-aggressive. Talk to her, with the rest of the suite there. Be the bigger person. Be polite, be open, use lots of "I" language (yeah, it sounds stupid, but using the word "you" puts people on the defensive way more). If she's still being a passive-aggressive asshole, well, then you need to take all of your stuff out of the common area and basically withdraw from the suite.

Thanatos on
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Yeah, she sounds like a typical type-A control freak. She's pissed off at you because you didn't respond to her decisions like a proper automaton. Notes are, in fact, ridiculously passive-aggressive. Making all those decisions while everyone else is gone is also ridiculously passive-aggressive. Talk to her, with the rest of the suite there. Be the bigger person. Be polite, be open, use lots of "I" language (yeah, it sounds stupid, but using the word "you" puts people on the defensive way more). If she's still being a passive-aggressive asshole, well, then you need to take all of your stuff out of the common area and basically withdraw from the suite.

Yes, I've had flatmates like this. Bad position to be in.

Oddly the one I had the joy of spending a year with was also the messiest person in the flat. Weird girl. :|

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Dana is crazy, kill her before she kills you.

Alternatively, just say "What the hell, Dana? Making all these decisions on our behalf without even discussing it with us is ridiculous and insulting. If you want to do a task-sharing thing then talk to us about it. Sheesh!"

Szechuanosaurus on
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

that is why you take any notes like that and post them on the website, passiveaggressivenotes.com

pretty funny site.

just don't let your roomie know about it as that will be another conflict to deal with.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Bingo. Cut to the chase, and stop with the notes back and forth. It's a poor way to discuss or resolve things.

And if she keeps it up, you only have six more weeks to put up with her. And that's six weeks to think of some wonderful pranks for move-out day.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    if you have a lock on your door, it wouldnt be a bad thing to start moving the less used items you want to keep into it and locking it everyday. if you dont, maybe lend it to the previous roommate to hold for you until this has been resolved or you move out. dont take the microwave or something obvious, but stuff like those magic pens or whatever should probably be secured before you have the "meeting."

not so much to secure a fuck you im set attitude, but to avoid something messy and lots of things going missing at 4am.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dana is crazy, kill her before she kills you.

Alternatively, just say "What the hell, Dana? Making all these decisions on our behalf without even discussing it with us is ridiculous and insulting. If you want to do a task-sharing thing then talk to us about it. Sheesh!"

Sheesh!

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    To echo the others here: your not going to get anything resolved by not hashing out the situation in person with Dana, so start from there. Hopefully things will be resolved peacefully, and if they aren't then you genuinely tried.

@Willeth: Damn it! Quit making me laugh, your going to get me in trouble at work :P

brandotheninjamaster on
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Talk to her. She believes she is doing a good thing, and in a twisted way she is. The means by which she has enforced her good work is insulting and horrid.

Talk to her. Speak your mind and make sure to let her know that you 1) Support her effort to better the suite/house and 2) Would like to be kept in the loop with stuff like this.

Bad blood in any living situation is quickly not worth whatever moral/ethical stance one could take. Give it a pro-active shot as resolution. Make sure you let her know that you appreciate and support her end, but have a problem with her means.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    no more notes. I lived with 6 other ladies when I dormed. All they did was leave goddamn notes, and nothing got accomplished. I would always try to confront them face to face, but they were so fucking stubborn that I said 'fuck this' and moved out.

It got to the point where one fo the girls killed a cockroach on the counter and left it there for 3 days until someone LEFT A NOTE saying "clean this up it's been 3 days" with an arrow pointing to the bug. I never used the kitchen, or the common room, cause I was always either in my room working, or somewhere else. so i didn't notice the bug, but obviously someone else did for 3 days, and didn't 'help out' and clean it up.
    That was the last straw.

please talk to these people, dana will surely make your life a living hell if you don't confront her face to face. I say this with experience.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    no more notes. I lived with 6 other ladies when I dormed. All they did was leave goddamn notes, and nothing got accomplished. I would always try to confront them face to face, but they were so fucking stubborn that I said 'fuck this' and moved out.

It got to the point where one fo the girls killed a cockroach on the counter and left it there for 3 days until someone LEFT A NOTE saying "clean this up it's been 3 days" with an arrow pointing to the bug. I never used the kitchen, or the common room, cause I was always either in my room working, or somewhere else. so i didn't notice the bug, but obviously someone else did for 3 days, and didn't 'help out' and clean it up.
    That was the last straw.

please talk to these people, dana will surely make your life a living hell if you don't confront her face to face. I say this with experience.

please told me you took a picture of that note with the dead bug next to it. Its GOLD Jerry!

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I wish I had. It was the most absurd thing I've ever seen.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • amelia_kateamelia_kate Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Okay, So I tried to talk to her, and she flipped out on me.

I said "Hi Dana, do you have time to talk for a minute? The kitchen looks really nice, and way organized! But I can't find some things, could you tell me where you put the scrubber, knife block, cutting boards, and pan?"

and she just sort of turned around with this like crazy-eyed look.

Perhaps asking someone about roommate issues is a bad idea when the said roommate is unloading the dishwasher, but she started waving a knife (that she was putting away, in a drawer) all around and telling me that her boyfriend just broke up with her, and how dare I not take out the trash, and that I am lucky she didn't throw everything I own in the trash because apparently I missed a note for a "apartment cooperative cleaning of the kitchen" (which I guess she posted over spring break? when I was gone, back home?)

And I explained to her that I am not the one who messes everything up, and that I take out my own trash and don't contribute, and she said she'd buy me a new knife block but that she has it on good authority that my other roommate (Cara) took the other missing stuff and is using it in her boyfriend's apartment (three doors down). Dana is much more mentally unstable than I expected, and I am still considering moving my stuff out of the kitchen since apparently me missing a note made her want to "Break every single one of [my] dishes"

Should I wait until she replaces my things and then remove the majority of my belongings (other than big things like the microwave) from the kitchen? I have a room that locks, and after seeing her wave that huge knife around I am totally locking it when I sleep now!

amelia_kate on
    edited March 2009
    Geesh. Maybe you can talk to your other roommate? If you 2 were united together you would have a better chance of rising against the crazy person and her mystery notes.

brandotheninjamaster on
    edited March 2009
    You live in campus housing?

Go down to Residential Life and speak to your building manager or whoever else will speak to you. At the least they'll provide a no-pressure moderated meeting to work this stuff out and you'll be able to launch a formal complaint. At best they will be able to broker a peace.

I worked in Res Life for awhile. Use them, this is their purpose.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    I bet what happen everything looked like shit for months on end and she snapped.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, you need to go to your RA and tell them she brandished a knife at you. That is not okay, I don't really give a shit what happened to her previous to that.

Thanatos on
    edited March 2009
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    I bet what happen everything looked like shit for months on end and she snapped.

Or maybe she has a desperate need to control everything in her life and since her relationship just went by the wayside she needs to exert as much control over her living conditions as humanly possible.

brandotheninjamaster on
    edited March 2009
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    It doesn't sound like she's lived there for "months" if you'd actually read the OP. And why the hell would that make it okay?

Thanatos on
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, you need to go to your RA and tell them she brandished a knife at you. That is not okay, I don't really give a shit what happened to her previous to that.

Brandishing is a little strong. The OP said that it was the knife she was already in the process of putting away. But I'll agree that this behavior should not go unchecked.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I was an RA for three years and every day for those three years I thanked God I only had men on my floor. All the drama, fights, police calls, came from the girls wings. Women living (and working) together will always equal drama and passive-aggressive fights. For the sex that is supposedly all about communicating feelings, they're terrible at it.

If you do have an RA you should report this to her, if only to get it down on paper. Any further problems that result from crazy can go in the file. Futhermore, if you go to your RA he or she can facilitate future discussions. You MUST remain calm and not interrupt anyone, including the crazy lady, when talking or giving your side of the story. Nine times out of ten the RA has got much better shit to be doing than settling your petty disputes, so don't talk over them or become overly emotional because then you'll look like a cause of the problems.

John Matrix on
    edited March 2009
    Nine times out of ten the RA has got much better shit to be doing than settling your petty disputes, so don't talk over them or become overly emotional because then you'll look like a cause of the problems.

That's a terrible way of approaching the situation. In fact, I'd say that settling petty disputes is 95% of any RA's job. Know why? Because those petty disputes are what lead to bigger and more dangerous situations.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
    edited March 2009

This right the fuck now, especially combined with the threats and her controlling attitude. RAs definitely care about "petty disputes" - they care even more when people are emotionally/mentally distressed and waving fucking knives around at their roommates.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Should I wait until she replaces my things and then remove the majority of my belongings (other than big things like the microwave) from the kitchen?

Sounds like a good idea. Personally, I wouldn't wait until she replaces your things, if she does at all.

And you should definitely talk to an RA about this post-haste, today if possible - yes, up to a point you should try to talk it out and work things out on your own, but it sounds like this is quickly escalating beyond that.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    RA's are full-time students too. It's not an appoach to managing your floor, it's a fact.

Any good RA talks with their residents regularly about the living situation and settles these disagreements before they need to be called to deal with the situation. After three years I never had someone move out, fight, threaten, or steal because of an argument with a roomate.

Then again I was guys and it didn't take much to get them to see the logical solution. Also, there wasn't a community kitchen were people left valuables or food. Thank goodness freaking post-it notes weren't involved.

John Matrix on
  • IogaIoga Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    From a former RA's point of view:

Go talk to your RA.

Definitely schedule a resolution as soon as possible - if the RA is worth a damn s/he will point out that the space is shared, and that dictating rules without the consent of other roommates, especially though notes, is not cool. It will be made clear that relationship troubles, while understandable (especially the guy leaving part ;) ), are not grounds to threaten to destroy another roommate's property.

If you come to any agreement on the administration of the kitchen and what belongs to whom and what chores will be done when and how get it in writing, and have both of you sign - the "I don't remember saying that" argument does not work when it's in writing and signed.

Other than that, good luck and godspeed. Some bitches be crazy.
    Then again I was guys and it didn't take much to get them to see the logical solution. Also, there wasn't a community kitchen were people left valuables or food. Thank goodness freaking post-it notes weren't involved.

Yeah...girls are a little bit...different. The conflicts involved are usually much more emotional in nature, even if they start out not. One girl not cleaning out the sink quickly becomes a tear-fest because the other girl thinks she does it on purpose because she has a boyfriend and the other girl doesn't, bla bla bla.
    Nine times out of ten the RA has got much better shit to be doing than settling your petty disputes, so don't talk over them or become overly emotional because then you'll look like a cause of the problems.

Well that may be true, but that's true for most of the shit a RA does. Bulletin boards, programming, rounds, all that crap.

Ioga on
    edited March 2009
    she started waving a knife (that she was putting away, in a drawer) all around and telling me that her boyfriend just broke up with her

Maybe I'm taking this the wrong way, but it doesn't seem like this person was "pulling a knife on the OP." The way I envisioned it was that the roommate being irritated was talking with hand gestures and not threating the OP with a knife.

Although Dana as kinda nuts for flying off the handle about this, I think going to the RA and saying that her roommate is pulled a knife on her would only escalate the situation since that very well maybe an exaggeration. But I think going to RA and telling him/her of the situation would be a good idea to hopefully get this resolved in a civil manner.

brandotheninjamaster on
    edited March 2009
    she started waving a knife (that she was putting away, in a drawer) all around and telling me that her boyfriend just broke up with her

Maybe I'm taking this the wrong way, but it doesn't seem like this person was "pulling a knife on the OP." The way I envisioned it was that the roommate being irritated was talking with hand gestures and not threating the OP with a knife.

Although Dana as kinda nuts for flying off the handle about this, I think going to the RA and saying that her roommate is pulled a knife on her would only escalate the situation since that very well maybe an exaggeration. But I think going to RA and telling him/her of the situation would be a good idea to hopefully get this resolved in a civil manner.

I might be pretty scatterbrained myself but even I know not to hand-talk with a knife. Especially not in the context of "I'm, like, so totally pissed off at my boyfriend and the world and my mom and I'm going to cut myself/others/destroy your property because of it."

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited March 2009

I might be pretty scatterbrained myself but even I know not to hand-talk with a knife. Especially not in the context of "I'm, like, so totally pissed off at my boyfriend and the world and my mom and I'm going to cut myself/others/destroy your property because of it."

yea, good point.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

This is true, but going to the RA and saying "OMG she pulled a knife on me" is disingenuous.

Also, leaving notes is the worst shit ever. Even an e-mail to roommates is better than a note.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • IogaIoga Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Well Dana seems to have issues with normal concepts like not being a dictator over areas of your living space or not throwing away someone else's things on an angry whim. It wouldn't surprise me if she didn't understand she was brandishing a knife :P

Ioga on