As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Higher Technology

13»

• Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well its not worse than MS Paint Adventures....

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Holy shit that was hilarious.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    the_Willardthe_Willard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    hahahaha, so just HOW high do you get before coming up with those?

anyways, here's what little sketching i did at work. it's uhhh, well it's not very good. maybe i've been out of practice for too long. anyway, here it is:
    img0172wum.jpg

and i did find one i drew a few years ago. here it is as well as the reference i used for comparison:
    img0169j.jpg

and yes, i am already aware that they eye is up too high, the jawline is too rounded, and the ear is the wrong shape. but yeah, that's me sketching the old fashioned way with pencil and paper.

the_Willard on
    The Neverhood is what TRULY started my gaming addiction, therefore respect is due.
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, this thread delivers.

Willard, your IP has moved onto greener pastures I'm afraid... :winky:

Grenn on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    oh s_o
    can your next ms paint adventure be about two guys who love to play video games?

beavotron on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    just did a little paintover of your skethc. I think if you bring everything a little more closer, it will look better. And try to get used to spotting subtle details. in the reference pic, he looks really focussed, almost angry, but in your pic, hes smiling :)
    I just moved all your bits tighter together, and painted a few more higher contrasts.
    though, my paintover doesnt really look like the reference, i think just being a little more aware of structure and adding more contrasts really help the likeness.
    e5lnrc.jpg

Also, your pic reminded me of the auto pilot on the film 'flying High', or as it was called in the U.S.A, 'Airplane'

23vkrh0.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    S_OS_O Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    hahahaha, so just HOW high do you get before coming up with those?

You figured me out bro, I toke for broke!

sweetbroandhellajeff3.jpg

S_O on
  • Options
    bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hella Jeff looks like some stupid guy I know that lives in Vancouver.

bebarce on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You better watch it, making fun of our fatass mods will get you infracted.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    FabricateFabricate __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    i appreciate it more like a nightmare i'm glad is over. it's just...disturbing, hahah. (and yes i get that he's mocking my comic...not that there's any material like that in mine)

so i'm studying t i m's tutorial and now i have a photoshop question. how do you guys do shadowing and highlights? i've been using the dodge/burn tool for it, but in t i m's thing at least it looks more like he copies the color with the eyedropper and then darkens it before applying. is one way better than the other, is it a matter of preference or was i just doing it wrong altogether?

Dodge/burn tools are awful and look awful. It's like pooping all over the computer.

The more likely thing he was doing was having the brush opacity set to pen pressure and using a darker and/or lighter color over the base.

there are several ways to go about it, but what you'll probably find easiest is to make a new layer in photoshop and set it to multiply. everything on that layer will darken the colors on the ones below it.

do not use black though, use a dark blue or a violet.

For highlights I dont remember, maybe overlay, I havent done it this way in a while.

Also, S_O I love you

Fabricate on
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh dear lord. S_O, thank you. I laughed so hard at that first comic it brought tears to my eyes. :^:

Kris on
  • Options
    bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    hahaha, the best part I just realized is that in the 3rd panel of the stairs comic you can still see the end of the word "pants" as it was copied directly from the first comic.

Shit S_O you're work's like a fucking onion.

bebarce on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You mean it stinks and makes you cry?

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    lol d-robe, and lol s_o. lol everybody.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    just did a little paintover of your skethc. I think if you bring everything a little more closer, it will look better. And try to get used to spotting subtle details. in the reference pic, he looks really focussed, almost angry, but in your pic, hes smiling :)
    I just moved all your bits tighter together, and painted a few more higher contrasts.
    though, my paintover doesnt really look like the reference, i think just being a little more aware of structure and adding more contrasts really help the likeness.

you know, doing a paintover on that pic's not a bad idea, i can fix the little things that have been bugging me. also, what pic reminds you of the autopilot?
    Fabricate wrote: »
    i appreciate it more like a nightmare i'm glad is over. it's just...disturbing, hahah. (and yes i get that he's mocking my comic...not that there's any material like that in mine)

so i'm studying t i m's tutorial and now i have a photoshop question. how do you guys do shadowing and highlights? i've been using the dodge/burn tool for it, but in t i m's thing at least it looks more like he copies the color with the eyedropper and then darkens it before applying. is one way better than the other, is it a matter of preference or was i just doing it wrong altogether?

Dodge/burn tools are awful and look awful. It's like pooping all over the computer.

The more likely thing he was doing was having the brush opacity set to pen pressure and using a darker and/or lighter color over the base.

there are several ways to go about it, but what you'll probably find easiest is to make a new layer in photoshop and set it to multiply. everything on that layer will darken the colors on the ones below it.

do not use black though, use a dark blue or a violet.

For highlights I dont remember, maybe overlay, I havent done it this way in a while.

Also, S_O I love you

ahhhh, i was wondering what that thing pointing out "multiply" on one of the layers was, i had no idea what it did and as such, what he was trying to show me. and thanks for the image of my computer covered in poop btw, hahaha.

and only 2 panels on that last one S_O? come on, don't start slackin now, you'll disappoint us, your fans.

the_Willard on
    The Neverhood is what TRULY started my gaming addiction, therefore respect is due.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I come bearing a gift, but we'll get to that in a minute.

I never came in here with the intention of "learning to draw the easy way" or any other douchy cries for attention/validation/praise. What i did come here for was some help from the source. i know i can't draw, i never claimed otherwise, but as i have said, i'm all we've got. I got my friends started reading Penny Arcade (rhombus has become synonymous with bitch and acts as the basis for an endless stream of jokes and shit-talking) and sometime after that we started thinking of some of the funnier shit that we come up with/happens to us in comic form. You know "hey, that would be hilarious if it was a comic where...and in the next panel..." you get the idea. However, none of us can draw, i am, quite literally, the best we've got.
    And since it was Penny Arcade that started the shenanigans, i thought it would be the best place to seek out some help.

Let's look at the guitar analogy again. Say my friend's band needs to practice but their guitarist is sick, they've heard i can kind of play the song they need to practice and ask me to stand in. So if i decide that first i'm going to ask some actual guitarists for help with that one song, and only that one song that i can kind of play, i don't see how that's an excuse to morph into a complete douchetool (yes, that's my favorite product of my talent for creating new insults via amalgamation) and emit an endless stream of "fuck off, fuck off, fuck off..." until i give up. Not that i'm pointing fingers...this is the internet, i type names: Metalbourne. And while we're on the topic, i know imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but stop trying to combine words into new insults...just...stop. See douchetool works because you are a douche and a tool, vagbooger works because having a booger in your vag would be disgusting and annoying, and assnugget...well that's just a turd. See how that works? But bitchburgler? Cockdoubler? How does one burgle bitches? You're just throwing random words together and it pales in comparison.

And anyone that is taking the stance of me being unreasonable, or responding poorly to criticism, go back and read through the thread. The only time i started slinging shit back at Metal was when he issued a personal attack. A comment that had nothing to do with anything other than insulting me and calling me "a lazy fuck." Yes, i'm SO lazy. So incredibly lazy because i moved across the country and am building a successful career as a game designer and don't want to switch gears completely and become a graphic designer so that i can better entertain my friends and other random people that happen by occassionally and get a giggle at our jokes.

My friends and i come up with so many comics that never make it to completion because i become so frustrated with my inability to draw and fighting with photoshop that i just don't finish them out of disgust. Where would Penny Arcade be if Tycho (Jerry) didn't have Gabe (Mike)? It never would have happened because either A) Jerry's inability to draw would have gotten it completely ignored or B) Jerry's inability to draw prevents him from even trying. (not that i'm claiming to be as funny as PA) I thought, at the time, that it would be a good idea to get some help from experienced people that i can actually interact with (books don't answer specific questions well very often) so i could at least stop yelling "fuck you wanglicker!" at photoshop while i'm trying to draw with what little artistic ability i have. yes, it is amateurish; i am an amateur who only ever took a single art class in high school. I would like to become a better artist so that can live up to my part of our little endeavor, but i'm not looking to dedicate my life to it.

And to S_O: what the hell man? I was so disappointed to have returned here after such a long absence and find nothing new from the world of Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff. Yes, i do get it, by the way, you're mocking me, i just don't care. My jokingly asking how high you get when you write this stuff was commentary on the type of random "wtf!?" Adult Swim style humor your mockery has. Adult Swim, of course, the type of programming that generally caters to those stoned off their ass. I like how you mocked my question in the comic that followed by capitalizing random words, very clever...really. But it was pretty damn funny in it's randomness and i'm serious when i state my disappointment at it's apparent conclusion.

So yes, I am sorry. I'm sorry that i entered and asked for help without realizing this place is for professional and aspiring to be professional artists only. I'm sorry if i didn't explain my position early or clearly enough to avoid some of this douchestorm, even if that meant everyone just ignored me or i was booted. I'm even sorry i felt the need to defend myself when comments went from criticism of my drawing to an attack on me personally, i know better. I know a fuckstick (that would be a cock, dick, wiener, prick, etc.) who likes to make himself feel superior on an internet forum because he knows that forum is the only place where he will ever matter enough to get away with such antics and i know better than to play into their ego-stroking, but i faltered. So i am, in fact, sorry.

So i present to you a gift. My latest comic that i actually finished to mock and poke fun, or giggle at, whichever grants you the most satisfaction. It took me much longer to finish than i would have liked (even though i started trying out a "sketchy" style that actually works with my lack of artistic ability and lets me draw everything out faster than my others) and so the joke is not at the height of relevance i would have preferred. Why did it take me so long if it still looks like butt? Apparently you haven't been reading the thread...
    The Prestige Edition comes with what!?

quarantine1.jpg

quarantine2s.jpg

quarantine3.jpg

the_Willard on
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I now realize that those goggle devices are plugged into the people's heads, but that one guy in the last panel still looks to me like he's wearing a tomato cap. Which is awesome, tomato caps should be a real thing.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This comic would be about 100 times better if it was just the last panel.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    holy footgrobbling nintendoscrobbledoos
    someone light the S_O beacon stat

i get what you're saying with the guitar analogy i guess
    but you really lost me where you started chastising people for making up insults.

beavotron on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    too many words, not enough art.

tynic on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The AC wouldn't be the AC if people like him didn't come around to tell us how horrible we are. We are horrible. We are the AC.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It tickles me pink that I pissed someone off so bad that they feel the need to bring it up eight months later.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The best part is still Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff. The guys so hella sweet that reality itself came apart.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Chill the fuck out dude.

People here tried to help you (Beavotron, Metal)

You told them in so many words that you aren't interested in learning to draw, you're just doing this for some friends. Which essentially turns your thread into a showcase thread, which we kind of frown on.
    my comic is for the jokes, (mostly in-jokes with my friends, although if you know the games i'm talking about in the episode, you'd prob find it funny too) not the art.

Sorry, but that makes it a bad comic. You have to understand that the expressiveness of the image is what sells the joke. The best example I can think of is Calvin and Hobbes.

Did you ever read it? If you did, try and recount the number of times in your head that you laughed at only the pictures. I know I can think of a lot of times personally.

If you didn't read it, then do so. Actually, pick up the tenth anniversary book, because as far as I'm concerned it is filled with sage advice, useful insights, and a window into the mind of one of the better cartoonists to ever pick up a pencil.

The only reason anybody has insulted you is because you're being kind of an idiot. If you want to improve your drawing, learn some of the basics. You don't have to spend decades mastering the figure, composition, lighting, color theory, etc.

Just sit down, and get over yourself, and draw.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That guy in the holla hoodie looks like some stupid boyfriend I have in Vancouver.

Also, that's a huge improvement from the first time you posted that.

Here are some things I think you could benefit from:

- Perspective. One point on the horizon is all you need to convey a "distance" - it's super easy to learn and it'll help you a lot for every aspect of a comic.

- Cleaning up your lines! I know it can be a cool style to have 'em all shaggy and such, but it does nothing for your piece when you run out of room for pupils and end up just making them smaller so they'll fit.

- Don't use Comic Sans. It is the #1 rule of comics - there are plenty of free font packs out there with really cool comic fonts that will probably feel a little more natural.

mully on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I can't seem to find the rest of your comics anywhere. Do you have an imageshack account you have them archived on or...

Fugitive on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And to S_O: what the hell man? I was so disappointed to have returned here after such a long absence and find nothing new from the world of Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff

Check again bro!
    004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

He's even featured various quotes and references to SweetBro and HellaJeff in his newest adventure "Homestuck"
    (Click Abscond to begin)http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002771
    http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002565

There's also a wiki
    http://sbhj.wikia.com/wiki/Sweet_Bro_and_Hella_Jeff_Wiki

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    oh s_o
    can your next ms paint adventure be about two guys who love to play video games?

This.. is actually kind of what happened!

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    mully wrote: »
    - Don't use Comic Sans. It is the #1 rule of comics - there are plenty of free font packs out there with really cool comic fonts that will probably feel a little more natural.

blambot is a good place to start

and i suggest hitting the questions/tutorials sticky and grabbing the loomis books. they are pretty handy for basic layout stuff (such as perspective as mully noted above).

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    never change AC <3

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I did not know that S_O was Andrew. This thread is informative.

What I like most about the recent post is the rant about combining expletives. I'll be waffledamned if I can agree though.

So if the duder is still around:
    I'm sorry that i entered and asked for help without realizing this place is for professional and aspiring to be professional artists only.
    No. Most people on here aren't professionals. You don't have to be a paid professional to be good at art. You're overreacting. Look at Beavo's new thread about artists/criticism (which contradicts all the bullshit Metal was posting, but is still the philosophy of the forum).

As Mully said, work on perspective, clean up your lines, work on anatomy, don't use comic sans. These are things you should do if you care about your comic looking good. If you don't care about making your comic worth our time to look at, then don't expect us to care about your comic.

That's just generally how life works. It's like giving me a story filled with grammatical failures, poor sentence structure, and a terrible plot. Sure, I can tell you how to make it better, but if your intent isn't to be a great writer, then why the hell are you giving it to me to read? I'm not your friend, I don't know you, if my advice isn't going to be taken seriously, then don't ask for it. Your friends are there to pat you on the back and enjoy your novice work. The outside world is far less sympathetic. This is what it is to live amongst other humans. Learn to deal with it. You can't complain when people tell you that you're doing a bad job and you need to learn how to do better.

Wait, I'm sorry, you CAN complain. Keep doing that. It's helpful and everyone cares.

[pre-emptive edit] Oh wait, people already said these exact same things on page 2 and you just didn't get it. Wonderful.

Granted, Metal is a complete tool, but he DOES say true things that other people say like normal people...he just says them like a rabid dog jacked up on straight horse dick. It's totally inappropriate nonetheless, and I'm pretty sure it's happened less since last March.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    SomeGuyNamedDavidSomeGuyNamedDavid Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    God damn Andrew how are you so awesome.

SomeGuyNamedDavid on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Last post in this thread was almost 2 years ago.

You really had to bring it back from the grave just to say that?

DeeLock on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    To someone who hasn't posted here in probably close to 3 years

Fugitive on
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also, OP, draw more from life!

Do it.. do it two years ago.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is like a present, though, because I was trying to find this thread to show someone and I could not.

lyrium on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Has this thread been archived?

DMAC on
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Druhim has been rescued by Sir Red of the Manti.

This discussion has been closed.