As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 3-18-09: um....Mahnke on GL is pretty great...

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Graphic Violence
Kind of a light week, nothing eye catching or "wow"

The first issue of Azrael ties into Morrison's Batman run, and was pretty good, coming from someone who has never read an Azrael issue.

Um.... I guess MOTW was Outsiders #16, where the team sets up how they're going to roll, and Metamorpho describes the team in relation to Batman. The big baddie also has a somewhat stupid premise, but for some reason it works. Scans below:
016a.jpg

016b.jpg

016c.jpg

016d.jpg

edit: fixed it right away, duh

TexiKen on

• VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You fail Posting Spoilers 101. The top tag is broken with an unnecessary /

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ...If they're going to have that, why didn't they just have Plastic Man on the team instead of Rex?

Fencingsax on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Alright I laughed pretty hard at that last panel from Outsiders there. :lol:

I might need to start reading it again.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • PaperFootballPaperFootball Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You can tell how great Old Man Logan is by how mad I am at how short the issues seem

PaperFootball on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »

Haven't fixed the double posted page yet though :D

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Virral wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »

Haven't fixed the double posted page yet though :D

Fixed, gaw

At least I brought pages for everyone to rejoice with.
    You just sit on your biscuit, never having to risk it, with your cushy nerf ball life.
    ....I was watching the Office last night, so what.

On a serious note, Scans_Daily today has instituted a no PAD rule, somewhat at his request but also to not get in trouble in the future.

Also, someone at the Gun Show did some Watchment cartoons that are pretty funny, with Rorschach being a kid:
    gunshow-20090312.png

TexiKen on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The art in Old Man Logan is my MotW. Damn McNiven outdid himself with this one.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    old man logan was very interesting. i was sick of waiting for it too, and just asking the guy in my shop about it last week.
    emma marrying doom was neat. also hawkeye is the new star of john woo's "bullet in the head"!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    X-Force was pretty badass this week.
    And I guess there goes Boom Boom.

kfrooster on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    kfrooster wrote: »
    Would you say Boom-Boom goes the dynamite?

TexiKen on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Servo wrote: »
    old man logan was very interesting. i was sick of waiting for it too, and just asking the guy in my shop about it last week.
    emma marrying doom was neat. also hawkeye is the new star of john woo's "bullet in the head"!
    She married Doom? I took it to mean she married Black Bolt.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    What a horrendously awful future Old Man Logan is in.
    Skull murdered all the heroes?
    God. I hate alternate futures, all the worst shit that can happen to your heroes happens.

DarkWarrior on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    kfrooster wrote: »

I just read the wiki summary. How terribly retarded. I already hated Yost and Kyle for slaughtering most of the characters in New X-Men and stealing Wolfsbane from X-Factor. Offing a character that had been so recently rehabilitated and made cool just comes off as amazingly wasteful and, well, dumb.

Munch on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The end of Old Man Logan is going to be a close-up shot of Eminem telling you how tight your asshole is.

Edit:

I figure Boom Boom can be protected forever by Next Wave. Enough weird shit happened in that that in some form or another you can resurrect her whenever you feel like it. Still though, I hate it when shitty little deaths happen in comics. It adds to a story no one's reading, it feels out of place since no one ever dies, it's dumb. You can have them take sabbaticals, dudes.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Re: Wolverine
    I didn't get the Emma marrying Doom thing at all, but in hind sight it makes a little sense. I just took it as he was watching them. I liked that Emma still makes it appear she's young, pretty in character. I wish they would have shown some of the other heroes that still survived, along with Emma and Blackbolt, though. Piqued my curiosity.

Edit: Oh yeah. And I loved Osborn's pep talk to Bob in Dark Avengers. That was pretty sheisty. The way he was talking to him, not sure if that dispels the whole theory on
    the Void helping Osborn, rather than the Sentry.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So are you advocating that no one ever die in comics, seeing as they will come back in one way or another?

I haven't read the issue, so for all I know it really is meaningless and all, but shouldn't we give the writers a chance and see if they follow through with the death and what it means to the others that are still alive?

noir_blood on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »
    So are you advocating that no one ever die in comics, seeing as they will come back in one way or another?

I haven't read the issue, so for all I know it really is meaningless and all, but shouldn't we give the writers a chance and see if they follow through with the death and what it means to the others that are still alive?
    Kyle and Yost tend to be butchers, though, and there are plenty of characters they could have used to similar affect. It's not like Boom Boom's even been in the story at this point. They could have just offed another no-namer like the Whispering Child or whoever was first. Or they could have just had the Leper Queen die and leave Tabby alive. It seemed awful pointless, and just served to make Scott to loook even more like a gigantic tool.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i don't know it would have been pretty dumb if a bunch of religious nut killers attacked the x-mansion and no one died

Sars_Boy on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    There are no writers I hate more than Kyle and Yost.

I am absolutely terrified of what is going to happen to Runaways. Bye bye Karolina, probably.
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    i don't know it would have been pretty dumb if a bunch of religious nut killers attacked the x-mansion and no one died

It was basically an excuse to kill off the characters that fans liked but they didn't want to write about.

deadonthestreet on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Look, it's pretty dumb that the streets of Marvel New York aren't running red with blood 24/7. I can accept it. It annoys me is when a character, maybe B or C-list but still decent, is just offed.

"Oh no Monica Rambeau can't be in XYZ, the Ultimatoritax bit her head off in that one arc of a comic read by 20,000 people"

I mean, you can have it open up new stories, like Cap's death did. But usually it doesn't, it just shuts down old ones.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's not just that it was pointless, or that they pulled in a character people actually like for all of 5 pages for this cheap throw away, even within the context fo the story it's stupid.
    There's no version of time travel that work like that. Once you know where you're going, there's no rush to actually leave here. If I'm going to the year 3000, it doesn't matter if I go now or if I go tomorrow morning, I'm still going to the same destination.

I loved the hell out of post-House of M New X-men, but this was annoying.

werehippy on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ultimatum is amazing.

It's like every bad decision that could be made is being made, and wrapped up in a big bag of terrible writing and horrid art.

It's TLB's dream project.

Bloods End on
    edited March 2009
    There are no writers I hate more than Kyle and Yost.

I am absolutely terrified of what is going to happen to Runaways. Bye bye Karolina, probably.

It was basically an excuse to kill off the characters that fans liked but they didn't want to write about.
    or it could have been that they were telling a decent story with it

i loved New X-Men

Sars_Boy on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    that was just low Blood's End

(my dream project is a Herbie/Stardust the Super Wizard/Haunted Tank team-up ongoing)

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited March 2009
    werehippy wrote: »
    It's not just that it was pointless, or that they pulled in a character people actually like for all of 5 pages for this cheap throw away, even within the context fo the story it's stupid.
    There's no version of time travel that work like that. Once you know where you're going, there's no rush to actually leave here. If I'm going to the year 3000, it doesn't matter if I go now or if I go tomorrow morning, I'm still going to the same destination.

no one gave a fuck about Tabitha before or after Nextwave and Nextwave is over forever so i didn't really care at all

Sars_Boy on
    edited March 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Ultimatum is amazing.

It's like every bad decision that could be made is being made, and wrapped up in a big bag of terrible writing and horrid art.

It's TLB's dream project.

It really is laughably terrible. I'm debating on whether or not to keep getting it just to see what outrageous thing Loeb does next
    What was Hank Pyms death for? He just took a whole bunch of Madrox dupes on to himself to die? What? Thats not even touching on the biting off of blobs head or any other amount of absurd things that happened in it.

Drakeon on
    edited March 2009
    sars you shut your mouth

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited March 2009
    why is it because the truth hurts

Sars_Boy on
    edited March 2009
    no because shut up

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Can you spoil Ultimatum for me please? I"m completely unwilling to even point money in Loeb's direction.

mattharvest on
  • stratslingerstratslinger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You know, as soon as I saw that last panel in X-Force, I thought
    Scott is going to have a VERY unpleasant reunion with Logan once X-Force returns from the future.

I really look forward to that.

Also, now when the hell will we actually get around to the end of Old Man Logan? I'm really digging the story, but the fact that every issue (well, to be honest, every issue after the 3rd or 4th) seems to end with a cliffhanger followed by 2-3 months waiting for its resolution is starting to wear thin...

stratslinger on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Can you spoil Ultimatum for me please? I"m completely unwilling to even point money in Loeb's direction.

IGN has a decent write up on how bad it is

http://comics.ign.com/articles/963/963850p1.html

Bloods End on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    no one gave a fuck about Tabitha before or after Nextwave and Nextwave is over forever so i didn't really care at all

She actually appeared in a story with Beast that was pretty awesome. The character had basically just been rebuilt from the ground up, so killing her now is just annoying as fuck. It's like killing Machine Man just after he's had a resurgence in popularity. Sure you can say, "Oh well no-one cared about him before or after Nextwave, and Nextwave's never coming back, so why not kill him?" Maybe because he's actually an interesting character now?

Munch on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »

IGN has a decent write up on how bad it is

http://comics.ign.com/articles/963/963850p1.html

Now theres a tag line for them, Ultimatum: A comic so terrible not even IGN could like it.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    It's comforting to know that someone else hates Ultimatum just as much as I do (well, and reviewed it for more to see).

I still don't know why Marvel thought letting Jeph Loeb handle this event to reboot the Ultimate universe was the best idea.

Also unrelated note: Anyone else notice the push Deadpool has been getting lately? I can only assume this means that they plan for Ryan Reynolds to be received well in the upcoming Wolverine Origins and spin off a Deadpool movie of him. I mean, I've been a fan of his since the start of Joe Kellys run, and he's never received this kind of attention before.

Drakeon on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Hooooooly shit. Have you guys seen the promo cover for Wolverine 72?

No pic, just description
    Captain America with his skull made to look like the Red Skull. Looks like hes alive. Could just be the red skull in that outfit but he looks insane/in pain to me.

DarkWarrior on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    werehippy wrote: »

My moment of the week is finally buying the Nextwave trades, so now I'm sad. :(

JoeUser on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't really have a moment of the week.

Re: Boom Boom.
    It seemed like a pointless way for the story to seem tough and grim, which I understand is sort of the point of X-force, but ... like Werehippy said, they're about to TIME TRAVEL. What difference does it make if they jump into the future now, or 10 minutes after freeing the hostage/their former teammate? Why would Scott spontaneously become stupid? Handle hostage #1, send team to future, let them prance around with Bishop and Cable, send them back to the moment after they left, and tell them to head to the UN building to handle hostages #2 and #3 to prevent the explosion. If they come back two issues from now and then undo her death, I will not be impressed.

Plus, Iron Man just did a superior people-as-organic-bombs story recently. So meh.

Uncanny X-Men --
    So Scott tells the Mayor it's not a militia, but an army. Hmm. For a while I thought writers were going to take Scott on some badly mis-timed Jack Bauer nonsense, now I just kind of wonder what the plan is.

desc on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hooooooly shit. Have you guys seen the promo cover for Wolverine 72?

No pic, just description
    Captain America with his skull made to look like the Red Skull. Looks like hes alive. Could just be the red skull in that outfit but he looks insane/in pain to me.

Uh, that's just the Redskull wearing cap's mask.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Although DW's interpretation is an idea so crazy that I could legitimately see Millar considering.
    What a horrendously awful future Old Man Logan is in.
    Skull murdered all the heroes?
    God. I hate alternate futures, all the worst shit that can happen to your heroes happens.

Is there any future that Marvel has shown that doesn't involve all of the heroes getting killed in the early 21st century?

Crimsondude on